Derby practiced at TE yesterday

Started by lefty08, April 09, 2014, 07:34:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 09:34:38 am
I did.  Over and over again.

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 09:34:38 am
I did.  Over and over again.

For whatever reason, moving Derby seems to be in his and the team's best interest.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hawgzinbowlz

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3973688

An excellent athlete that has been at different positions, including LB. He would certainly give us needed depth at TE.
If he ends up being our back-up QB I'm hoping he's improved along with BA.
He's a Hog trying to help the Hogs be successful.

" GO HOGS "

Kevin

love the move. maybe he can help there.

imo, every rep this spring at qb  should have been:
brandon
austin
rafe
duwop (he is probably headed to a new position)

after last season, every rep given to derby was a waste of time. if brandon gets hurt again, i would rather play a redshirt freshman, than a senior, especially when the senior does not give you a better chance to win.

imo, that is the case with derby at qb
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on April 09, 2014, 09:46:09 am
Being a hog fan never sucks. That's the problem with most "fans"  The hard times make the good times that much sweeter. True its always more fun to win, but being a Hog never sucks

That's what we are talking about
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2014, 09:38:00 am
It was a troll tweet..........

So Derby isn't working at tight end?  ??? ???

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 09:15:30 am
Maybe the staff should question me and my buddies more.

ROFL. Good lord. Armed with so little, you shoot awfully high.
[CENSORED]!

chitwnhog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 08:33:53 am
I was wondering how long that would take. Nothing but constant griping on this board demanding that Derby be moved so he doesn't take away reps from the younger QBs. Now we can have another 20 page thread on how the coaches moved Derby to the wrong position.

Lolz...get em Mike.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 08:39:54 am

Mike your edit is perfect. THAT's what I should have been trying to say.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PygmalionEffect

I was wondering how long that would take. Nothing but constant griping on this board demanding that Derby be moved so he doesn't take away reps from the younger QBs. Now we can have another 20 page thread on how the coaches moved Derby to the wrong position.

Although the poster didn't come back on here to correct you, I'm 99% sure the LB comment was made in gest.

So you're critical of the posters on here that made the observation that maybe Derby should be moved to a different position other than QB, then afterwards the HEAD COACH, not confirmed yet, but apparently mentions to media that he is going to try Derby at TE.

To me, that makes those posters on here look like they've got a clue about what is going on with this team, predicting a personnel change needing to be made and then the HC announces that very change...

But yet again, you try to twist it into another opportunity to point out how dumb and emotional the posters on here are?

I still cannot for the life of me figure out your continued motivation to demean your audience.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Tony Sloprano

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 09, 2014, 12:27:21 pm
Although the poster didn't come back on here to correct you, I'm 99% sure the LB comment was made in gest.

So you're critical of the posters on here that made the observation that maybe Derby should be moved to a different position other than QB, then afterwards the HEAD COACH, not confirmed yet, but apparently mentions to media that he is going to try Derby at TE.

To me, that makes those posters on here look like they've got a clue about what is going on with this team, predicting a personnel change needing to be made and then the HC announces that very change...

But yet again, you try to twist it into another opportunity to point out how dumb and emotional the posters on here are?

I still cannot for the life of me figure out your continued motivation to demean your audience.
Didn't you know that talking into a microphone automatically makes you smarter than anyone else on the planet ?

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: cshivley1 on April 09, 2014, 08:38:32 am
I don't think he was griping. In my opinion it is irrelevant what position Derby is moved to. He's not a D-1 football player. Not bashing him. Just stating the truth.

Apparently he is since he has and is playing for the Hogs. Just stating the real truth.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 09, 2014, 12:27:21 pm

To me, that makes those posters on here look like they've got a clue about what is going on with this team

"To me" is key to your enlightenment.

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 09, 2014, 12:44:01 pm

I've probably forgotten more about football than your concussed brain is capable of holding.
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Tony Sloprano on April 09, 2014, 12:32:28 pm
Didn't you know that talking into a microphone automatically makes you smarter than anyone else on the planet ?

Unfortunately, he forgot to turn it on.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 01:06:04 pm
Irwin, quit straight up lying on the radio.  There might be one post in this thread that could be construed as "complaining" that he was moved to TE instead of LB.

Wildhog are you capable of reading a thread and then bringing that info to the next thread of a similar subject? Because that is what Mike is doing. He wasn't just talking about this one thread.

Talk about being thick.  :-\
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Wildhog

Quote from: locusbug on April 09, 2014, 01:17:58 pm
Wildhog are you capable of reading a thread and then bringing that info to the next thread of a similar subject? Because that is what Mike is doing. He wasn't just talking about this one thread.

Talk about being thick.  :-\

Uh, I've been here, too.  Show me this outrage.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on April 09, 2014, 12:44:01 pm

Guess you just didn't feel man enough to take on my entire post huh?

Felt like you needed to cut it up into smaller pieces so you wouldn't get choked?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Tony Sloprano on April 09, 2014, 12:32:28 pm
And I thought posting opinions on the Internet under a fake name made somebody smarter than anyone else on the planet. I stand corrected.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 01:18:58 pm

Here is just one thread. All you have to do is look as there are more.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=565906.0

Delicious~Dreams

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 01:20:27 pm
And I thought posting opinions on the Internet under a fake name made somebody smarter than anyone else on the planet. I stand corrected.

That's true...cause everyone knows you can't lie on the internet. ;) (:

ChitownHawg

Some of you guys need to back off with your anonymous crap toward the media people that post on here. About two years some decided to go after one of the media posting here and he decided to stop posting rather than take the crap. What we lost was someone who has inside daily access to the program.

Which is a lot more than any of us bring to the conversation.

Mike calls you out and you cry like a baby. In other threads you make similar remarks about players and coaches. Then when some of us call you out what do you do? That's right cry like a baby. You get on here crying about mods stopping you from stating you opinion and then you trash others when they state theirs.

Talk about being hypocrites.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 09, 2014, 01:10:59 pm
Irwin is becoming the biggest troll on this board.
Based on what I read there are plenty of people posting on this board who don't think Bielema and his staff are a bunch of goobers who don't know which player to put where.

So my opinion on that differs from yours and I express it just like you express what you think. But I'm a toll and you're not?

Carl Lazlo

A piece about how a qb looked good 'under pressure' while the defense is NOT allowed to hit said qb? That type of stuff is beyond vents and rumors. That stuff is trash can worthy. Makes us look dumb as a fan base.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: footballmaniac on April 09, 2014, 01:34:49 pm
A piece about how a qb looked good 'under pressure' while the defense is NOT allowed to hit said qb? That type of stuff is beyond vents and rumors. That stuff is trash can worthy. Makes us look dumb as a fan base.
And the alternative would be what? Ignore spring football because you don't think anything worth reporting happens.

No college coach I've covered since Danny Ford allowed the QBs to be tackled to the ground in practices or scrimmages.

They do have a plan for simulating a game. For Arkansas that system this spring includes throwing a variety of blitzes and stunts at the offense. It's not a game but I totally disagree with your assessment  that it's "trash can" worthy.

There are reporters all over this country covering spring football at various schools. They don't ignore scrimmages just because the QB is not getting slammed to the ground.

DeltaBoy

Thanks Mike for sharing your insight on the Hogs.   I deeply respect your opinion even when I disagree with you. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 09, 2014, 02:12:00 pm
Thanks Mike for sharing your insight on the Hogs.   I deeply respect your opinion even when I disagree with you.
Thank you and understand that when I post my work at the top of this forum that's my job. Mixing it up with you guys in various threads is something I do because I like to argue about sports.

I don't think I'm better or smarter. I'm just posting what I think.

I call my bother up on the phone a couple of times a month and argue about college football. He's a Texas Longhorns fan. You can imagine how that goes.

But he's 54 and I'm 65 and we haven't killed each other yet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 02:03:08 pm
And the alternative would be what? Ignore spring football because you don't think anything worth reporting happens.

No college coach I've covered since Danny Ford allowed the QBs to be tackled to the ground in practices or scrimmages.

They do have a plan for simulating a game. For Arkansas that system this spring includes throwing a variety of blitzes and stunts at the offense. It's not a game but I totally disagree with your assessment  that it's "trash can" worthy.

There are reporters all over this country covering spring football at various schools. They don't ignore scrimmages just because the QB is not getting slammed to the ground.

The funny thing is IF the QB was allowed to be slammed to the ground in the spring and got hurt then some fans would be screaming at the top of their lungs about how stupid it was to allow it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 02:19:10 pm
Thank you and understand that when I post my work at the top of this forum that's my job. Mixing it up with you guys in various threads is something I do because I like to argue about sports.

I don't think I'm better or smarter. I'm just posting what I think.

I call my bother up on the phone a couple of times a month and argue about college football. He's a Texas Longhorns fan. You can imagine how that goes.

But he's 54 and I'm 65 and we haven't killed each other yet.

Unfortunately we can't disown our family just because they root for the shorthorns.  If we did, I wouldn't have much family left from my mom's side!

Großer Kriegschwein

I think people say LB because he had prior experience there and we were kinda lacking there the last couple years.

Well at least I didn't see anyone volunteer him for pouring Gatorade. Count the small miracles Mike, one post at a time.
This is my non-signature signature.

PonderinHog

ChitownHawg

Quote from: lefty08 on April 09, 2014, 08:24:45 am
yeah im aware of it, didn't know there was a huge difference. but hes right, this is a recruiting board. this just happened to be the one I already had pulled up on the laptop. I hope the mods will forgive me for my stupidity

I don't know they have put down posters for a lot less.  ;)

Fayettechill14

+1

Fort Dweller

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 01:18:58 pm

You got Biggus and Irwin.  Top water?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Fort Dweller

No fake name here.  Can't help that my parents were unimaginative hippies.
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Fort Dweller on April 09, 2014, 05:48:33 pm
No fake name here.  Can't help that my parents were unimaginative hippies.
I'm still Ponderin'.

MissippHog

Eventually Derby will drop a pass or miss a block at TE and some know-it-all on here will claim it was a stupid decision to move him to TE because he's a QB.   :P

HogFanatic

Quote from: MissippHog on April 09, 2014, 05:54:49 pm
Eventually Derby will drop a pass or miss a block at TE and some know-it-all on here will claim it was a stupid decision to move him to TE because he's a QB.   :P

I wouldn't be surprised to hear someone say he should play safety.

Hey, if he doesn't cut it at TE, maybe Bielema can move him to corner.

Seriously though...I'm guessing the coaching staff figures him more of a pass catching type tight end than a jumbo set run blocker?
It may work well. He should pick up route running with ease.

jcworm

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 09, 2014, 08:24:08 am
Forget TE, can he play LB?
TE is just an easier transition because as a QB he knows the TE assignments on every play. He only has 1 year left putting him on defense gives him no chance to play because he would have to learn everything from scratch.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: jcworm on April 09, 2014, 07:23:47 pm
TE is just an easier transition because as a QB he knows the TE assignment. He only got 1 year left putting him on defense gives him no chance to play because he would have to learn everything from scratch.

Solid reasoning.

stacking

he's an athlete. love that BB is trying to find a place to utilize him. he does have an arm too so the threat of some versatile packages is there too.

BA to AJ to HH TD i would flip my lid if we see that WPS

razorbacksnum1

While I agree that flipping to TE is easier than LB doesn't mean this will be an easy transition. I don't see Derby cracking the lineup at TE either.

bphi11ips

Quote from: jcworm on April 09, 2014, 07:23:47 pm
TE is just an easier transition because as a QB he knows the TE assignments on every play. He only has 1 year left putting him on defense gives him no chance to play because he would have to learn everything from scratch.

Probably true.  On the other hand, QB's make great linebackers for a lot of the same reasons they make good QB's.  Instincts.  High football I.Q.  Let's face it.  Arkansas needs a force in the middle of the defense.  Someone who can lead and intimidate opponents.  Brooks Ellis looks like the best prospect in years, but he's a true sophomore.  He'll look different when's a junior and senior.  He'll get a lot of experience this year, but if A.J. Derby can help himself and Ellis develop, that seems like an ideal marraige of needs with talent.  Watch Derby's high school highlights.  There's a reason many projected him as a linebacker.  The guy is big, fast and LOVES to hit people.  Isn't that the reason we love to play and watch?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

urkillnmesmalls

If we're down to three TE's on the roster, and we use two tight end sets pretty frequently, then I can't see where moving Derby to TE is a bad move.  If we have one more TE go down, then we could be scrambling to get another one prepped.  Maybe it's better to get Derby in that position now just in case.  Maybe he will surprise some people and earn some reps.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

razorback44

Quote from: StevenW1976 on April 09, 2014, 02:40:09 pm
I think people say LB because he had prior experience there and we were kinda lacking there the last couple years.

Well at least I didn't see anyone volunteer him for pouring Gatorade. Count the small miracles Mike, one post at a time.

Well he has significantly more experience at QB than LB and people don't want him there. May as well give him a try at a a completely new position.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: razorback44 on April 10, 2014, 12:07:28 am
Well he has significantly more experience at QB than LB and people don't want him there. May as well give him a try at a a completely new position.

I would just like to see him contribute somewhere. Fine athlete. I have no opinion really aside from that. Was just agreeing with Mike.

Most people on here (and I'm not referring to you) "would bitch if they were hung with a new rope", as my grandmother used to say.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: StevenW1976 on April 10, 2014, 12:21:47 am
I would just like to see him contribute somewhere. Fine athlete. I have no opinion really aside from that. Was just agreeing with Mike.

Most people on here (and I'm not referring to you) "would bitch if they were hung with a new rope", as my grandmother used to say.
Is it just my imagination or are we becoming much less creative in the way we express ourselves these days. All those cool sayings I remember from the older generation when I was a kid are going away.

I have not heard that "new rope" expression in 40 or 50 years.

When I was around 12 years old the first transistor radios went on sale. They were too expensive for a kid like me but I wanted one in the worst way. A year later were were playing a 7th grade football game on the road. A kid on the bus had a transistor radio playing. I asked him several questions about it and he ended up selling it to me for five bucks.

It stopped working after about a week. I was complaining about it to my mom and she said, "That's what you get for buying a pig in a poke."

I didn't know what the hell she was talking about. So I asked my grandmother and she explained it to me.

If that had happened to one of my kids I'd probably would have said something boring like, "Be more careful next time."

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 10, 2014, 08:54:06 am
Is it just my imagination or are we becoming much less creative in the way we express ourselves these days. All those cool sayings I remember from the older generation when I was a kid are going away.

I have not heard that "new rope" expression in 40 or 50 years.

When I was around 12 years old the first transistor radios went on sale. They were too expensive for a kid like me but I wanted one in the worst way. A year later were were playing a 7th grade football game on the road. A kid on the bus had a transistor radio playing. I asked him several questions about it and he ended up selling it to me for five bucks.

It stopped working after about a week. I was complaining about it to my mom and she said, "That's what you get for buying a pig in a poke."

I didn't know what the hell she was talking about. So I asked my grandmother and she explained it to me.

If that had happened to one of my kids I'd probably would have said something boring like, "Be more careful next time."

It's one of the things I miss the most about my grandparents.  My parents still throw one out every now and then, but it seemed like my grandparents had one for almost every situation.  One of the last ones I recall was from my 84 year old Grandmother.  I was there mowing the grass and she asked me to clean her gutters.  It was late spring.  I cleaned them, and went inside to grab something to drink. 

She handed me an extra $10 and said, "With summer coming, you won't have to lick that calf again."  I had to ask my dad what that meant and he said it meant that now that the leaves and things that the water washes into the gutters was gone, the dry summer would prevent me from having to do it again.  He said she used to use that one on him every time she asked him to do something, and he didn't do it right or didn't do it completely.  "Get out there and lick that calf again."  It was representative of something you should only have to do once, if you do it right.   

I really miss those, even though about half the time I had to ask someone what they meant.   ;D
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Mike Irwin

A few years ago I actually looked up some of that stuff on google just to see where it came from.

"A pig in a poke," goes back to medieval times. In those days people carried various goods around in cloth sacks called pokes. It was not uncommon for hucksters to approach somebody on a road and offer to sell them a suckling pig for a ridiculously low price. They'd show them the poke claiming it contained the pig. Actually it was full of rocks. In some cases people were so stupid that they'd buy the "pig in a poke" without looking in the sack.

Sounds crazy but that's how it was explained on google search.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 10, 2014, 09:25:03 am
A few years ago I actually looked up some of that stuff on google just to see where it came from.

"A pig in a poke," goes back to medieval times. In those days people carried various goods around in cloth sacks called pokes. It was not uncommon for hucksters to approach somebody on a road and offer to sell them a suckling pig for a ridiculously low price. They'd show them the poke claiming it contained the pig. Actually it was full of rocks. In some cases people were so stupid that they'd buy the "pig in a poke" without looking in the sack.

Sounds crazy but that's how it was explained on google search.

I've got a book titled "Heaven's to Betsy!" and it covers a lot of what the book coins as "colorful sayings."  It's a paper back, and I think you'd get a kick out of it. 

I've got another one titled, "Why You Say It," that's a hard back, and it's good too.  Both have a lot of the same ones.  I just wish I would have had them 20 years ago so I would have known what my Grandparents meant!