Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If the defense needs depth, why are all the position switches going to offense?

Started by JIHawg, April 10, 2014, 11:19:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Korliss a running back instead of a safety, DuWop a receiver instead of a safety, and Derby a tight end instead of a line backer.

Do the players have some say in what they switch to?  Seems like these three guys could provide some much needed depth on the defense.

LZH

I did wonder that about KM when it came out that he was only gonna play RB.

The Boar War

Even if it's not the position I'm sure there's some basic choice on the part of the player.  Personally I don't want anyone on defense who really doesn't want to be there.

immahog

Quote from: JIHawg on April 10, 2014, 11:19:15 pm
Korliss a running back instead of a safety, DuWop a receiver instead of a safety, and Derby a tight end instead of a line backer.

Do the players have some say in what they switch to?  Seems like these three guys could provide some much needed depth on the defense.

I missed this one DuWop is a receiver now?
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

lefty08

maybe the coaches are content with what they have on defense. between last years players and the newcomers maybe they think they have enough on that side of the ball. In case nobody noticed, we needed major help in the receivers/tight end department as well
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

IBleedRazorbackRed

We needed quality depth, not just depth.

Korliss- maybe, just maybe, korliss Dorset have the natural instincts to play safety. If KM could play safety at a high level, he'd be there

Duwop and Derby- my guess here is that it'd be an easier transition from qb to another offensive position. They don't have to learn a whole new playbook and start over

Mike Irwin

Alex Collins wasn't doing everything he needed to do in the off season. The coaches were worried about his situation so they kept Marshall at running back. The problem with Collins appears to have worked itself out but it looks like Marshall did enough during that time to convince the coaches that he needs to stay there. It ought to make make some of you happy since you think Marshall is as good as Collins anyway.

As for Damon Mitchell this just happened so there hasn't been an explanation yet. They are short on receivers right now and it's a major point of emphasis to get this team better at that position. I'm also guessing that when Chaney broke the news to Mitchell that he was too talented to work behind four other quarterbacks and he needed to change positions the kid said he'd like to take a crack at receiver.

Derby was a highly rated tight end in high school. Bielema loves tight ends and they are short there right due to Mitchell Loewen's injury

PorkRinds

I think the explanation is probably fairly simple.  They are guys that have been studying the Offensive playbook.  So if they are going to switch positions, it's only natural for it to be on offense, because they won't have to learn a completely new playbook.  Derby and Mitchell were both QB's, so running the routes and knowing the play calls will help them in those positions.

urkillnmesmalls

I know Marshall played some defense in HS, but it wasn't primary.  To expect a kid to play safety at the D1 level from other positions other than corner, is asking a lot.  Maybe he's the best one we have, but they want him on offense...I have no idea.  I have to believe that if they thought he was even in the top 3, he would be playing at that position since he's already stated that he's willing and would actually like to play there.   

A big part of playing safety is instinct.  It's like taking a really good shortstop and trying to convert him to center field in his Sr. year of High School or beyond.  He may be fast enough to cover ground, and have plenty of arm for that position, but he's not going to have the instincts to play the ball off the bat until he gets in a lot of reps.  It's not something you learn overnight.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bennyl08

Ward from OL to DT. Johnson switched from DE to DL. Brignoni from S to LB.

Given that Marshall only saw the field as a running back last season, then, the defense actually gained a player with Ward coming over.

Also, I would venture a guess that Duwop's position is in flux right now. We've heard one report that he was working with the receivers for one practice. He may end up staying there, or by fall, he may have moved to safety, or he could even stay at qb.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

razorsharptusk

Seem's to me you could have the ability to play defense, but if you lack that "I want to knock your head off" attitude that's in every great defensive player, I'm not sure you would excel at it.  Maybe these guys just don't have that mentality and aggression.  Of course, then there's Skipper...
GO HOGS!!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 11, 2014, 08:16:57 am
A big part of playing safety is instinct.  It's like taking a really good shortstop and trying to convert him to center field in his Sr. year of High School or beyond.  He may be fast enough to cover ground, and have plenty of arm for that position, but he's not going to have the instincts to play the ball off the bat until he gets in a lot of reps.  It's not something you learn overnight.     

Here's a little insight into what it takes to play DB at the college and NFL level from former Cowboy DB and OU Safety, Randy Hughes. He was big for a Safety in college and even in the NFL at 6-4, 210.

"The Cowboys defense, when I first came there, was different than everybody else's. Everywhere I had always played, you watched the football and reacted. With the Cowboys, you didn't watch the football. You had keys".

"Like for instance, at my position, I'd key the guard and tackle and on the back. Not the ball. You had to key through this person to the ball. In other words, you didn't watch the ball first, you watched the person. And once you picked that person up, then you went to the ball".

"That's why you never saw rookies start for the Cowboys on defense. It was a really hard defense. Completely different than anything you'd ever seen in your life. It was Tom Landry's invention. And if you believed in it and had faith in it, it worked."
Go Hogs Go!

three hog night

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 12, 2014, 06:47:54 am
Ward from OL to DT. Johnson switched from DE to DL. Brignoni from S to LB.

Given that Marshall only saw the field as a running back last season, then, the defense actually gained a player with Ward coming over.

Also, I would venture a guess that Duwop's position is in flux right now. We've heard one report that he was working with the receivers for one practice. He may end up staying there, or by fall, he may have moved to safety, or he could even stay at qb.

A good summation of the situation....unfortunately, there will be someone that finds fault in this too.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

k.c.hawg

You have to have a real desire to play defense to be a good defensive player. Linemen are much more interchangeable than skilled position players. To switch an offensive skilled position player to a defensive play making position that player better have a real desire to play defense and a defensive attitude.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: JIHawg on April 10, 2014, 11:19:15 pm

Because that's where the coaches think they can best help the team at this point in time. Just because you think a player "can play" a defensive position doesn't mean the coaches think that. 

Additionally, just because a player is a good athlete doesn't mean he is capable of playing safety.  Make a mistake at safety and it's probably 6 points.  Make a mistake at WR and it's probably a missed block, a dropped pass or a busted route.   

Calling All Hogs

People that think KM should not play at running back simply got spoiled last year when we made it through the SEC with two major backs who both managed to not get seriously injured in a run heavy offense.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

nextlevel

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2014, 07:52:43 am
Alex Collins wasn't doing everything he needed to do in the off season. The coaches were worried about his situation so they kept Marshall at running back. The problem with Collins appears to have worked itself out but it looks like Marshall did enough during that time to convince the coaches that he needs to stay there. It ought to make make some of you happy since you think Marshall is as good as Collins anyway.

As for Damon Mitchell this just happened so there hasn't been an explanation yet. They are short on receivers right now and it's a major point of emphasis to get this team better at that position. I'm also guessing that when Chaney broke the news to Mitchell that he was too talented to work behind four other quarterbacks and he needed to change positions the kid said he'd like to take a crack at receiver.

Derby was a highly rated tight end in high school. Bielema loves tight ends and they are short there right due to Mitchell Loewen's injury

The staff is high on several players who are at the safety position, some redshirted, some already here but improving, others new to campus but for the future.

DuWop will help the team more at WR where he will be a contributor in the near future, not guarantee either DuWop or Korliss would be starters, in the two deep, etc. at Safety.

Depth is needed at TE this year as well.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

nextlevel

Quote from: CallMeHog on April 14, 2014, 06:05:43 pm
People that think KM should not play at running back simply got spoiled last year when we made it through the SEC with two major backs who both managed to not get seriously injured in a run heavy offense.

CBB used three backs almost every year while at Wisconsin, KM has a valued skill set that differs from the other two, mainly break away speed. Seems that was the trend while CBB was at Wisconsin, no "clones" on the depth chart but backs who could do different things and do those things well. DMACs do not come around that often...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

JIHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on April 14, 2014, 06:08:49 pm
Do any of YOU have any football coaching experience whatsoever???

I had a friend at college who gave coaching a try, did what a lot of them do-started with coaching jr high football and basketball in a small town in Arkansas.  After two years, he hung it up.  When I asked him why, he said he just didn't want to live a life in which on Thursday night your happiness depended on the actions of a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds.  I took note of that and both of us decided to do other things.

What about you-what's your coaching pedigree?

By the way, lots of men are ob/gyn doctors, and I haven't found one yet who can have a baby.

Quote from: JIHawg on April 14, 2014, 06:25:32 pm
I had a friend at college who gave coaching a try, did what a lot of them do-started with coaching jr high football and basketball in a small town in Arkansas.  After two years, he hung it up.  When I asked him why, he said he just didn't want to live a life in which on Thursday night your happiness depended on the actions of a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds.  I took note of that and both of us decided to do other things.

What about you-what's your coaching pedigree?

By the way, lots of men are ob/gyn doctors, and I haven't found one yet who can have a baby.

Never coached a down in my life.  Forgot to hit the sarcasm button.

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

And btw, I think the question you pose is a very valid one and a good example of questioning without bashing.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2014, 08:09:45 am
I think the explanation is probably fairly simple.  They are guys that have been studying the Offensive playbook.  So if they are going to switch positions, it's only natural for it to be on offense, because they won't have to learn a completely new playbook.  Derby and Mitchell were both QB's, so running the routes and knowing the play calls will help them in those positions.

This and these guys are better with the ball in their hands than they are at stopping the other guys with the ball...  That and CBB said he isn't going to force anyone to make a move. Duwop can work with the QB's and WR's at the same time. Duwop also appears to be really interested in returning punts and kick off's...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: CallMeHog on April 14, 2014, 06:05:43 pm

This right here.  In the SEC, I think the days of having just one "feature" back are over.  It's too physical.  In the NFL for years now there has been a power back who can get tough yards, and a "scat" back type who is better on third down as either a runner, or catching the ball as an outlet from the backfield. 

Even the toughest of NFL backs aren't out there on every down any longer, and there's not really a Payton or Smith out there somehow managing to miraculously dodge injury any longer, and playing virtually every down.  AP at Minn. is probably the closest to that player, but he's had his share of injuries. 

I think having two excellent backs last season helped both of them stay healthy.  The odds of that happening again though, are not on our side.  I thought Walker and Marshall did an excellent job in that MSU game, and I wouldn't expect a big drop off should either of them be asked to do more for whatever reason.   

I look at it like this.  If Marshall was good enough at safety to start and be the clear cut best S out there...that's one thing.  If he's third or fourth best, then I think keeping him at RB is a better decision than converting him to safety.  In truth, I think that's what is going on.  Unless there's something differentiating himself at S, then why move him to that position when he's proven he can contribute at RB?     

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

HamShank

Watch Bielema's press conference. Read the newspaper. He said he never forces any player into any position. He said he offered Duwop both defensive and offensive positions (safety and wr specifically, among others). Duwop didn't want to try any. A week later, he asked Duwop to try WR for two weeks and that's still in the trial phase. Same goes for Derby. Derby wasn't happy at first, but is supposedly very happy at TE now.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 14, 2014, 09:16:26 pm
This right here.  In the SEC, I think the days of having just one "feature" back are over.  It's too physical.  In the NFL for years now there has been a power back who can get tough yards, and a "scat" back type who is better on third down as either a runner, or catching the ball as an outlet from the backfield. 

Even the toughest of NFL backs aren't out there on every down any longer, and there's not really a Payton or Smith out there somehow managing to miraculously dodge injury any longer, and playing virtually every down.  AP at Minn. is probably the closest to that player, but he's had his share of injuries. 

I think having two excellent backs last season helped both of them stay healthy.  The odds of that happening again though, are not on our side.  I thought Walker and Marshall did an excellent job in that MSU game, and I wouldn't expect a big drop off should either of them be asked to do more for whatever reason.   

I look at it like this.  If Marshall was good enough at safety to start and be the clear cut best S out there...that's one thing.  If he's third or fourth best, then I think keeping him at RB is a better decision than converting him to safety.  In truth, I think that's what is going on.  Unless there's something differentiating himself at S, then why move him to that position when he's proven he can contribute at RB?     

^^^^this

Some on here would lead people to believe korliss was placed at RB by default.  When he actually earned playing time at that position.

la20688

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 12, 2014, 06:55:07 am
Seem's to me you could have the ability to play defense, but if you lack that "I want to knock your head off" attitude that's in every great defensive player, I'm not sure you would excel at it.  Maybe these guys just don't have that mentality and aggression.  Of course, then there's Skipper...
Right on the mark here. A completely different mentality between the two sides of he ball. Not everyone can make the move mentally. IMO

urkillnmesmalls

Instincts drive the safety position.  You get a mental clock in your head the longer you play there.  You get a feel for how much ground you can close, about how long it takes for a pass to travel a certain distance, and how to use angles.   

I just think it's a lot more difficult position to be thrust into than some think it is.  Yesterday I heard at least three callers to various state sports call in shows bringing that up, and talking about the desire to "hit someone" as being something not every player has.  From what I've seen KM is FEARLESS of contact, so I doubt that has anything to do with him playing S.  Yes, that's a big part of it, but it's WAY more than that. 

A good example is Mallett.  He has the arm to work against the instincts that most safeties have developed.  When you're expected to cover the left side of the field, and Mallett is beyond the right hash, you aren't expecting a dart to be thrown across the field 45-50 yards in the air.  So if you're hedging your bets out there thinking you've got that covered....all of the sudden the ball is there WAY faster than what you expected.

I played that position with "the buck stops here" mentality.  That's why when LSU hit that long pass at the end of last year's game, I wanted to Bruce Lee the TV.  You absolutely CANNOT give up a play like that, and we did it too many times last season for a myriad of reasons.  But you just can't let people behind you like that.   

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 15, 2014, 06:54:42 am
A good example is Mallett.  He has the arm to work against the instincts that most safeties have developed.  When you're expected to cover the left side of the field, and Mallett is beyond the right hash, you aren't expecting a dart to be thrown across the field 45-50 yards in the air.  So if you're hedging your bets out there thinking you've got that covered....all of the sudden the ball is there WAY faster than what you expected.

That pass he threw between the CB and the SS against LSU in LR a few years ago will go down as one of the most impressive throws I've ever seen - college or pro, live or on TV.  I was in the south EZ so I saw the same thing the secondary saw.  When RM turned his head and looked at Hamilton, the safety had turned his shoulders.  And by the time he cocked his arm the safety planted his foot and turned....and I was like "nooo".  And when he let it go, I was like "nooo".  Shoot man, that ball covered about 40 yards in one second....no exaggeration.

Years ago I sat in that same end zone and watched Billy Joe Tolliver make some unbelievable throws, and until that day he probably had the best arm I'd ever seen in person.  LSU had a QB (Russell?) that could sling it, and Aikman had a killer whip.  But none were nearly as impressive as RM's shot to Hamilton.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 15, 2014, 07:30:58 am
That pass he threw between the CB and the SS against LSU in LR a few years ago will go down as one of the most impressive throws I've ever seen - college or pro, live or on TV.  I was in the south EZ so I saw the same thing the secondary saw.  When RM turned his head and looked at Hamilton, the safety had turned his shoulders.  And by the time he cocked his arm the safety planted his foot and turned....and I was like "nooo".  And when he let it go, I was like "nooo".  Shoot man, that ball covered about 40 yards in one second....no exaggeration.

Years ago I sat in that same end zone and watched Billy Joe Tolliver make some unbelievable throws, and until that day he probably had the best arm I'd ever seen in person.  LSU had a QB (Russell?) that could sling it, and Aikman had a killer whip.  But none were nearly as impressive as RM's shot to Hamilton.

Physically the most impressive pass I've ever seen in person.  Was sitting high in the northwest endzone looking right down the line.  Like watching Andy Roddick serve.

If Mallett ever has an o-line that can protect him, he will be very dangerous.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 15, 2014, 07:30:58 am

That was an amazing throw for sure.  He had a LOT of similar type throws, which I think is what is puzzling to a lot of Hog fans with regard to why he hasn't seen the field in the NFL much.  I realize he took some gambles because of his big arm, and he made some bad decisions at times, but that's what college QB's do. 

I'm sick of hearing about the new prototypical NFL QB, when the reality is...Manning and Brady are very bit as effective at their position as Kaepernick and Wilson.  You can stand and distribute the ball and be wildly successful in the NFL, and I would venture to say that he has superior arm strength to either of those.  I have a friend from the Boston area and he says Mallett throws BB's in practice, and his arm makes Brady's look weak.  I really hope the kid gets a fair shot...

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 15, 2014, 08:11:38 am
Physically the most impressive pass I've ever seen in person.  Was sitting high in the northwest endzone looking right down the line.  Like watching Andy Roddick serve.

If Mallett ever has an o-line that can protect him, he will be very dangerous.

Over the years there have been a lot of "ahh hahh" moments when you see UA athletes stand out.  One of the biggest ones for me was being there to watch Mallett throw the first few passes against Missouri State.  I remember thinking..."Ahhhh yeah...we're onto something here."  It just came out like a rocket compared to what we'd been watching with Casey Dick for three years.  It just sparked that feeling that something good was on the way. 

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 15, 2014, 08:20:06 am
Over the years there have been a lot of "ahh hahh" moments when you see UA athletes stand out.  One of the biggest ones for me was being there to watch Mallett throw the first few passes against Missouri State.  I remember thinking..."Ahhhh yeah...we're onto something here."  It just came out like a rocket compared to what we'd been watching with Casey Dick for three years.  It just sparked that feeling that something good was on the way. 

The first pass I saw him throw that really got my attention was, of all things, an incompletion.  He was backpedaling and slung one side-armed to his right towards a receiver on the sideline.  He flicked his wrist and the ball went 30 yards and over the head of the WR.  I remember saying "*&^%, did you see that?".

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 15, 2014, 08:25:36 am
The first pass I saw him throw that really got my attention was, of all things, an incompletion.  He was backpedaling and slung one side-armed to his right towards a receiver on the sideline.  He flicked his wrist and the ball went 30 yards and over the head of the WR.  I remember saying "*&^%, did you see that?".

Exactly.  It didn't matter if it was complete.  It was how it came out of his hands like a missile with seemingly no effort. 

DeltaBoy

Duwop gives us a Trick play abilities like a throw back play , Plus he is dangerous in space and could be the second coming of Joe Adams.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.