Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dusty to transfer to Arkansas

Started by 870hogfan, April 09, 2014, 07:53:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny J

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 09, 2014, 10:27:45 pm
I think we already have the "stars" that we need: Madden and Portis. Those are guys you can build a team around. Need more rebounders, ballhandlers, and shooters. This next class is meeting these needs.
Need better guards which is basically what we have coming in next year. They will however need a couple years, like Madden, to kind of develop that game. I think next year people are going to be surprised but honestly I am looking forward with a lot of anticipation to the 2015-2016 season when all the guys we are bringing in this year have a year in the system and Qualls and Bell are seniors and Portis and Kingsley are juniors. We will finally have a legit solid upperclassmen starting lineup that has at least 2 full seasons to prepare and develop chemistry before the 2015-2016 season. Add to that the freshman who will be sophomores and coming into their own and the possibility of getting a guy like Allen and Whitt as freshman and we can be a really really good team.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Breems on April 09, 2014, 10:07:40 pm
I agree with rude1 for the most part. But, let's approach this from the long-term perspective.

We had pretty much met our current needs in the 2014 class already (on paper). We can afford a few of the Dusty Hannahs types every few years, especially those who want to be Hogs. It's not like he's awful. One could already make an argument that he'll be a net gain in comparison to most of the guards we lost this year.

There's more to a story like this than meets the eye. Since Mike Anderson hit town, Fred Gulley, Alandise Harris, and now Dusty Hannahs have transferred back in after leaving the state. Has anyone considered what that conveys about our program? In-state players are wanting to take part in the restoration of Arkansas basketball, and that's a key component, even if they aren't all Bobby Portis caliber. I want guys like Malik Monk to notice that players who left the state are changing their minds. There are a long line of talented in-state players on the horizon that need to see cohesion within the state and program. We need that one heartbeat.
+1 drops the mic.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 09, 2014, 10:25:58 pm
So the 2014 SEC MVP is not good enough for us, we need better players?

Danny J

Quote from: nextlevel on April 09, 2014, 10:28:18 pm
He has had success in the tourney, but he has also had a squad who on paper should continue the success in the tourney, but ended up losing to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.

Cal is changing his recruiting strategy, he is starting to sign 4 year role players to help bring continuity to the roster to aid the one and dones on the court, or he was if he doesn't go to coach the Lakers I guess.
Remember they lost that entire team from the previous year plus Noel's injury really hurt them. I think WCS and Poythress staying another year was really good for them and likely wouldn't have made it where they did without them even though WCS was hurt late in the NCAAt. I think if Cal gets a couple guys from this years team to stay then they have a shot to do the same thing again. You do need a bit of talented experiene to win it all. I think if they had WCS they would have had a better shot to beat Uconn. He was a big time rim protector and Uconn had a ton of easy layups where the basckside rotation fell asleep or just too slow.

Beaverfever

Quote from: nextlevel on April 09, 2014, 10:28:18 pm
He has had success in the tourney, but he has also had a squad who on paper should continue the success in the tourney, but ended up losing to Robert Morris in the first round of the NIT.

Cal is changing his recruiting strategy, he is starting to sign 4 year role players to help bring continuity to the roster to aid the one and dones on the court, or he was if he doesn't go to coach the Lakers I guess.
Yeah I noticed this the other day when I looked at their recruiting.  It looks like he is intentionally recruiting "worse" classes.  I think last year and even a lot of this year wore him down.  Every year is a circus.  Cal is a circus master if there ever was one but still...it's gotta get old. 

nextlevel

Quote from: Beaverfever on April 09, 2014, 10:40:08 pm
Yeah I noticed this the other day when I looked at their recruiting.  It looks like he is intentionally recruiting "worse" classes.  I think last year and even a lot of this year wore him down.  Every year is a circus.  Cal is a circus master if there ever was one but still...it's gotta get old. 

He still is going after the one and dones, but he wants a couple guards who will be there 3-4 years to "run things" on the court.

His current problem has also been to be genuine in not forcing guys out, he had to have open scholarships, sure that may mean taking one back from what would be a walk on, but he also had to keep 3 or so open every year in case guys needed to come back.

I also think last season's guards about broke him as a coach and this year's really didn't do much to want him to continue his recruiting strategy of a new team every year (basically).

Yes, his "role" players or 3-4 year guys are still going to be be good enough to be "the man" on several other SEC teams.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

nextlevel

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 09, 2014, 10:37:27 pm
Remember they lost that entire team from the previous year plus Noel's injury really hurt them. I think WCS and Poythress staying another year was really good for them and likely wouldn't have made it where they did without them even though WCS was hurt late in the NCAAt. I think if Cal gets a couple guys from this years team to stay then they have a shot to do the same thing again. You do need a bit of talented experiene to win it all. I think if they had WCS they would have had a better shot to beat Uconn. He was a big time rim protector and Uconn had a ton of easy layups where the basckside rotation fell asleep or just too slow.

Read earlier WCS is projected in the top 15 and he is expected to declare.

Randle was saying he hasn't made up his mind, but it would be dumb for him to come back, he isn't going to improve his draft position any if at all, would be a year further away from that second contract, and would be risking injury.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Hogimus Prime

Glad to see DH is going to be a Hog.

Danny J

Quote from: nextlevel on April 09, 2014, 10:50:32 pm
Read earlier WCS is projected in the top 15 and he is expected to declare.

Randle was saying he hasn't made up his mind, but it would be dumb for him to come back, he isn't going to improve his draft position any if at all, would be a year further away from that second contract, and would be risking injury.
Yeah...I expect most of those guys, including WCS and Randle, to declare. It wouldn't surprise me to see either of the Harrisons come back but Young is definitely gone. So I would guess he will have Poythress back and Lee and Hawkins but that really is about it. So he will likely be no better than he was this year and I am not sure if that is saying a lot or if it isn't. Just hard to tell with incoming freshman and how their mental mindset translates.

nextlevel

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 09, 2014, 11:02:18 pm
Yeah...I expect most of those guys, including WCS and Randle, to declare. It wouldn't surprise me to see either of the Harrisons come back but Young is definitely gone. So I would guess he will have Poythress back and Lee and Hawkins but that really is about it. So he will likely be no better than he was this year and I am not sure if that is saying a lot or if it isn't. Just hard to tell with incoming freshman and how their mental mindset translates.

Yeah, the not knowing every year would drive me crazy as a fan, personally, all you would have to go by is the hype of the players coming in.

Lee was a planned multiple year player, as well as Hawkins. IMO both twins would be best served coming back as well, but if they can get payed a large sum of money to develop on a NBA roster...

ell oh ell

Beaverfever

Quote from: nextlevel on April 09, 2014, 10:48:30 pm
I also think last season's guards about broke him as a coach and this year's really didn't do much to want him to continue his recruiting strategy of a new team every year (basically).
Yeah I think this was it.  There just aren't that many guards that are gonna come in and immediately be the best guards in the country.  Most of them really don't justify letting them use your program for one year and then being put in the position to start over.  Winning championships without great upperclassmen guards is a tough task.  You'll run into guys like Russ Smith, Shabazz Napier, and Scottie Wilbekin who are going to get the best of an 18 year old almost every time. 

-Blu

Quote from: rude1 on April 09, 2014, 09:59:57 pm
Wilbekin was not nearly the player you think he was.

Hmmm, I thought he was the SEC Player of the year, as well as the defensive player of the year.  I also thought he was the best player on a final four team.  I'm sorry dude but the more you talk the more credibility you lose.

This staff has done a good job of getting pieces in to compliment what we need.  I've even seen guys that usually complain about our recruiting satisfied with what we are bringing in. 

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: -Blu on April 09, 2014, 11:40:35 pm
Hmmm, I thought he was the SEC Player of the year, as well as the defensive player of the year.  I also thought he was the best player on a final four team.  I'm sorry dude but the more you talk the more credibility you lose.

This staff has done a good job of getting pieces in to compliment what we need.  I've even seen guys that usually complain about our recruiting satisfied with what we are bringing in.
Everything you said was spot on, except Patric Young won Defensive Player of the Year.

urkillnmesmalls

So am I the only one who thinks of Dusty Rhodes every time they see his name? 

Prior to an upcoming match with Ric Flair...."The other night I was at a bar.  There was drinkin'...smokin'....cussin'....fightin'.....and finally, they threw your momma outta there!"   :D 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

forrest city joe

Very good news. he can do the one thing we need bad. and that's shoot the basketball.. we need shooter in this program. hope Mike will go out and find another walk-on shooter to go with him. i like it. GO HOGS.

RazorAg

- Dusty is a role player, albeit with potential to explode due to his ability to shoot the ball
- He will see far more open shots in our system
- He is as good or a better athlete than Bell. I saw both as recruits and have watched Dusty play 10+ times at Tech
- He is a better ballhandler and passer than Bell, which doesn't mean much.
- Dusty is a more disciplined player than Bell; better decision maker
- Like Bell, Dusty has a quick release and nice elevation on his jumper
- Like Bell, Dusty knocks down mid-range shots, but is more skilled on the drive; he has a nice floater
- Dusty initiates contact and gets to the line better than Bell; deadly at the line
- Defensively, it's a push, as both are average defenders

I'm not overly ecstatic about the transfer, but he will add a very important piece to this system, and he is battle-tested at the high major level.

Breems

Who will he first announcer to reference the "dusty trail" after a Hannahs fastbreak? I would have said Jimmy Dykes, but I'm not sure now. Eddies?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Breems

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 09, 2014, 10:18:06 pm
Wow.....what a great point. I didn't know you were that intelligent. Now that I know I will be reading many more of your posts than I have in the past.  ;)

I'm trying to determine if there is sarcasm at play here.

root_hawg

It is a decent move; would have liked to seen them go after a more talented player.  He is a role player and a decent shooter but Mike should be able to get those type of kids pretty easily.  Could have saved the scholie as well.

Breems

Does this eliminate any room for Shane Henry? That will make the move a bit harder to swallow.

The Hogfather

There's more to a story like this than meets the eye. Since Mike Anderson hit town, Fred Gulley, Alandise Harris, and now Dusty Hannahs have transferred back in after leaving the state. Has anyone considered what that conveys about our program? In-state players are wanting to take part in the restoration of Arkansas basketball, and that's a key component, even if they aren't all Bobby Portis caliber. I want guys like Malik Monk to notice that players who left the state are changing their minds. There are a long line of talented in-state players on the horizon that need to see cohesion within the state and program. We need that one heartbeat.

I do agree with this somewhat.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Breems on April 10, 2014, 08:12:05 am
Does this eliminate any room for Shane Henry? That will make the move a bit harder to swallow.

I'm sure it does.  I'm sure Dusty will tie up a scholarship, even though he will be sitting out this year.

nextlevel

Quote from: Breems on April 10, 2014, 08:12:05 am

The staff never went to watch Henry play, I wouldn't say he was being "heavily recruited" by Arkansas, but yes, there would be no room for an additional scholarship player unless another player transferred now.

ell oh ell

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Breems on April 10, 2014, 07:58:06 am
Who will he first announcer to reference the "dusty trail" after a Hannahs fastbreak? I would have said Jimmy Dykes, but I'm not sure now. Eddies?

I think based on some of the comments here, some people would question if he is capable of a FAST break.  Maybe medium speed break?   ;)

It is hard to understand the move to give out a scholarship while rebuilding, when he will have to sit out a year, but it's also reasonable to assume that MA knows what he's doing, and that with a year to develop and learn the system, he can contribute.  As it has been pointed out many times, scholarships are renewable every season.  If he's not effective in the system....well....
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MatCauthon

Quote from: -Blu on April 09, 2014, 11:40:35 pm

Wilbekin wasn't the best player on that team. He may have been the leader, but skill wise definitely not the best.

CDBHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 10, 2014, 08:18:11 am
I think based on some of the comments here, some people would question if he is capable of a FAST break.  Maybe medium speed break?   ;)

It is hard to understand the move to give out a scholarship while rebuilding, when he will have to sit out a year, but it's also reasonable to assume that MA knows what he's doing, and that with a year to develop and learn the system, he can contribute.  As it has been pointed out many times, scholarships are renewable every season.  If he's not effective in the system....well....

2012 - Alandise Harris
2013 - Keaton Miles

CDBHawg

Player A and Player B both transferred to Arkansas from the same major D1 conference.

Player A - 2 yrs experience, 12.3mpg, 2.0ppg, 1.8rpg, 1apg, .5bpg, .5spg

Player B - 2 yrs experience, 22.2mpg, 7.3ppg, 1.3rpg, .9apg, 0bpg, .5spg

Pork Twain

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 09, 2014, 10:18:06 pm
Wow.....what a great point. I didn't know you were that intelligent. Now that I know I will be reading many more of your posts than I have in the past.  ;)
Now you are getting carried away...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pork Twain

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 10, 2014, 08:18:11 am
It is hard to understand the move to give out a scholarship while rebuilding, when he will have to sit out a year, but it's also reasonable to assume that MA knows what he's doing, and that with a year to develop and learn the system, he can contribute. 

The more I think about this, the less hard it is to accept.  We already have Babb, Durham, Thompson, Beard and Miles as additions for the roster next year.  It is much like we are redshirting him a year to let him adjust to our system and SEC practice.  Next year will be like he is a new recruit with the exception that he has practiced against our guys for a year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawg Red

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 10, 2014, 09:05:17 am
The more I think about this, the less hard it is to accept.  We already have Babb, Durham, Thompson, Beard and Miles as additions for the roster next year.  It is much like we are redshirting him a year to let him adjust to our system and SEC practice.  Next year will be like he is a new recruit with the exception that he has practiced against our guys for a year.

And played two years in a tougher conference (or at least an equal conference).

GlassofSwine

I don't get the negativity, adding a guy who can average 7-8 points off the bench. He's proven that against good competition. The fact is you have to have those guys. Almost every great team is comprised of solid role players around a nucleus of a couple stars.

Hawg Red

I can't wait to add Kahron Ross in two years.

Hawg Red

azhog10

Quote from: BeoPig™ on April 10, 2014, 09:05:17 am
It also gives us three guys that will be juniors next year. Obviously that's assuming Portis doesn't leave to go pro.

The real Hogules

Quote from: GlassofSwine on April 10, 2014, 09:10:50 am
I don't get the negativity, adding a guy who can average 7-8 points off the bench. He's proven that against good competition. The fact is you have to have those guys. Almost every great team is comprised of solid role players around a nucleus of a couple stars.

Just playing devil's adocate, but it doesn't do much good to average 6-7 ppg, if you allow your defensive responsibility to score 8-10.

I'll be the first to openly admit that I haven't seen him play EVER, but IMHO, we need lock down defenders every bit as badly as we need scorers.

OTOH I said that I'd welcome Dusty with open arms, so welcome Dusty!
I hope your time at the UofA is fun for BOTH of us!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

MatCauthon

Quote from: The real Hogules on April 10, 2014, 09:51:44 am
Just playing devil's adocate, but it doesn't do much good to average 6-7 ppg, if you allow your defensive responsibility to score 8-10.

I'll be the first to openly admit that I haven't seen him play EVER, but IMHO, we need lock down defenders every bit as badly as we need scorers.

It's beyond ridiculous to expect every single player on a team to be a lockdown defender. If every player is just a lockdown defender then how are we gonna score. You need shooters. Especially 3pt shooter in this system since you get a lot of open looks. He's at least going to be better then Haydar who was a defensive liability most of the time and needed 20 ft of open space to get a good shot off.

nextlevel

Quote from: MatCauthon on April 10, 2014, 10:22:38 am
It's beyond ridiculous to expect every single player on a team to be a lockdown defender. If every player is just a lockdown defender then how are we gonna score. You need shooters. Especially 3pt shooter in this system since you get a lot of open looks. He's at least going to be better then Haydar who was a defensive liability most of the time and needed 20 ft of open space to get a good shot off.

Haydar was a walk-on.

When you have to use walk-ons to justify anyone being on scholarship, it is going to be an extremely difficult argument for you to make...

ell oh ell

The Hogfather

Quote from: nextlevel on April 10, 2014, 10:25:02 am
Haydar was a walk-on.

When you have to use walk-ons to justify anyone being on scholarship, it is going to be an extremely difficult argument for you to make...

Exactly.  To me, Hannahs is a taller Haydar, except he's now on scholarship.  I think Haydar could've easily averaged 7.7 points per game had he played 22+ minutes a game.

MatCauthon

Quote from: nextlevel on April 10, 2014, 10:25:02 am
Haydar was a walk-on.

Not really. Middle of the season Haydar was our 6th man. First off the bench and getting large amounts of minutes. The main thing though, is that I trust the judgment of the coaching staff more then anyone on a message board.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 10, 2014, 10:35:58 am
Exactly.  To me, Hannahs is a taller Haydar, except he's now on scholarship.  I think Haydar could've easily averaged 7.7 points per game had he played 22+ minutes a game.

Hannahs > Haydar > Wagner. Win Win.

Wagner leaves in good standing. Haydar Graduates. Enter Hannahs, a taller Haydar who can get a better look from outside just because he is much taller and just as good a shooter. Plus, he gets a year to adapt to the system. He will be ready to really contribute as a senior when MA's first class is gone. We will add some more talent at the guard spots in the 2015 and 2016 classes. Hannahs playing with those guys will be great. The young pups will need a senior deadeye shooter. Hannahs can be that guy.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: nextlevel on April 09, 2014, 08:56:02 pm
As have I.

Hannahs doesn't have near the speed, athleticism, or defensive ability of Bell.

I hope he doesn't have Bell's defensive ability. That would be unfortunate.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

Has anyone considered what that conveys about our program? In-state players are wanting to take part in the restoration of Arkansas basketball,

Yet those players you mentioned all signed out of state and came back home when things did not pan out where they went. Why didn't they want to participate in the restoration of razorback basketball from the start?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2014, 11:02:26 am
Yet those players you mentioned all signed out of state and came back home when things did not pan out where they went. Why didn't they want to participate in the restoration of razorback basketball from the start?

because they weren't asked?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: The real Hogules on April 10, 2014, 09:51:44 am

This type of logic doesn't make a lot of sense either. You play people to their strengths. I seriously doubt Mike Anderson is going to put him to guard their primary offensive weapons. Second, it is really presumptuous to assume that anyone the guy guards is going to have a career day scoring.

Every championship team has more role players than stars. We need shooters, and badly. Look at the Cal game in the NIT. You need a guy that can come off the bench and make a few shots. 7-8 bench points a game is a proven stat line in a good conference. We can almost guarantee that trend will continue, If he gives 15 minutes a game and scores 7-8 points he will be extremely valuable.

azhog10

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 10, 2014, 10:35:58 am
Yes but the scholarship player he is replacing, Wagner, did not get anything close to those minutes. So you are really replacing a guy who never saw time as a scholarship player with a player that will see time and hopefully contribute about 8 or so more points a game than the guy who just transfered out.

hogsanity

would people be this excited if he was not an in state kid?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2014, 11:21:42 am
I think we all understand that the only reason he and Arkansas ever talked was because he was from Arkansas. Had he not been, I highly doubt he would have looked at us, and we probably wouldn't have looked at him. CMA recruited him out of high school but was unsure on his ability to play at the high major level. After two years Dusty has shown a consistent ability to shoot well, not great, but well from 3 and has averaged around 7-8 points in the Big 12. That kind of production is what you look for out of JUCO players who average in the high teens. Dusty did what he did on a level that can easily translate over to the SEC unlike the risk factor you take iwth JUCO players.

root_hawg

Don't be surprised if there are more leaving.....

nextlevel

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 10, 2014, 10:57:51 am
I hope he doesn't have Bell's defensive ability. That would be unfortunate.

He will have to work on his defense to get to Bell's level of play.

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2014, 11:16:02 am
Yes but the scholarship player he is replacing, Wagner, did not get anything close to those minutes. So you are really replacing a guy who never saw time as a scholarship player with a player that will see time and hopefully contribute about 8 or so more points a game than the guy who just transfered out.

He isn't going to get that amount of minutes here, just as he wasn't going to get that amount of minutes at TTU next year.

Tubby brought in one guy similar to him, Hannahs saw decrease in minutes, this class Tubb's is bringing in two more guys like him.

It wasn't his slightly above average shooting from behind the arch that led to a decreased role and minutes on Tubb's team it was all because of his play on the defensive end.

ell oh ell

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on April 10, 2014, 11:21:42 am

People are looking forward to Keaton Miles' contribution next season.