Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

04/10 Practice Notes

Started by Uncommon, April 10, 2014, 06:47:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

Quote from: secneahog on April 11, 2014, 10:56:46 am

The guy always has a negative comment. Just remember his name because he's not worth arguing with.
You must not read much of what I post.  The only replies I get, or most on this board get, are the posts that critique an element of the team.  When I post something I like or am excited about, it gets buried under other arguments....just like other positive posts.  People want to argue on here.  I think it gives them an avenue to get frustrations out without any personal contact.  You can disagree with what I post, but rebuttals can be done in a way that are not demeaning to the poster.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 11:25:07 am
I don't think AC's weight has anything to do with Marshall.

Not what I heard.  My sources tell me Marshall's been sending pizza to AC's house every day trying to help his position on the roster.   :P 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 11:29:26 am
You must not read much of what I post.  The only replies I get, or most on this board get, are the posts that critique an element of the team.  When I post something I like or am excited about, it gets buried under other arguments....just like other positive posts.  People want to argue on here.  I think it gives them an avenue to get frustrations out without any personal contact.  You can disagree with what I post, but rebuttals can be done in a way that are not demeaning to the poster.

An "argument" involves more than a one line statement.  Those are nothing more than little sniper shots that you fire off to get attention, and they're usually something really solid and thought provoking like "Derby is terrible" or something similar. 

If you're gonna dish it...you better be ready to take it coming back.   ;)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 11:25:07 am
I don't think AC's weight has anything to do with Marshall.

It doesn't.  But your attempts to disparage Collins to try and show that you're right about Marshall being the better back are...obvious.

Prestworthy

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 11, 2014, 11:33:36 am
An "argument" involves more than a one line statement.  Those are nothing more than little sniper shots that you fire off to get attention, and they're usually something really solid and thought provoking like "Derby is terrible" or something similar. 

If you're gonna dish it...you better be ready to take it coming back.   ;)
I've never said Derby is terrible.  Just said Rafe, in my opinion, is already better than the senior back up QB.

Prestworthy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2014, 11:34:13 am
It doesn't.  But your attempts to disparage Collins to try and show that you're right about Marshall being the better back are...obvious.
You can draw any conclusions you like. I can't control what you post.  I never saw anything posted about AC's weight, but after I talked to him Saturday, it stood out. Weight like that can affect a rb's production, which is why I posted about it.  I WANT COLLINS TO BE SUCCESSFUL. I WANT HIM TO BE ALL-SEC. HE'S A GREAT KID. Is that what you want to hear? I've always believed that.  But I also believe Marshall is special and deserves to be talked about.

secneahog

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 11:42:01 am
You can draw any conclusions you like. I can't control what you post.  I never saw anything posted about AC's weight, but after I talked to him Saturday, it stood out. Weight like that can affect a rb's production, which is why I posted about it.  I WANT COLLINS TO BE SUCCESSFUL. I WANT HIM TO BE ALL-SEC. HE'S A GREAT KID. Is that what you want to hear? I've always believed that.  But I also believe Marshall is special and deserves to be talked about.

Have you ever thought the extra weight will work positively for him? 

Here is what is exciting to me....the word from people that are watching practices say he has a Burst and speed he didn't have last year.
With the extra weight and still hav that extra gear is great. Means he will be able to be durable.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Prestworthy

Quote from: secneahog on April 11, 2014, 12:42:38 pm
Have you ever thought the extra weight will work positively for him? 

Here is what is exciting to me....the word from people that are watching practices say he has a Burst and speed he didn't have last year.
With the extra weight and still hav that extra gear is great. Means he will be able to be durable.
hey if bad weight makes him more productive, then it will be a first for me!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 01:48:56 pm

So you know for a fact it's bad weight?  You lifted up his shirt and checked to make sure it was belly fat? He let you?  You're qualified to decide what's good weight and bad weight in college football players?

Prestworthy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2014, 01:52:41 pm
So you know for a fact it's bad weight?  You lifted up his shirt and checked to make sure it was belly fat? He let you?  You're qualified to decide what's good weight and bad weight in college football players?
take it easy! Sounds like you are wanting an argument!

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 02:01:00 pm
take it easy! Sounds like you are wanting an argument!

Nah, just wanting to clear things up a bit.  Just wondering what makes you so sure it's bad weight. Obviously it's no secret he didn't light the world on fire over the offseason, but you're the only person I've seen say he's slower because he gained bad weight.  Just wondering how you know for sure, and how qualified you are to make such judgments.

Prestworthy

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 11, 2014, 02:03:26 pm

Nah, just wanting to clear things up a bit.  Just wondering what makes you so sure it's bad weight. Obviously it's no secret he didn't light the world on fire over the offseason, but you're the only person I've seen say he's slower because he gained bad weight.  Just wondering how you know for sure, and how qualified you are to make such judgments.
I'm not wasting any more time with this discussion.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 02:11:18 pm

Probably a good idea, Reverend. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 11, 2014, 01:48:56 pm

Actually during the other discussion of his weight someone reported that Michael Smith said adding weight to get through the summer heat was not uncommon.

I would think a former Hog RB would know something about the subject.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Nipsey Mussle

Translation- "I got owned."

farmhawg

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 11, 2014, 12:53:02 am
I have been surprised at how quick he still is at that weight.  Amazing he still has those moves and speed.  The problem is that he is running against OUR defense...so...they have a way of making everyone looking fast and it seems he can only run a couple of plays before he needs oxygen.
not good.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Oklahawg

About 800 posts too late?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Regarding added weight...has anyone every noticed the gut most OL have on most D1 teams? They are consuming a bazillion calories to support their weight training and conditioning work. Not all of it gets used up by pure muscle.

Conditioning problems related to heat and dehydration hit players with lower body fat ratios. The fat (I guess) somehow metabolizes as fluid easier than muscle (which makes at least a tiny bit of sense).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 11, 2014, 08:47:31 pm
Regarding added weight...has anyone every noticed the gut most OL have on most D1 teams? They are consuming a bazillion calories to support their weight training and conditioning work. Not all of it gets used up by pure muscle.

Conditioning problems related to heat and dehydration hit players with lower body fat ratios. The fat (I guess) somehow metabolizes as fluid easier than muscle (which makes at least a tiny bit of sense).
It is true that fat breakdown results in more fluid production than carbohydrate breakdown however, heat illness will typically affect players with a higher bodyfat % worse.  This is because heat storage per unit of body surface area will be significantly higher and bodyfat serves to insulate body heat.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 11, 2014, 09:11:53 pm
It is true that fat breakdown results in more fluid production than carbohydrate breakdown however, heat illness will typically affect players with a higher bodyfat % worse.  This is because heat storage per unit of body surface area will be significantly higher and bodyfat serves to insulate body heat.

Crap! You just ruined Oklahawg's perfectly logical reason for me to keep my gut. Thanks a bunch buddy!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: locusbug on April 11, 2014, 09:15:02 pm
Crap! You just ruined Oklahawg's perfectly logical reason for me to keep my gut. Thanks a bunch buddy!  ;D
Just hit the back button and delete your history and it'll be like you never saw my post.  :D
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Prestworthy

The NewEra

This thread sure went to hell since my post in it on page one.

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 11, 2014, 08:47:31 pm

Which is all well and good.  The problem is that AC has been in the dog house with BB because he hasn't been giving the effort in off the field training.  So, we can talk about Michael Smith saying adding weight during summer is common, and he is adding weight to be more durable, but the truth of the matter is he has been in trouble for it. 

So, lets put this all by in context.  He was late for some work outs and wasn't doing his individual conditioning, so Bielema suspends him from football activity for a week where he just works on school, playbook, and has to meet with Herbert one on one so he will get back in shape.  People forget that Jonathon Williams is all the coaches are talking about and have often refused to answer questions about AC because he hasn't put in the work.  That isn't me saying that, or random fans saying that, it is the coaching staff that has said it.  So defending the added weight and him being out of shape is a nice gesture but it isn't reality.  Kid better kick himself in to gear or he will drop to 3rd string in a hurry.  Not because he isn't the most talented but because he won't be able to stay on the field for more than a couple of plays.  Again, that is coming from coaches.  So, it doesn't seem that a single coach has said anything about the added weight and the lack of conditioning as being a good thing.

They have come right out and said.  They suspended him.  They put Korliss Marshall permanently on offense at running back.   They only talk about KM and JW and how great they are doing.  AC has rarely been made available to the media...you know...because he is in trouble.

NO!  IT isn't good weight.  It isn't a good thing.  If it was the coaches would be pleased as punch.  Instead they are pissed.  We need to stop with the excuses.
Retired Radio Host

ChitownHawg

Quote from: The NewEra on April 11, 2014, 11:55:13 pm
This thread sure went to hell since my post in it on page one.

Hey, you have to pay closer attention. Hogville is like a hockey game, or country n western bar, you never know when a fight will breakout.  ;D

Theolesnort

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 12, 2014, 03:06:22 am
Which is all well and good.  The problem is that AC has been in the dog house with BB because he hasn't been giving the effort in off the field training.  So, we can talk about Michael Smith saying adding weight during summer is common, and he is adding weight to be more durable, but the truth of the matter is he has been in trouble for it. 

So, lets put this all by in context.  He was late for some work outs and wasn't doing his individual conditioning, so Bielema suspends him from football activity for a week where he just works on school, playbook, and has to meet with Herbert one on one so he will get back in shape.  People forget that Jonathon Williams is all the coaches are talking about and have often refused to answer questions about AC because he hasn't put in the work.  That isn't me saying that, or random fans saying that, it is the coaching staff that has said it.  So defending the added weight and him being out of shape is a nice gesture but it isn't reality.  Kid better kick himself in to gear or he will drop to 3rd string in a hurry.  Not because he isn't the most talented but because he won't be able to stay on the field for more than a couple of plays.  Again, that is coming from coaches.  So, it doesn't seem that a single coach has said anything about the added weight and the lack of conditioning as being a good thing.

They have come right out and said.  They suspended him.  They put Korliss Marshall permanently on offense at running back.   They only talk about KM and JW and how great they are doing.  AC has rarely been made available to the media...you know...because he is in trouble.

NO!  IT isn't good weight.  It isn't a good thing.  If it was the coaches would be pleased as punch.  Instead they are pissed.  We need to stop with the excuses.
You came right out and said it but.................There will be people on here that will argue with you because they don't want to believe the truth, they want to believe what they want to. Just human nature.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

urkillnmesmalls

I liked the picture someone posted of him on the cliffside with his arms over his head.  Every man over 40 knows that's the best post for trying to look as thin as possible!   ;D 

What doesn't add up is...how could he be perceived as "faster or quicker?" if he's not putting in the proper training, or eating the proper things?  You're the second person to say that he looks every bit as quick, and maybe a step quicker.  BB alluded to this LAST season subtly, so I'm not sure why people are shocked.  People can't keep him from eating the wrong things when no one is looking...that's ON HIM, so blaming Herbert or BB isn't fair.     

What stinks is that him looking quicker despite being out of shape makes me leery about the defense, as you posted above.   :(     

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 12, 2014, 08:07:59 am
I liked the picture someone posted of him on the cliffside with his arms over his head.  Every man over 40 knows that's the best post for trying to look as thin as possible!   ;D 

What doesn't add up is...how could he be perceived as "faster or quicker?" if he's not putting in the proper training, or eating the proper things?  You're the second person to say that he looks every bit as quick, and maybe a step quicker.  BB alluded to this LAST season subtly, so I'm not sure why people are shocked.  People can't keep him from eating the wrong things when no one is looking...that's ON HIM, so blaming Herbert or BB isn't fair.     

What stinks is that him looking quicker despite being out of shape makes me leery about the defense, as you posted above.   :(   

I look at it this way - his suspension was a couple of months ago and CBB has gone on record as saying Collins is doing it the right way now. There is a big difference from being BMOC at high school versus a university. He lost his way for a bit. I shudder thinking of some of my freshman antics.

What we are seeing today is someone who has had several months of working himself out of the dog house. If Coach Herb thought he was slacking I am sure he would tell CBB time to punish again. Therefore you are seeing the speed / quickness from the benefits of doing it the right way.

And anyone who has tried to lose weight knows the stomach is the last to go.

PorkRinds

This is the most likely scenario.

snoblind

Quote from: The NewEra on April 11, 2014, 07:23:51 am

It wouldn't surprise me to see him end up being the most talented tight end to ever play at Arkansas.

I don't disagree and that is saying something given those that have played the position here.

FreshHog

Wasnt there, but found a good write up of opinions from danny west:

QuoteQB: Brandon Allen wasn't as crisp today, in my opinion. He did a lot of good things and he had to deal with a couple of drops, but I thought he had a couple that just got away from him and had a couple of would-be sacks. Wasn't bad, but wasn't spectacular. Austin Allen threw the interception to Dre Coley but I thought he threw a few really nice balls, too. Rafe Peavey had the day's best two throws, including one that I couldn't shut up to Trey about. It was a pro throw. Just barely made it over a leaping Sleepy McKinney and hit Eric Hawkins in stride for a 72-yard TD. Looked like the type of throw Mallett used to make routinely.

- Duwop Mitchell sat and watched those three just about all day before finally running a few reps at wideout.

RB: Won't spend much time talking about the tailbacks because there wasn't any live stuff going on, but I did think J-Will looked really good today outside of having one drop out of the backfield. Chris Jones continues to impress me at fullback. Again, if the season started today I'd go with him as my starter. When he hits people they go the other direction. Had a couple nasty collisions today.

WR: It's gonna be hard to keep Cody Hollister from getting a lot of playing time this fall. He just catches anything they throw near him. I've been very impressed with him. Not sure what got into Jared Cornelius today but he had a couple of drops, including one that he let Coley just take away from him for an INT. Keon Hatcher showed that he's still the go-to guy there today, in my opinion. He's just steady. Tevin Mitchel got the best of him at the LOS one time and his fellow receivers started yelling at him to get him back, and sure enough he beat Tevin for a nice gain on the very next play. Drew Morgan probably had the best catch of the day.

TE: Hunter Henry and Jeremy Sprinkle were active again today, catching a lot of passes. Henry had one of the best catches of the day across the middle. I thought A.J. Derby looked good catching the ball and more importantly it looked like he was enjoying it.

OL: I'm partial to Cordale Boyd starting at LG. I think Sebastian Tretola will have a lot to play about that position, but I really like what Boyd brings to that spot. That's just me. He's nowhere near as big as the other guys, but he's smart and quick. I like Boyd. I just don't think Mitch Smothers is going to be their answer at LG or C. He put at least one ball on the ground today as a center, and I don't know who was to blame on the other one I saw hit the ground (not even sure it wasn't Charpentier who snapped it, honestly). I will say, it looked to me like the No. 2 OL had its way with the No. 2 interior DL. Pushed them around early on. The No. 2 DTs were Ke'Tyrus Marks and Taiwan Johnson.

DL: Trey Flowers is rough on Brey Cook sometimes. That's not a shot at Brey, because I think he's pretty good himself. More of a credit to Flowers. He's just hard to beat with those long arms and that strength and quickness. JaMichael Winston getting first-team reps is a good thing for their depth at DE, IMO.

LB: Randy Shannon stays pretty relaxed most of the time but I saw him get after them pretty hard today. He jumped on Martrell Spaight and Otha Peters a couple of times for not getting to where they needed to be in time. Otha came back and had a really good practice, IMO. I know it's probably not permanent, but just yesterday I told myself maybe they should try TQ some at LB, and sure enough today he was given a look there.

S: McKinney's still learning and growing but he's coming along, IMO. Gaines had a couple of nice PBU's, and of course Alan Turner and Coley did some nice things.

CB: I thought Will Hines had another really good day today. Tevin Mitchel also did very well from what I saw. Jared Collins had a nice PBU against Brandon Allen in team. Really athletic play.

Was REALLY happy to hear what he had to say about Cody Hollister "Catching anything they through near him". Thats GREAT to hear considering how bad the WR position was overall last season.

Oklahawg

Fresh, good report. Mike Irwin has curated a thread on today's practice. You might go copy this to that thread also.

Uncommon

Quote from: Oklahawg on April 12, 2014, 04:25:46 pm
Fresh, good report. Mike Irwin has curated a thread on today's practice. You might go copy this to that thread also.
That Danny West write up was about Thursday's practice, FWIW.