Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Calm down on here

Started by Lanny, April 09, 2014, 02:40:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

forrest city joe

You guys really need to be listening to Marcus right now. he is making a lot of sense.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:37:00 pm
You guys really need to be listening to Marcus right now. he is making a lot of sense.
Why is he making sense? Because his position is the same as yours? Doesn't matter the decision has been made by the coaches. Whose opinion does matter.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Mike Irwin

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:37:00 pm
I've been to the practices and scrimmages that have been open. I haven't see Marcus. If he's sure that the two freshmen should be in the mix at starting QB surely he's seen them. My question is, when?

forrest city joe

Quote from: locusbug on April 14, 2014, 06:38:56 pm
Why is he making sense? Because his position is the same as yours? Doesn't matter thed decision has been made but the coaches. Whose opinion does matter.
No. he makes sense because say what you want about Marcus. he knows football. and he is giving his opinion.and he has lived this as a razorback player. so when he talks, i listen. and if you would listen instead of being dug in with your mind made up. you would see that the man is making some good points. not just because i agree with some of the tings he said.

Steef

Probably regret this.

But who...is Marcus?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:46:26 pm
No. he makes sense because say what you want about Marcus. he knows football. and he is giving his opinion.and he has lived this as a razorback player. so when he talks, i listen. and if you would listen instead of being dug in with your mind made up. you would see that the man is making some good points. not just because i agree with some of the tings he said.

A couple of points. I am out of state so don't listen to Arkansas sports radio. Second, read Mike's response. Marcus may be a good guy and knowledgeable about football, but having not seen the players practice means he is speaking from a blind point of view.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

forrest city joe

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 14, 2014, 06:41:23 pm
I've been to the practices and scrimmages that have been open. I haven't see Marcus. If he's sure that the two freshmen should be in the mix at starting QB surely he's seen them. My question is, when?
Mike i understand that. but what Marcus is saying is the QB job was never really open in the first place. say's no way you can tell who the best QB is because you really have not gave anyone a chance.have A. Allen or Peavey gotten any reps with the first team to see what they can do? Marcus also says you can tell nothing about who is the best QB when the team is not hitting like in a real game. this man has lived it. he is just not shooting from the hip.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: steefhog on April 14, 2014, 06:51:04 pm
Probably regret this.

But who...is Marcus?

I think you are correct - you are going to regret asking that.  ;D

forrest city joe

Probably regret this.

But who...is Marcus?
Marcus Elliot, ex Razorback football player.

WilsonHog

You know what it would take for me to criticize Bielema on the handling of his quarterbacks?

I would have to know everything that he knows.

If he has broken down tape of every practice, I would need to do the same - at the same level of expertise that he and his staff have done.

If he has watched 500 reps in practice, I would need to see those same reps.

Otherwise, what we have is an opinion versus an informed opinion.

Those two are not the same.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 14, 2014, 06:53:22 pm
You know what it would take for me to criticize Bielema on the handling of his quarterbacks?

If he has broken down tape of every practice, I would need to do the same - at the same level of expertise that he and his staff have done.

Exactly. How so many overlook this fact is beyond me.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Probably regret this.

But who...is Marcus?
Marcus Elliot who loved Hootie?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:53:07 pm
Marcus Elliot, ex Razorback football player.

And while being an ex-Razorback, this makes him an expert in all things Razorback now?
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

I was gonna make this exact same point, but was waiting to find out who Marcus is, just in case it was an alias for Coach Chaney.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:52:12 pm
Mike i understand that. but what Marcus is saying is the QB job was never really open in the first place. say's no way you can tell who the best QB is because you really have not gave anyone a chance.have A. Allen or Peavey gotten any reps with the first team to see what they can do? Marcus also says you can tell nothing about who is the best QB when the team is not hitting like in a real game. this man has lived it. he is just not shooting from the hip.

I love your enthusiasm Joe, but if that is what Marcus said then I don't have a high opinion of his knowledge. Now I did not hear him speak, so I am not 100% sure you are quoting him correctly. So if he said that then there is so much wrong with what he said.

Take the part about cannot tell with no hitting. Well if that is the case then a lot of coaches across the nation are making terrible decisions during Spring. They usually have a #1 QB coming out of Spring, but not a guaranteed starter. The starters are not usually chosen until late fall camp. Marcus should know this.

Steef

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2014, 06:55:38 pm
And while being an ex-Razorback, this makes him an expert in all things Razorback now?

I'm an ex chess player, but I'm not gonna tell Kasparov what to do.

forrest city joe

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2014, 06:55:38 pm
Does not make him an expert. but he has lived it as an ex Razorback. so when he speaks, i listen.

Wants2Win

Wow. Just wow.

ricepig

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:58:57 pm
Does not make him an expert. but he has lived it as an ex Razorback. so when he speaks, i listen.

So, all it takes is for one to be an ex-Razorback for you to listen? Or does their opinion coinciding with yours enter into it?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:58:57 pm

It doesn't mean that he has a clue about what is happening now given that he was under a different HC and a different philosophy. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. But his is certainly not the last word on what is happening now since there has been a major change in leadership of the program since he has been involved.
Go Hogs Go!

Wants2Win

Love some of this logic.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 14, 2014, 07:05:27 pm
Love some of this logic.

Beats the "logic" of an uninformed opinion.

MuskogeeHogFan

Love some of this logic.

Not particularly fond of some of yours that is chock full of negativity in the absence of reason.
Go Hogs Go!

forrest city joe

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 14, 2014, 07:04:21 pm
It doesn't mean that he has a clue about what is happening now given that he was under a different HC and a different philosophy. Maybe he does, maybe he dioesn't. But his is certainly not the last word on what is happening now since there has been a major change in leadership of the program since he has been involved.
I agree that the current coaches know more than any of us do. but that does not mean Marcus can'tgive his opinion based on the time he did spend as a college football player. he said flat out that to shut the QB job down 2 years in the row in the spring is Ridiculous!. i did not make this up, he said it.

nextlevel

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 07:14:36 pm
I agree that the current coaches know more than any of us do. but that does not mean Marcus can'tgive his opinion based on the time he did spend as a college football player. he said flat out that to shut the QB job down 2 years in the row in the spring is Ridiculous!. i did not make this up, he said it.

To think that a freshman is a better option over a junior is ridiculous as well.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

ricepig

It is if there isn't someone better.

Pickwick Hog

Love some of this logic.

LMFAO! Good Lord. You...speaking of logic?
Negative people need drama like oxygen. Stay positive and take their breath away.

MuskogeeHogFan

He played ball here in the 80's and is far removed from the philosophy of now. And, he had nothing to do with QB's, then or now. I appreciate his opinion, but unless he has coached QB's in the last 20 years, maybe not so much. Love him and appreciate his contribution but that doesn't make his opinion valuable with regard to this particular position.
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 06:28:55 pm
Was just listening to Marcus Elliot on DTS. and he made this statement in i (Quote.)that base on what we have seen. Shutting down the QB job right now and naming B. Allen the starter is ridiculous. Marcus is a fair man. wonder why he feels so strong about this? as a fan sitting here at home, i have given my opinion on this. but to hear an ex-Razorback who is close to the program say it, is surprising.sunshine Rick disagreed, but Marcus stuck to his guns.

I think you're in the wrong thread.

forrest city joe

Quote from: nextlevel on April 14, 2014, 07:22:03 pm
To think that a freshman is a better option over a junior is ridiculous as well.
It depends. it should not matter if it's a freshmen or a senior. the best player should play.(i have to believe that our coaches think B. Allen is the best) but to make the blanket statement that anyone should start just because they have been there the longest is not right. what Marcus was saying is he does not think what B. Allen has done so far is enough to be shutting down the QB Competition this spring for the 2nd year in a row.

WilsonHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 07:32:24 pm
It depends. it should not matter if it's a freshmen or a senior. the best player should play.(i have to believe that our coaches] think B. Allen is the best) but to make the blanket statement that anyone should start just because they have been there the longest is not right. what Marcus was saying is he does not think what B. Allen has done so far is enough to be shutting down the QB Competition this spring for the 2nd year in a row.

Did Marcus happen to specify what Brandon has done so far that he doesn't believe is sufficient?

Wants2Win

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 14, 2014, 07:36:07 pm
Did Marcus happen to specify what Brandon has done so far that he doesn't believe is sufficient?
Last season.. Would be my guess.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Tom Bennett on April 14, 2014, 07:36:07 pm
Yep!  he is not a fan of his talents.  i did not like what i saw last year either. but i am hoping he has improved, and plays a lot better this year. i am in wait and see mode. Marcus not think Brandon is an sec QB.

LZH

I rarely miss an opportunity to take a shot at our beloved leader, but this QB situation has very little to do with him.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 14, 2014, 07:46:01 pm
Last season.. Would be my guess.
Yep. Marcus also said we heard the same things about Allen last year when they shut down the QB Competition. he is not a fan of B. Allen.

nextlevel

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 07:46:25 pm
Yep!  he is not a fan of his talents.  i did not like what i saw last year either. but i am hoping he has improved, and plays a lot better this year. i am in wait and see mode. Marcus not think Brandon is an sec QB.

So what does that say about the current level of the QBs behind him on the depth chart?

All the staff has done is clear the way for AA and RP to challenge him for the spot.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

ricepig

Nothing drives ratings like a coaching search or QB battle, so??

nextlevel

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 07:49:24 pm

I guess, the QB play will have less to do with the team's chances of success on offense compared to the O-line, but who wants to discuss tackles, guards, or centers?

BTW: Arron Murray could not beat out Joe Cox or whatever that ginger's name was when Murray was a TF. Didn't mean Murray couldn't develop into an all-SEC QB.

ell oh ell

It appears from what I saw and heard coming from BB's mouth in the post press conference that he is pretty set that BA is the man and its not close.
When you consider that Derby appeared second but losing ground a week ago in the QB race and he's now a TE should tell us that 2nd and 3rd are not very good right now.  I hope we can build a good 2nd QB by the first game.  The #2 could find himself starting if BA should get injured or BA has any difficulty.

And before anyone asks what difficulty I might be thinking about, its throwing right at a WRs backbone and hitting the trailing D back right between the shoulder blades where it bounces into another D-backs hands for a pick or some such play.  That actually happened in a game last year.  We finally get a WR behind the coverage just a bit and we wing it straight at his back instead of leading him down the field.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 07:49:24 pm

Nothing screws up a conversation about the Hogs like Drive Time Sports.  That's FCJ's first mistake right there.

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 14, 2014, 07:52:06 pm
Nothing screws up a conversation about the Hogs like Drive Time Sports.  That's FCJ's first mistake right there.

Mentioning any sports radio is a mistake, but that's another 50 page thread for another day.

forrest city joe

Quote from: nextlevel on April 14, 2014, 07:49:08 pm
So what does that say about the current level of the QBs behind him on the depth chart?

All the staff has done is clear the way for AA and RP to challenge him for the spot.
I am not saying you guys are wrong. time is going to prove one way or the other if our coaches are making the right decision.clearly they think they are. so we shall see.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 14, 2014, 07:55:59 pm
Mentioning any sports radio is a mistake, but that's another 50 page thread for another day.

I'm just saying that Marcus Elliott wasn't, isn't, nor ever will be a QB or a QB coach.  And Rainwater, who I have known for almost 30 years and I like an awful lot, actually started his radio career selling ads for K-Lite.  In other words, their opinion on this isn't any more 'expert' than any of ours are.

forrest city joe

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 14, 2014, 07:59:50 pm
I'm just saying that Marcus Elliott wasn't, isn't, nor ever will be a QB or a QB coach.  And Rainwater, who I have known for almost 30 years and I like an awful lot, actually started his radio career selling ads for K-Lite.  In other words, their opinion on this isn't any more 'expert' than any of ours are.
That could be said for any reporter or fan that never played big time college football.if all we are going to do is take coaches word for it. what's the point of TV,Radio, message forums or reporters ?

LZH

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 08:05:50 pm
That could be said for any reporter or fan that never played big time college football.if all we are going to do is take coaches word for it. what's the point of TV,Radio, message forums or reporters ?

Money.

forrest city joe

LZH

nextlevel

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 14, 2014, 08:05:50 pm

Some of the brightest minds in the game did not play "big time college football"...

ell oh ell

LZH

Don't get me wrong, I used to listen to Drive Time Sports, too.  But it got to where you had the same guys calling in over and over, and the really interesting topics - like some of those on here - they shy away from.  Plus, the guy that does the high school football predictions drives me up a flippin' wall.

forrest city joe

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 14, 2014, 08:10:22 pm
Ad sales (DTS).
So Marcus does not believe what he is saying? he just saying it to get  ratings? he can't really believe by B. Allen is not an SEC QB ?