Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

May 13, 2024, 08:49:31 am

AJ Derby...

Started by Wildhog, April 08, 2014, 03:48:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildhog

He's a walk-on senior.  There's absolutely no reason for him to be taking second team reps away from Austin Allen.  Rafe could be getting more reps, as well. 

Ready for this staff to start doing things that make some sense. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigture perfect

Aj has the most game experience of all our qb's. reports are that he is much improved. You can't just hand second string over to the young guys without challenging them. That doesn't make them better.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Hog Fan...DOH!

I'm still wondering whether Tyler Wilson can take a snap from under center.

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 03:48:22 pm
He's a walk-on senior.  There's absolutely no reason for him to be taking second team reps away from Austin Allen.  Rafe could be getting more reps, as well. 

I don't see an being the backup quarterback come season time. I do know competition bring out the bet. And when your dealing with YOUNG players you want to progress them the right away.  I do not think everything is so cut and dry like you assume it is.
Pretty sure this staff knows how these guys tick..how their production is coming.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

Quote from: pigture perfect on April 08, 2014, 03:52:55 pm
Aj has the most game experience of all our qb's. reports are that he is much improved. You can't just hand second string over to the young guys without challenging them. That doesn't make them better.

*sigh*

No.  He needs a ballcap and a clipboard.  We're wasting time with Austin and Rafe.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on April 08, 2014, 03:55:45 pm
I don't see an being the backup quarterback come season time. I do know competition bring out the bet. And when your dealing with YOUNG players you want to progress them the right away.  I do not think everything is so cut and dry like you assume it is.
Pretty sure this staff knows how these guys tick..how their production is coming.

A lot of faith in this one.
1909/1964/1965/1977

thebignasty

AJ Derby ' s attention from the staff is puzzling.

secneahog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 03:57:16 pm

A lot of no faith with this staff from you.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Wildhog

I mean, it's not just me.  Some buddies and I were talking before spring ball started, and the general consensus was, "God, we better not waste one freaking rep on Derby when we've got Austin and Rafe needing all the reps they can get."

Welp...
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: secneahog on April 08, 2014, 04:01:05 pm
A lot of no faith with this staff from you.

Waiting for a sign.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ZERO

It's funny how half the board felt the opposite way with Brandon Mitchell. He should have been the starter despite only having one season remaining, and the "future" being Brandon Allen. Austin Allen is supposed to be roughly near Brandon Allen (many have even said he's the superior player). This is his second year, and if he's still unable to comfortably take the backup position from Derby, then he's not owed an express lane. And Rafe is a true freshman... I know throughout last season, many were saying he would come in and take the starter job immediately, but that's highly unrealistic and almost unprecedented in the SEC.

Rather than being upset that the player of my choice isn't getting more reps at second string, I'm more frustrated that we obviously don't have a quality second choice at this point.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:01:44 pm
I mean, it's not just me.  Some buddies and I were talking before spring ball started, and the general consensus was, "God, we better not waste one freaking rep on Derby when we've got Austin and Rafe needing all the reps they can get."

Welp...

Wait.....you've got buddies?

HoopS

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:01:44 pm

Welp...
oh.  Well then it must be the right call.  So, let's kick his sorry butt off the team and make it easier for the others.  Why should they have to beat him out.  He's a senior and isn't from Arkansas.  Somebody let the coaches know some guys decided it didn't make sense for the currently second best QB on the roster to get snaps.  Makes darn good sense.

Wildhog

Quote from: ZERO on April 08, 2014, 04:04:11 pm
It's funny how half the board felt the opposite way with Brandon Mitchell. He should have been the starter despite only having one season remaining, and the "future" being Brandon Allen. Austin Allen is supposed to be roughly near Brandon Allen (many have even said he's the superior player). This is his second year, and if he's still unable to comfortably take the backup position from Derby, then he's not owed an express lane. And Rafe is a true freshman… I know throughout last season, many were saying he would come in and take the starter job immediately, but that's highly unrealistic and almost unprecedented in the SEC.

Rather than being upset that the player of my choice isn't getting more reps at second string, I'm more frustrated that we obviously don't have a quality second choice at this point.

Most believe AA will win the backup job.  He needs all the reps he can get. 

Sure, Rafe is a freshman, but he needs to get as many reps as he can, as well.

This is poor time management, which is exactly what Bert is known for.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jabberjawls

I think anybody that watched Derby play last year should know. 

Hawgon

Yeah, but AA's daddy didn't go to school with BB.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Hawgon on April 08, 2014, 04:08:54 pm
Yeah, but AA's daddy didn't go to school with BB.

No he's just on the damn staff. 

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2014, 04:09:25 pm
No he's just on the damn staff. 

He probably wouldn't be if he didn't have two QBs on the team.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:10:45 pm
He probably wouldn't be if he didn't have two QBs on the team.

It's just insane to me to act like CBB is playing favorites by giving derby snaps when CBB doesn't even write the QB depth chart. Chaney does. You guys really think Chaney sat around and watched the team flounder last year under Derby knowing it was a case of his daddy being friends with the coach, and he stuck around when the season was over?  3-9 and he sticks around knowing there are shenanigans and being over ruled on the depth chart because of a favor to CBB's buddy? It makes absolutely zero sense.

870hogfan

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:08:15 pm
Most believe AA will win the backup job.  He needs all the reps he can get. 

Sure, Rafe is a freshman, but he needs to get as many reps as he can, as well.

This is poor time management, which is exactly what Bert is known for.

Who is Bert?

Hawgon

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2014, 04:15:08 pm
It's just insane to me to act like CBB is playing favorites by giving derby snaps when CBB doesn't even write the QB depth chart. Chaney does. You guys really think Chaney sat around and watched the team flounder last year under Derby knowing it was a case of his daddy being friends with the coach, and he stuck around when the season was over?  3-9 and he sticks around knowing there are shenanigans and being over ruled on the depth chart because of a favor to CBB's buddy? It makes absolutely zero sense.

$550k a year makes a lot of crazy things look pretty good.

Wildhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2014, 04:15:08 pm

Most of the things this staff has done make absolutely zero sense.

Go look at my post history.  I've, for the most part, been a homer.  But I'm quickly losing faith.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:09:28 pm
A couple.

I guess y'all were discussing the QB situation, huh?

Wildhog

And don't get me started on Jim "QB GURU" Chaney.
1909/1964/1965/1977

870hogfan

Maybe some of the coaches on Hogville need to tell Coach B...

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:21:01 pm
And don't get me started on Jim "QB GURU" Chaney.

I realize this is a message board, and for discussion, but I know I have no experience as a HC or OC, so I leave those type decisions to them. Where I eat on game day and what shade of "cardinal" I wear, I handle.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:17:13 pm
Most of the things this staff has done make absolutely zero sense.

Go look at my post history.  I've, for the most part, been a homer.  But I'm quickly losing faith.

wait. Most of the things they have done make zero sense? The opposite is true. Most of the things make perfect sense. Have there been head scratchers? Sure. But to say most of the things they do make no sense is just off base.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2014, 04:26:42 pm
I realize this is a message board, and for discussion, but I know I have no experience as a HC or OC, so I leave those type decisions to them. Where I eat on game day and what shade of "cardinal" I wear, I handle.

You have almost as much experience coaching QB's as Chaney.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Chief Mac

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 03:56:23 pm
*sigh*

No.  He needs a ballcap and a clipboard.  We're wasting time with Austin and Rafe.

so you know the exact reps each is getting?   
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:27:23 pm
You have almost as much experience coaching QB's as Chaney.

Still doesn't mean you know more than he does.

Wildhog

Why do you people do this to yourselves?  You KNOW he shouldn't be getting any reps. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

Wildhog

Jesus, can we not all just be honest? 
1909/1964/1965/1977

pigture perfect

Quote from: ricepig on April 08, 2014, 04:05:33 pm
Wait.....you've got buddies?
he didn't say they were football knowledgable type buddies.

Does he need to be the starter? No. If the younger guys can't beat him out, they aren't ready for the SEC. Simple as that.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 03:57:16 pm

I'm really surprised this hasn't been posted yet: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Carry on.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Wildhog

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 08, 2014, 04:47:06 pm
I'm really surprised this hasn't been posted yet: I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Carry on.

Thank you
1909/1964/1965/1977

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 04:39:25 pm
Jesus, can we not all just be honest? 

Man, you're such a hater. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Sir Oinksalot

G R E A T , OP  Wh...

Not sure why this is in vents but I didn't read past the OP..........was listening to Drive-Time the other day and Mr. Trey Biddy was on and he made
these observations from Spring practice so far...

AJ Darby is the most improved player on the team...

The Offense couldn't run on the defense and

The Defense had 11 sacks in the scrimmage we just had...

So, I feel it's my duty to vent a lil...

You mean the worst defense in the Country had 11 sacks??
You mean the worst defense in the Country shut our run game down??
You mean the worse QB. in the history of college football is looking good right now??

I got news for you Mr. Trey Biddy, these are not positives...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Arky

No shat.

Rafe enrolled early to get a head start. Reports are he ain't getting it.
I saw all I needed to at Rutgers.

PorkRinds

I'm going to lmao if for some horrible reason BA gets injured again and Derby comes in and lights the world on fire.  It would be great to watch.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on April 08, 2014, 06:11:36 pm
G R E A T , OP  Wh...

Not sure why this is in vents but I didn't read past the OP..........was listening to Drive-Time the other day and Mr. Trey Biddy was on and he made
these observations from Spring practice so far...

AJ Darby is the most improved player on the team...

The Offense couldn't run on the defense and

The Defense had 11 sacks in the scrimmage we just had...

So, I feel it's my duty to vent a lil...

You mean the worst defense in the Country had 11 sacks??
You mean the worst defense in the Country shut our run game down??
You mean the worse QB. in the history of college football is looking good right now??

I got news for you Mr. Trey Biddy, these are not positives...

I agree with you completely! It's backwards and terrible when one ponders it,

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2014, 11:02:49 pm
I'm going to lmao if for some horrible reason BA gets injured again and Derby comes in and lights the world on fire.  It would be great to watch.

I can almost guarantee BA will go down.  The latter, no chance.

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Arky on April 08, 2014, 10:19:07 pm
No shat.

Rafe enrolled early to get a head start. Reports are he ain't getting it.
I saw all I needed to at Rutgers.

Don't forget about the series he had against ole miss

hoggusamoungus

Maybe this from Wholehogsports will make you feel better.

QB derby
It appeared redshirt freshman quarterback Austin Allen is making strides to tighten the gap between he and second-teamer AJ Derby.
"I think that Austin is making progress with every practice," Coach Bret Bielema said. "He's a kid that flourishes in a game-like situation. He's got a nice arm.

Wildhog

Well, it appears ol' AJ has been moved to TE.  Apparently Bielema does have half a brain.  Must have read my posts.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Arky