Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't rush to anger without conceding reality

Started by Biggus Piggus, April 10, 2014, 11:41:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 10, 2014, 03:31:59 pm
He says he is "Nuttlike" because Bielema doesn't espouse throwing the ball 50 times a game.  No matter who had been hired, posters and fans like BBH, would not have been happy unless it was someone that like to chuck the ball all over the place.  To him, averaging 200-250 yds a game in both the passing game and running game is exactly like Hatfield, Crowe, Ford, and Nutt.  He can't comprehend that Bielema's QBs AVERAGED more per season than the high couple of seasons Nutt QBs had.

Thanks for attempting to speak or me again.  Would never expect 50 passes a game from any coach.  BB never had a feared passing attack except the one year with RW and BB nor his staff developed him.  And again I will point out to you that BB went out and got AC and the offensive line to run the ball well last year.  He did not go all out to make sure we had a good passing attack quickly.  I don't try to paint you any certain way - I debate our differing views.  You don't have a clue about me or why I feel the way I do... 
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 11, 2014, 09:08:50 am
Thanks for attempting to speak or me again.  Would never expect 50 passes a game from any coach.  BB never had a feared passing attack except the one year with RW and BB nor his staff developed him.  And again I will point out to you that BB went out and got AC and the offensive line to run the ball well last year.  He did not go all out to make sure we had a good passing attack quickly.  I don't try to paint you any certain way - I debate our differing views.  You don't have a clue about me or why I feel the way I do...

We all have a clue.  You've spelled it out on here many times.  The issue is, it doesn't match up very well with what history shows, or what's going on with the program right now. 

We all realize you have a deeply seated concern that BB is going to fail here, because of your opinions that he's not innovative enough, wants to play "ground and pound," and we'll never have the talent to play that style.  You've said it over and over, among other concerns regarding his record at Wisconsin. 

We get that you have no faith in BB and his staff.  The issue is, when you share your reasons, they get shot up like swiss cheese.  Do you know why?  Because there's nothing backing them.  History shows he will implement a balanced attack, and he will over achieve with the talent he has at his disposal.  If that's now what you perceive as being effective at Arkansas, then I challenge you to point to a time when we recruited in the top 10 consistently and it bred success.  You won't find it.   

Will it be enough to win the SEC?  Who knows?  No one else has done that here yet either, so it's pretty difficult to say who, where, how, or what it may take to make that happen one day.  But DO NOT act like BP was on the cusp of doing it, because there's plenty of history to illustrate that was not the case. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 10, 2014, 11:48:33 am
Looking over our history, one recurring theme pops out.

Holtz-Hatfield-Crowe-Ford-Nutt-Petrino. When each was hired, Arkansas had the opportunity to hire head coaches who would have put recruiting first. Broyles won with talent. He pulled Holtz out of a pro job, after his NC State staff was long gone. Hatfield was at traditionless Air Force with the requisite mid-major staff. Crowe had nothing. Ford started from scratch. Nutt was at Boise State before it had ever won, period. Petrino came to Arkansas without a staff.

Each time, the hire left Arkansas behind the eight ball in recruiting. Every damn time, it came back to haunt us.

If Bielema is to right our ship, he has to get the talent flow thing right first. Heaven knows nobody did it before him.

The thing I see was Frank meddled to protect his legacy as the Greatest Hog Coach and Ken Hatfield still beats him in winning percentage.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 11, 2014, 10:02:35 am
The thing I see was Frank meddled to protect his legacy as the Greatest Hog Coach and Ken Hatfield still beats him in winning percentage.

Delta...seriously?  Do you honestly think that after all of the hours and time that JFB put into the Razorback athletic programs, that he wanted ANYTHING other than for the teams to win?  Especially football? 

He gave a big chunk of his life to the UA, and to tell the truth, this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on Hogville, and I expect more from someone of your age and background.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Chief Mac

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 11, 2014, 09:08:50 am

I think you have made it abundately clear....you want a pass happy offense

Quote from: bigbadhog on January 02, 2014, 02:23:16 pm
Even with Russell Wilson he only threw 23 times a game.  Pretty weak

Quote from: bigbadhog on November 20, 2013, 08:56:05 pm
Apparently he hired who he thought was the "best coach available" regardless of style and philosophy.  Someone like Gundy, Sarkesian, Briles, etc... could have come in and turned us around quicker because they would have kept an offense that could pass the ball.  BB was not a good choice and certainly a shocker.  Rumor is another successful coach (I have no idea who it was) had committed to the job months earlier and backed out leaving JL scrambling. At that time BB was the best option.  I didn't like him at Wisc and I don't like him now.  Unfortunately we are stuck with this experiment for a few more years.

Quote from: bigbadhog on October 31, 2013, 12:43:37 pm
Briles, Gundy, Sarkesian, Sumlin, Mora, Dykes, todd graham, someone from the pros such as Mike Martz.  Someone who would know how to continue the success we had under BP.  BB shouldn't have been given a look.

Quote from: bigbadhog on October 24, 2013, 09:49:12 am
We hired the wrong coach.  When we see what we have built in five years, we will wish it were something closer to what Briles has done at Baylor.  Arkansas has to be different to compete and we will never out bama bama which I said the day we hired BB.  He was the wrong hire for our program.....
Quote from: bigbadhog on October 21, 2013, 01:09:28 pm
BB needs to swallow his pride and do something different.  Spread with HUNH would be interesting.  Chaney could certainly run it if given the green light.  If BB doesn't swallow his pride and try something different, this turnaround will be at least 5 years.
Quote from: bigbadhog on October 20, 2013, 01:00:40 am
Missouri beat FL today with a RS Freshman QB throwing for 295 yards.  Missouri was terrible last year.  How can Auburn, Missouri and Ole Miss turnaround in one year and it takes us five times that long?????  Tenner turning much quicker also.
Quote from: bigbadhog on October 18, 2013, 12:46:39 pm
I don't blame him for the record after seven games this season.  I blame JL for changing the direction and philosophy of our program after BP's success.  I thought he was smarter than that.  It is going to make the rebuilding process longer and more difficult.  The problem is under BB we now know what we are building to and I didn't enjoy 1984-2007 too much.  BBH
Quote from: bigbadhog on October 09, 2013, 11:36:13 am
At least a few of us are consistent.  I demanded a passing coach all the way back to the Hatfield Era and every coach since.  Today I am still demanding a passing coach because when the defense stops the run you have to be able to pass and historically we can't do that.  It is sad to watch us make the same mistakes over and over again with no clue.  The Florida Game was the perfect example - once they stop the run, we look like a fire drill on offense.  If you want to be good at passing the ball, you make it part of your offense (not just when the run is stopped and not just play action) just like the running game (not it's little brother!)!
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

DeltaBoy

April 11, 2014, 10:10:33 am #105 Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 11:00:19 am by DeltaBoy
Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 11, 2014, 10:07:33 am
Delta...seriously?  Do you honestly think that after all of the hours and time that JFB put into the Razorback athletic programs, that he wanted ANYTHING other than for the teams to win?  Especially football? 

He gave a big chunk of his life to the UA, and to tell the truth, this is one of the worst posts I've ever seen on Hogville, and I expect more from someone of your age and background.   

Facts are Facts he ran off folks and Hired people with out Staffs if he wanted to win Football games as AD he sure as hades knew how to do it but he DIDN"T  and his cop out about the Committee and Him wanting Tommy Tubberville was just a smoke screen to save his image.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

LZH

Actually, a huge chunk of guys now in their 50's and 60's say the very same thing.  Hell, my daddy swore that was true....he said it from the day Holtz got run off til the day he died.

ChitownHawg

I agree with you. Now Frank may have meddled around in the head coaches' he hired, but I would guess it was more from the point "I'm Frank Broyles and had a very successful head coaching career." Not from a petty point as Delta believes.

But then we are all speculating.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 11, 2014, 10:13:43 am
Actually, a huge chunk of guys now in their 50's and 60's say the very same thing.  Hell, my daddy swore that was true....he said it from the day Holtz got run off til the day he died.

Led, they say it from a point of first- hand knowledge or speculation?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

chitwnhog

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on April 11, 2014, 10:08:56 am

Lolz...Boom!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 11, 2014, 10:13:43 am

God...I really want to punch myself for even responding to Delta now.  I cannot believe I played a part in derailing a thread to a JFB argument. 

One comment...and you guys can argue all you want about this. 

Arkansas is not what it is today without JFB's undying commitment to the UA.  Was he perfect?  Absolutely not, and whatever harm he did was not because he sabotaged anything on purpose for the sake of protecting his accomplishments.  I will never believe that unless I heard it from his mouth. 

LZH

Quote from: locusbug on April 11, 2014, 10:17:08 am

Oh I doubt very seriously any of them had any first-hand knowledge, even my dad.  He loved his Hogs, but could not stand Broyles.  But, he and many of his buddies were absolutely convinced that FB would not stand for another football coach to come close to surpassing his accomplishments from the 1960's.  This is a pretty well known POV by alot of guys that are a generation ahead of me.

I don't agree, but then I couldn't imagine that HDN would sabotage his own team before he'd allow Gus any credit for the wildcat's success.....and we all know how that turned out.

urkillnmesmalls

EXPOSED.   8)

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 11, 2014, 10:24:22 am
God...I really want to punch myself for even responding to Delta now.  I cannot believe I played a part in derailing a thread to a JFB argument. 

One comment...and you guys can argue all you want about this. 

Arkansas is not what it is today without JFB's undying commitment to the UA.  Was he perfect?  Absolutely not, and whatever harm he did was not because he sabotaged anything on purpose for the sake of protecting his accomplishments.  I will never believe that unless I heard it from his mouth. 

I am not saying that I don't agree with you - just saying that there are alot of people who feel that way.  Quite alot, actually.

Steef

Frank did a lousy job of hiring/firing/building coaching staffs for our football program.

History says that's true.

Only thing left to debate, is whether he did it on purpose, or because he was just lousy at it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: locusbug on April 11, 2014, 10:17:08 am

We didn't have internets back in 1971-1974, but if we did, they would have been full of anti-Broyles rants.  You heard them constantly in the stands during those mediocre years.  You almost couldn't get through a 3rd down without hearing someone say "pooch kick". 

My take is this.  You can't please all the people all the time.  Had it not been for Frank Broyles' immense talent as a head coach and his dedication to and his love for the Razorbacks and his adopted state, we wouldn't be sitting here now walking through a legacy of Lou Holtz, Ken Hatfield, et al.  Nor would we be talking about the SEC in terms other than that conference that dominates the collegiate athletic landscape.  We would probably have made the Big 12 cut when the SWC collapsed and might be in a two-team race with Kansas as perennial cellar dwellars.   

When Frank Broyles arrived in Fayetteville in 1958, Arkansas had a losing record against almost all SWC teams.  We cracked the Top 10 once a decade or so.  Any win over Ole Miss was an upset of major proportions. 

In spite of their lack of tradition, Frank Broyles coveted the Arkansas job since his days as an assistant under Bobby Dodd at Georgia Tech.  The reason is because he saw something that no one else saw - a team with the ability to capture the hearts of an entire state, and thus every topnotch football player that state produced. 

Frank Broyles was recognized as one of the top coaches in the country for good reason.  He could have coached anywhere, but no one but Georgia Tech even offered because they knew he bled little red pigs.  He has done that for over 55 years.  I've seen him get so upset in his box during a game that he had to leave. His doctors told him for years not to watch the games.  Frank Broyles is as big a fan as anyone of us on this Board. 

As for the Houston Nutt hire, many have known since it happened that Frank was furious about it.  He thought he had a deal with Tubberville.  Even if this weren't true, he is entitled to mistakes.  He made a mistake with the way he handled Nolan Richardson.  Maybe he could never overcome his pre-civil rights era Georgia roots.  Maybe there is a side of him that is less than admirable.  Most of us have one.

When all is said and done, Frank Broyles has done more for the University of Arkansas, the Arkansas Razorbacks, and the entire state through his lifelong efforts than anyone else I can think of.  We owe him nothing but respect and gratitude.  If we perceive that he made mistakes along the way, they pale by comparison to the good, and those mistakes should be forgiven.     
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike Irwin

Frank was part genius, part head scratcher. He made innovative, ground breaking decisions. He did some really dumb stuff. In other words he was human.

You can't argue with his coaching record. In the 1960s Arkansas was a top five program. Probably top three. There has never been any other sustained success like that in the 120 year history of the program.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 11, 2014, 10:24:37 am
Oh I doubt very seriously any of them had any first-hand knowledge, even my dad.  He loved his Hogs, but could not stand Broyles.  But, he and many of his buddies were absolutely convinced that FB would not stand for another football coach to come close to surpassing his accomplishments from the 1960's.  This is a pretty well known POV by alot of guys that are a generation ahead of me.

I don't agree, but then I couldn't imagine that HDN would sabotage his own team before he'd allow Gus any credit for the wildcat's success.....and we all know how that turned out.

Yep that the TRUTH!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 11, 2014, 10:26:41 am
I am not saying that I don't agree with you - just saying that there are alot of people who feel that way.  Quite alot, actually.

I know...and they blame him for Nolan begging to be fired, our only NC BB coach, JFB was a racist, blah, blah, blah...but he hired Nolan in the first place.  He wouldn't hire a proven coach..but he hired Ford.  I've heard 'em all.  There's always an excuse and why not blame the AD for it. 

To this day I have no idea why he didn't run McDonnell off when he had the chance.  I mean...look how many NC's he won compared to all the other programs.  That really makes his lone NC in football look almost lame.  /sarcasm

hog911

Quote from: RazorFlix on April 10, 2014, 12:27:44 pm
If you look at Bielema's teams at Wisconsin he had success despite multiple years of poor recruiting rankings.  Seems that would be a good fit for Arkansas.

Do you think Wisconsin would have been competitive in the SEC? They would have went 7-5 on a very good year. Also, look at Wisconsin's Roster during the Bielema years. 90% of the roster was from Wisconsin or within a 200 mile radius of Madison. My point is he has not sold me on the fact he can win with less talent! I fore see him making it through this upcoming season and the next and then his run at Arkansas will come to an end. I would love to be wrong on this one, but history has not been kind to Hog fans!

ArkansasI

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2014, 11:00:22 am
Frank was part genius, part head scratcher. He made innovative, ground breaking decisions. He did some really dumb stuff. In other words he was human.

You can't argue with his coaching record. In the 1960s Arkansas was a top five program. Probably top three. There has never been any other sustained success like that in the 120 year history of the program.
Mike,

I am curious to know how Lou got the Arkansas job. Don't you think it odd Frank didn't hire from within his vast coaching tree?

cosmodrum

Quote from: hog911 on April 11, 2014, 11:08:11 am
Do you think Wisconsin would have been competitive in the SEC? They would have went 7-5 on a very good year. Also, look at Wisconsin's Roster during the Bielema years. 90% of the roster was from Wisconsin or within a 200 mile radius of Madison. My point is he has not sold me on the fact he can win with less talent! I fore see him making it through this upcoming season and the next and then his run at Arkansas will come to an end. I would love to be wrong on this one, but history has not been kind to Hog fans!

It doesn't matter how good UW would have been in the SEC, because they weren't.
Go away, batin'

DeltaBoy

I can agree with this and my other point about Frank was his FREINDSHIP With Royal.  Heck he could have chosen anyone else but that Shorthorn.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hog911 on April 11, 2014, 11:08:11 am

We played them...and got beat with a pretty good team.  So there's that...

(Insert obligatory "we weren't motivated, we got unlucky, coaching lost that game us) excuse here ________________________________. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 11, 2014, 11:14:24 am
I can agree with this and my other point about Frank was his FREINDSHIP With Royal.  Heck he could have chosen anyone else but that Shorthorn.

I watched a documentary on the 1994 NCAA Tourney. I reckon I didn't notice the first time due to bouncing around the house like an idiot and calling distant relatives all over the state, but Nolan kinda dissed Broyles on the court right after the clock expired. You could kinda tell there was no love between the two. Broyles comes on to the court and Nolan has an " not that @eehole, awe damn look" and turns away from him.
This is my non-signature signature.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ArkansasI on April 11, 2014, 11:12:02 am
Mike,

I am curious to know how Lou got the Arkansas job. Don't you think it odd Frank didn't hire from within his vast coaching tree?
Frank was very impulsive. He was always looking for the latest new thing. It was said that he hired and fired coaches the same way he worked on his golf swing.

He probably changed his swing 50 times over the years. Every time he'd hear about some new approach he'd be all over it.

Lou was considered a rising offensive genius. The Bobby Petrino of the 70's. Like Petrino Lou jumped to pro football and hated it.

Frank went after him.

Like Petrino Lou was a complete jackass to deal with. Like Petrino Lou didn't spend much time recruiting. Like Petrino Lou was a hell of a play caller. Unlike Petrino Lou did not sleep around.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2014, 11:30:01 am
Frank was very impulsive. He was always looking for the latest new thing. It was said that he hired and fired coaches the same way he worked on his golf swing.

He probably changed his swing 50 times over the years. Every time he'd hear about some new approach he'd be all over it.

Lou was considered a rising offensive genius. The Bobby Petrino of the 70's. Like Petrino Lou jumped to pro football and hated it.

Frank went after him.

Like Petrino Lou was a complete jackass to deal with. Like Petrino Lou didn't spend much time recruiting. Like Petrino Lou was a hell of a play caller. Unlike Petrino Lou did not sleep around.

I know people see Lou as a sweet and kind older gentlemen now, but the younger generation has no idea how caustic, hard headed, and abrasive that guy was.  It's a miracle that he lasted as long as he did here with Broyles.  Seriously. 

Most of the time he and Mark May choose an opposing side, and go back and forth in good spirits.  But...every now and then you see Lou get that incredulous look on his face that is that same dismissive look he used to get when his opinion on something was questioned.  He may be small in stature...but he's got a bigger ego than most people would believe. 

Inhogswetrust

It's not always fun proving people wrong but I bet that was satisfying to prove to him with all the quotes he posted you provided.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

As I've always said: "Get the right coach in the right place at the right time".
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Looks like someone actually knows Lou's personality and motus operandi.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lchog on April 11, 2014, 07:00:11 am
Guys, this isn't about Petrino or BB. This is about guys hating Petrino so much that they will throw OUR players under the bus just to make a point of what a terrible coach/person he was.

Petrino was not terrible at managing recruiting. And he was dealing with a lot of staff changes. The two problems we're talking about - Petrino had a hard time getting players at certain positions for some reason. They were important positions. OT, LB, DB. Second problem - Petrino was brilliant; he could do more with the available players than anyone else. Most coaches need more talent. We didn't have another Petrino to hire. Oh, there might have been a couple of possibilities out there, but they would have been reaches. Not that a good reach isn't called for sometimes.
[CENSORED]!

Hawgon

QuoteLike Petrino Lou was a complete jackass to deal with. Like Petrino Lou didn't spend much time recruiting. Like Petrino Lou was a hell of a play caller. Unlike Petrino Lou did not sleep around.

Strange, I've seen you praise Petrino on this very board for being professional, always on time, and mostly cordial in his dealings with the media.

Biggus Piggus

Just want to say --

Frank Broyles, why did you retire in 1976? Why oh why oh why?

Let's go back to 1977. Arkansas started 4-0, absolutely mauling New Mexico State, Oklahoma State, Tulsa and TCU.

Texas shut out Boston College and Virginia (at home), hung 72 on Rice, won the OU rivalry game. The Longhorns had to travel to Fayetteville the week after that always emotional game against the Sooners in Dallas.

This was a monster showdown, and Lou Holtz's jones shriveled. He went into a shell. Now, Texas's defense was OK, but hey -- they got scored on quite a bit down the stretch, including the 38-10 loss to Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl.

Don't even wonder whether Holtz felt Broyles' eyes on his back every second of the Texas game in '77. (Truth is, Frank likely wasn't even watching. He couldn't stand to watch games. You could find him pacing around the stadium innards, not sitting in a box, or standing on the sideline.)

The game was decided by field goals, when Arkansas and Texas had two of the game's three greatest kickers. And we lost 13-9.

After that, Arkansas scored 30+ in five of its last seven games. The Hogs shut out Houston 34-0 the next week. And thus we were introduced to the mood swings of Lou Holtz. If he could catch an opponent by surprise, Holtz could devastate them. Preparing for obvious big games, not so much.

I have always wondered what Broyles would have done with that team, with his staff. Holtz was good, but Broyles was a genius. I wonder whether Broyles knew he was walking away from a team capable of winning a MNC.
[CENSORED]!

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Hawgon on April 11, 2014, 12:38:58 pm
Strange, I've seen you praise Petrino on this very board for being professional, always on time, and mostly cordial in his dealings with the media.

Public v private persona?
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

ArkansasI

Frank went after him.

Thanks for the reply Mike.  I was just a kid during Lou's tenure.  I loved him as our coach and knew when he had run his course.  I still think it was a odd that Broyles didn't think that one of his own wasn't better suited for the job.

Of course, Lou did a great job those first few years.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawgon on April 11, 2014, 12:38:58 pm

Being professional in your dealing with one aspect of your job such as the media doesn't mean you aren't a jerk at other aspects of your job or personally to those that work with you. Before I went out on my own I worked for a couple of guys that were total buttholes to deal with but talk to them outside of work and they were cordial.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on April 11, 2014, 12:54:23 pm
Public v private persona?

Bingo. It happens. It can be a split personality disorder or bipolar.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 11, 2014, 12:47:38 pm
Just want to say --

Frank Broyles, why did you retire in 1976? Why oh why oh why?

Let's go back to 1977. Arkansas started 4-0, absolutely mauling New Mexico State, Oklahoma State, Tulsa and TCU.

Texas shut out Boston College and Virginia (at home), hung 72 on Rice, won the OU rivalry game. The Longhorns had to travel to Fayetteville the week after that always emotional game against the Sooners in Dallas.

This was a monster showdown, and Lou Holtz's jones shriveled. He went into a shell. Now, Texas's defense was OK, but hey -- they got scored on quite a bit down the stretch, including the 38-10 loss to Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl.

Don't even wonder whether Holtz felt Broyles' eyes on his back every second of the Texas game in '77. (Truth is, Frank likely wasn't even watching. He couldn't stand to watch games. You could find him pacing around the stadium innards, not sitting in a box, or standing on the sideline.)

The game was decided by field goals, when Arkansas and Texas had two of the game's three greatest kickers. And we lost 13-9.

After that, Arkansas scored 30+ in five of its last seven games. The Hogs shut out Houston 34-0 the next week. And thus we were introduced to the mood swings of Lou Holtz. If he could catch an opponent by surprise, Holtz could devastate them. Preparing for obvious big games, not so much.

I have always wondered what Broyles would have done with that team, with his staff. Holtz was good, but Broyles was a genius. I wonder whether Broyles knew he was walking away from a team capable of winning a MNC.
Mega dittos BP.  Frank was just 53 years old at the time he hung it up.  I guess that shows that football is a young man's game.  That, and the fact that coaches weren't getting paid back then like they are now.

It would be one thing if he was walking away from the stress of the game.  But he carried it around  with him just as bad or worse in his administrative position.  At least he burned it off some on the sidelines.  Serving as AD made him take to the tunnels.

bigbadhog

I have never asked for 50 passes a game and as someone who truly likes a balanced offense, I wouldn't like that.  A true balanced attack has a feared passing attack along with a feared running attack - what Petrino had the second half of 2010.  It is not about entertainment as you like to portray, it is about being able run or pass as needed to win ballgames.  Something We didn't have from 1984-2007.  It takes a better passing attack than "efficient" and "enough to keep the defense honest" to have a true balanced attack.  The only year BB sniffed that was RW's year at WISC and since he nor his staff developed RW's skills, I don't give BB much credit for that.  I never asked for a passing attack in lieu of a running game as you again like to portray.  You don't have to agree with me but don't make up things that you claim I want...

hogsanity

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 11, 2014, 01:38:48 pm
  It is not about entertainment as you like to portray, it is about being able run or pass as needed to win ballgames. 

Maybe not for YOU, but for many it IS all about ENTERTAINMENT.  Some are open about it, they freely admit they watch to be entertained, and the Hogs winning is only PART of that entertainment.

For many though, entertainment is first.  Just look at those who would rather see the hogs play 4 big ooc games, never mind that is NOT good for the program.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 11, 2014, 01:38:48 pm
I have never asked for 50 passes a game and as someone who truly likes a balanced offense, I wouldn't like that.  A true balanced attack has a feared passing attack along with a feared running attack - what Petrino had the second half of 2010.  It is not about entertainment as you like to portray, it is about being able run or pass as needed to win ballgames.  Something We didn't have from 1984-2007.  It takes a better passing attack than "efficient" and "enough to keep the defense honest" to have a true balanced attack.  The only year BB sniffed that was RW's year at WISC and since he nor his staff developed RW's skills, I don't give BB much credit for that.  I never asked for a passing attack in lieu of a running game as you again like to portray.  You don't have to agree with me but don't make up things that you claim I want...

Balanced is exactly what's needed. But everyone knows that some fans "have ADHD and in order to watch a football game have to see the ball thrown around a billion times" (somebody posted that somewhere on here once and it's hard to disagree with).

bigbadhog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 11, 2014, 09:47:58 am
We all have a clue.  You've spelled it out on here many times.  The issue is, it doesn't match up very well with what history shows, or what's going on with the program right now. 

We all realize you have a deeply seated concern that BB is going to fail here, because of your opinions that he's not innovative enough, wants to play "ground and pound," and we'll never have the talent to play that style.  You've said it over and over, among other concerns regarding his record at Wisconsin. 

We get that you have no faith in BB and his staff.  The issue is, when you share your reasons, they get shot up like swiss cheese.  Do you know why?  Because there's nothing backing them.  History shows he will implement a balanced attack, and he will over achieve with the talent he has at his disposal.  If that's now what you perceive as being effective at Arkansas, then I challenge you to point to a time when we recruited in the top 10 consistently and it bred success.  You won't find it.   

Will it be enough to win the SEC?  Who knows?  No one else has done that here yet either, so it's pretty difficult to say who, where, how, or what it may take to make that happen one day.  But DO NOT act like BP was on the cusp of doing it, because there's plenty of history to illustrate that was not the case. 

After four years as head Hog BP had a BCS bowl appearance and a top 5 (best since 1977) finish while changing philosophies after Nutt.  It will be very interesting to see where BB has us after three more seasons.  He'll have to have an SEC championship to beat that.  Time will be running short very quickly...  I don't see the love for this guy and never will.  If he were at a rival school, this board would be lit up 24/7 making fun of him...

hogsanity

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 11, 2014, 01:47:19 pm
  If he were at a rival school, this board would be lit up 24/7 making fun of him...

Instead we have supposed hog fans on here making fun OF OUR OWN COACH.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

chitwnhog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 11, 2014, 01:52:36 pm
Instead we have supposed hog fans on here making fun OF OUR OWN COACH.

Bingo! This is why I get so annoyed at Hogville lately. If after 3+ seasons Bielema hasn't had some success I am all for and will understand people grumbling and acting like they are now. After one season (and some before he coached a game) I don't get it.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: chitwnhog on April 11, 2014, 01:56:26 pm
Bingo! This is why I get so annoyed at Hogville lately. If after 3+ seasons Bielema hasn't had some success I am all for and will understand people grumbling and acting like they are now. After one season (and some before he coached a game) I don't get it.

Yeah. Some people only want us to win if it is done how they feel it should be done.

bigbadhog

Quote from: StevenW1976 on April 11, 2014, 01:58:04 pm
Yeah. Some people only want us to win if it is done how they feel it should be done.

BP provided the roadmap to success here (first top 5 finish since 1977) and JL chose to ignore it and change philosophies back to pre-Petrino years.  It makes no sense if you look at it logically.  We hired a dinosaur to lead us in the era of modern football... 

chitwnhog

Quote from: StevenW1976 on April 11, 2014, 01:58:04 pm

I agree. People want to point out that his former teams were three yards and a cloud of dust and that we are going to have HDN2 but I don't see that. Beilema hired Cheney for a reason and the reason is that he throws the ball. I believe Beilema wanted to establish the line and the running game and this season we will see more from the passing game.

chitwnhog

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 11, 2014, 02:02:37 pm
BP provided the roadmap to success here (first top 5 finish since 1977) and JL chose to ignore it and change philosophies back to pre-Petrino years.  It makes no sense if you look at it logically.  We hired a dinosaur to lead us in the era of modern football... 

The problem is that Petrino's System only works if Petrino is running it, look at 2012 for proof.

bigbadhog

Quote from: chitwnhog on April 11, 2014, 02:05:12 pm
The problem is that Petrino's System only works if Petrino is running it, look at 2012 for proof.

Agreed, but there are other innovative coaches our there but BB wasn't one of them...

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigbadhog on April 11, 2014, 02:02:37 pm
BP provided the roadmap to success here (first top 5 finish since 1977) and JL chose to ignore it and change philosophies back to pre-Petrino years.  It makes no sense if you look at it logically. We hired a dinosaur to lead us in the era of modern football...

Unless the type of coach you are talking about was not interested. Can you name a legitimate source that stated any coach of this type was interested? I ask because to bad mouth CBB / Long based on your speculation is not right.