Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 33 Thread: #24 Arkansas (20-12) vs. #17 UNLV (22-9)

Started by ucahogfan, April 08, 2014, 07:03:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

First pitch is set for 6:35 this evening.  This game will NOT be televised, but video will stream live on Razorvision.  Tonight's pitching matchup should be one of the best in the country this year in the midweek.  Arkansas is starting Sophomore LHP Colin Poche (2-0, 1.27 ERA).  UNLV is starting Sophomore RHP Kenny Oakley (2-2, 2 S, 1.37 ERA).  I will not be able to do PBP tonight.

bighog2255

This will be a tough game. Oakley has been a very good midweek starter. Last 4 starts:

28.1 IP, 19 H, 1.91 ERA, 31 K's....@Creighton (W), Utah Valley (W), @CalStFullerton (L), West Virginia (ND)

If we can get to Oakley tonight, their bullpen is very shallow. They have a good closer, but that's about it

jacobp

Looking forward to tonight's game. My plans to be at Baum fell through, so I can pitch in with PBP tonight if nobody else wants to do it.

dotnet

Quote from: bighog2255 on April 08, 2014, 01:05:28 pm
This will be a tough game. Oakley has been a very good midweek starter. Last 4 starts:

28.1 IP, 19 H, 1.91 ERA, 31 K's....@Creighton (W), Utah Valley (W), @CalStFullerton (L), West Virginia (ND)

If we can get to Oakley tonight, their bullpen is very shallow. They have a good closer, but that's about it

Interesting stats.  He is going through 7 per start...

Arkansas should have Stone and Gunn available in the pen for tonight.

TikiHog

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Mr.Swine89

I watched Oakley throw against Fullerton and he is very impressive. I'm not sure why he isn't a weekend starter. I'd like to see their rotation honestly. Oakley throws lots of strikes and gets ahead of hitters. He has a great out pitch in his change-up. It is a swing and miss pitch. Best I remember, he threw a good cutter as well. Really kept the Fullerton batters off-balance. We really need to be agressive tonight because if he gets settled in, then we will see a lot of strikeouts. I could see Serrano and Benintendi having a good game because of their willingness to hit it all over the field, but our true pull hitters like Fisher and Spoon could see a lot of changes and stuff in on the hands to just pop up. Whatever the case, stay positive!!! This is the greatest sport in the world and true fans stay behind their team through anything.

ucahogfan

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on April 08, 2014, 03:01:55 pm
I watched Oakley throw against Fullerton and he is very impressive. I'm not sure why he isn't a weekend starter. I'd like to see their rotation honestly. Oakley throws lots of strikes and gets ahead of hitters. He has a great out pitch in his change-up. It is a swing and miss pitch. Best I remember, he threw a good cutter as well. Really kept the Fullerton batters off-balance. We really need to be agressive tonight because if he gets settled in, then we will see a lot of strikeouts. I could see Serrano and Benintendi having a good game because of their willingness to hit it all over the field, but our true pull hitters like Fisher and Spoon could see a lot of changes and stuff in on the hands to just pop up. Whatever the case, stay positive!!! This is the greatest sport in the world and true fans stay behind their team through anything.
UNLV has a very good weekend rotation so there really isn't a spot for Oakley.

Their Friday night guy is Erick Fedde (6-1, 1.74 ERA).  He is one of the top prospects in the country this year and could be a 1st-2nd round pick.

The other two weekend guys are Bryan Bonnell (4-2, 1.61 ERA) and John Richey (5-2, 2.79 ERA).  As someone said earlier, UNLV relies heavily on their starting rotation on the weekend and have some solid guys coming out of the pen.  Their team ERA is 2.15 which #9 in the country.  We are currently #11 in team ERA in the country.  LSU is #12 in the country in ERA.  And it doesn't get any easier the following weekend, Vanderbilt is #7 in the country in ERA.

PoconoHog

Quote from: jacobp on April 08, 2014, 01:12:53 pm
Looking forward to tonight's game. My plans to be at Baum fell through, so I can pitch in with PBP tonight if nobody else wants to do it.
You do the PBP if you can. Thanks.
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." 
Never one to mince words, "We're surrounded," he said in battle. "That simplifies the problem."  Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

jacobp

jacobp

hogman64

ucahogfan

Quote from: hogman64 on April 08, 2014, 05:59:05 pm
Wilkerson isn't.......
I would have liked for Eagan to start over Wilkerson with the RHP on the mound especially one with the numbers that Oakley put up.

pigture perfect

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 08, 2014, 06:03:50 pm
I would have liked for Eagan to start over Wilkerson with the RHP on the mound especially one with the numbers that Oakley put up.
I agree.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

jacobp

jacobp

ok, I'll handle pbp unless anyone else wants it.

I'll admit, we are 0-1 on the year with my pbp :)

ucahogfan

Quote from: jacobp on April 08, 2014, 06:17:23 pm
uca, you doing PBP?
I can't tonight.  I'll be around periodically, but can't put in the time for PBP.  Thanks for doing PBP!

jacobp

The wife is out of town, I have a cooler of beer next to the couch, and we are almost ready for baseball!

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: jacobp on April 08, 2014, 03:52:28 pm
I'll plan on it.
I'm tagging along for the ride. If you run into problems and nobody else picks it up, I'll help for a while, just to make sure those who need the thread will get it.

jacobp

Joey Armstrong, .287 hitter, doubles into the right field corner.

jacobp

Justin Jones, 2nd baseman, .320 hitter, grounds out to Anderson at 2nd. Armstrong moves over to 3rd with 1 out.

jacobp

TJ White, .322 hitting 3rd baseman, grounds out to Wernes at 3rd for the 2nd out. Runner has to stay at 3rd, two outs.

Excellent play by Wernes

jacobp

Armstrong, .244 hitter, flies out to Benintendi in right to end the inning.

0 runs, 1 hit, 0 errors, 1 LOB. Headed to the bottom of the first, no score.

jacobp

Cold day at Baum. My buddy that is there says the wind is brutal. Blowing out hard to right center.

trippigs

jacobp

Fun fact: UNLV's pitcher is sporting a horrendous mustache.

Spoon pops out in foul ground to the first baseman. 1 out.

jacobp

Benintendi hits a shot to right center but is caught for the 2nd out.

booogaga

On razorvision the UNLV pitcher clearly has a very hipsterish handlebar mustache.
GO HOGS!

jacobp

Serrano lines a base hit into left center for a 2 out single.

jacobp

Anderson, average up to .333, walks on 4 pitches.

Runners on 1st and 2nd, two outs for Fisher.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

jacobp

Fisher, .252, strikes out to end the inning.

Headed to the 2nd inning, no score.

jacobp

VanMeetren, UNLV's catcher, with a mustache maybe worse than their pitcher, lines a base hit into left field.
Runner on 1st with 0 outs.

jacobp

Stotts walks on 5 pitches. Runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Looks like a bunch of them have mustaches. Wonder what the story is?

jacobp

UNLV is shooting for worst team facial hair in the nation.

Montes flies out to right field, runner tags from 2nd to 3rd...may have left early.

runners on 1st and 3rd, 1 out.

jacobp

Ellis flies out deep center, deep enough for the runner to tag and score. 1-0 UNLV.

Runner on 1st with 2 out.

jacobp

McAllister with a soft hit ball between 3rd and short, no play. runners on 1st and 2nd with two out.

Ruled an error. Tough one, really.

jacobp

Joey Armstrong base hit off the wall down the right field line. Run scores. 2-0 UNLV.

Runners on 2nd and 3rd with 2 outs.

jacobp

Jorn headed to the mound for a visit to Poche.

Action heating up in the Arkansas bullpen.

That was Joey Armstrong's 2nd double of the night, both down the right field line.

jacobp

Ground out to Bernal at SS to end the inning. Headed to the bottom 2nd,

2-0 UNLV

jacobp

pigture perfect

jacobp

jacobp

Bobby Wernes, walks on 5 pitches. Runners on 1st and 2nd, 1 out.

jacobp