Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What was the single loudest moment...

Started by peckerwood#3, April 10, 2014, 10:16:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Porkleone

Quote from: ATU HOG on April 11, 2014, 08:37:06 am
Alabama in 2010 was insane.  I was a sophomore in college, but not at U of A.  Decided to transfer to U of A in 2011.

Tennessee in 2011 was pretty crazy too.  It was a highlight reel game for Joe Adams and Jarius Wright.  Also they played Thunderstruck in the stadium when we were on offense (dumb I know) during a timeout.  Well we had to quiet down, and next play Joe took the pitch all the way for about 90 yards.  Place was already pumped, took it too another level.

The Joe Adams 92 yd TD was against Auburn in 2011.
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

urkillnmesmalls

So, no votes for the 2001 Volunteer game when the lightning bold hit about 30 feet outside the SW side of the stadium??    :o

That was probably the single loudest moment I can recall.  After that, if you're going just by that feeling in your chest that you get from the roar, I'd say the Wingo wheel route in 2010, tied with the Miracle on Markham.  A lot of people are posting entire games, and that to me is a different subject.  For entire games of people being on their feet and constant noise, I'm surprised the 89 Houston games hasn't gotten any mention.  That thing was electric, and it was back and forth with a constant murmur. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 11, 2014, 09:28:26 am
So, no votes for the 2001 Volunteer game when the lightning bold hit about 30 feet outside the SW side of the stadium??    :o

That was probably the single loudest moment I can recall.  After that, if you're going just by that feeling in your chest that you get from the roar, I'd say the Wingo wheel route in 2010, tied with the Miracle on Markham.  A lot of people are posting entire games, and that to me is a different subject.  For entire games of people being on their feet and constant noise, I'm surprised the 89 Houston games hasn't gotten any mention.  That thing was electric, and it was back and forth with a constant murmur.

See reply #47/48.  That '89 Houston game was a fun one to watch, especially with the "SMU, SMU" chant at the end.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 11, 2014, 09:47:11 am
See reply #47/48.  That '89 Houston game was a fun one to watch, especially with the "SMU, SMU" chant at the end.

My bad... :-[   That game was modern day Big 12 football before its time! 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

LZH

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 11, 2014, 09:47:11 am

I don't guess I remember that.  What was that about?....wasn't SMU on double-secret probation in those days?

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 11, 2014, 10:03:12 am
I don't guess I remember that.  What was that about?....wasn't SMU on double-secret probation in those days?

They had come off probation and were stuck with limited scholarship players and walk-ons.  Houston hung 95 on them the week before and the fans let them know it once we had the game in hand.

LZH

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on April 11, 2014, 10:30:06 am
They had come off probation and were stuck with limited scholarship players and walk-ons.  Houston hung 95 on them the week before and the fans let them know it once we had the game in hand.

Ah, yeah the 95 points game in the Astrodome - with a monstrous crowd of hundreds and hundreds in attendance.  Pardee always was a SOB.

litmachog

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on April 11, 2014, 08:47:15 am

I was there for that and knew that one was loud but didn't realize HOW LOUD until I watched a replay of it on the computer.

ATU HOG

Quote from: Michael Porkleone on April 11, 2014, 08:47:15 am
That is exactly right. My bad

EastArkHog 47

Texas 2004 in RRS and Texas 1979 in LR, 69 Texas was pretty loud considering the number of people there. Thing about Texas 2004 there were about as many people outside the stadium as there were inside, the best overall atmosphere I have ever seen.

allredhog

Being the old fart that I am.....

1974  WMS  Hogs 22 USC 7
1979  WMS  Hogs 17 Texas 14
1989  WMS  Hogs 45 Houston 39
1998  WMS  Hogs 27 Kentucky 20

These four it was the whole game!

1981  RS       Hogs 42 Texas 11
1998  RS       Hogs 28 Tennessee 24
2004  DWRRS Hogs 20 Texas 22
2006  DWRRS Hogs 31 Tennessee 14
2010  DWRRS Hogs 20 Alabama 24

Loudest 8 games in my lifetime!  And I trust we will add some in 2014!!
A redhead married a redhead and had redheaded children and all are HOGS!

Hogeration

Quote from: peckerwood#3 on April 10, 2014, 10:31:57 am
Yea, Dmac's 80 yarder against LSU in 06 is another one I would have liked to have seen live.

I was at the game but don't remember how loud it was except for that run. Just remember how crappy the LSU fans were after the game as they walked around WMS chanting BCS. I wanted to kill.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: zebra on April 10, 2014, 02:03:54 pm
99 Tennessee- Stoerner redemption, before the end zone was closed, but crazy loud.

^^^THIS^^^

It was as loud as I have ever heard a stadium get and like the quote mentions that was with an open south end.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

older boar

I have not been to that many games but the 2010 Bama atmosphere was insane. The grassy knool was covered with fans and no one in the stadium spent much time in their seats during the first three quarters. There was a true upset atmosphere present until we lost the lead.

EastexHawg

Quote from: southhog on April 10, 2014, 10:51:11 am
2004 texas game.

I agree.  It's the most electric atmosphere I've ever seen or heard in Razorback Stadium, and I was there for the 2010 Bama game.

On a per person basis, the comeback after most of the crowd had left against Florida in 2003 may be tops.  Matt Jones put up about 200 yards of offense and 3 TDs in about 6-8 minutes to turn 33-7 into 33-28.  If not for the personal foul on Bua on an interception at midfield no one in the stadium had any doubt that Jones was about to complete a miracle comeback.

If the stadium had still been full the sound would have registered on the Richter Scale.

EastexHawg

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 10, 2014, 11:18:50 am
When Jones hit Birmingham in the endzone at the end of the LSU game in '02, that was the single loudest noise at a ball game I have ever heard in my life.

No doubt if we're not limiting the discussion to games played in RRS.

casken

I can't remember the year but there were two games in Little Rock one with Kentucky (I think their qb was Tim Couch) and one with Miss State. Jackie Sherrill was still there I believe. We won both games but they were close. The noise in both games was so loud it was physically painful. Great games both and very very loud.
"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

LZH

Quote from: casken on April 13, 2014, 08:59:51 pm
I can't remember the year but there were two games in Little Rock one with Kentucky (I think their qb was Tim Couch) and one with Miss State. Jackie Sherrill was still there I believe. We won both games but they were close. The noise in both games was so loud it was physically painful. Great games both and very very loud.

That UK game was in '98.  I remember because I was in Branson that week (don't ask).

hoglady

1974 - #5 USC and Arkansas. That was a magical night that really stands out. Seemed like the entire stadium was on their feet from start to finish.

Basketball - 1984 No Carolina with Jordan in Pine Bluff. It was crazy.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogsmo Kramer

2010 bama game for me too.

It was crazy! We never sat down and were jumping up and down most of the time.

I seriously couldn't talk for two days after and it still pisses me off we lost.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: southhog on April 10, 2014, 10:51:11 am
2004 texas game. Matt Jones to Carlos Ousley

It was DeCori Birmingham to Ousley . . . trick play.

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: pigroots on April 10, 2014, 01:17:42 pm
Teddy Barnes south end zone in WMS in about 1975. Sounded like a literal explosion when he came down with that ball. Still get excited all these years later thinking about it

Bull to Barnes

Stoerner to Lucas

#1 Texas fumble on first play of the game 1981

#3 USC loses at WMS on first day of season 1974 - incredible noise that built as the game went along; USC held without an offensive score despite three HOFers on offense; crowd stayed and called the Hogs for 30 minutes after the end.

LZH

I can tell you, for certain, that the two quietest moments I've ever experienced at a Razorback game were both in WMS.  1) when Brett Stafford hit Tony Jones in the end zone on the last play of the 1987 Texas game, and 2) when Miami jogged into the locker room up 35-0 that same year.  Other than a few traveling fans, WMS was dead silent....dead silent.

HogFanatic

For me it was probably 2005 vs Vanderbilt and Jay Cutler. We lost the game, but it was one of those backand forth, down to the last possession games and Razorback Stadium was ROCKIN' during that game.

I remember it getting so loud that I started to get the "wa was", where you literally feel like they entire stadium is moving.

I left pretty pissed off but deeply impressed with the atmosphere.

The Cotton Bowl in Jerry World was bad ass as well.

ETA: That Vanderbilt game was so loud that at several points we had defensive players literally stopping before the snap to soak in the sheer volume our fan base was creating.
Unfortunately it didn't stop Cutler. That dude was one hell of a Collegiate QB.

hoglady

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 14, 2014, 11:27:13 am
I can tell you, for certain, that the two quietest moments I've ever experienced at a Razorback game were both in WMS.  1) when Brett Stafford hit Tony Jones in the end zone on the last play of the 1987 Texas game, and 2) when Miami jogged into the locker room up 35-0 that same year.  Other than a few traveling fans, WMS was dead silent....dead silent.

Yes I was there at both of them and you're right.
I will add I've never seen the fans as mad at a coach as they were at Hatfield after that Texas game.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

LZH

Quote from: hoglady on April 14, 2014, 12:04:45 pm
Yes I was there at both of them and you're right.
I will add I've never seen the fans as mad at a coach as they were at Hatfield after that Texas game.

That's right.  Hatfield's offenses had the innate ability to march up and down the field without scoring points - we only scored 14 that day.  Same thing happened in Fayetteville two years earlier....five FG's beat us.

Inhogswetrust

April 14, 2014, 12:20:56 pm #76 Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 01:03:05 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: LedZepHog on April 14, 2014, 11:27:13 am

Happened right in front of me. I knew then his time as the Hogs coach was probably over in a bad way.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ronsooie

Houston '89 @ WMS.  Andre Ware vs. the THROWING Quinn Grovey.  To this day I have been unable to find ANY video archive of this game!
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result."

HognotinMemphis

Last year, the one game Wilsonhog attended. He farted and I thought there was going to be a tsunami that followed it. It was beyond loud. Need to invent a new word to describe something beyond deafening. Otherwise, game was pretty quiet.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Jborohog09

Quote from: ronsooie on April 14, 2014, 05:53:37 pm
Houston '89 @ WMS.  Andre Ware vs. the THROWING Quinn Grovey.  To this day I have been unable to find ANY video archive of this game!

Here you go!

ronsooie

WOW!  You are THE MAN!  I thought I would have an easier time finding video of a live unicorn!
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result."

Ben Steiger

Texas in '04 with Samuel Matthew Jones and Co. was electric. I attended South Carolina in '07, Alabama in '10, Tennessee and College GameDay in '09, and LSU in '06, and Texas stands out. The atmosphere was just electricity, pure and simple. Haven't ever really felt anything like at a Hogs' game since, although 'Bama in '10 was loud, very loud.

Basketball had to be beating Texas and OU in '09. Was the Bud ever loud. I went with my dad, and he'd rocked in the Barn during the days of the Triplets, and he said it was just as loud that day.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Been10Hog

1987 against Miami during the first quarter! From kickoff until they scored their first touchdown was the loudest I have heard WMS. We were ranked 10th and underrated. We came out fired up, crowd was deafening! We held UM on their first series forcing a punt. We drove the ball well on our first series but had to punt and downed UM on their own 1. They threw a bomb to the 50 on first play from 1 then ran a draw play to cover the remaining 50. Was down hill from there! Until then, though it was rokckin!! They were tough!!

Been10Hog

Quote from: Been10Hog on April 14, 2014, 08:12:33 pm
1987 against Miami during the first quarter! From kickoff until they scored their first touchdown was the loudest I have heard WMS. We were ranked 10th and underrated. We came out fired up, crowd was deafening! We held UM on their first series forcing a punt. We drove the ball well on our first series but had to punt and downed UM on their own 1. They threw a bomb to the 50 on first play from 1 then ran a draw play to cover the remaining 50. Was down hill from there! Until then, though it was rokckin!! They were tough!!
We were 10th and undefeated. Spell check >:(

LZH

Quote from: Been10Hog on April 14, 2014, 08:13:44 pm
We were 10th and undefeated. Spell check >:(

Ha!  Yeah, I think we were definitely overrated as it turned out.   :)

jonesark™

Quote from: Mike Shelton on April 10, 2014, 10:26:12 am
I was at the Ark / Tx game in the bleachers seated in the inzone when Matt Jones was our QB. Single handedly the GREATEST game atmosphere I have ever been to. It was so LOUD I couldn't hear myself think or talk. Sucks we lost though :(

100% agree...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Jborohog09 on April 14, 2014, 06:17:22 pm
Here you go!

My friend Rick Apolskis started at tackle for Hogs that season...and the one before. Good years.

Who is that with Hatfield on the coach's show?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

LZH

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 15, 2014, 07:23:55 am
My friend Rick Apolskis started at tackle for Hogs that season...and the one before. Good years.

Who is that with Hatfield on the coach's show?

Kinda sounds like Mike Nail.

Razorhawg09

South Carolina in 2001 was deafening after the blocked FG. Jones to Birmingham was probably the single loudest moment in Arkansas history. The Dallas Washington pile drive on the kickoff against USC in 2006 was insane. Texas 04. Wingo opening to against Bama in 2010. Other than that just meh.

mevskithog

I was in Baton Rouge in 2007 with a bunch of my friends from high school who were all LSU fans (I went to school in north LA), and our seats were behind the endzone where Richardson picked it off to win in the 3rd OT....I know this thread is about the loudest moment, but I think that was as quiet as I've ever heard a stadium of that size.... It was glorious..

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: mevskithog on April 15, 2014, 08:00:55 am
I was in Baton Rouge in 2007 with a bunch of my friends from high school who were all LSU fans (I went to school in north LA), and our seats were behind the endzone where Richardson picked it off to win in the 3rd OT....I know this thread is about the loudest moment, but I think that was as quiet as I've ever heard a stadium of that size.... It was glorious..

How can you have friends who are LSU fans?   8)  :P

mevskithog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 15, 2014, 08:05:18 am
How can you have friends who are LSU fans?   8)  :P
I guess I should've said "ex" friends.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Mike Shelton on April 10, 2014, 10:26:12 am
I was at the Ark / Tx game in the bleachers seated in the inzone when Matt Jones was our QB. Single handedly the GREATEST game atmosphere I have ever been to. It was so LOUD I couldn't hear myself think or talk.

Again, I agree.  It wasn't just in the stadium, either.  The walk to the stadium, the crowd outside the stadium...there was a palpable charge in the air.  It's the most excited, exciting, electrifying game day experience I can remember in RRS.

The funny thing is we weren't really a very good team that year.  On offense we had one returning starter from the year before...Matt Jones...and ten newbies.  That Texas team was loaded, one of the most talented rosters they've ever had.  Vince Young.  Cedric Benson.  Derrick Johnson.  Michael Huff.  Aaron Ross.  Michael Griffin.  Bo Scaife.  Nathan Vasher.  Rodrique Wright.

On paper we didn't stand a chance.  They had All-Americans and future Pro Bowlers up and down the roster.  But, as Chris Mortensen later wrote, we had the best player on the field that night.  That was almost enough, but not quite.

It's still the best pre-game and in-game atmosphere I've seen in Fayetteville.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 15, 2014, 09:31:33 am
Again, I agree.  It wasn't just in the stadium, either.  The walk to the stadium, the crowd outside the stadium...there was a palpable charge in the air.  It's the most excited, exciting, electrifying game day experience I can remember in RRS.

The funny thing is we weren't really a very good team that year.  On offense we had one returning starter from the year before...Matt Jones...and ten newbies.  That Texas team was loaded, one of the most talented rosters they've ever had.  Vince Young.  Cedric Benson.  Derrick Johnson.  Michael Huff.  Aaron Ross.  Michael Griffin.  Bo Scaife.  Nathan Vasher.  Rodrique Wright.

On paper we didn't stand a chance.  They had All-Americans and future Pro Bowlers up and down the roster.  But, as Chris Mortensen later wrote, we had the best player on the field that night.  That was almost enough, but not quite.

This makes a point.  This board is constantly littered with posters who suggest that tradition doesn't matter.  We're talking about a game with a team that wasn't even in our conference.  If tradition doesn't matter, then how can anyone explain an atmosphere like that? 

"Oh, those blue hairs and blue bloods don't add anything, and they should stay home."  If they don't add anything, then where does the interest in that game come from?  Answer:  DECADES of disdain that has been passed along from parents to their kids, and that inherent feeling that we're supposed to dislike Texas and want to beat them every chance we get, in ANY sport, and to do it with impunity if given the opportunity.     

bphi11ips

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 15, 2014, 09:31:33 am

In Fayetteville this was it.  Off the charts.  I think this was the game when the largest screen in football made it's debut, also. 

The craziest crowds I've seen from start to finish were Texas in 1981, USC in 1974, Texas A&M in 1975, and LSU in 2006. 

The loudest roar?  Probably DMac down the east sideline on his way to score against LSU in 2006, but I wasn't there for the Miracle on Markham.  May have been able to hear that in Conway. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: peckerwood#3 on April 10, 2014, 10:16:57 am
So I was just watching our highlights from the 2010 Bama game, and I still get chills after seeing the Mallett to Wingo TD on the 2nd play of the game. I can remember watching it on tv and being blown away by how loud our crowd was.
^^^^^^^^^^^
This. No question it was the loudest I've ever heard a crowd at RRS. I was standing behind the south endzone. The noise was suffocating. The ground was shaking.

There is a frustration level with regard to Saban and Alabama. Hog fans know that the key to gaining respect around the SEC starts with beating those guys. It didn't happen that day but at that moment all those fans believed it could happen.

dynastyhog

Quote from: mhsbc59 on April 10, 2014, 12:34:28 pm
WMS vs. Kentucky 1998 loudest start to finish ever i have been to all the other loud ones talked about in here as well

Mike Leach said this was the loudest game atmosphere he had been apart of. 
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

mhsbc59

Quote from: dynastyhog on April 15, 2014, 10:12:40 am
Mike Leach said this was the loudest game atmosphere he had been apart of. 

yes start to finish ear splitting
I have changed my sig line of over 4 years that was never a problem until May 5 ,2011

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 15, 2014, 10:06:35 am
^^^^^^^^^^^
This. No question it was the loudest I've ever heard a crowd at RRS. I was standing behind the south endzone. The noise was suffocating. The ground was shaking.

There is a frustration level with regard to Saban and Alabama. Hog fans know that the key to gaining respect around the SEC starts with beating those guys. It didn't happen that day but at that moment all those fans believed it could happen.

It was unreal man!!!!

I want that feeling back, and I'm optimistic coach B can be the guy to get us there.

Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!