Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little girl who befriended MSU player has died.

Started by DeltaBoy, April 09, 2014, 10:12:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://collegebasketball.ap.org/stuttgartdailyleader/article/8-year-old-girl-befriended-hoops-star-dies

DETROIT (AP) — Lacey Holsworth, the 8-year-old girl with cancer who befriended Michigan State basketball star Adreian Payne and inspired the team to make her happy by playing well, has died, the girl's father said.

One of the best stories of this years March Madness.  RIP kid.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hog1966

Times like this when I have zero problems applauding a member of another team.

Glad he helped bring happiness to Lacey during the latter part of her life.

Arky

gmarv

god bless the little children, i,m sure shes in a better place now.

Hogs run wild

We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Danny J

Damn....that is terrible. I remember her story from even earlier in the season.

nextlevel

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 09, 2014, 12:53:57 pm
Damn....that is terrible. I remember her story from even earlier in the season.

She was made part of the show during the slam dunk contest by Payne.

You could tell it was a genuine story/relationship making it very easy to root for Payne and Michigan St.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Danny J

Quote from: nextlevel on April 09, 2014, 01:10:00 pm
She was made part of the show during the slam dunk contest by Payne.

You could tell it was a genuine story/relationship making it very easy to root for Payne and Michigan St.
I know I rooted for him. They had a special bond. Payne is a astounding young man and I hope he goes on to great things in the NBA. He is a class act.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Prayers for Lacey and her family.  Thank you Mr. Payne.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Delicious~Dreams

Heartbreakingly sad....Prayers for her family and all who knew her. 

LL COOL HOG

I took a moment to think about Lacey and Payne today. She looked so happy during the dunk contest, it's tough knowing that she is now gone. Every third Thursday of the month while we are at the Hemoc clinic we see these young children with bald heads, weak bodies just light up at either a favorite nurse or a therapy dog that has came to visit. These kids exhibit more strength then a lot of adults.

These young patients do not care about your race, income or political beliefs. They just want to be a normal kid and  survive.

root_hawg

A great story of how love can be found in any occasion

urkillnmesmalls

I saw that this morning.  Sad.  Hopefully it will bring perspective to the people who were associated with her during her short lifetime, and they will be better off because of her courage and will.  It's hard to imagine having to bury a child that age, and I think you have to cling to the impact they can make in such a short time to get through it.  Obviously, she made a huge impact on several people. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Nosboar Accubond

Broke my heart to learn this... I remember her story from early on and found a new respect for Payne. May she rest in peace and God be with her family and friends.
WPS

jbcarol

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 2h
I am jumping with JOY / THANK YOU THANK YOU. - We have the 250 K for @AdorableLacey AWESOME BABY...
http://instagram.com/p/oEXD8qgrS4/

Dick Vitale ‏@DickieV 3h
Only 2 more hours to DONATE in memory of @AdorableLacey @jimmyv.org/lacey http://www.dickvitaleonline.com

QuoteMore than 870 people will be in attendance at the Sarasota (Fla.) Ritz-Carlton on Friday night...

We will have many inspirational stories of youngsters that have beaten cancer. There will also be a presentation of a grant in honor of Lacey Holsworth, the young lady who meant so much to Michigan State basketball before losing her battle with cancer. Coach Tom Izzo, as well as Lacey's parents, will be in attendance.

There will be more than 70 celebrities from the world of sports there. Three special coaches — Nick Saban of Alabama, Mike Brey of Notre Dame and Tom Crean of Indiana — will be honorees.

There will be another grant in the name of Eddie Livingston, a youngster from our area who also lost his battle with cancer.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Matt Jones ‏@KySportsRadio 14h
Not a better guy than @DickieV. Listening him to speak about pediatric cancer research is inspiring pic.twitter.com/d1rmm2ZzjE

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Adam Himmelsbach ‏@AdamHimmelsbach  May 23
Column on 3 sisters & a touching gesture at Churchill Downs to honor Lacey, 8-yr-old Mich St fan who died of cancer: http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/columnists/himmelsbach/2014/05/23/adam-himmelsbach-remembering-lacey-racehorse ...

QuoteGreg James' three young daughters are college basketball fans just like their father. They attend Louisville games with him and watch on television with him, and it's usually just so fun. Then this spring they saw a story about an 8-year-old Michigan girl who loved basketball just like them. Except this girl was dying from cancer.

"Certainly, my daughters could identify with Lacey," Greg James said. "I could see it really hit home."

What happened next made Greg James proud, and it made him hug his girls a little tighter. They approached him after Lacey's death and said they wanted her to be remembered. They didn't want people to forget.

The James family, which owns racehorses on a 57-acre farm east of Middletown, happened to have a young filly that was preparing for its first race. James had planned to name her Interesting's Bull. But Ericka asked if they could name her Lacey the Spartan instead.

"I just felt bad so for her family," Ericka said. "I wanted to name our horse in her honor."

Greg James left Churchill Downs encouraged about Lacey the Spartan's future. He said that if there are eventually winnings, he would look into donating a portion to a charity in Lacey Holsworth's name.

But this isn't about winning and losing as much as it's about a simple, touching gesture. It's about three sisters who wanted to find a way to remember and honor a brave young girl they'd never even met.

DeltaBoy

This story a great one to see even Nick be so kind, it proves NS got a heart for kids but lazy FB players not so much.

RIP Kid your in a better place.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.