Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

E.K Franks named Director of Recruiting

Started by Fayettechill14, April 09, 2014, 05:12:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

E. K. Franks has been hired as DR, Hauser's old spot.

Bielema plucked Franks from FCS Southeastern Louisiana, where he was AHC/RB coach. Has extensive recruiting experience in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. Has experience as a coach and recruiting coordinator.

Also, because it must be said, it can't hurt to have a black man assisting in the recruiting of modern college football athletes.

LINK: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=209458678

870hogfan

Scott Marshall

E.K. Franks has been named Arkansas' Director of Recruiting, head coach Bret Bielema announced Wednesday.

Franks comes to Fayetteville with 10 years of collegiate experience, most recently serving as associate head coach and running backs coach at Southeastern Louisiana. Franks has coached or trained multiple professional athletes, including Wes Welker, Terence Newman and Darren Sproles, and also has extensive recruiting ties to Texas, Florida, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kansas and Mississippi. He worked with Coach Bielema during stints at Wisconsin and Kansas State.

"I have known E.K. Franks for more than a decade and can't wait to see the positive effect he will bring to our Razorback family," Coach Bielema said. "He will lead our recruiting department on a variety of different levels to help bring Arkansas football to the highest level of success."

Franks brings a keen eye for talent and a diverse background to the Razorbacks. He has experience as an assistant coach, strength coach, academic counselor and director of minority relations. In addition, he is active in youth programs and community service outreach, serving on the board of the Kansas-based non-profit S.A.F.E., Success Achieved in Future Environments, which helps mentor youth through athletics.

At Southeastern Louisiana, he tutored Xavier Roberson to multiple All-America honors as a sophomore running back and kick returner. In 2012, Roberson and Rasheed Harrell teamed to make up one of the top freshmen running back duos in the country under Franks' leadership. Before Southeastern Louisiana, Franks spent two seasons as defensive line coach and head strength coach at Delta State. There, he coached a pair of first-team All-Gulf South Conference selections in 2011.

Franks was a defensive graduate assistant at Wisconsin for two seasons while Coach Bielema was the Badgers' defensive coordinator. Prior to Wisconsin, Franks coached the defensive line at Texas State for the 2003 season and was an academic counselor and director of minority relations at Kansas State from 2001-2003.

His first collegiate coaching experience came at Kansas State, where he was a strength and conditioning coach for the football team during the 2000 season and 2001 offseason. His first coaching position was at Heritage High School in Oklahoma City, where he tutored defensive backs and was a strength coach for the school from 1996-2000.

The Wellington, Kan., native earned his bachelor's degree from Central Oklahoma in 2000 and a master's degree in adult education from Kansas State in 2002. Prior to completing his degree at Central Oklahoma, Franks was a wrestler at Oklahoma and a defensive back at Missouri State.

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Deep Shoat

Isn't it amusing that Bielema was a total idiot because he didn't have someone hired before signing day, yet there is absolutely no interest in this thread now that a hire has been made?
All Gas, No Brakes!

PonderinHog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 09, 2014, 05:27:21 pm
Isn't it amusing that Bielema was a total idiot because he didn't have someone hired before signing day, yet there is absolutely no interest in this thread now that a hire has been made?
This thread was started about 20 minutes ago, man.  His biography looks pretty good.

old hog

Looks like a good addition to the coaching staff. Welcome to the family.

HogFanatic

HOGINTENNESSEE

Dark Helmet Hog

Dwight_K_Shrute

You do realize Chris Hauser who Franks replaces did not leave until after NSD. The hire people were worried about before NSD was the DC. But don't let facts get in the way of being an ***
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

cmiller01

sowmonella

Glad to have E.K. on staff! :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

JIHawg

Why post this in a positive thread about a new staff member?

hoglady

Actually, he looks like the perfect hire.
Has recruiting ties in all the states we're looking to have a footprint.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

goodguytex

He's very qualified for the position. I hope we pay him well and keep him for awhile if he does his job well.

Hawgzinbowlz

Excellent addition to the staff. He has the recruiting ties to The states we need.
When an assistant opening occurs he has enough experience to possibly be a fit.
Another good CBB hire.
We need a bowl season to get this train rolling.

" GO HOGS "

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

stacking

GOOD HIRE!

It seems BB is really aiming for guys he can keep around. I love it! Great that they have previous ties too. We are building something. All aboard! WPS

On paper, it looks like a very good hire.  Time will tell. 

BPsTheMan

I don't think Deep Shoat was trashing Bielema - I think he was defending him against irrational posters on here

rusvegashog

He's wore a lot of hats in his time as a coach. Different positions and what not.  I'm fairly ignorant on this subject so I'm not sure what that means or if it means anything for that matter. I'm sure CBB has made a solid hire. Excited to have new blood.

redeye

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 09, 2014, 05:12:59 pm

Bielema plucked Franks from FCS Southeastern Louisiana, where he was AHC/RB coach. Has extensive recruiting experience in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Oklahoma. Has experience as a coach and recruiting coordinator.

Also, because it must be said, it can't hurt to have a black man assisting in the recruiting of modern college football athletes.

LINK: http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=209458678

Yea, that's why I wanted us to hire Urkel.

grayhawg

Quote from: redeye on April 09, 2014, 08:42:48 pm
Yea, that's why I wanted us to hire Urkel.
Urkle has a higher paying gig right now.

[attachment deleted by admin]

redeye

Quote from: grayhawg on April 09, 2014, 08:48:12 pm
Urkle has a higher paying gig right now.

Well, shucks!

How about a brown woman with big boobs then?

hoghearted

Quote from: BPsTheMan on April 09, 2014, 08:03:51 pm
I don't think Deep Shoat was trashing Bielema - I think he was defending him against irrational posters on here

Except there was nothing to defend against. Have yet to see anyone say anything negative about this hire.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Biggus Piggus

"Director of recruiting" is an increasingly important job, as high-major football programs now manage recruiting as a business -- with strategic plans, big budgets, analytics and KPIs.

Many schools use the recruiting coordinator title on the staff's best recruiter, as a way to augment his income and advance his career (for retention purposes). Example: Rodney Garner, a DL position coach but also recruiting coordinator at Georgia and Auburn. Garner has been a recruiting coordinator in the SEC since 1998.

Frank Wilson, RB coach, is recruiting coordinator at LSU. Wilson had only five years' experience as a college coach when Les Miles named him recruiting coordinator. Must have been a good choice. Wilson was Rivals' national recruiter of the year after his first recruiting class for LSU. His main strength was strong in-state connections.

Alabama has a massive support staff. Nick Saban is essentially the recruiting CEO. He has an associate director of player personnel, Tyler Siskey, who manages the Bama recruiting process. Siskey was in charge of "recruiting development" at Ole Miss, following Hugh Freeze from Arkansas State. Must be good, because then Saban wanted him. The Tide also has an eye-candy "recruiting operations coordinator," who administers the on-campus recruiting schedule.

[CENSORED]!

RazorPiggie

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on April 09, 2014, 05:12:59 pm

Good Hire.  He is a well rounded Coach and Recruiter.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

three hog night

He has the connections in all the areas we need.  Great addition it appears.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

goodguytex

These last two coaching hires tells me loud and clear coach Bielema is making the recruiting of Texas and Louisiana a high priority, and it's a very wise decision on his part. If we can heavily tap into the talent there, and land a good percentage of the talent programs like the Aggies, OU and Texas and LSU have been getting over the last several years, it will help get our talent level and depth where it needs to be, especially on defense.

linkshog

It also shows that he is highering coaches who are hungry and want to be part of building a successful winning program.  Some coaches have success and settle into a coast mode.  Bringing good solid coaches up from lower ranks usually means those guys are hungry and want to win at the biggest level.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.

- Ronald Reagan -

Republicans believe every day is the Fourth of July, but the democrats believe every day is April 15.

- Ronald Reagan -

Inhogswetrust

Welcome aboard Mr. Franks and good luck!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogpkins

Sounds like a good hire! Welcome aboard!

And thanks for deleting the dummy's post -- delete the quotes too.  Nothing but offensive and ignorant.

SPAL

Who?

Never heard of the guy. Must be a terrible hire. Fire Jeff long!!!

Surely we coulda went after ed orgeron or jimmy Johnson .

GrantTolley

I guess we have to trust Bielema's judgement on this one.. I have never heard of the guy. Coming from SE Louisiana is not particularly impressive..
What exactly does the recruiting director do any way? I am assuming this would be a lot of organizing and administrative stuff...

ricepig

Quote from: GrantTolley on April 10, 2014, 03:51:27 pm
I guess we have to trust Bielema's judgement on this one.. I have never heard of the guy. Coming from SE Louisiana is not particularly impressive..
What exactly does the recruiting director do any way? I am assuming this would be a lot of organizing and administrative stuff...

Important enough that we just "stole" this guy to be his assistant.

http://m.arkansasrazorbacks.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=209460094&

GrantTolley

Yeah, getting someone from Bama is more impressive...

but wait, he graduated from Bama, too.. Saban could have sent him up here to be a spy!!

ricepig

Quote from: GrantTolley on April 10, 2014, 04:04:34 pm

but wait, he graduated from Bama, too.. Sabsn could have sent him up here to be a spy!!

I figure he's a plant, they're scared we will score this year.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GrantTolley on April 10, 2014, 04:04:34 pm

but wait, he graduated from Bama, too.. Saban could have sent him up here to be a spy!!

Funny post.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

IBleedRazorbackRed

Any volleyball players get interviewed this go round?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GrantTolley on April 10, 2014, 03:51:27 pm

https://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1630457

I think you will see why we hired this guy.

Chic-Hog-Oh

Quote from: linkshog on April 10, 2014, 10:19:11 am
It also shows that he is highering coaches who are hungry and want to be part of building a successful winning program.
Given how CBB appears to be upgrading his staff, this is a fantastic play on words.

Hogpkins

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on April 11, 2014, 11:00:16 pm
https://arkansas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1630457

I think you will see why we hired this guy.

Nice, I agree. By the way, he mentioned how his recruiting coordinator position was added by the NCAA.  When was the position added? I remember Nutt always had one of his on-field coaches carry the title of recruiting coordinator, and it seems like Horton served that position for Petrino. Did they basically move that position from an on-field dual role to an off-field exclusive role?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: Shoatysmalls on April 12, 2014, 12:50:33 pm
Nice, I agree. By the way, he mentioned how his recruiting coordinator position was added by the NCAA.  When was the position added? I remember Nutt always had one of his on-field coaches carry the title of recruiting coordinator, and it seems like Horton served that position for Petrino. Did they basically move that position from an on-field dual role to an off-field exclusive role?

It's the Jessica dorrell position

ricepig

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 12, 2014, 03:00:57 pm
It's the Jessica dorrell position

I don't think we'll see E.K. in those positions.

deshahawg

EastArkHog 47

Took so long to hire him because all the other D1 schools that needed a DR were after him. It took a lot of effort to bring this big hire on board, man are we lucky to get this guy.

PygmalionEffect

After seeing the Chris Hauser hire and now the E.K. Franks hire for this position of Director of Recruiting...

looking back it makes the hiring of Jessica Durrell even more odd now doesn't it?

I think most fans at the time were still getting familiar with what that position was and how it could be important to the success of the football program.....

but I really wouldn't expect the Athletic Director to be as ignorant of the importance of the position as the casual fan..... even way back in 2012.

So either Jeff Long was very ignorant of the importance of that position to the success of the football program in order to rubber stamp Petrino's idea to hire an ex women's volleyball player....... or he knew that was CBP's girlfriend.

There's no other plausible explanation.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.