Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harry King asks what progress in our football program will look like in 2014

Started by WizardofhOgZ, April 11, 2014, 08:51:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hoglady

I thought the coaching staff did a bad job last year.
But that doesn't mean they'll have a repeat performance this year.
If we get to a bowl this year - any bowl, that would be great progress.
That's what I'm hoping for.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2014, 07:40:38 am
I agree with this. And you know, if we came out and only won 5 games this year but played everybody tough right down to the wire, including Alabama, Auburn, A&M, Georgia and LSU and we lost big games by only 7 points or less, in the absence of glaring mistakes, I would say that is progress and improvement. In other words, solid competitive play. I wouldn't be happy about only winning 5 games, but I think I could rationally see improvement.

No doubt Bielema would still find himself on the hotseat headed into year three and those who have been his detractors from day one would flame on about how they were right. But even a season like I mentioned above would indicate that we are on the right road to success.

IMHO if winning 5 means going 4-0 in Non-conference play and 1-7 in SEC play, that isn't acceptable improvement. There is no way this team should win less than 3 SEC games.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hogcard1964

Quote from: hoglady on April 14, 2014, 04:03:08 pm
I thought the coaching staff did a bad job last year.
But that doesn't mean they'll have a repeat performance this year.
If we get to a bowl this year - any bowl, that would be great progress.
That's what I'm hoping for.
^
This

I could accept a bowl appearance.

Modsquad24

this is a garbage cover up article for the football program, basketball has had winning seasons every year Anderson has been there, as well as no 0fer in sec on his track record, actually 2 out of 3 winning sec records. I think Harry king owes MA an apology for this BS, not well researched article, thats all.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Modsquad24 on April 17, 2014, 09:30:00 am
this is a garbage cover up article for the football program, basketball has had winning seasons every year Anderson has been there, as well as no 0fer in sec on his track record, actually 2 out of 3 winning sec records. I think Harry king owes MA an apology for this BS, not well researched article, thats all.
+1000 Mod. just remember this about Harry King. he was one of the few still fighting to keep Nutt. he fought to keep him until the last Dog died. that says it all.

ifghog

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on April 14, 2014, 04:24:42 pm
IMHO if winning 5 means going 4-0 in Non-conference play and 1-7 in SEC play, that isn't acceptable improvement. There is no way this team should win less than 3 SEC games.
I disagree with you  but that is ok. That is what this board is for. If we win 2 SEC Games I will be excited! We win 6games this year CBB should be COY!

Mike_e

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2014, 03:09:52 pm
Ford was 26-30-1 in five years with three 4-7 seasons, including his last two.  To me that's not "success", no matter how low the bar may be lowered in an attempt to find a level of achievement that qualifies.

Ford got kicked to the curb in '97, before the '98 and '99 seasons (both His players/team) that Nutt is famous for.  He also had Joe Ferguson as a QB coach and was implementing a pro style offense- to which hdn rode to a ten year stint here due to his success his first two years here.

Building a program IS the right thing to do.  Rebuilding over and over is indicative of both  not having firm foundation and lack of maintenance.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

lumphog

Quote from: Mike_e on April 17, 2014, 10:13:04 am
Ford got kicked to the curb in '97, before the '98 and '99 seasons (both His players/team) that Nutt is famous for.  He also had Joe Ferguson as a QB coach and was implementing a pro style offense- to which hdn rode to a ten year stint here due to his success his first two years here.

Building a program IS the right thing to do.  Rebuilding over and over is indicative of both  not having firm foundation and lack of maintenance.
^^^THIS^^^ Ford did some good things & was the reason for Nutt's success. The ONLY reason, other than some HomeGrown Studs!!! Nutt should have won a NC with that crop of studs. Like the Bible says, If you build a foundation on a rock . . . . CBB is building that foundation.

code red

King is spot on with this article.  Razorback fans that look at this season and say there are 8 wins in there are somewhat optimistic to say the least.  The fact of the matter is that this is one of the toughest schedules in college football.  If we win 1 SEC game next year it will be a successful season...in my opinion.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

code red

Quote from: lumphog on April 17, 2014, 11:24:06 am
^^^THIS^^^ Ford did some good things & was the reason for Nutt's success. The ONLY reason, other than some HomeGrown Studs!!! Nutt should have won a NC with that crop of studs. Like the Bible says, If you build a foundation on a rock . . . . CBB is building that foundation.
I agree but the question is....can he recruit well enough for his style?  Lets face a 23rd recruiting ranking in the nation is equivalent to last in the SEC West.  It is tough recruit players that fit in a downhill system....when Bama and other traditional smash mouth teams lock them up.  I hope like heck we are bowling this year...but, I just don't see how.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

lumphog

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2014, 11:41:21 am
I agree but the question is....can he recruit well enough for his style?  Lets face a 23rd recruiting ranking in the nation is equivalent to last in the SEC West.  It is tough recruit players that fit in a downhill system....when Bama and other traditional smash mouth teams lock them up.  I hope like heck we are bowling this year...but, I just don't see how.
We've always been behind the 8-ball . . . Pittman WILL get the O-linemen & I'm hoping CBB can keep developing diamonds, BUT, our future hinges on our in-state crop & we have a NICE core for the next 3 or so years. IF we can keep them home & continue to recruit at the rate we ARE NOW, I see us building a solid foundation that continues to rise. I drink Kool-Aid to chase the shine & I see it shine bright in the future. I like where we're headed & with a Slap you in the mouth reputation, I see our recruiting getting better.

Kevin

3-9, 0-8 last year

what would you say if this year, is
4-8, 1-7 sec
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

code red

Quote from: lumphog on April 17, 2014, 11:55:48 am
We've always been behind the 8-ball . . . Pittman WILL get the O-linemen & I'm hoping CBB can keep developing diamonds, BUT, our future hinges on our in-state crop & we have a NICE core for the next 3 or so years. IF we can keep them home & continue to recruit at the rate we ARE NOW, I see us building a solid foundation that continues to rise. I drink Kool-Aid to chase the shine & I see it shine bright in the future. I like where we're headed & with a Slap you in the mouth reputation, I see our recruiting getting better.
But....our open style made defenses honest.  That was the reason for our success under Bobby.  Let me ask you a question??  Which teams have been a thorn in Sabans side????  I'll tell you who.  Auburn, Oklahoma and aTm.  Spread teams.  The spread style doesn't require physical specimens.  When you are playing football in a phone booth...you better be more physical.

lumphog

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2014, 12:30:46 pm
But....our open style made defenses honest.  That was the reason for our success under Bobby.  Let me ask you a question??  Which teams have been a thorn in Sabans side????  I'll tell you who.  Auburn and aTm.  Spread teams.
agree, Look at what Chaney did at TN & compare the #'s to Bob. With Pittman's O-line (like at TN) we will be able to run on anyone. Now, mix a little field stretchin in there & we become dangerous against anyone. Keep em honest & make em pay. I think Chaney is KEY to our success & can get it done IF he gets the reigns. We HAVE the staff in place to build a MONSTER that will punch you in the mouth & make you play honest. IF we get Chaney's passing attack to go with a strong physical running attack . . . Look Out!!!

code red

Quote from: lumphog on April 17, 2014, 12:40:49 pm
agree, Look at what Chaney did at TN & compare the #'s to Bob. With Pittman's O-line (like at TN) we will be able to run on anyone. Now, mix a little field stretchin in there & we become dangerous against anyone. Keep em honest & make em pay. I think Chaney is KEY to our success & can get it done IF he gets the reigns.
I think the play calling was extremely suspect last year...all year.  Rutgers.  Why so conservative in the 4th.  Auburn.  Why let Derby come in cold and throw a pass in the red zone....and it wasn't even 3rd down?  Mississippi State....anyho...Chaney may be a great play caller but, someone had their fingers in the cookie jar.

code red

Quote from: Kevin on April 17, 2014, 11:58:59 am
3-9, 0-8 last year

what would you say if this year, is
4-8, 1-7 sec

I would say year 3 better be something special.  5 wins is approaching the ceiling next year tho.

lumphog

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2014, 12:46:05 pm
I think the play calling was extremely suspect last year...all year.  Rutgers.  Why so conservative in the 4th.  Auburn.  Why let Derby come in cold and throw a pass in the red zone....and it wasn't even 3rd down?  Mississippi State....anyho...Chaney may be a great play caller but, someone had their fingers in the cookie jar.
The way I see it . . . Bob left us in a tight spot talent wise & Smith and PP Throwin BA to the wolves didn't help either. Paul aint no Bobby. Anywho . . . I'm a Hog fan for LIFE & I'm trying to see a silverlining. I can see "IF" allthese things fall into place, We could be building a Monster that will compete. I see what CBB is trying to do and I like it. And, I was NOT happy when CBB was named HC, but the more I see what he's trying to do the more I get excited about the future. He's building "HIS OWN" foundation for future success . . . Something we haven't seen a HC do in a looong time. It's going to take time & I'm not going to stop being a Hog fan, I'm going to ride this out like I always have.

forrest city joe

Quote from: code red on April 17, 2014, 11:33:50 am
King is spot on with this article.  Razorback fans that look at this season and say there are 8 wins in there are somewhat optimistic to say the least.  The fact of the matter is that this is one of the toughest schedules in college football.  If we win 1 SEC game next year it will be a successful season...in my opinion.
Stop with the toughest schedules stuff. the schedule is not going to change as long as we are in the sec. so you people are going to have to get over it.we are going to be playing this these teams from now on. just like we have been over 20 years now. IT'S NOT GOING TO CHANGE. SO STOP USING it AS AN EXCUSE FOR LOSING! we need to start back winning. and given time i think coach B can get the job done.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Breems on April 12, 2014, 07:40:37 pm
I can't see *too* much improvement on the way while dealing with the same QB situation.
as long as BA doesn't dive onto his throwing shoulder, we should be fine.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

forrest city joe

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 18, 2014, 10:11:21 pm
You could not be more wrong if you tried.
I am right. i was on one side of the fight. and i remember Harry King being on the other side. you can't rewrite history.Harry King was attacking fans at that time instead of Nutt. get your facts right.

Sivad

Quote from: Mike_e on April 17, 2014, 10:13:04 am
Many overlook this. Danny Ford should have been allowed to coach the team he built.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 18, 2014, 09:19:17 pm
as long as BA doesn't dive onto his throwing shoulder, we should be fine.

or slide with his legs exposed... btw, what does that leave?

hog911

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on April 11, 2014, 01:42:05 pm
I think Harry poses some interesting and valid questions.

We could be significantly improved and still have a losing record with the schedule before us.  Other than the Nichols State and UAB games, there are NO "automatic wins" on our slate.  You'd like to think we should be N. Illinois, and it's true that they lost their all-everything QB.  But you don't get to the Orange Bowl without least some talent and coaching.  No football team is totally dependent on any 1 player.  And you know they'll come to town with a "nothing to lose" giant-killer attitude.

Tech on the road will be no picnic.  I've attended a game there recently and it's a much more hostile environment these days than those who haven't been there since the SWC games will remember.  Plus, the idea of a hurry up passing offense vs. our defense makes me shudder.

We were awfully close to winning a SEC game last year, but we did not.  You'd like to think we'll break through that this year, but we will be underdogs in most if not all conference games we play.

So the question remains - if we win, say, 5 games . . . will the fans start building the bonfire?  Or, will they understand that it takes 2-3 years to build your base, especially in the ultra-competitive SEC?

Harry makes an interesting comparison to Mike Anderson's progress in Basketball as well.

I seriously doubt we get 5 wins this season. Most likely we will win three! We still have way too much improving to do in ever aspect of the game (including coaching) to expect any real improvement!

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!