Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derby officially moves to TE

Started by Fayettechill14, April 10, 2014, 08:22:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: goodguytex on April 14, 2014, 02:50:14 pm
I wouldn't mind him being Qin coach, if he's healthy.

I believe Joe is healthy and redshirted, so he should have one more year of eligibility.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

secneahog

Bielema has had success moving guys from other positions to te. I don't see why derby can't be good at te. It's all going to depend on if derby embraces the position, and it looks like he has.

One thing for sure he has the size, and knows what the Tes are supposed to do in the plays.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: secneahog on April 14, 2014, 02:54:57 pm
Bielema has had success moving guys from other positions to te. I don't see why derby can't be good at te. It's all going to depend on if derby embraces the position, and it looks like he has.

One thing for sure he has the size, and knows what the Tes are supposed to do in the plays.

After last year being the year of drops - he seems to have good hands as well.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

secneahog

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 02:57:26 pm

True. Being able to get almost everyone back is going to be outstanding for the offense.
Derby being a senior he should make the move very smoothly.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

trashcan maN

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 02:57:26 pm
The blocking piece might be the tricky part. It sounds like he runs and catches well.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: kj0N on April 14, 2014, 03:04:13 pm
The blocking piece might be the tricky part. It sounds like he runs and catches well.

I don't think I have heard the coaches mention the blocking part. I wonder how he did?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 03:06:12 pm
I don't think I have heard the coaches mention the blocking part. I wonder how he did?

I thought that either one of the coaches or someone who had watched practice, said that he was very physical in his blocking technique? Can't remember who it was, but I could have sworn that I read that or heard it in a presser.
Go Hogs Go!

secneahog

He for sure has the size. Did he plat te in high school?  I know he was projected to be a good te in college.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2014, 03:08:23 pm
I thought that either one of the coaches or someone who had watched practice, said that he was very physical in his blocking technique? Can't remember who it was, but I could have sworn that I read that or heard it in a presser.

That is good to hear. If he was recruited as a potential TE out of high school he must have played it some where.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: kj0N on April 14, 2014, 03:04:13 pm
Bielema said that Derby blocked surprisingly well. However those that saw the scrimmage can tell you route running was his best quality. He managed to get completely wide open a couple of times.

OldCoot

Quote from: redeye on April 11, 2014, 02:21:37 am
This is great to hear.  Thank FC!

Not sure if you know this, but Derby was a 4-star athlete out of high school.  He had offers from Alabama, Florida and just about everyone else, but supposedly chose Iowa because they said he could play QB.  Unfortunately for AJ, he's an awful QB and most everyone was recruiting him as a TE or LB.

Is he still a walk-on?  What year is he in?

OldCoot

Quote from: kj0N on April 14, 2014, 02:07:01 pm
I'm sure you've heard the presser after you created this thread, but BB let Duwop choose between trying out S or WR for a couple of weeks. BB thought Duwop would be a better safety but that WR would be an easier transition.

He made it pretty clear Duwop wouldn't play QB here and that he really hoped he would come around and agree to try another position permanently. He said that if it didn't work out, he would do his best to find a better situation for him somewhere else.

Didn't he just sign?????

oxbaker

If true, Bielema must feel good about his QB situation.  I thought the Derby kid looked like a pretty good QB last year just needed more snaps.  May end up being a bad move by BB in the long run.

BorderPatrol

thebignasty

Quote from: oxbaker on April 16, 2014, 03:47:28 pm
If true, Bielema must feel good about his QB situation.  I thought the Derby kid looked like a pretty good QB last year just needed more snaps.  May end up being a bad move by BB in the long run.

+10000000 AJ was the answer at qb. Can't believe CBB and Chaney don't see it. We need to fire Chaney and hire a guy with real qb coaching experience like David Lee.

tophawg19

looks like he is doing well at TE and we had a need there . He has great hands and good speed . could be  An ALL -AMERICAN  candidate by the end of the year. As a TE he has a chance for the NFL , as a qb , no way
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Wildhog

All American AJ Derby coached by All-World recruiter Barry Lunney.

Solid.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

oxbaker

Quote from: thebignasty on April 16, 2014, 03:50:21 pm
+10000000 AJ was the answer at qb. Can't believe CBB and Chaney don't see it. We need to fire Chaney and hire a guy with real qb coaching experience like David Lee.
Exactly.  Pretty sure this guy is not the answer for arkansas.  Absolutely no calf development on this kid.

Hogvillage Idiot

Quote from: oxbaker on April 16, 2014, 03:47:28 pm
I'm sure Bielema does feel good about QB situation and probably not as good on the TE position.  Therefore, the move makes total sense.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp

thebignasty

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 16, 2014, 03:53:45 pm
looks like he is doing well at TE and we had a need there . He has great hands and good speed . could be  An ALL -AMERICAN  candidate by the end of the year. As a TE he has a chance for the NFL , as a qb , no way

We're going to have like 4 AA tight ends.

thebignasty

thebignasty

Quote from: oxbaker on April 16, 2014, 03:56:59 pm
Exactly.  Pretty sure this guy is not the answer for arkansas.  Absolutely no calf development on this kid.

AJ Derby is the quarterback most suited to get us into 4 down situations where Bert ' s uncommon approach really sets us apart.

tophawg19

Quote from: thebignasty on April 16, 2014, 04:12:18 pm
We're going to have like 4 AA tight ends.
Yep I expect AJ  to break all of Keith Jackson SR.'s TE records at Arkansas
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

870hogfan

Quote from: thebignasty on April 16, 2014, 04:16:55 pm
AJ Derby is the quarterback most suited to get us into 4 down situations where Bert ' s uncommon approach really sets us apart.

Who is Bert?

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

swinesation

Is it true that Alex Collins came in overweight!

hogfan14

Surely this cant be serious...Derby had 2 turnovers in less than a quarter against Auburn last year.

Piggfoot

Oh well I'll stir the pot. I was told this weekend that in the opinion of an Arkansas coach that Derby would be one of our top two tight ends this year. It didn't come from Bielema.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ricepig

Quote from: qdoc on April 16, 2014, 09:01:03 pm
Oh well I'll stir the pot. I was told this weekend that in the opinion of an Arkansas coach that Derby would be one of our top two tight ends this year. It didn't come from Bielema.

Soccer coach??

Piggfoot

Quote from: ricepig on April 16, 2014, 09:03:30 pm
Soccer coach??
That's not even Lunny!!! Excuse me I meant Funny!!!!
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2014, 01:06:49 pm
Oddly enough, this sounds like exactly what so many on this board have been calling for and predicting...from Austin Allen being the backup right down the line to Mitchell being moved to another position.

So simple a caveman could do (predict) it...

I doubt anyone actually thought that Derby was a long-term solution over AA. In hindsight (since we went 3-9), it was probably smart to redshirt AA last year, as it appears unlikely he would have been good enough to win 3 more games for us. Now he's got 4 years of eligibility.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: qdoc on April 16, 2014, 09:01:03 pm

Good for him! I hope he is.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 17, 2014, 02:56:18 am
I doubt anyone actually thought that Derby was a long-term solution over AA. In hindsight (since we went 3-9), it was probably smart to redshirt AA last year, as it appears unlikely he would have been good enough to win 3 more games for us. Now he's got 4 years of eligibility.

We have no idea what would have happened last year if we win the Rutgers game. I don't like throw away seasons- last year could have been better, much better.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on April 17, 2014, 05:34:22 am
We have no idea what would have happened last year if we win the Rutgers game. I don't like throw away seasons- last year could have been better, much better.

Just keep in mind that redshirting a kid isn't neccessarily throwing away a season, it can and has often times turned out to be an investment in the future.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 17, 2014, 05:59:05 am
Just keep in mind that redshirting a kid isn't neccessarily throwing away a season, it can and has often times turned out to be an investment in the future.

When has a 3 win season become a good future investment? If recruits are the currency, we lost our arse last year.

Redshirts are impressive on paper, but the actual game is played on grass...what gives?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: twistitup on April 17, 2014, 06:34:05 am
When has a 3 win season become a good future investment? If recruits are the currency, we lost our arse last year.

Redshirts are impressive on paper, but the actual game is played on grass...what gives?
It didn't really seem to hurt our recruiting, considering we were right about where we usually are, historically.

And of course, d/t the quality of Linemen, I think it was better than usual.
All Gas, No Brakes!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on April 17, 2014, 06:34:05 am

Since when is there a guarantee that it would have turned out otherwise had AA not been R/S? I would imagine that was considered when the decision was made to keep him on sideline.
Go Hogs Go!

gmarv

.i say if the coaches can,t see that derby should start over hh
they must be crazy he has had 3 practices there right.
why its kind of like not starting our freshmen  qbs  over ba.

acey33

I think it's a good move with Derby moving to TE that way BA and other qb's are getting more reps in practice and I hope Mitchell hangs in there and plays wr if needed or goes to the defense and play safety or corner...well maybe next year if he stays

Hawgzinbowlz

During the scrimmage I specifically watched AJ on several plays, for both blocking and route running. The plays that I watched were mostly blocking assignments for AJ and he kept his feet moving, kept his hands engaged and his defensive opponent did not penetrate for pressure on the QB or RB. Several nice catch's and one high profile miss (wide open, by 8-10 yds., for a TD, and the ball was laid right on his hands) gotta have a short memory on that one.
By Auburn I expect him to consistently be in the TE rotation. A quality addition to the position.

" GO HOGS "

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: twistitup on April 14, 2014, 12:52:22 pm
I think he ran anchor leg in the 4x400 his senior year

Does that matter though if they came in dead last?   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ricepig

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on April 17, 2014, 12:53:09 pm
Surprised this isn't getting more traction.  This isn't a good sign for a position that's already talent-thin.  I thought Derby would almost certainly be in the QB mix in the fall.  Guess that could still be the case, but the move doesn't suggest that.

TE isn't talent thin, just numbers wise. As far as QB, this just lets the better talent get more reps, but you knew that anyway.