Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SB Nation early pre-season top 35

Started by popcornhog, April 10, 2014, 03:30:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2014/4/9/5596532/2014-15-college-basketball-early-rankings-poll-duke-kentucky-louisville

I'm not sure whether I'm a homer or SB Nation is overlooking us. Maybe a little of both.

Personally, I would expect us to be around 30-35 pre-season.

Here is the "next ten" list -- those just outside of the top 25:

Iowa
Gonzaga
Syracuse
Nebraska
Maryland
Colorado
Utah
West Virginia
Georgetown
Tennessee
WPS

bigredone

They have too many little 12 teams in the top 25. I can see Kansas and maybe OK, but Barnes is just not that good of a coach.

The SEC love continues.

rude1

Huh, a team that didn't make the NCAA and got knocked out of the NIT in convincing fashion in the second round, doesn't get top 35 consideration for next season? Shocking.

Jek Tono Porkins

Finish the sentence: pre-season rankings are as useful as...
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Breems

Both Arkansas and Tennessee are trading spots for the #3 SEC team in most of these "way too early" articles.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

arkmark

Pre-season rankings are as useful and accurate as this articles writer when he wrote Wisconsin missed going to the final with a missed 24 footer by Aaron Harrison.  Aaron Harrison made his 3 for the Cats, Trevon Jackson missed the 24 footer for the win for Wisconsin.

popcornhog

Quote from: rude1 on April 10, 2014, 06:32:36 pm
Huh, a team that didn't make the NCAA and got knocked out of the NIT in convincing fashion in the second round, doesn't get top 35 consideration for next season? Shocking.

Typically a young 23 win team that that went over .500 and swept the national runner up and is returning the bulk of it's talent would be considered a 30ish pre-season team.
WPS

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

secfan30

Quote from: popcornhog on April 10, 2014, 09:32:34 pm
Typically a young 23 win team that that went over .500 and swept the national runner up and is returning the bulk of it's talent would be considered a 30ish pre-season team.

Well you know this doesn't fit into his agenda.

MountieDawg

Since 2008 only 3 teams from the SEC have not made the NCAAT... Arkansas, S Carolina and Auburn... Respect must be earned, if the Hogs had back to back top 10 recruiting classes they might get the benefit of the doubt...
SEC!

jry04

Not a chance UT is a top 30 team next season. They don't have good enough recruits coming in, and lose Barton, Maymon, and McRae. They will be a below .500 sec next season.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 11, 2014, 08:05:17 am
Since 2008 only 3 teams from the SEC have not made the NCAAT... Arkansas, S Carolina and Auburn... Respect must be earned, if the Hogs had back to back top 10 recruiting classes they might get the benefit of the doubt...

Need a recruiter for that to happen.

popcornhog

Quote from: jry04 on April 11, 2014, 08:23:29 am
Not a chance UT is a top 30 team next season. They don't have good enough recruits coming in, and lose Barton, Maymon, and McRae. They will be a below .500 sec next season.

Is Stokes definitely coming back?
WPS

Hogarusa

Any examples of teams that this criteria?  Pretty specific
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Letsroll1200

Quote from: popcornhog on April 11, 2014, 08:43:00 am

CBS Sports has Stokes going to the NBA draft.

jry04

Quote from: popcornhog on April 11, 2014, 08:43:00 am
I guess I was behind with the news. Sounds like he is going pro. UT will be near the bottom of the SEC next season.

popcornhog

Quote from: lowberh on April 11, 2014, 10:24:00 am
Any examples of teams that this criteria?  Pretty specific

Nope. Just a feel based on following college hoops for 20 years as a fan. Now that I think about it, a 23 win team that returns it's core, went over .500 in conference the previous season, and swept the national runner up, and played in the NIT -- maybe those types of teams aren't typically in the top 30 the following year.

My feeling is that they would be though.
WPS

Fayettechill14

True, but we return 4 starters including our top 3 scorers, top rebounder, and top assist-man. Some of these other teams like West Virginia (NIT 4-seed) and Utah (NIT 5-seed) are listed ahead of us. I guess they must return all 5 starters. But there's no reason why we shouldn't be in the conversation.

root_hawg

rude1

The same team that turned around lost by 25 to a Bama team with a losing record, then turned around and loss to SC, another team with a losing record? I forgive them if they don't believe this team is top 35 worthy.

Tick Hog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 11, 2014, 04:54:00 pm
True, but we return 4 starters including our top 3 scorers, top rebounder, and top assist-man. Some of these other teams like West Virginia (NIT 4-seed) and Utah (NIT 5-seed) are listed ahead of us. I guess they must return all 5 starters. But there's no reason why we shouldn't be in the conversation.
Maybe they just feel that our starters aren't very good.

blu

Where we end up is what I'm excited about seeing - Sweet 16 or better - it could happen.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16