Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derby officially moves to TE

Started by Fayettechill14, April 10, 2014, 08:22:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

Didn't see this on the other Derby thread, but Derby spent all practice with the TEs today as well, and apparently looked pretty good. May be a decent backup to Henry until Loewen gets back to 100%. Looks like the move is official.

Austin Allen is now the backup. Peavey and Mitchell are battling for third string but Mitchell apparently worked at WR a little bit. I don't like that, because that may indicate that the coaches feel like there is some kind of deficiency at WR, since safety is more logical and a position of need. Oh well.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 10, 2014, 08:22:31 pm
Didn't see this on the other Derby thread, but Derby spent all practice with the TEs today as well, and apparently looked pretty good. May be a decent backup to Henry until Loewen gets back to 100%. Looks like the move is official.

Austin Allen is now the backup. Peavey and Mitchell are battling for third string but Mitchell apparently worked at WR a little bit. I don't like that, because that may indicate that the coaches feel like there is some kind of deficiency at WR, since safety is more logical and a position of need. Oh well.

Maybe they feel the transition to wr would be easier for duwop since he already knows the offensive playbook.

Hawgzinbowlz

With the proliferation of injuries this will give us quality TE depth, even after Loewen returns.

I would have preferred he be given a look at LB. Our depth at LB is a question mark.

" GO HOGS "

ChitownHawg

I think I have heard CBB state some of his best plays at Wisconsin were from a two TE set. Which one are you gonna cover?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HOGINTENNESSEE

Or maybe they hope the move to WR will help in recruiting his brother?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/03/njcom_top_50_football_recruit_profiles_no_31_ahmir_mitchell.html

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: MorrellHog on April 10, 2014, 08:37:16 pm
With the proliferation of injuries this will give us quality TE depth, even after Loewen returns.

I would have preferred he be given a look at LB. Our depth at LB is a question mark.

" GO HOGS "
I don't even think we should call it the linebacker position at Arkansas anymore. It should just be called the Question Mark because that's what it is year after year after year.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on April 10, 2014, 09:15:34 pm
I don't even think we should call it the linebacker position at Arkansas anymore. It should just be called the Question Mark because that's what it is year after year after year.

Needed a good laugh.  +1
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on April 10, 2014, 09:15:34 pm

Unfortunately, I can't disagree. Just hoping the back 7 develop as we move forward.

" GO HOGS "

twistitup

Do I smell the invention of a trick TE screen / double pass in our future?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

onebadrubi

Quote from: twistitup on April 10, 2014, 09:39:35 pm

So you bash the kid at QB and the decision making last year, but now want to involve him in trick passing plays? 

Fayettechill14

Quote from: onebadrubi on April 10, 2014, 10:46:56 pm
So you bash the kid at QB and the decision making last year, but now want to involve him in trick passing plays?

He meant with Hunter Henry throwing the pass...    ;)

PORKULATOR

Wow... just two days ago, me, a friend and my dad were having a drink and talking about Razorback football. I mentioned AJ and my old man said, "if he's as good an athlete as they say he is, I wanna see him at TE or LB."
Good call pop.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

redeye

This is great to hear.  Thank FC!

Quote from: PORKULATOR on April 11, 2014, 12:08:00 am
Wow... just two days ago, me, a friend and my dad were having a drink and talking about Razorback football. I mentioned AJ and my old man said, "if he's as good an athlete as they say he is, I wanna see him at TE or LB."
Good call pop.

Not sure if you know this, but Derby was a 4-star athlete out of high school.  He had offers from Alabama, Florida and just about everyone else, but supposedly chose Iowa because they said he could play QB.  Unfortunately for AJ, he's an awful QB and most everyone was recruiting him as a TE or LB.

twistitup

April 11, 2014, 04:26:48 am #13 Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 12:54:00 pm by twistitup
Quote from: onebadrubi on April 10, 2014, 10:46:56 pm

It's called sarcasm -he never should have been qb

I bet Chill is really upset w this decision - he was a huge Derby supporter last year. Compiling stats and the whole deal.

havok

......... but Mitchell apparently worked at WR a little bit. I don't like that, because that may indicate that the coaches feel like there is some kind of deficiency at WR, since safety is more logical and a position of need. Oh well.

Just might be a coach wanting to experiment and/or looking out for his future..  If he hasn't broken the 3 deep in a decisive manner.. one wouldn't want him to waste away on the sidelines for 3 to 4 more years..when he can transition his skills to a Marketable product if he wants to play pro ball.  QB just may not be his Position at the college level.  (Derby is realizing that now).

k.c.hawg

Moving a QB to WR keeps the player in all the offensive meetings and makes it much easier to move back to QB if injuries mount. Makes it much easier to have the player in a dual role if you plan on eventually putting in a running package or goal line package utilizing the player.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

bphi11ips

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 11, 2014, 10:23:14 am
Moving a QB to WR keeps the player in all the offensive meetings and makes it much easier to move back to QB if injuries mount. Makes it much easier to have the player in a dual role if you plan on eventually putting in a running package or goal line package utilizing the player.

This is a good point.  Also, at 6-5, 246, Derby is built more like an NFL TE than he is an NFL linebacker.  Since he only has one year left, TE gives him greater opportunity to show that he can impact a game with his athletic ability.  He could make an NFL roster for special teams alone.     
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Pigsknuckles

April 11, 2014, 11:13:25 am #18 Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:23:31 am by Pigsknuckles
This links to an article which offers the highest bidder a chance to coach in the Arkansas State Spring Game. Right under it is a good article about Derby's move to TE. Follow links to some other Razorback Spring, and past notes.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/10/ark-st-auctioning-off-chance-to-be-spring-game-head-coach/related/
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ckhawgu

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 10, 2014, 11:46:51 pm
He meant with Hunter Henry throwing the pass...    ;)

+1 for the chuckle!

Fayettechill14

Quote from: twistitup on April 11, 2014, 04:26:48 am
It's called sarcasm -he never should have been qb

I bet Chill is really upset w this decision - he was a huge Derby supporter last year. Compiling stats and the whole deal.

But of course.  ::)

boaron

Quote from: MorrellHog on April 10, 2014, 08:37:16 pm

<B>I would have preferred he be given a look at LB. Our depth at LB is a question mark.</B>

" GO HOGS "

Iowa tried to make him an LB and he first agreed but then left the program.  I'm guessing that wasn't an option.

I would think 245 and able to run says LB but I guess not in this case.

HognotinMemphis

Why this guy did not go to KY, I'll never know.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

I BLEED RBack RED

Lol, Derby is never gonna play in the NFL. Hell, dj williams won the mackey award and only has 70 career recieving yds and no tds in the big leagues...sorry, not gonna happen
The 3 things I can't live without are family, my razorbacks, and beer (not in any particular order).

PorkRinds

Quote from: I BLEED RBack RED on April 14, 2014, 11:15:33 am
Lol, Derby is never gonna play in the NFL. Hell, dj williams won the mackey award and only has 70 career recieving yds and no tds in the big leagues...sorry, not gonna happen

Did I miss someone saying Derby was an NFL tight end?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 14, 2014, 11:17:13 am
Did I miss someone saying Derby was an NFL tight end?

Above someone said he was closer to size of a TE than a LB. Said he could see him making a special teams roster.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Prestworthy

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 14, 2014, 11:35:52 am
Is Derby any faster than HH?

Probably not by much if any. HH was a 4.8 coming out of high school. Derby was a 4.7.  So those are pretty close really.  Neither are slow, but neither are speed demons either.   

Cresthog

Quote from: twistitup on April 10, 2014, 09:39:35 pm

Yes hopefully on fourth down, pinned back on our own territory with the game on the line.

BB has never seen a trick play he couldn't use to kill the game.

twistitup

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 14, 2014, 11:35:52 am
Is Derby any faster than HH?

I think he ran anchor leg in the 4x400 his senior year

rzrbk4life

I think it's a good move. Hopefully Derby can make an impact there
Let's call those hogs!!!!

EastexHawg

Oddly enough, this sounds like exactly what so many on this board have been calling for and predicting...from Austin Allen being the backup right down the line to Mitchell being moved to another position.

So simple a caveman could do (predict) it...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 10, 2014, 08:54:55 pm
Or maybe they hope the move to WR will help in recruiting his brother?

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2014/03/njcom_top_50_football_recruit_profiles_no_31_ahmir_mitchell.html

Unfortunately we'll probably lose Mitchell to a transfer over the move. Hope not but I just have the feeling he is not going to give up the desire to be a play caller so easily.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

trashcan maN

I don't like that, because that may indicate that the coaches feel like there is some kind of deficiency at WR, since safety is more logical and a position of need. Oh well.
I'm sure you've heard the presser after you created this thread, but BB let Duwop choose between trying out S or WR for a couple of weeks. BB thought Duwop would be a better safety but that WR would be an easier transition.

He made it pretty clear Duwop wouldn't play QB here and that he really hoped he would come around and agree to try another position permanently. He said that if it didn't work out, he would do his best to find a better situation for him somewhere else.

secneahog

Quote from: kj0N on April 14, 2014, 02:07:01 pm
I'm sure you've heard the presser after you created this thread, but BB let Duwop choose between trying out S or WR for a couple of weeks. BB thought Duwop would be a better safety but that WR would be an easier transition.

He made it pretty clear Duwop wouldn't play QB here and that he really hoped he would come around and agree to try another position permanently. He said that if it didn't work out, he would do his best to find a better situation for him somewhere else.

This.  Seemed pretty clear when I heard it first also.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2014, 01:06:49 pm
Oddly enough, this sounds like exactly what so many on this board have been calling for and predicting...from Austin Allen being the backup right down the line to Mitchell being moved to another position.

So simple a caveman could do (predict) it...

Split a hair with you on the calling for. The difference to me is the kids began to earn it. The calling part was being stated before they earned it. Big difference when team chemistry is involved.

Predicting... that was easy to predict two 4 star QBs would move ahead... some there in time. It was going to happen.

DeltaBoy

With Derby and Hunter on the field it will be tough to double team both of them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 14, 2014, 02:30:15 pm
With Derby and Hunter on the field it will be tough to double team both of them.

So, you've got Derby starting at TE after 3 practices?

trashcan maN

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 02:31:45 pm
We're banged up at TE right now. Derby has a great chance to  get quality PT, at least until Loewen heals up.

goodguytex

Austin Tate might have a problem with that.

ChitownHawg

True and CBB said one of his favorite formations was a double TE. Now we need the OL to gel and the WRs to keep improving. Has the makings of a fun and effective offense.

Deep Shoat

As it turns out, you don't have to "start" to be on the field at the same time.
All Gas, No Brakes!

MuskogeeHogFan

I would love to see Derby have tremendous success at TE and end his career on a high note.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

Quote from: goodguytex on April 14, 2014, 02:36:09 pm

Tate and the rest got to stay healthy.

ricepig

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 14, 2014, 02:37:45 pm
As it turns out, you don't have to "start" to be on the field at the same time.

Nope, it doesn't, but you normally don't double cover both TE's either.

trashcan maN

Quote from: goodguytex on April 14, 2014, 02:36:09 pm
Tate graduated. Henry, Sprinkle, Loewen, Voelzke and Derby are our TEs, and Loewen is hurt.

IMO Derby has plenty of time to show he's the guy for #2 TE.

trashcan maN

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 14, 2014, 02:42:39 pm
Tate and the rest got to stay healthy.
Sorry to break it to you guys, but Austin Tate is gone - never to return.

goodguytex

Quote from: kj0N on April 14, 2014, 02:44:52 pm
Rats! I wish he coulda had another year to play.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: kj0N on April 14, 2014, 02:44:52 pm

Dude, don't disrupt our conversation with these trivial facts. I was about write that Joe Ferguson will love throwing to these guys. He is still on the team - right?  ???

goodguytex

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 02:48:35 pm
Dude, don't disrupt our conversation with these trivial facts. I was about write that Joe Ferguson will love throwing to these guys. He is still on the team - right?  ???
I wouldn't mind him being Qb coach, if he's healthy.