Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Meet the Bag Man: How to Buy Players from a man who claims to deliver the $

Started by jbcarol, April 10, 2014, 11:37:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/4/10/5594348/college-football-bag-man-interview

QuoteThe Bag Man excuses himself to make a call outside, on his "other phone," to arrange delivery of $500 in cash to a visiting recruit. The player is rated No. 1 at his position nationally and on his way into town. We're sitting in a popular restaurant near campus almost a week before National Signing Day, talking about how to arrange cash payments for amateur athletes.

"Nah, there's no way we're landing him, but you still have to do it," he says. "It looks good. It's good for down the road. Same reason my wife reads Yelp. These kids talk to each other. It's a waste of money, but they're doing the same thing to our guys right now in [rival school's town]. Cost of business."

When things are done correctly, there's no proof more substantial than one man's word over another...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PowderedPig

Amityvillehogger

How else can ole Nicky Satan keep a roster full of 5* players happy.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Break & Run

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on April 10, 2014, 12:30:14 pm
How else can ole Nicky Satan keep a roster full of 5* players happy.

Championships might have something to do with it.  SMH.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

VanilaGorila

Only $500 for a #1 rated recruit at their position? Seems like most Prima Donna's these days would be insulted but such a low amount. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: VanilaGorila on April 10, 2014, 01:05:56 pm
Only $500 for a #1 rated recruit at their position? Seems like most Prima Donna's these days would be insulted but such a low amount. 

In Memphis that's chump change.........................................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: VanilaGorila on April 10, 2014, 01:05:56 pm

That wasn't for the signature on NSD, that was just a welcome to town gift.

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2014, 01:29:35 pm
In Memphis that's chump change.........................................

Ain't everyone Albert Means' coach......

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Break & Run on April 10, 2014, 01:01:49 pm
Championships might have something to do with it.  SMH.

You must not spend much time around 18-22 year old kids now days then.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Uncommon

I'm glad an Auburn fan took time out of his busy schedule to do that interview.  Of course, it probably wasn't an Auburn fan because:
A. You need lots of money

B. You have to be intelligent not to get caught

secneahog

I had to quit reading half way through it. Talk about a low life, sleazy p.o.s.
Slime ball that is willing to cheat and corrupt the game so he can see his team win.

Reminds me of the movie Blue Chips.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Break & Run

Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

fortsmithokie

So he took all this time to write a story without a single identified source to tell us about what we already know is going on. I smell Pulitzer Prize.

MiHogsMi

I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

redeye

Quote from: secneahog on April 10, 2014, 01:49:31 pm
Slime ball that is willing to cheat and corrupt the game so he can see his team win.

Yea, I can never finish these things, either.

Universities are doing a fine job of teaching student-athletes how to cheat.

HogFoo

To Quote Charles barkley.  former aubbie alum.   "  If you ain't paying, you ain't trying!''

It's pretty obvious that this happens. Yeah, once you get your program established with a winning tradition you don't have to do it as much.  Then the winning brings the recruits in for the most part.  I just keep thinking of Ole Piss.  I could see them getting kids from that area or from one of the what, 52 jucos they have???  But, when they start getting the #1 players at their positions from around the nation in a coaches first year???  Something is fishy. 

So, apparently, we aren't paying enough!  hahaha
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

lahawg1

wstill3

wow thats a very interesting read, from watching what has happened with people I know, I don't doubt this in the least.

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

JansterZ71

Yes it's interesting that they say it happens at EVERY SEC school.

The author should have said every major program because that is the truth
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

tophawg19

and how does this guy just happen to know all these guys who are so willing to talk . especially knowing he could turn them in and damage their university ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

JansterZ71

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 10, 2014, 08:13:02 pm
and how does this guy just happen to know all these guys who are so willing to talk . especially knowing he could turn them in and damage their university ?
I'm sure the story has some sort of validity but it's obvious the dude stretched the truth just a tad.  No way he knows multiple people from multiple school that pay recruits and that would be open to telling him
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Fayettechill14

I have a hard time believing that an SB Nation reporter got so much access to so many people willing to talk. I have no doubt there's a lot of truth there, but I'm guessing it's embellished a bit.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: secneahog on April 10, 2014, 01:49:31 pm

You wouldn't drop a couple grand for a couple more wins if you were financially able?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 10, 2014, 08:23:30 pm
I have a hard time believing that an SB Nation reporter got so much access to so many people willing to talk. I have no doubt there's a lot of truth there, but I'm guessing it's embellished a bit.

As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in between.

Writers need reads to make them able to continue to be writers.

Sensationalism sells, whether it serves the truth of the matter or not.
Go Hogs Go!

Tusks

its not the 'bag' man game the hogs have to play....its the whole system.  even duke got BB parents jobs in the research triangle.  why don't we offer walmart and tyson jobs.

LSU recruits dad owns a liquor store.  someone pulls up and buys out the whole store.  then a truck pulls up and restocks the store at no charge.  kids signs with LSU.

THAT is how you play the game.  Not with bags of cash.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Laughing Hog

"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

popcornhog

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 10, 2014, 08:12:12 pm
Yes it's interesting that they say it happens at EVERY SEC school.

The author should have said every major program because that is the truth

Out of sheer curiosity, how do you know that?
WPS

The_Hog_Father

Quote from: tusked on April 10, 2014, 09:25:19 pm
its not the 'bag' man game the hogs have to play....its the whole system.  even duke got BB parents jobs in the research triangle.  why don't we offer walmart and tyson jobs.

LSU recruits dad owns a liquor store.  someone pulls up and buys out the whole store.  then a truck pulls up and restocks the store at no charge.  kids signs with LSU.

THAT is how you play the game.  Not with bags of cash.

+1  #QTF

redeye

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 10, 2014, 08:50:42 pm
You wouldn't drop a couple grand for a couple more wins if you were financially able?

Would you provide your favorite MLB team with steroids, if you had the means?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: redeye on April 11, 2014, 02:06:17 am
Would you provide your favorite MLB team with steroids, if you had the means?

Totally different. Steroids affect the players physical state. If someone asked you, "give me a couple grand and it'll improve arkansas football" would you do it?

Couldn't be auburn based on the story of the coach that cussed on the plane. I bet it's Ole Miss

Albert Einswine

I assume you're implying Gus doesn't cuss?  Right... that's Nutt level mythology.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Mike Irwin

Alabama cheats the best. They try not to get caught but they do it so much that every 10 years or so they have to pay the price.

Auburn boosters have figured out that Mark Emert doesn't care about enforcing the rules these days so they're cheating with impunity.

Arkansas has wimpy cheaters. Guys that slip a kid a couple of twenty dollar bills and tell him to have a good time (with a wink).

In most cases SEC coaches don't get involved in this stuff. As long as they don't look hard enough they can honestly say they don't know about any cheating.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 11, 2014, 08:11:26 am
I assume you're implying Gus doesn't cuss?  Right... that's Nutt level mythology.
Ken Hatfield was known to occasionally cut loose. What's your point?

popcornhog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on April 11, 2014, 08:11:26 am

I'm pretty sure he was joking.
WPS

Albert Einswine

I'm just having fun with it. There were folks who thought Nutty so pious they couldn't fathom a cuss word parting his lips. I've never known, or known of a football coach who didn't cuss a blue streak on an occasional to regular basis.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 10, 2014, 08:23:30 pm

Yeah, especially when one of the rules was to never interact with the media. I'm reminded of that TV show that claims to reveal the secrets behind magicians tricks. Gives just enough information to make the masses think they know how it is being done, but is really just another form of "misdirection". Fun read though.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

PorkRinds

I promised Collins a kiddie pool full of Ranch dressing, and got him to come to Arkansas.  Some kids want money, some just like the cool refreshing taste of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing in a rubber swimming pool filled to the brim.  Just sayin...

chitwnhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 11, 2014, 08:35:50 am
Alabama cheats the best. They try not to get caught but they do it so much that every 10 years or so they have to pay the price.

Auburn boosters have figured out that Mark Emert doesn't care about enforcing the rules these days so they're cheating with impunity.

Arkansas has wimpy cheaters. Guys that slip a kid a couple of twenty dollar bills and tell him to have a good time (with a wink).

In most cases SEC coaches don't get involved in this stuff. As long as they don't look hard enough they can honestly say they don't know about any cheating.

I think this is probably pretty close to reality. I was talking to a friend of mine who is a big LSU booster and he said everyone cheats. My response "Arkansas is doing it all wrong."

Albert Einswine

Fatty McGee

All you guys shooting the messenger remind me of Captain Renault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

All the billions flowing through college football and you can't believe there are people funneling a few hundred to some of the players?  And that the schools look the other way or are willfully ignorant?  You're fooling only yourselves.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 11, 2014, 10:42:17 am
All you guys shooting the messenger remind me of Captain Renault:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjbPi00k_ME

All the billions flowing through college football and you can't believe there are people funneling a few hundred to some of the players?  And that the schools look the other way or are willfully ignorant?  You're fooling only yourselves.

Probably the reason half of em are broke is the same reason NFL and NBA players get broke. They think the money will always be there and don't try to conserve anything.
This is my non-signature signature.