Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Derby practiced at TE yesterday

Started by lefty08, April 09, 2014, 07:34:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

lefty08

Saw twee t today that according to Rivals, Derby has been practicing at TE as well as QB. I don't have a subscription to Rivals, so looking for feedback here if some of you do.
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

ricepig

First, probably should have put this in MMQB, and I saw the tweet, said he practiced yesterday at TE.

lefty08

Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

sowmonella

It's the Monday Morning Quarterback forum. The first one on the top.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

870hogfan

EastMemphisHog

LZH

870hogfan

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: 870hogfan on April 09, 2014, 08:06:04 am
According to Danny West.

From today's Wholehogsports/Demozette.

QB derby
It appeared redshirt freshman quarterback Austin Allen is making strides to tighten the gap between he and second-teamer AJ Derby.
"I think that Austin is making progress with every practice," Coach Bret Bielema said. "He's a kid that flourishes in a game-like situation. He's got a nice arm.

jgphillips3

lefty08

yeah im aware of it, didn't know there was a huge difference. but hes right, this is a recruiting board. this just happened to be the one I already had pulled up on the laptop. I hope the mods will forgive me for my stupidity

lefty08

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 09, 2014, 08:24:08 am
Forget TE, can he play LB?

if he could he would. coaches specialize in these types of decisions. Im actually not worried about our LBs. I think we have the guys there, and I believe this new DC will make the appropriate changes to get the right guys on the field

Mike Irwin

Quote from: jgphillips3 on April 09, 2014, 08:24:08 am
Forget TE, can he play LB?
I was wondering how long that would take. Nothing but constant griping on this board demanding that Derby be moved so he doesn't take away reps from the younger QBs. Now we can have another 20 page thread on how the coaches moved Derby to the wrong position.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: lefty08 on April 09, 2014, 08:26:53 am
if he could he would. coaches specialize in these types of decisions. Im actually not worried about our LBs. I think we have the guys there, and I believe this new DC will make the appropriate changes to get the right guys on the field

True. But it is amazing sometimes how coaches have a guy playing out of what should be their best position. Sometimes it is out of necessity and sometimes it is due to questionable coaching decisions and sometimes it is the player bering stubborn. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

PorkRinds

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 08:34:40 am
True. But it is amazing sometimes how coaches have a guy playing out of what should be their best position. Sometimes it is out of necessity and sometimes it is due to questionable coaching decisions and sometimes it is the player bering stubborn.

Examples?

IBleedRazorbackRed

Examples please? And nutt doesn't count. There's a long list of guys he misused.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 08:33:53 am
I was wondering how long that would take. Nothing but constant griping on this board demanding that Derby be moved so he doesn't take away reps from the younger QBs. Now we can have another 20 page thread on how the coaches moved Derby to the wrong position.

I don't think he was griping. In my opinion it is irrelevant what position Derby is moved to. He's not a D-1 football player. Not bashing him. Just stating the truth.

Mike Irwin

True. But it is amazing sometimes how coaches have a guy playing out of what should be certain fans assume is their best position. Sometimes it is out of necessity and sometimes it is due to questionable coaching decisions and sometimes it is the player bering stubborn.

PorkRinds

Quote from: cshivley1 on April 09, 2014, 08:38:32 am
I don't think he was griping. In my opinion it is irrelevant what position Derby is moved to. He's not a D-1 football player. Not bashing him. Just stating the truth.

I went and checked out his rivals page, and it, ironically, said back when he was coming out of high school that he has a chance to be "an all American tight end" but wants to play QB.  So since all you've seen of him is his horrible QB skills, I'd say you may have pulled the trigger a bit quick.  He's a fine athlete, just maybe not a QB.

Mike Irwin

Well then by all means start a thread on how Derby should not be playing any position.

Just curious though, you've probably seen the some of the seven quarters that Derby played QB for Arkansas. At what other positions have you seen him perform that truthfully demonstrates he's not a D-1 football player. I mean, if it's the truth there should be some evidence of it.

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hawgon

If they were going to play Derby, I never understood why they tried to make him a bad impersonation of a drop back passer.  The kid is an athlete and he has decent wheels.  They should have had a package for him that allowed more read option and all the stuff that a running QB who can pass a little can do.  If they had, he might have had a bit more success.  Heck, he might have even offered a nice change of pace from time to time.

Wildhog

Quote from: 870hogfan on April 09, 2014, 08:54:33 am

Lol You got your wish. I knew AA would eventually pass Derby.

Yeah, AA passing Derby was expected.  I just didn't expect AJ to take so many reps this spring.  Glad that's over, now. 

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

And your posting is not up to Hogville standards. Not bashing just telling the truth.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

LZH

Quote from: Hawgon on April 09, 2014, 08:57:42 am
If they were going to play Derby, I never understood why they tried to make him a bad impersonation of a drop back passer.  The kid is an athlete and he has decent wheels.  They should have had a package for him that allowed more read option and all the stuff that a running QB who can pass a little can do.  If they had, he might have had a bit more success.  Heck, he might have even offered a nice change of pace from time to time.

When he was put in the Ole Miss game on 3rd and 6 in a spread-option formation and proceeded to run something resembling a mid-line option keeper, I thought that was the dumbest offensive move that coaching staff made all year.  They did nothing to disguise it or lead up to it.  It just seemed to come out of someone's arse. 

It wasn't Derby's fault, of course....he did what he was told to do.  Fwiw, I didn't wanna leave that out.

pfrg999

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 08:45:33 am
Well then by all means start a thread on how Derby should not be playing any position.

Just curious though, you've probably seen the some of the seven quarters that Derby played QB for Arkansas. At what other positions have you seen him perform that truthfully demonstrates he's not a D-1 football player. I mean, if it's the truth there should be some evidence of it.

Mike Irwin just Kicks Butt!!!!
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 09, 2014, 09:02:58 am
When he was put in the Ole Miss game on 3rd and 6 in a spread-option formation and proceeded to run something resembling a mid-line option keeper, I thought that was the dumbest offensive move that coaching staff made all year.  They did nothing to disguise it or lead up to it.  It just seemed to come out of someone's arse. 

It wasn't Derby's fault, of course....he did what he was told to do.  Fwiw, I didn't wanna leave that out.

This, he wasn't any type of option or running QB, BA ran a lot in high school, and he only needs to run when his life depends on it.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on April 09, 2014, 08:57:42 am

This ain't Xbox. Playstation.

I think people try to make the spread too simplified. As in let's have a package where a tradition pro style offense runs a spread.

I liken it to the Wild Hog that Malzhan installed. Dmac made it work and others began to copy it. The problem was I don't think they saw the intricacy of it in that Felix being the motion guy made it a true triple threat play. Everyone else just had the RB make a run-throw read, and left out the motion guy.

Our QBs, RBs, Oline, and WRs were learning Chaney's new system. Do I need to bring in the stats to show how they struggled to learn it? Yet, you suggest they should have also included a completely different scheme as well?

Yep the kids are confused, so let's double down and really make them confused by requiring them to know a completely different scheme. I am sure our freshmen would have loved that.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 08:59:36 am
Yeah, AA passing Derby was expected.  I just didn't expect AJ to take so many reps this spring.  Glad that's over, now.

You and your buddies shouldn't question this staff anymore.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 09:15:30 am
Maybe the staff should question me and my buddies more.

That remark made me flinch.  ;D

Hawgon

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 09, 2014, 09:02:58 am

Well, that is the thing about a change of pace player, it has to be somewhat unpredictable.  Matt Jones could do it in his freshman year because he could make eleven guys miss him and still pick up that six yards, but anyone else?  No, not so much.

All I'm saying is work to a players strengths, not his weaknesses and passing the ball within five yards of his intended receiver, was definitely a weakness of Derby last year. 

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 09:15:30 am
Maybe the staff should question me and my buddies more.

They never questioned you. They don't care about your opinion. Hc makes millions for a reason being a coach not a forum mr know it all kinda guy.

You basically bashed this staff and then the staff made the switch. Moral of this speech maybe you should trust in a staff and shut your mouth more.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

ChitownHawg

I might add this thread has all of the classical signs of going for a 15 pager. I predict the bulk of the conversation will be something like this:

No he didn't!
Yes he did!
You're an idiot!
I'm a realist refusing to drink the koolaid!

No he didn't!
Yes he did!
You're an idiot!

No he didn't!
Yes he did!
You're an idiot!

On and on and on and on....  ;D

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2014, 09:23:06 am
Nah, they clearly read my posts.

I'm really sorry that my ideas have merit.  Must suck to be on the other side.

Delusional person.  Hogville 101.

PorkRinds

Wait.  You said the backup spot should be given to AA, and Derby should be on the sideline.  That was your idea.  Others said the coaches should make the depth chart and then let AA beat out Derby for the spot.  It seems like that's exactly what's happened, AA has beat out Derby for the 2 spot.  Now you're claiming victory?  They did the opposite of what you said.  They let AA beat out Derby and then put him at another position instead of holding a clipboard, but you think you've been vindicated?   ???

ChitownHawg

Explain to me which side of being a Hog fan has not sucked in the last couple of years? Kind of like the guy in charge of cleaning the toilets telling the guy cleaning the urinals his job sucks.  :D

PorkRinds

Quote from: locusbug on April 09, 2014, 09:27:22 am
Explain to me which side of being a Hog fan has not sucked in the last couple of years? Kind of like the guy in charge of cleaning the toilets telling the guy cleaning the urinals his job sucks.  :D

I'd take the urinals any day...

secneahog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2014, 09:26:02 am
Wait.  You said the backup spot should be given to AA, and Derby should be on the sideline.  That was your idea.  Others said the coaches should make the depth chart and then let AA beat out Derby for the spot.  It seems like that's exactly what's happened, AA has beat out Derby for the 2 spot.  Now you're claiming victory?  They did the opposite of what you said.  They let AA beat out Derby and then put him at another position instead of holding a clipboard, but you think you've been vindicated?   ???

The guy is delusional.

Everybody knew AA would pass up derby but wild hog wanted to pop off like AA should just be given the spot instead of getting better and beating the guy out.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2014, 09:28:13 am
I'd take the urinals any day...

You obviously haven't seen how bad my aim is!  ;D

Hawgon

Random fan, "What is Derby doing out there taking snaps?  We should be getting these young guys ready."

Hawgville brain trust, "Shut up.  Quit questioning the staff.  Obviously, Derby is better or he wouldn't be playing.  Haven't you read the practice reports?  Derby is looking great."

The next day Derby is moved to tight end.

Random fan, "That is good to hear.  See, I told you they needed to move Derby.

Hawgville brain trust, "Shut up and quit questioning the staff.  Obviously, AA is better than Derby."

All I want to know is if Eurasia is still our ally this week or not.

Wildhog

Lot of red ass in this thread.  It sustains me.
1909/1964/1965/1977

DeltaBoy

Good move by the Staff Derby was NO QB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 08:33:53 am

It's not griping if you can back it up.

Do you believe posters on this Board sometimes make valid observations or offer valid opinions that the Arkansas media is less than free to make or offer for a variety of reasons? 

I have seen no one suggest that Derby should be moved to increase reps for the younger QB's.  I'm sure some have or you wouldn't mention it. 

My opinion has been that Bielema/Derby should consider TE or LB because he is a 5th year senior with impressive measurables and skills.  Rivals ranked him as the number 1 recruit in Iowa as an "athlete".  Every recruiting analyst projected him at TE or LB.  If Derby wants to play professional football, he has one year to show what he can do at a position other than QB.

As for those who suggest Derby should be a candidate at LB, there does appear to be a greater team need at that position than at TE.  Derby's high school highlights show a player with the instincts of a MLB.  The coaches will decide where Derby can best help the team.  It is understandable why some here would think that purpose could be best accomplished at LB. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hawgon on April 09, 2014, 09:31:51 am
Random fan, "What is Derby doing out there taking snaps?  We should be getting these young guys ready."

Hawgville brain trust, "Shut up.  Quit questioning the staff.  Obviously, Derby is better or he wouldn't be playing.  Haven't you read the practice reports?  Derby is looking great."

The next day Derby is moved to tight end.

Random fan, "That is good to hear.  See, I told you they needed to move Derby.

Hawgville brain trust, "Shut up and quit questioning the staff.  Obviously, AA is better than Derby."

All I want to know is if Eurasia is still our ally this week or not.

Are you random fan or brain trust?  ;)

Wildhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 09, 2014, 09:33:15 am
I have seen no one suggest that Derby should be moved to increase reps for the younger QB's.  I'm sure some have or you wouldn't mention it. 

I did.  Over and over again.
1909/1964/1965/1977

HOGINTENNESSEE

Urban Meyer, Nick Saben, Butch Jones, and Jimbo Fisher all disagree with you. As the all offered him as an Ath coming out of High School.

His brother was a starting TE at Iowa and his Dad was all Big 10 at LB. The kid is a very good ath.

Heck I could even make the argument that he is a division 1 QB. Just not at the BCS level.

ricepig

secneahog

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 09, 2014, 09:33:15 am
It's not griping if you can back it up.

Do you believe posters on this Board sometimes make valid observations or offer valid opinions that the Arkansas media is less than free to make or offer for a variety of reasons? 

My opinion has been that Bielema/Derby should consider TE or LB because he is a 5th year senior with impressive measurables and skills.  Rivals ranked him as the number 1 recruit in Iowa as an "athlete".  Every recruiting analyst projected him at TE or LB.  If Derby wants to play professional football, he has one year to show what he can do at a position other than QB.

As for those who suggest Derby should be a candidate at LB, there does appear to be a greater team need at that position than at TE.  Derby's high school highlights show a player with the instincts of a MLB.  The coaches will decide where Derby can best help the team.  It is understandable why some here would think that purpose could be best accomplished at LB.

Wild hog made a topic on it yesterday. Saying they should make the move to give younger guys more reps. Then the topic went to the trash can like it deserved.

I think our greater need right now is te. With loewen out with acl injury we only have three guys.

lefty08

Quote from: locusbug on April 09, 2014, 09:27:22 am

Being a hog fan never sucks. That's the problem with most "fans"  The hard times make the good times that much sweeter. True its always more fun to win, but being a Hog never sucks