Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

NCAA Basketball Rule Changes up for discussion

Started by jbcarol, April 11, 2014, 07:43:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

•Reducing the number of timeouts.

•The reduction of the shot clock...

•Eliminating live-ball timeouts

•Changing the 10-second rule so that a team has ten seconds total to cross half court. Calling a timeout in the back court currently refreshes the clock.

There are a few other rules on the table — widening the lane, using the NBA's continuation rule, no scoring on charges — but those four are the big four that have been complained about the most.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/10/report-more-rules-changes-could-be-on-the-way-next-season

Games that are sometimes not fantastic finishes do drag on at the end. Put in a few 15-minute monitor reviews to change the clock from :4.1 to :4.3...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

bigredone

Eliminating the live ball timeouts would be a huge boost to trapping teams such as Arkansas. Lowering the number of time outs would also.

That being said, I don't want the college game to look anything like the sorry state of the pro game. I will not waste my time watching NBA lite.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 11, 2014, 07:43:10 am

•Changing the 10-second rule so that a team has ten seconds total to cross half court. Calling a timeout in the back court currently refreshes the clock.

There are a few other rules on the table — widening the lane, using the NBA's continuation rule, no scoring on charges — but those four are the big four that have been complained about the most.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/10/report-more-rules-changes-could-be-on-the-way-next-season

Games that are sometimes not fantastic finishes do drag on at the end. Put in a few 15-minute monitor reviews to change the clock from :4.1 to :4.3...

The worst rule in basketball is the tie ball alternating possession. I think it should be a turnover. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

skinnypig

They need to look at all the time spent checking monitors. As well as do away with all this flagrant 1 flagrant 2 BS. and anything to lower the number of timeouts, the college game has lost all its flow, due to too many fouls and too many time outs. i am tired of these so called good games that end 58-57 and the last minute of clock time takes 45 min in real time to play.

The Hogfather

Quote from: bigredone on April 11, 2014, 08:02:37 am
Eliminating the live ball timeouts would be a huge boost to trapping teams such as Arkansas. Lowering the number of time outs would also.

This is what I was thinking!  I love these possible rule changes for the Hogs.  I'm not so sure about reducing the shot clock.  I'm not sure I want that for the college game.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Whatever they decide they have to slow down the pace of the game.  I'm thinking more timeouts, or the offense cannot score within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hawg Red

I'm in favor of the bullet points but not so much the other stuff like continuation, etc.

nextlevel

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 11, 2014, 08:38:38 am
This is what I was thinking!  I love these possible rule changes for the Hogs.  I'm not so sure about reducing the shot clock.  I'm not sure I want that for the college game.

Plenty of teams wait until the final 10-15 seconds to run their sets, that is 20-25 seconds wasted outside of what it takes to get the ball up the court in today's game.

Even reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds like the women use would be a tremendous help to speeding the tempo up and increasing scoring (possibly, plenty of bad shooting teams out there).

Changing the 10 second back court rule would also aid in this, if some teams take 9 seconds before calling a TO, they are likely to take 8-9 more to get the ball across.

The rules are obviously in an attempt to reduce the strategy of valuing time of possession over scoring used by some coaches.

The number of reduced time outs should come at the cost of TV time outs, as of now they have what? 3 per half 6 total not counting half time. That should be reduced to 4 as TV can use a TO when a team calls one as well. That isn't going to happen because of the money involved, but today you basically have the coaches and TV with the same amount of TOs, way too many.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

The Hogfather

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 09:38:57 am
Even reducing the shot clock to 30 seconds like the women use would be a tremendous help to speeding the tempo up and increasing scoring (possibly, plenty of bad shooting teams out there).

I don't care a thing about artificially increasing scoring by forcing teams to shoot quicker.  I think the shot clock for college is fine where it is.

nextlevel

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 11, 2014, 09:59:58 am
I don't care a thing about artificially increasing scoring by forcing teams to shoot quicker.  I think the shot clock for college is fine where it is.

That's fine.

Women's College Basketball uses a 30 clock.

The rest of the world uses a 24 clock.

I'm not a fan of the 24, 30 would be a good compromise as it will still allow teams to run offenses instead of poor sets on the college level.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

jry04

That being said, I don't want the college game to look anything like the sorry state of the pro game. I will not waste my time watching NBA lite.
I bet you do. No matter what the rules are, you will still watch the game if you are a fan. You may complain a bunch, but you will still watch it.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 11, 2014, 08:48:11 am
Whatever they decide they have to slow down the pace of the game.  I'm thinking more timeouts, or the offense cannot score within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock.
I am going to assume this is a troll attempt?

Brass Knob

Reducing the number of timeouts is desperately needed. You already have 4 built in, under 16, under 12, under 8, and under 4 TV timeouts. I am also in favor of reducing the shot clock to 28-30 seconds, 24 seems too low for college. The back court count needs to be changed. I do not know about not eliminating "live-ball timeouts". There The first couple would be positive steps IMO.

azhog10

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 09:38:57 am

The number of reduced time outs should come at the cost of TV time outs, as of now they have what? 3 per half 6 total not counting half time. That should be reduced to 4 as TV can use a TO when a team calls one as well. That isn't going to happen because of the money involved, but today you basically have the coaches and TV with the same amount of TOs, way too many.
You get 6 TO's a game. If you don't use one in the first half you lose it. So you can only have 5 TO's going into the 2nd half.

EastexHawg

Do away with the strategy of being able to foul as a method of playing catch up.  Give the team that is fouled within the last two minutes the option of shooting two free throws OR shooting one free throw and taking the ball out of bounds...provided they are in the bonus or it's a shooting foul, of course.

It's ridiculous that the team that is trailing is allowed to dictate how the team that is leading will run its offense.  In football you're not allowed to commit a defensive penalty to make the offense attempt a field goal and then kick the ball back to you.

nextlevel

Some coaches will foul when up by 3 with seconds left to prevent the opportunity for the opponent to hit a 3 and tie, instead have to settle for 2 at the line or 1 and a rebounding opportunity.

Both are legit strategies in the game and should not be taken away.

This is not football.

ell oh ell

jry04

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 11, 2014, 10:43:26 am
No, just concerned about player safety.
Ahh, ok. You hate Bielema so you made an attempt to derail a thread to fit your agenda. My mistake, carry on.

colbs

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 11, 2014, 10:43:26 am
No, just concerned about player safety.
Basketball and football are not good comparisons.  In basketball there are dead ball situations and the defense can actually substitute.  Unlike football were the defense can only sub if the offense does.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

azhog10

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 11:33:11 am
Some coaches will foul when up by 3 with seconds left to prevent the opportunity for the opponent to hit a 3 and tie, instead have to settle for 2 at the line or 1 and a rebounding opportunity.

Both are legit strategies in the game and should not be taken away.

This is not football.
I use this strategy when I'm coaching high school basketball. The fact very few coaches like this method is beyond me. The probability of having to make the first free throw and then miss the 2nd one and get the rebound and score is much lower than being able to hit a three to tie.

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Pro game is better than ever.  Just the regular season needs to be shortened.

Brass Knob

Quote from: azhog10 on April 11, 2014, 12:41:51 pm
I use this strategy when I'm coaching high school basketball. The fact very few coaches like this method is beyond me. The probability of having to make the first free throw and then miss the 2nd one and get the rebound and score is much lower than being able to hit a three to tie.

Seems like it should be but there have been "studies" that show it actually comes out pretty even in the end. Obviously, the closer to 0 the clock gets the better your chances of winning gets by fouling in place of letting them attempt a three. Memphis fans talk about it all the time, since Cal did not have his team foul Chalmers at the end of the NC game...

nextlevel

Quote from: azhog10 on April 11, 2014, 12:41:51 pm

Depends on the situation, time left in the game, opposition.

Just as there isn't really a set rule on when you start to foul when behind in a game, I watched one where the team was beat, but started to foul with 4 minutes left in the game, their opponent allowed them back into the game via missed free throws.

ell oh ell

Brass Knob

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 11, 2014, 12:46:48 pm
Pro game is better than ever.  Just the regular season needs to be shortened.

I think some people just have a hard time understanding how freakishly strong, fast, athletic, and skilled professional basketball players are. I watch it a lot and they play defense, it is just hard, even impossible at times, to stop some of these guys and teams when they get rolling. There are the occasional possessions and games that teams "take off", but far and away the NBA is a good product.

nextlevel

ell oh ell

Brass Knob

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 12:52:58 pm

Just as there isn't really a set rule on when you start to foul when behind in a game, I watched one where the team was beat, but started to foul with 4 minutes left in the game, their opponent allowed them back into the game via missed free throws.

You talking about St. Louis vs. NC State? I wanted to vomit when SL started fouling that early and was laughing at them because of the lead. Apparently, the joke was on me since they came back and won.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 12:53:45 pm
Highly debatable.

Not really.  More depth and quality players than in a long, long time. 

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 11, 2014, 12:53:37 pm
I think some people just have a hard time understanding how freakishly strong, fast, athletic, and skilled professional basketball players are. I watch it a lot and they play defense, it is just hard, even impossible at times, to stop some of these guys and teams when they get rolling. There are the occasional possessions and games that teams "take off", but far and away the NBA is a good product.

I agree.  And their size is hard to appreciate unless you go see them live and sit close.  It's amazing men that large can move like that.

nextlevel

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 11, 2014, 12:53:37 pm

It depends on what the viewer values in what they see.

The NBA has athletes, no debate, some would prefer to see more "teams".

You can find people who think the NFL is on a downhill slide because of it being a primarily passing league now, the run game importance/production is steadily diminishing. People who value strong run games towards their entertainment and satisfaction will not approve of all the passing.

TV ratings and fan discussion will be the best indicator of actual approval of the audiences. Generally, unless some stat driven topic (points scored, x amount of points scored per game streak, Sixers losing streak, Spurs winning streak, etc.) there isn't near the debate discussion for the NBA as there is for the NFL until the playoffs for the NBA. Teams with losing records making the NBA playoffs doesn't lead to the belief that it is at an all time high either.

ell oh ell

nextlevel

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 11, 2014, 12:54:51 pm
You talking about St. Louis vs. NC State? I wanted to vomit when SL started fouling that early and was laughing at them because of the lead. Apparently, the joke was on me since they came back and won.

Yes, the irony (not really irony, but work with me here) is that it happened to NC State for them too lose when it was Jimmy V at NC State who first starting use the fouling strategy to create wins.

ell oh ell

The real Hogules

If the player shooting the ball releases it "prior to" the charge I see no reason that the basket shouldn't count.

That's the only proposed rule change that you mentioned that I'm against.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 12:58:19 pm
It depends on what the viewer values in what they see.

The NBA has athletes, no debate, some would prefer to see more "teams".

You'll see more teamwork in the NBA than in college.  Just with different goals to get different kinds of shots.

TV ratings and fan discussion will be the best indicator of actual approval of the audiences. Generally, unless some stat driven topic (points scored, x amount of points scored per game streak, Sixers losing streak, Spurs winning streak, etc.) there isn't near the debate discussion for the NBA as there is for the NFL until the playoffs for the NBA. Teams with losing records making the NBA playoffs doesn't lead to the belief that it is at an all time high either.

That's due to the number of games.  The games matter more in the NFL because there are so few of them. 

bigredone

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 11, 2014, 01:22:44 pm
You'll see more teamwork in the NBA than in college.  Just with different goals to get different kinds of shots.

The NBA gives too much to the stars. I honestly gave up on about the time Bird and Magic left the game. Even they got away with running half the court without dribbling with no travel call. Bird and Magic both made the players around them better.

And anyone that thinks that Shaq was a basketball player never paid attention to a real game of basketball. If they had called offensive fouls fairly he would have never made it through a single half. Shaq was a terrific athlete but he was not a basketball player.

The NBA is about letting the stars do whatever they want. If someone decides to play defense (Patrick Beverly) they are considered a thug.

The only pro sport I give a hoot about anymore is baseball, and I even prefer minor league there because they seem to have something left to prove.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: bigredone on April 11, 2014, 03:21:39 pm
The NBA gives too much to the stars. I honestly gave up on about the time Bird and Magic left the game. Even they got away with running half the court without dribbling with no travel call. Bird and Magic both made the players around them better.

And anyone that thinks that Shaq was a basketball player never paid attention to a real game of basketball. If they had called offensive fouls fairly he would have never made it through a single half. Shaq was a terrific athlete but he was not a basketball player.

The NBA is about letting the stars do whatever they want. If someone decides to play defense (Patrick Beverly) they are considered a thug.

The only pro sport I give a hoot about anymore is baseball, and I even prefer minor league there because they seem to have something left to prove.

You really, really need to watch the playoffs.  At least the Western Conference.  If you haven't watched in 20 years, you're missing out.

The_Iceman

Timeouts have to be addressed. A game can go into the second half with potentially 14 clock stoppage points (4 TV, 5 coach TO's on each side).

That's way too many.

Brass Knob

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 11, 2014, 03:34:22 pm
Timeouts have to be addressed. A game can go into the second half with potentially 14 clock stoppage points (4 TV, 5 coach TO's on each side).

That's way too many.

In 20 minutes of play... That is absurd.

Brass Knob

Quote from: bigredone on April 11, 2014, 03:21:39 pm

???

Ugh...
NBA rookie of year
NBA all rookie team
15 time all star with 3 all star game MVP awards
NBA first team 8 times
NBA scoring leader 2 times
NBA regular season MVP 1 time
4 NBA championship rings and 3 Finals MVP awards

Ya, he was just a great athlete but not a basketball player, just like Lebron James...

Jek Tono Porkins

They have to do something about fouling at the end of the game. I think they should make those fouls flagrant fouls. The Georgia/arkansas game was a pain in the ass because of all the fouls at the end. What's the difference between intentionally fouling someone to prevent them from scoring a basket and intentionally fouling someone to prevent them from running out the clock? That's the worst part of the game by far.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Danny J

I hope they do all 4 of those things.

choppedporkextrasauce

The pro game is so hard to watch.

I'd like the 10 second rule reduced to 8 with no resets.
I'd also like them to fix the charge/block call but that's like asking for world peace and the winning lottery ticket.  I'm still freaked out they changed the call on Fred Gulley correctly in the Cal game.
It would be nice if they shortened the time clock to 30 or 28 seconds.
After this disastrous season they need to de-emphasize the hand checks. It made the game longer and more about free throw shooting skill. Seriously they are beating the living hell out of each other inside and a light touch 25 feet from the bucket gets a quick whistle.

nextlevel

Quote from: ReddieHawg on April 11, 2014, 05:27:19 pm
They have to do something about fouling at the end of the game. I think they should make those fouls flagrant fouls. The Georgia/arkansas game was a pain in the ass because of all the fouls at the end. What's the difference between intentionally fouling someone to prevent them from scoring a basket and intentionally fouling someone to prevent them from running out the clock? That's the worst part of the game by far.

Absolutely not, doing so would devalue one of the most important fundamentals in basketball, free throwing shooting.

Most games are won or lost on the line.

ell oh ell

root_hawg

EastexHawg

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 07:34:33 pm
Absolutely not, doing so would devalue one of the most important fundamentals in basketball, free throwing shooting.

Most games are won or lost on the line.

A foul is supposed to be a penalty.  The way the rules work now, it's not.  Give the team that is fouled the option of shooting two or one plus the ball.   Free throw shooting will still be an important fundamental and the last two minutes of games won't last 20-30 minutes.

hvsupastar

One thing I would like to see changed is, if the game is stopped for a monitor review,  teams should not be able to treat it like a timeout. Currently players are all at their own bench and coaches are doing some coaching.
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

Ironhawg

If they shorten the shot clock I hope they go no lower than 30 seconds.  The 24 in the NBA is just too short.  I hope they reduce the timeouts too.

GuvHog

Quote from: Brass Knob on April 11, 2014, 04:40:46 pm
???

Ugh...
NBA rookie of year
NBA all rookie team
15 time all star with 3 all star game MVP awards
NBA first team 8 times
NBA scoring leader 2 times
NBA regular season MVP 1 time
4 NBA championship rings and 3 Finals MVP awards

Ya, he was just a great athlete but not a basketball player, just like Lebron James...

Pull up some video's of Kareem Adul Jabbar (spelling?) and Akeem "the Dream" Olajuan, THEN you will see what Big men who really were Great basketball players looked like. IMHO either one in their prime would have schooled Shaq and any of todays NBA big men.

I like three of those four rule changes, in particular the 10 second rule change. I've always believed that allowing a team to call a time out to prevent a 10 second violation and then the refs starting the count all over is wrong.

3 timeouts per half to be used as either 20 second or full time outs at the HC discretion.

Leave the shot clock alone.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

azhog10

Quote from: nextlevel on April 11, 2014, 12:52:58 pm

well obviously I'm not talking about doing it with 5 secs left. I have my guys foul with 2 secs left. In high school the person working the clock is normally a little slow so we can usually get the free throws with 1 sec left. Missing a free throw and getting the rebound and shot with 1 sec is highly unlikely. Some say odds are reall pretty much even. I would disagree. I've seen numerous threes to tie at the end of regulation. I have maybe seen only one successful miss and tip in. They aren't that close at all.

bigredone

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on April 12, 2014, 10:31:36 am
Pull up some video's of Kareem Adul Jabbar (spelling?) and Akeem "the Dream" Olajuan, THEN you will see what Big men who really were Great basketball players looked like. IMHO either one in their prime would have schooled Shaq and any of todays NBA big men.

I like three of those four rule changes, in particular the 10 second rule change. I've always believed that allowing a team to call a time out to prevent a 10 second violation and then the refs starting the count all over is wrong.

3 timeouts per half to be used as either 20 second or full time outs at the HC discretion.

Leave the shot clock alone.

A lot of agreement from me.

I want the shot clock left alone because it does allow the teams that want a half court offense to run it. I will not watch the NBA and don't want to lose college basketball to the same rule.

I can understand making changes to the lane to fit the international game although I think it is not needed.

The 10 second rule I am not really worried about either way.

I like the dead ball time out rule after thinking about it more. It would not only help the trapping defenses, it should help any good defensive team.

We definitely need a limit on timeouts during a game. If needed make halftime a minute longer to accommodate more commercials.

I like the free throw rules as they are. If a team cannot hit free throws at the end of the game they don't deserve to win.

Off topic again, what basketball skills did Shaq demonstrate? Free throw shooting? LOL. Jump shooting? That's a laugh. He was a great ball handler, right? His skill was that he was massive enough to knock people out of the lane and get a dunk. Most people that do that get called for an offensive foul. And he was always upset when anyone laid a hand on him, remember the cries about "hack a Shaq"?

I will stick with college basketball as long as it remains about the teams and not individual players. Turn it into NBA lite and I am done with it.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 11, 2014, 08:23:43 am
The worst rule in basketball is the tie ball alternating possession. I think it should be a turnover. 

I think the NBA gets this one right, have the two player involved jump it just like in the NBA. I don't like it being a turnover, because both people have possesion.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan