Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calm down on here

Started by Lanny, April 09, 2014, 02:40:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2014, 10:16:12 am
The majority of the fan base is okay with 2-14 in the SEC the last two years and doesn't believe anyone should be held accountable for that record?

We had an ANNOUNCED crowd of 45,000 for an SEC game in Little Rock.  Apparently our fan base isn't as large, satisfied, and solidly behind what has been going on on the hill as you might think.

Wow we played 14 conference games last year? Reasonable fans are not holding CBB accountable for 2012. Heck it is 2012 the reason many of us give him a ride for 2013.

Attendance - could that have been the result of the economy and ticket prices? Or a display of discontent for the stadium or losing some of the games to campus?

Only a handful of people are calling for CBB this early or even next year. Keep fooling yourself if that makes you feel better.

What I believe, I could be wrong, is that most fans are looking for improvement. If CBB shows improvement he survives. If he doesn't then his job will end in year 3 or 4.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

bphi11ips

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 14, 2014, 09:33:14 am
I did too.

Before Hogville, I was naïve enough to believe the Razorbacks bound the state together for a single purpose.  I thought our scholar athletes played for the love of the game and to further their education.  I thought we were a fan base who valued sportsmanship. 

I shared Orville Henry's opinion of the Houston Nutt hire.  Then I supported the team as always.  The losing seasons didn't bother me.  I didn't see us as "mediocre".  Even though I didn't think Nutt was a great game manager, I thought he was a decent coach.  I wasn't a "darksider". 

When we signed the star-studded class of 2006 to go with D-Mac, Felix Jones and Peyton Hillis, I laid awake thinking of beating Texas in 2009 (the game was later moved to a date uncertain and the Longhorns still owe us a game in Fayetteville).  I told my friends in Tennessee that they were finally going to see the Arkansas team I grew up with.  Then we won 10 in a row, but ironically, that's when the wheels came off.  Those of us who naively thought that college football coaches do their best to act in the best interest of their team and players were in for a rude awakening.  You can't make up the kind of stuff we saw. 

2007 was an awful year.  I'd rather go through 10 more 2013's than one more 2007.  Most of us were proud the day that White did the right thing and fired Nutt.  Maybe there was some principle in Fayetteville after all. 

During the coaching search, we all heard here what an awful program Arkansas is and how no one would want to coach in Fayetteville.  Then Long found one of the best coaches in the country who turned things around almost overnight.  We were winning again.  Things looked better than they had in 20 years, and it didn't look like we had peaked by any stretch.  We didn't have much to argue about here, so the GSD seemed to dominate conversation.  We had to be divided about something. I never knew there was a controversy.  Games in Little Rock and Fayetteville seemed as natural to me as the sun rising in the East.

Then Petrino got stuck in a roadside ditch.  Most of us, including myself, thought he could be retained and rehabilitated at some point.  He wasn't.  Yet again, we heard that no one would want to come to Arkansas.  Given the timing, Long made what looked like a good short term decision in hiring a former member of Petrino's staff with head coaching experience to work through the crisis. 

We didn't win like we were expected to in 2012.  We knew a new coach would be coming in.  There were two groups here - one thought Gruden or someone similar was going to ride in and take us to the promised land, while most continued to insist that no one wanted the Arkansas job.  Then Long found a guy who had been to the last three Rose Bowls.  But that was the Big Ten!, we heard here.  No where nearly good enough for the mighty SEC!

Then we go winless in conference for the first time in anyone's memory.  I think there might have been one other in Razorbacks history.  Some of us weren't surprised.  As homers, we may have predicted better things before the season.  But we knew about Petrino's unbalanced recruiting and we knew about the attrition.  We knew it would take time to transition from Petrino's offense to a pro-style, play action attack.  We knew our defense was seriously lacking at LB and safety.  But that didn't seem to matter to most.  They wanted wins, and they wanted them NOW!  And their message was loud and clear - ALL THAT MATTERS IS WINNING!!!

I'm not naïve about our fanbase any longer.  Now I wonder whether a Razorbacks fan hates WMS.  Does he think Arkansas athletes are inferior?  Does he hate Malzahn and Mustain?  Does he think the fans embarrassed themselves when we went after Nutt with both barrels?  Does he think we have always sucked?

I miss the days when I was naïve enough to think Razorbacks fans were the best in the country.     
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

EastexHawg

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 10:31:29 am
Wow we played 14 conference games last year? Reasonable fans are not holding CBB accountable for 2012. Heck it is 2012 the reason many of us give him a ride for 2013.

I clearly said the last TWO years.  I've never seen anyone blame "CBB" for 2012, so I have no idea what you are talking about there...which apparently makes two of us.

QuoteAttendance - could that have been the result of the economy and ticket prices? Or a display of discontent for the stadium or losing some of the games to campus?

Or it could be because we were 3-7 overall and 0-6 in the SEC at the time, and people don't feel like paying to see lousy football.

QuoteOnly a handful of people are calling for CBB this early or even next year. Keep fooling yourself if that makes you feel better.

Who said anything about "calling for CBB"?  Is he the only employee in the athletic department?  At the university?  Or was there possibly someone who hired him?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2014, 10:37:45 am
I clearly said the last TWO years.  I've never seen anyone blame "CBB" for 2012, so I have no idea what you are talking about there...which apparently makes two of us.

Or it could be because we were 3-7 overall and 0-6 in the SEC at the time, and people don't feel like paying to see lousy football.

Who said anything about "calling for CBB"?  Is he the only employee in the athletic department?  At the university?  Or was there possibly someone who hired him?

CBB's success or lack of is an extension used by many to go after Long. Sorry that I wasn't more clear. Again other than a stat on stadium attendance that cannot positively be correlated with your argument - what have you got to show you guys are large and powerful in numbers?

I think it is more likely a small inflated ego bunch on Hogville than a movement. You are not the early days of the darksiders this time. Long has not committed the crap Hootie did. As of today the administration is doing just fine.

Now this time next year...
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

EastexHawg

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 10:45:35 am
CBB's success or lack of is an extension used by many to go after Long.

What a revolutionary concept.  We're coming off our first winless conference season in football since Hitler was wearing a swastika in Berlin...after a 2-6, 4-8 disaster that featured the John L. Smith hire the season before...and we haven't made the NCAA basketball tournament in any of his six years on the job.

I can't imagine what anyone could possibly find to be less than giddy about.

If I try to drive a nail into a board using a hacksaw and it doesn't work, I don't blame the hacksaw.  I blame the guy who picked it up in the first place.  Bielema is the hacksaw as far as I'm concerned, although at $3 million per year be better figure out a way to get the job done soon or we'll be moving on to and blaming our next implement.

jkstock04

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 10:45:35 am
CBB's success or lack of is an extension used by many to go after Long. Sorry that I wasn't more clear. Again other than a stat on stadium attendance that cannot positively be correlated with your argument - what have you got to show you guys are large and powerful in numbers?

I think it is more likely a small inflated ego bunch on Hogville than a movement. You are not the early days of the darksiders this time. Long has not committed the crap Hootie did. As of today the administration is doing just fine.

Now this time next year...
Not saying you would disagree necessarily but if you are insinuating only a small group on Hogville is not happy with everything that has happened, and not happy with Long/Bielema...I would strongly disagree...I think it will become more apparent this year with attendance numbers. It's inevitable, if we do poorly attendance will go down.

No doubt there are the hardcore fans who will go to games, cheer, and be happy regardless of performance. But, I would estimate prob 70-80% of fans are fair weather.  I'll be honest with you, i can't remember a more apathetic spring than we are having right now. It's kind of like the elephant in the room type of a deal. The excitement is not there like it has been in the past. And considering 2012 & 2013 that's really not too surprising.

A 3rd terrible season in a row will not bode well for Jeff Long, I would guarantee that...no way that will reflect well, and you will see $$ numbers that we saw absolutely blow up during the Petrino years go down.

The program needs real improvement. I know a lot of y'all are saying we could have the same exact record as last year and still be an improved team if we are competitive...lol but I'm telling ya that ain't gonna cut it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bphi11ips

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2014, 11:00:42 am
What a revolutionary concept.  We're coming off our first winless conference season in football since Hitler was wearing a swastika in Berlin...after a 2-6, 4-8 disaster that featured the John L. Smith hire the season before...and we haven't made the NCAA basketball tournament in any of his six years on the job.

I can't imagine what anyone could possibly find to be less than giddy about.

If I try to drive a nail into a board using a hacksaw and it doesn't work, I don't blame the hacksaw.  I blame the guy who picked it up in the first place.  Bielema is the hacksaw as far as I'm concerned, although at $3 million per year be better figure out a way to get the job done soon or we'll be moving on to and blaming our next implement.

You've always seemed to be someone who knows his football.  What do you think of the program Bielema took over, and how long do you think any coach would take to fix it? 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 14, 2014, 11:05:48 am
Not saying you would disagree necessarily but if you are insinuating only a small group on Hogville is not happy with everything that has happened, and not happy with Long/Bielema...I would strongly disagree...I think it will become more apparent this year with attendance numbers. It's inevitable, if we do poorly attendance will go down.

No doubt there are the hardcore fans who will go to games, cheer, and be happy regardless of performance. But, I would estimate prob 70-80% of fans are fair weather.  I'll be honest with you, i can't remember a more apathetic spring than we are having right now. It's kind of like the elephant in the room type of a deal. The excitement is not there like it has been in the past. And considering 2012 & 2013 that's really not too surprising.

A 3rd terrible season in a row will not bode well for Jeff Long, I would guarantee that...no way that will reflect well, and you will see $$ numbers that we saw absolutely blow up during the Petrino years go down.

The program needs real improvement. I know a lot of y'all are saying we could have the same exact record as last year and still be an improved team if we are competitive...lol but I'm telling ya that ain't gonna cut it.

I am speaking as of today. Of course if the losing keeps coming then more will follow. I just get tired of some that act like  the darkside is ready to ride again. I simply don't see an uprising on the scale of Hootie's.

Yet.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 14, 2014, 10:31:29 am

I'm not naïve about our fanbase any longer.  Now I wonder whether a Razorbacks fan hates WMS.  Does he think Arkansas athletes are inferior?  Does he hate Malzahn and Mustain?  Does he think the fans embarrassed themselves when we went after Nutt with both barrels?  Does he think we have always sucked?

I miss the days when I was naïve enough to think Razorbacks fans were the best in the country.   

Here are 5 things you need to know about the Razorback fan base

1.  It isn't as big as everyone likes to think it is

2.  There are is a small group that is really hard core, going to follow the team, recruiting, etc regardless of record, opponent, coach, style, or record.  They call radio shows, they post on message boards.  They are razorback junkies.

3.  There are alot of fair weather fans.  They will watch the big games, they will not attend if the weather is too bad, unless the team is really good.  They don't follow recruiting very closely, except maybe high profile in state kids.

4.  A minority truly enjoy football for the sake of football.

5.  The majority want to be entertained FIRST, if the team is going to go 7-5, might as well be doing it throwing 50 passes a game, and losing 5 times 56-49.  Unless the team wins a title, these fans want excitement. They do not care about defense, run blocking, etc, they just want to be excited.

Guess what, I just actually described EVERY fan base. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ChitownHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 14, 2014, 11:36:27 am
Here are 5 things you need to know about the Razorback fan base

1.  It isn't as big as everyone likes to think it is

2.  There are is a small group that is really hard core, going to follow the team, recruiting, etc regardless of record, opponent, coach, style, or record.  They call radio shows, they post on message boards.  They are razorback junkies.

3.  There are alot of fair weather fans.  They will watch the big games, they will not attend if the weather is too bad, unless the team is really good.  They don't follow recruiting very closely, except maybe high profile in state kids.

4.  A minority truly enjoy football for the sake of football.

5.  The majority want to be entertained FIRST, if the team is going to go 7-5, might as well be doing it throwing 50 passes a game, and losing 5 times 56-49.  Unless the team wins a title, these fans want excitement. They do not care about defense, run blocking, etc, they just want to be excited.

Guess what, I just actually described EVERY fan base.

True. A friend of mine, native Chicagoan, has been a diehard Blackhawks fan her whole life. Caught a lot of crap for wearing her Hawks jersey a few years back. Now with two Cups everyone in Chicago is a Blackhawks fan. She has a hard time understand where they were through the dark years.

Fans are fans everywhere.  ;D

EastexHawg

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 14, 2014, 11:06:57 am
You've always seemed to be someone who knows his football.  What do you think of the program Bielema took over, and how long do you think any coach would take to fix it?

I think an outstanding coach will have his program turned around within three years, maybe less.  If he's not putting up 9-10 win seasons by year three in this era of 13 game seasons it's likely you could have hired a better coach.

Look at the successful Arkansas coaches of the last half century:

Bowden Wyatt...3-7 in year one, SWC champ and top ten in year two.
Frank Broyles...six straight losses to begin year one, then 21-5 with two conference titles over the next two and a half seasons.
Lou Holtz...11-1 and top three in year one, 30-5-1 in his first three.  Nuff said.
Ken Hatfield...7-4-1 in year one, 10-2 with a Holiday Bowl win in year two, Orange Bowl bid in year three.
Bobby Petrino...5-7, 8-5, 10-3 with a Sugar Bowl in year three.

Teams that languish near the bottom of the cutthroat SEC for several years have a long, long road to being competitive within their divisions and the conference as a whole...if it ever happens over a period of decades.  If a team in Arkansas' position ever gets momentum, it is vitally important that it is maintained.  That is what is so incredibly disappointing about what has happened to our program.

snoblind

goodguytex

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 14, 2014, 01:17:25 pm
So now this thread is people arguing over why people are arguing?
Nothing better to do on a stormy Monday.

EastexHawg

Quote from: goodguytex on April 14, 2014, 01:21:59 pm
Nothing better to do on a stormy Monday.

41 degrees at 1:25 p.m. with severe thunderstorms in the area...in East Texas in the middle of April.  That great, just great.

Every time the bass move up shallow and the fishing starts to get really good we have something like this move in.

kingofdequeen

ORANGE SLICES AND JUICE BOXES FOR EVERYONE

goodguytex

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 14, 2014, 01:25:13 pm
41 degrees at 1:25 p.m. with severe thunderstorms in the area...in East Texas in the middle of April.  That great, just great.

Every time the bass move up shallow and the fishing starts to get really good we have something like this move in.
Global warming at its finest!! Hi Benny... ;D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on April 14, 2014, 01:17:25 pm
So now this thread is people arguing over why people are arguing?

It Spring. When fall camp starts we will have more meaty subjects to argue over.

It is 45 and rainy in Chicago. Considering we just came through a top 5 all time worse winter - I'm not complaining!  ;D

OldCoot

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 10, 2014, 08:19:33 am
What Brother Lanny is saying --

Dissent is welcome on Hogville. Hogville was created to be a place where anti-homers were allowed to coexist.

Flaming is forbidden. People who deliberately incite arguments get banned. We have a population of inveterate flamers who keep coming back under new identities. BTW, hi Skip!

Others come in without experience and are easily dragged into endless threads of bickering. They just need to learn.

Where is he,,,,haven't heard that name in years.  Thought he died of cancer in houston.

Deep Shoat

The majority of the fan base is okay with 2-14 in the SEC the last two years and doesn't believe anyone should be held accountable for that record?

We had an ANNOUNCED crowd of 45,000 for an SEC game in Little Rock.  Apparently our fan base isn't as large, satisfied, and solidly behind what has been going on on the hill as you might think.
You read way too much into the attendance numbers of a game late in a terrible season.  In this day of easy access to entertainment, a losing streak will cause people to stay home.  Start winning and they will fill it right back up. 

Most of the people filling up stadiums every saturday during CFB season are casual fans.  They love the team, but from afar and they aren't going to hurt with them when they can go to the lake or the movies or the deer woods, or whatever.

Most dedicated Hog fans aren't satisfied with 2-14 over the last two seasons, either.  We simply realize the fault lies with a coach who isn't here anymore and a year thrown away trying to keep a team from falling apart. 

We also realize it takes time to rebuild and are willing to be patient for a time to allow it to happen.  I mean, it's not like we hired some scrub coach.  CBB is the homerun hire people have been screaming for, yet somehow you all want to blame the AD who keeps hiring big names...
All Gas, No Brakes!

jkstock04

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 11:14:27 am
I am speaking as of today. Of course if the losing keeps coming then more will follow. I just get tired of some that act like  the darkside is ready to ride again. I simply don't see an uprising on the scale of Hootie's.

Yet.
There is nothing like that going on...it got pretty personal with Nutt due to player abuse and his apparent purposeful destruction of the program. His decision to run Malzahn off is one of many things that makes him look like an idiot today. There is nothing like that going on here with Bielema. There's not gonna be FOI's or airplanes with banners...crazy stuff like that...no.

But I do believe there is more discontent going around than a lot of people are letting on. Like I said elephant in the room. It's not all on Bielema...2012 had nothing to do with him. That's on Jeff Long/Petrino whoever you wish to blame. Regardless, this is not a recipe for the what have you done for me lately world we now live in. Majority of people agree 3-6 wins is our range this year. For the fair weather population (which is the majority of most fan bases) I'm tellin ya that ain't gonna cut it.

Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 14, 2014, 02:46:34 pm
You read way too much into the attendance numbers of a game late in a terrible season.  In this day of easy access to entertainment, a losing streak will cause people to stay home.  Start winning and they will fill it right back up. 

Most of the people filling up stadiums every saturday during CFB season are casual fans.  They love the team, but from afar and they aren't going to hurt with them when they can go to the lake or the movies or the deer woods, or whatever.

Most dedicated Hog fans aren't satisfied with 2-14 over the last two seasons, either.  We simply realize the fault lies with a coach who isn't here anymore and a year thrown away trying to keep a team from falling apart. 

We also realize it takes time to rebuild and are willing to be patient for a time to allow it to happen.  I mean, it's not like we hired some scrub coach.  CBB is the homerun hire people have been screaming for, yet somehow you all want to blame the AD who keeps hiring big names...

Well said. Of course I may have doomed you by agreeing with you.  ;D

Mike Irwin

Quote from: goodguytex on April 14, 2014, 01:41:06 pm
Global warming at its finest!! Hi Benny... ;D
Don't you know that global warming actually causes it to get cooler? It also causes.....
cancer
headaches
murders
range wars
Nazis
motorcycle gangs
religious cults
and hangnails.

goodguytex

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 02:50:54 pm
Well said. Of course I may have doomed you by agreeing with you.  ;D
Seems spot on accurate to me too.

Deep Shoat

I'd also like to point out that the Gruden people helped cause this.  By building up a lie of that magnitude for that long, they created a no win situation for Long (which was their motive all along). 

All the people who said, "I know it isn't true, but it doesn't hurt anything to have fun with it" were not considering the flamethrowing mouthbreather portion of our fanbase who idolize fans like porkrindjimmy.

The Gruden folk got exactly what they wanted.
All Gas, No Brakes!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2014, 02:51:25 pm
  Don't you know that global warming actually causes it to get cooler? It also causes.....
cancer
headaches
murders
range wars
Nazis
motorcycle gangs
religious cults
and hangnails.

And us going 0fer last year!

EastexHawg

The point is that when you're only drawing an ANNOUNCED...not actual butts in seats...crowd of 45,000 for the lone SEC game in Little Rock you don't have enough fans to be able to say "screw you" to any of them.  You're not like Warren Buffett dropping a dollar bill and not bothering to even bend over to pick it up.

Wants2Win

I wouldn't consider CBB a homerun hire. His overall record is good but declining. Beat up on the dregs of the Big 10, not successful against the traditional powers, lousy record in bowls, and has an outdated football philosophy. I wasn't excited when he was hired and am not excited now.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 14, 2014, 02:56:51 pm
I'd also like to point out that the Gruden people helped cause this.  By building up a lie of that magnitude for that long, they created a no win situation for Long (which was their motive all along). 

All the people who said, "I know it isn't true, but it doesn't hurt anything to have fun with it" were not considering the flamethrowing mouthbreather portion of our fanbase who idolize fans like porkrindjimmy.

The Gruden folk got exactly what they wanted.
Long created a no win situation for himself. Did anyone honestly believe he would be able to replace CBP with a coach of the same caliber?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 14, 2014, 03:11:46 pm
Long created a no win situation for himself. Did anyone honestly believe he would be able to replace CBP with a coach of the same caliber?

Geez do we have to keep going down this path? Some of you guys are so in love with CBP. I like his winning, but not his dumping on my alma mater.

Besides CBP created the situation. Long cleaned up the mess as best he could. CBP's pride kept him from taking Long's offer.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 14, 2014, 03:08:27 pm
I wouldn't consider CBB a homerun hire. His overall record is good but declining. Beat up on the dregs of the Big 10, not successful against the traditional powers, lousy record in bowls, and has an outdated football philosophy. I wasn't excited when he was hired and am not excited now.

Who are the last 10 national champions? What philosophy did they adhere to? Enough said. Snap!  ;D

goodguytex

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 03:16:43 pm
Who are the last 10 national champions? What philosophy did they adhere to? Enough said. Snap!  ;D
Yeah... You are confusing people with facts again... Those are the same people that actually believed when Lane kiffin was hired as oc by saban at Bama, that saban was going with a HUNH offense like Malzahn. Kiffin of course didn't run that type of offense... Ever.

Wants2Win

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 03:16:43 pm
Having the best players in the country has nothing to do with it I'm sure.

Mike Irwin

I was at that game. It was an early start. The wind was blowing and it was really cold. Those 45,000 deserved a medal for sitting there and supporting the Hogs the entire game.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2014, 04:26:02 pm
I was at that game. It was an early start. The wind was blowing and it was really cold. Those 45,000 deserved a medal for sitting there and supporting the Hogs the entire game.

Was that through route running or scheme? We have a throwback to the TE on a wheel route that has been used effectively in the past.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 04:29:54 pm
Was that through route running or scheme? We have a throwback to the TE on a wheel route that has been used effectively in the past.
He was open on more than just that one play. He also did a good job of route running the previous Thursday.

weresoclose

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 03:15:06 pm

Besides CBP created the situation. Long cleaned up the mess as best he could. CBP's pride kept him from taking Long's offer.

Supposed offer. I still don't buy it, even with 4th hand info from Mike Irwin.  Either way, Jeffy made a terrible mistake for Hog football, and more proof of that truth will be available in 7 months, although it will become more evident in about 5 months. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: weresoclose on April 14, 2014, 04:54:07 pm
Supposed offer. I still don't buy it, even with 4th hand info from Mike Irwin.  Either way, Jeffy made a terrible mistake for Hog football, and more proof of that truth will be available in 7 months, although it will become more evident in about 5 months.
It happened whether you believe it or not. 
All Gas, No Brakes!

ChitownHawg

Man I have missed your curmudgeon posts, where you been?  ;D

weresoclose

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 05:17:18 pm
Man I have missed your curmudgeon posts, where you been?  ;D

Keeping those damn kids off my lawn.

Mike Irwin

Like everything else that comes from a source unless you were actually there it's hard to believe something 100%. You have to make the assumption that the source has no reason to lie and that the source didn't misunderstand something in the translation.

The standard is three sources and in this case there was only one.

However in talking to a number of people who had dealings with Petrino while he was here it's clear that their impression of Petrino was that he thought of himself as bulletproof. They depict him as a guy who fully understood how badly Hog fans wanted respect for their team in the SEC. He gave them that and took maximum advantage of it.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2014, 05:44:52 pm
Like everything else that comes from a source unless you were actually there it's hard to believe something 100%. You have to make the assumption that the source has no reason to lie and that the source didn't misunderstand something in the translation.

The standard is three sources and in this case there was only one.

However in talking to a number of people who had dealings with Petrino while he was here it's clear that their impression of Petrino was that he thought of himself as bulletproof. They depict him as a guy who fully understood how badly Hog fans wanted respect for their team in the SEC. He gave them that and took maximum advantage of it.

If he indeed felt that way (and his public persona does nothing to detract from that), I can see him going "all in," convinced that Long didn't have the stones to call his bluff.

weresoclose

And I praise him for doing what it appears very few if any others could do, Mike!  I do not care one iota about Jessica or anything to do with her, including hiring her for the b.s. job of going over transcripts and choosing between Doe's and Herman's.  Mike...  We just hired the most winning coach from the Big 10 (save Urban Meyer) and he can't do it, and we're going to have to wait another 2-4 years before we try somebody new!

I do not understand the mentality people seem to share that BP had to be fired.  I don't view Jeff Long's job as being bigger than BPs, especially considering BP could do Jeff's job but not vice versa. 

Hawgin84

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 12, 2014, 10:53:25 am
Maybe but that wasn't my point. Most Razorback fans in those days hated Abe Lemons. If he had been Arkansas' coach they would have loved him.

Lou Holtz said funny stuff for public consumption and the fans thought he was great. He was about as funny as a heart attack in person. Abe was a great guy to shoot the breeze with. Nothing phony about him.

I remember when Abe led a Hog Call after U.S.Reed hit the half court shot to beat Louisville. One could tell he really was a good guy. I enjoyed his character, as well as the character!

ricepig

Quote from: weresoclose on April 14, 2014, 05:57:49 pm
And I praise him for doing what it appears very few if any others could do, Mike!  I do not care one iota about Jessica or anything to do with her, including hiring her for the b.s. job of going over transcripts and choosing between Doe's and Herman's.  Mike...  We just hired the most winning coach from the Big 10 (save Urban Meyer) and he can't do it, and we're going to have to wait another 2-4 years before we try somebody new!

I do not understand the mentality people seem to share that BP had to be fired.  I don't view Jeff Long's job as being bigger than BPs, especially considering BP could do Jeff's job but not vice versa. 

So, how did you come across this info on who could and couldn't do the other person's job, some more of your opinions?

weresoclose

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 06:13:29 pm
So, how did you come across this info on who could and couldn't do the other person's job, some more of your opinions?

Sir,

Hootie Dale was the heir apparent for the AD... er, I mean Vice Chancellor of Athletics... position.  Need there be any more evidence?

Further, Jeffrey himself would tell you he could do no better than 0fer in the SEC, which, ironically, is what he has given us... perhaps JL could do just as well as Brett, but thankfully we'll never find out...

MuskogeeHogFan

The hilarious thing here is that you think that as long as a HC is winning, it doesn't matter how much he embarasses his employer in public with his behavior. That is about the most unrealistic take on a situation that I have ever read or heard.

The motorcycle wreck with Jessica and the effort to cover it up without the knowledge and help of his AD wasn't the first time he screwed up, it was just the last time. I won't even go into it all, Mike Irwin knows everything that happened, including embarrassing incidents at the Cotton Bowl. Had BP just came right out and told Long what had happened, he might have engaged in damage control and covered it all up, retaining BP as the HC.

It is one thing when you think that you are bigger than the program and don't communicate well and count on your AD to continually bail you out, it is quite another when you don't tell the truth and leave your AD on an island, to scramble and make the best of a bad situation when he doesn't even know the whole truth of the matter, and then you make a nationally publicized statement that misleads everyone, including your employer, and leaves them holding the bag.

BP thought he was bigger than the program and the University and as mentioned before, thought he was "bullet-proof". Take note, no one is "bullet-proof". BP's error, not that of Long or the University.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcard1964

You won't have to wait that long.  You'll know what you have by game 6 of this year.  We will be greatly improved this season.

ricepig

Quote from: weresoclose on April 14, 2014, 06:15:39 pm
Sir,

Hootie Dale was the heir apparent for the AD... er, I mean Vice Chancellor of Athletics... position.  Need there be any more evidence?

Further, Jeffrey himself would tell you he could do no better than 0fer in the SEC, which, ironically, is what he has given us... perhaps JL could do just as well as Brett, but thankfully we'll never find out...

As I thought, poor attempt at humor, but keep trying.

forrest city joe

Was just listening to Marcus Elliot on DTS. and he made this statement in i (Quote.)that base on what we have seen. Shutting down the QB job right now and naming B. Allen the starter is ridiculous. Marcus is a fair man. wonder why he feels so strong about this? as a fan sitting here at home, i have given my opinion on this. but to hear an ex-Razorback who is close to the program say it, is surprising.sunshine Rick disagreed, but Marcus stuck to his guns.

goodguytex

How do you know... At the end of only one season of him being hc, that he can't do it? That's quite a conclusion you have come to there... You may turn out to be right, but none of us know if bielema can build a winning program here yet. We will know more after year two. If we see same results or worse in year two and three as we see in year one, it's time for a change big time. Still a long way to go.