Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calm down on here

Started by Lanny, April 09, 2014, 02:40:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 16, 2014, 04:33:38 pm
I know.

(As an aside, I'm waiting to see how long it take a certain prediction made this afternoon by a national media guy to hit the board. Talk about sackcloth and ashes...) 😄

I've been searching, who is it that made the prediction?
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 16, 2014, 05:28:37 pm
I've been searching, who is it that made the prediction?

Russ Mitchell of College Football News. Predicted this afternoon that we would again go 0-8 in the SEC this fall.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 16, 2014, 05:46:00 pm
Russ Mitchell of College Football News. Predicted this afternoon that we would again go 0-8 in the SEC this fall.

Not buying it. Not buying 2-6 in the SEC either. We will be better. Not great, but better.
Go Hogs Go!

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2014, 06:21:58 pm

The hilarious thing here is that you think that as long as a HC is winning, it doesn't matter how much he embarasses his employer in public with his behavior. That is about the most unrealistic take on a situation that I have ever read or heard.

The motorcycle wreck with Jessica and the effort to cover it up without the knowledge and help of his AD wasn't the first time he screwed up, it was just the last time. I won't even go into it all, Mike Irwin knows everything that happened, including embarrassing incidents at the Cotton Bowl. Had BP just came right out and told Long what had happened, he might have engaged in damage control and covered it all up, retaining BP as the HC.

It is one thing when you think that you are bigger than the program and don't communicate well and count on your AD to continually bail you out, it is quite another when you don't tell the truth and leave your AD on an island, to scramble and make the best of a bad situation when he doesn't even know the whole truth of the matter, and then you make a nationally publicized statement that misleads everyone, including your employer, and leaves them holding the bag.

BP thought he was bigger than the program and the University and as mentioned before, thought he was "bullet-proof". Take note, no one is "bullet-proof". BP's error, not that of Long or the University.

Agree with above post.  Not many people are going to be able to lie to their boss in private..... then lie publicly...then get caught, & make their boss & employer look like fools...& still keep their job.  Shouldn't be any surprise of the result.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on April 16, 2014, 06:17:12 pm
Agree with above post.  Not many people are going to be able to lie to their boss in private..... then lie publicly...then get caught, & make their boss & employer look like fools...& still keep their job.  Shouldn't be any surprise of the result.

Hey what did you do with the argumentative lunatic from yesterday? Quit trying to confuse me this sudden agreements.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

weresoclose

If I've come across as argumentative (of course I have, this is a message board where we hash these things out) ... well... I don't want to be. 

We are all Hog fans.  We have differing opinions.  The only agenda I truly carry is to express my viewpoint.  Same as everyone else.

I do wonder how my desire to win computes with others who don't share the view that winning -- without NCAA violations -- is not paramount. 

I am a traditionalist at heart, and I live by those principles.  I don't cheat, lie or steal from my partner, my mate.  I don't like having a coach who abandons those principles in his personal life.  But I am the last person to judge.

What I do disagree with is the now (to me) obvious mistakes made by JL in his hiring decisions.  Until I am proven wrong, which unfortunately has not yet happened, I will continue to doubt his wisdom.   

I fully understand this business is a complicated one, and that it's not easy.  But I feel some people have a better eye for talent than others, and for a salary well past the 6 figure mark, I expect quite a bit.

Porked Tongue

One thing that I admire about BB is that he doesn't really make excuses.  Other coaches would have constantly reminded how many players we lost to injuries last year. Several of them before we hardly got started.

Given the lack of overall talent and depth it's safe to say it was the worst set of players put on the field in my long term memory.  We also went through the SEC initiation phase with refs.  His ability to stand up and own it as we all suffered through it told me all I need to know about him.

As for BP, that motorcycle wreck was just one of the needles on that porcupine.  There were at least two other significant in progress things that would have trumped the heck out of that wreck.  Long was told of both just a bit before the firing.  I believe later he heard even more from people that supported him and shared their knowledge.

Trying to read between the lines of Mr. Irwin, I think he's heard them.  One would have sat this program back much worse than the Nolan lawsuit did to basketball.

Go Hogs!  I got 3-5 in conference play.

weresoclose

I would ask that unspecified speculation be kept out of the conversation.  It seems grasping... and unprofessionally, unnecessarily punative in nature.  Coupled with zero real evidence --even one source instead of the "standard" three -- it's counterproductive in my estimation.  There would be no reason to hide those elements if they did, in fact, exist.

I will grant that Brett's lack of blame is a huge boon to his respect factor.  We all remember Hootie -- it wasn't that long ago.  But the same could be said of BP, and he followed it up with winning.  When Brett does that, only then will that respectable characteristic mean anything.

EastexHawg

If we go 0-8 in conference again and still have people claiming all is well and that we should all calm down and stay the course, I am going to have to seriously question how interested in winning our fan base is.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: weresoclose on April 16, 2014, 09:06:08 pm
I would ask that unspecified speculation be kept out of the conversation.  It seems grasping... and unprofessionally, unnecessarily punative in nature.  Coupled with zero real evidence --even one source instead of the "standard" three -- it's counterproductive in my estimation.  There would be no reason to hide those elements if they did, in fact, exist.

I'm not concerned with what you want, think or need substantiated .  I'm sure it contradicts your goals.

Feel free to work your side of the street with your productivity.

Steef

I will grant that Brett's lack of blame is a huge boon to his respect factor.  We all remember Hootie -- it wasn't that long ago.  But the same could be said of BP, and he followed it up with winning.  When Brett does that, only then will that respectable characteristic mean anything.

There can be a myriad of valid reasons to keep secrets secret.

If Porked says it, it's probably true. If Irwin says it, it's probably true. When BOTH of them say it, it's true.

weresoclose

Quote from: steefhog on April 16, 2014, 09:37:18 pm
There can be a myriad of valid reasons to keep secrets secret.

If Porked says it, it's probably true. If Irwin says it, it's probably true. When BOTH of them say it, it's true.

If those myriad reasons include protecting current faculty/staff, they should be revealed.

urkillnmesmalls

So, just out of curiosity.  Were you like Guv in that you felt that JL went overboard in "airing out personal issues" that didn't serve any purpose?  Because if you are...then why would you now SUPPORT having people denigrate BP when he's no longer here? 

Do you see the irony there?  On one hand, you want it left out of the conversation.  On the other, you claim it's unprofessional NOT to bring it to light.  You can't have it both ways. 

They're telling you there were skeletons with bombshells in the closet. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 16, 2014, 09:12:59 pm
If we go 0-8 in conference again and still have people claiming all is well and that we should all calm down and stay the course, I am going to have to seriously question how interested in winning our fan base is.

What I'll seriously question, is how you personally plan to come up with the $12M to remedy the situation.  I can see you doing about .12 worth of damage by complaining incessantly about it on Hogville, but beyond that...staying the course is highly likely to be your only option.  So you may want to saddle up...
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 17, 2014, 07:53:58 am
What I'll seriously question, is how you personally plan to come up with the $12M to remedy the situation.  I can see you doing about .12 worth of damage by complaining incessantly about it on Hogville, but beyond that...staying the course is highly likely to be your only option.  So you may want to saddle up...

Even better, I'd like to know, after someone ponies up the 12mil, WHO do they think the Hogs should hire, AND why would that coach take the job. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2014, 08:44:25 am
Even better, I'd like to know, after someone ponies up the 12mil, WHO do they think the Hogs should hire, AND why would that coach take the job.

This gets back to why BB needs to succeed here, despite some who don't like him and hope he fails.  He's got the pedigree, and he's taking a big risk with his career with this move.  If he can't crack the top 20 in recruiting at least every other year, and if he can't win at least 8-9 games in most seasons, then what is that going to tell future coaching prospects about our program?

Everyone keeps saying this year is crucial for BB.  I'll take that a step further and say that the next few years are crucial for our program.  If BB decides this is more than he wants to bite off long term, and Iowa or another Big 10 school comes calling in a few years, then we're going to have to lure a coach in here.  Sure...we can probably get the Hudspeth and those types, who were willing to roll the dice with a HUGE pay increase and the chance to prove themselves, but we're still not going to be in the position to lure the top guys away from successful programs.   

Shorttimer

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 17, 2014, 08:55:00 am
This gets back to why BB needs to succeed here, despite some who don't like him and hope he fails. 

This is what's so interesting to me.  There are several on here who do want him to fail, despite their assertions to the contrary.  In much the same way as many were rooting for the Hogs to lose at the end of Nutt's tenure in order to hasten his departure, a few here (who have posted in this thread) would like for Beilema to drop another 0-8 with the orgasmic hope that 2015 or 2016 will bring us Gus Malzahn or Art Briles or Bobby Petrino 2.0--essentially anyone who will install an exciting offense, all else be darned.

You know who you are.  You're the hoard of Razorback undead roaming the message boards trying to infect the rest of us with your pessimism.  You turn up everywhere, trying to convince everyone that Louisville's coach should still be here or Auburn's coach should have taken his place.  And for what purpose?  To persuade some guy from Dumas that the prairie dog offense is the future of college football?

We get it.  We have a coach and you don't like him.  You know what you should do?  Start a thread titled, "We Have a Coach and I Don't Like Him".  Then I'll know not to click on it.  Make it 75 pages long for all I care. Post there every day about how stupid Beilema is. But I'm tired of you transforming threads about Austin Allen or uniform colors or the Grateful Dead into Beilema bashing circle jerks of misery. I swear I open up every thread and start at the end, just to see if it remotely resembles the title.  Most of the time it doesn't. 

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Shorttimer on April 17, 2014, 01:51:02 pm
This is what's so interesting to me.  There are several on here who do want him to fail, despite their assertions to the contrary.  In much the same way as many were rooting for the Hogs to lose at the end of Nutt's tenure in order to hasten his departure, a few here (who have posted in this thread) would like for Beilema to drop another 0-8 with the orgasmic hope that 2015 or 2016 will bring us Gus Malzahn or Art Briles or Bobby Petrino 2.0--essentially anyone who will install an exciting offense, all else be darned.

You know who you are.  You're the hoard of Razorback undead roaming the message boards trying to infect the rest of us with your pessimism.  You turn up everywhere, trying to convince everyone that Louisville's coach should still be here or Auburn's coach should have taken his place.  And for what purpose?  To persuade some guy from Dumas that the prairie dog offense is the future of college football?

We get it.  We have a coach and you don't like him.  You know what you should do?  Start a thread titled, "We Have a Coach and I Don't Like Him".  Then I'll know not to click on it.  Make it 75 pages long for all I care. Post there every day about how stupid Beilema is. But I'm tired of you transforming threads about Austin Allen or uniform colors or the Grateful Dead into Beilema bashing circle jerks of misery. I swear I open up every thread and start at the end, just to see if it remotely resembles the title.  Most of the time it doesn't.
Bannings will make this (mostly) stop.

They say they are just expressing their opinion.  But we know that isn't the case.  If that were true, they would be spent by now.  You can only express an opinion that forcefully and negatively for a short time time before you just walk away.

They are agenda driven trolls.
All Gas, No Brakes!

chitwnhog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 17, 2014, 01:57:35 pm
Bannings will make this (mostly) stop.

They say they are just expressing their opinion.  But we know that isn't the case.  If that were true, they would be spent by now.  You can only express an opinion that forcefully and negatively for a short time time before you just walk away.

They are agenda driven trolls.

Completely agree. Them: CBB is awful...3-9  0-fer...boring...etc.  Us:  I want to wait and see...give him a few years to install his system...can't make a judgement after one season. Them: CBB is awful...3-9 0-fer...boring...etc. You can hit em with facts and stats and they will respond with CBB is awful...3-9 0-fer...boring...etc.  It never seems to end.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on April 17, 2014, 08:44:25 am

If you've gone 2-22 in conference over the course of three seasons, just how much risk can there be...from an on the field, competitive standpoint...in exploring another option?

By the way, I'm not the one who brought up the 0-8 thing, it was another poster quoting a talking head.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 17, 2014, 02:07:29 pm
If you've gone 2-22 in conference over the course of three seasons, just how much risk can there be...from an on the field, competitive standpoint...in exploring another option?

By the way, I'm not the one who brought up the 0-8 thing, it was another poster quoting a talking head.

Two words for you - Nutt / Crowe. Never think it cannot get worse.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

chitwnhog

Quote from: locusbug on April 17, 2014, 02:18:48 pm
Two words for you - Nutt / Crowe. Never think it cannot get worse.  ;D

Boom! Exactly. And how is it that CBB gets blamed for the record the last three years?

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 16, 2014, 02:49:33 pm
You run him into the ground for a lack of facts, but you come up with this?  As fact?  That's not a fact.  If it is, prove it.  I'll wait.

Actually, your entire post is full of the same kind of non-facts as you accused weresoclose of using.

Please.

I commented that Arkansas had recruited some of the best offensive line talent over the last two years than probably any period since the 70's and you have a problem with that?

We routinely use internet recruiting services to gauge the projected talent level of our recruiting classes and based on the rankings it's as good as it's been in a long long time.  I can't prove that they are all going to be as advertised, I'm just going by their ranking out of high school although Kirkland and Skipper played as true freshmen and I'd have to think 247's ranking on Skipper as a run of the mill 86 3 star is going to prove to be low.

We've signed seven offensive linemen in the last two classes and none of them are from Arkansas.  That group includes three 4 star recruits, with three really highly ranked 3 star recruits that actually were ranked 4 star recruits on some sites (I went with 247)

How is that not being factual?  Name a two year period where the recruiting was better than that on paper or tell me you're sorry.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 17, 2014, 08:55:00 am
This gets back to why BB needs to succeed here, despite some who don't like him and hope he fails.  He's got the pedigree, and he's taking a big risk with his career with this move.  If he can't crack the top 20 in recruiting at least every other year, and if he can't win at least 8-9 games in most seasons, then what is that going to tell future coaching prospects about our program?

Everyone keeps saying this year is crucial for BB.  I'll take that a step further and say that the next few years are crucial for our program.  If BB decides this is more than he wants to bite off long term, and Iowa or another Big 10 school comes calling in a few years, then we're going to have to lure a coach in here.  Sure...we can probably get the Hudspeth and those types, who were willing to roll the dice with a HUGE pay increase and the chance to prove themselves, but we're still not going to be in the position to lure the top guys away from successful programs.   

Not enough people catch this concept... This is an area where a fan base can really negatively impact their own program...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

LZH

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 21, 2014, 06:49:38 pm
How is that not being factual?  Name a two year period where the recruiting was better than that on paper or tell me you're sorry.

Actually, I believe the burden of proof lies with you, cuz....you're the one who claims it was a fact in the first place.  Besides, internet tough guys don't apologize.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 21, 2014, 07:26:39 pm
Actually, I believe the burden of proof lies with you, cuz....you're the one who claims it was a fact in the first place.  Besides, internet tough guys don't apologize.

Apology accepted.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Wants2Win

Quote from: chitwnhog on April 17, 2014, 02:06:32 pm
Completely agree. Them: CBB is awful...3-9  0-fer...boring...etc.  Us:  I want to wait and see...give him a few years to install his system...can't make a judgement after one season. Them: CBB is awful...3-9 0-fer...boring...etc. You can hit em with facts and stats and they will respond with CBB is awful...3-9 0-fer...boring...etc.  It never seems to end.
All things must pass.

LZH

Wild Bill Hog

Calmness is really nice.

ChitownHawg

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

IMO it's more important for us to get better on defense and in the passing game, than our record at the end of the year.  We know we can run the ball, that's not a concern.

If we barely qualify for a bowl game, but our offense is more balanced and creative, our defense creates turnovers, wins a couple of games for us and keeps us from getting blown out during the games we do lose....I'll take that over 8 or 9 wins.

I think because we lost every SEC game last season, we're understandably too concerned with what our record will be.  After thinking about it, I'd rather see overall improvement than a lot of W's.  Even those can be misleading, as we know all too well.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

LSUFan

I think a monkey ship fight at the Alma Sonic may be in order.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

j-mann

i am a big fan of the razorbacks and always will be we have to stick together things will get better maybe not in 14 but Bama and Lsu will go down someday too     
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Augustus

Quote from: Shorttimer on April 17, 2014, 01:51:02 pm

Yep. I don't post on HV much, so not sure who you're talking about... but I know there were people who were wanting Pelphrey to lose, just so he could be fired...

Rooting against the Team you claim to be a fan of, just to serve some personal agenda you have about the current Coach is dysfunctional.

weresoclose

Quote from: AugustusThe3rd on April 23, 2014, 10:53:35 pm
Yep. I don't post on HV much, so not sure who you're talking about... but I know there were people who were wanting Pelphrey to lose, just so he could be fired...

Rooting against the Team you claim to be a fan of, just to serve some personal agenda you have about the current Coach is dysfunctional.

I venture to guess that nobody wanted Pel to lose just because they didn't like him.  Many simply realized that he would never be able to achieve greatness as our coach, and so in order to speed up the process of finding someone who could, Pel losing was necessary.  It saved us yet another year of futility. 

I still believe in MA as taking our program back into a competitive level as a program.  I have never thought he could duplicate what Nolan did.  Bill Self, I did believe that about him... anyway back to Mike... we should keep him around to help us take those next couple steps closer.  That is his purpose to me..

Now consider Brett.  I do not believe his style will translate into championships here, but his staying around at this point is necessary, and I would like for him to build stability here for 5 years.  However, if another Gus comes along, we should can him immediately.  There is no point of even allowing the couple steps up Brett can take us if we have a better option available who can do that same thing plus much more.