Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shabazz Napier's Postgame Comments

Started by WilsonHog, April 08, 2014, 06:38:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkem

Quote from: immahog on April 08, 2014, 07:42:45 am
HA lets be clear these kids are not student/athletes they are athletic students

No truer words have ever been spoken.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 08:59:39 am
Im a former athlete. Majority of my friends as well. The system is corrupt. People see the fame and glory, but don't understand the grind or struggle.

To think the system is fair or just is absurd. NCAA controls every aspect of your life making billions off you, using the pathetic excuse that a full scholarship is enough, when in fact it has been PROVEN that it does not cover all costs.

Just because you are a former athlete doesn't mean ALL former athletes think the same as you. As with any organization or teams most people hang around with or are friends with those that are the same. When I was in band most of my friends were band folks. I don't see how having most of your friends as a teammate makes every teammate think the same as you. My bandmates didn't always agree with me. NEVER said the scholarship alone covers all the costs. Heres' a shocker in the real world companies make billions off workers. There are other ways to cover that cost though. Besides what YOU think is full cost and what others think is full cost may be different. You are also forgetting that for MOST athletes the school makes NOTHING off of them financially. What's the matter did you not finish your degree and get a good job OR did you not get in the pros and make big money as you thought you would. Life isn't always about fairness it is about opportunity. IF you didn't use the college to your advantage and take advantage of it's opportunity that's your fault not the college. IF you think the NCAA controls EVERYTHING in your life then perhaps you should have met and partied with my friends that were former athletes. Hell they had more parties than I did! P.S. They graduated also, even those that went pro. Perhaps you should have gone to Northwestern and voted to have a union. What's wrong did they not recruit you.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cotton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 11:29:18 am
Just because you are a former athlete doesn't mean ALL former athletes think the same as you. I NEVER said the scholarship alone covers all the costs. Heres' a shocker in the real world companies make billions off workers. There are other ways to cover that cost though. Besides what YOU think is full cost and what others think is full cost may be different. You are also forgetting that for MOST athletes the school makes NOTHING off of them financially. What's the matter did you not finish your degree and get a good job OR did you not get in the pros and make big money as you thought you would. Life isn't always about fairness it is about opportunity. IF you didn't use the college to your advantage and take advantage of it's opportunity that's your fault not the college. IF you think the NCAA controls EVERYTHING in your life then perhaps you should have met and partied with my friends that were former athletes. Hell they had more parties than I did! P.S. They graduated also, even those that went pro. Perhaps you should have gone to Northwestern and voted to have a union. What's wrong did they not recruit you.
Jealousy is an ugly face lol

I'm sorry your life is so miserable that you can't have higher expectations or have hope that there is a better and more fair system possible.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 11:29:18 am
Just because you are a former athlete doesn't mean ALL former athletes think the same as you. As with any organization or teams most people hang around with or are friends with those that are the same. When I was in band most of my friends were band folks. I don't see how having most of your friends as a teammate makes every teammate think the same as you. My bandmates didn't always agree with me. NEVER said the scholarship alone covers all the costs. Heres' a shocker in the real world companies make billions off workers. There are other ways to cover that cost though. Besides what YOU think is full cost and what others think is full cost may be different. You are also forgetting that for MOST athletes the school makes NOTHING off of them financially. What's the matter did you not finish your degree and get a good job OR did you not get in the pros and make big money as you thought you would. Life isn't always about fairness it is about opportunity. IF you didn't use the college to your advantage and take advantage of it's opportunity that's your fault not the college. IF you think the NCAA controls EVERYTHING in your life then perhaps you should have met and partied with my friends that were former athletes. Hell they had more parties than I did! P.S. They graduated also, even those that went pro. Perhaps you should have gone to Northwestern and voted to have a union. What's wrong did they not recruit you.

i'm a former athlete and lived with former athletes.  i agree with him.

i had to try to help tutor some of these kids, too.  many weren't ready for college.  but they were fast/big/strong.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 09, 2014, 11:35:14 am
i'm a former athlete and lived with former athletes.  i agree with him.

i had to try to help tutor some of these kids, too.  many weren't ready for college.  but they were fast/big/strong.

Wow. Nice to know you speak for ALL athletes. I DO agree some athletes (as well as regular students) aren't ready for college and shouldn't be there. Just curious where did you go to school as an athlete?
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ricepig

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 11:36:48 am
Wow. Nice to know you speak for ALL athletes. I DO agree some athletes (as well as regular students) aren't ready for college and shouldn't be there.

Yep, unfortunately all you have to do is look at the number of students who are required to take remedial classes at the freshman level. I have no problem with some small type of stipend to help, but I also wonder how many more tats or Beats it will buy??

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 11:33:58 am
Jealousy is an ugly face lol

I'm sorry your life is so miserable that you can't have higher expectations or have hope that there is a better and more fair system possible.

Jealous. Not on your life. I'm not miserable at all. I've done very well in the real world. Well enough for you to see I spend a lot of time on here instead of working a regular 9-5 job now. Read some of my former posts and you might be able to extrapolate who some of my friends were and when I was on the hill. Some of my friends did very well in the pros and made a lot of money but I wouldn't trade places with them then or now.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2014, 11:40:00 am
Yep, unfortunately all you have to do is look at the number of students who are required to take remedial classes at the freshman level. I have no problem with some small type of stipend to help, but I also wonder how many more tats or Beats it will buy??

so you guys have known NO athletes, eh?

bowl and tourney swag.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/players-cash-in-with-prizes-and-gifts-at-conference-and-ncaa-tournaments.html/

now the tats?  who knows.  betcha can't find receipts.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2014, 11:40:00 am

I had to take a couple of remedial classes when I started college.

kingofdequeen

hey look...my fave player has BEATS!!! must buy!!!

it costs the company a lot less than a commercial.  yet again.

kingofdequeen

April 09, 2014, 11:43:54 am #161 Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:17:38 pm by kingofdequeen
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 11:42:44 am
I had to take a couple of remedial classes when I started college.

put it on a tee why don't you?

ricepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 09, 2014, 11:42:15 am
so you guys have known NO athletes, eh?

bowl and tourney swag.

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2014/03/players-cash-in-with-prizes-and-gifts-at-conference-and-ncaa-tournaments.html/

now the tats?  who knows.  betcha can't find receipts.

Not all bowls give out Beats, and not all teams make a bowl, i.e.,us......

I didn't realize they got swag for the conference tournament, forget the stipend....

kingofdequeen

so should we debate the liquidity of free beats and tattoos?

EastexHawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 09, 2014, 11:35:14 am

Maybe those guys should have gone to some of the open tryouts the Astros and Rangers used to have...or tried to play a mini-tour or qualify for the U.S. Open...instead of going to college to have their talents showcased in front of scouts and TV audiences or being taken to golf courses around the country to play and develop.

Of course if they didn't make it they would probably be SOL since they weren't overly bright and didn't have college degrees...but hey, the world needs ditch diggers and Tote-A-Poke clerks, too.

ricepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 09, 2014, 11:56:42 am
so should we debate the liquidity of free beats and tattoos?

Free tats?? Why the need for a stipend then?

kingofdequeen

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 09, 2014, 11:56:55 am
Maybe those guys should have gone to some of the open tryouts the Astros and Rangers used to have...or tried to play a mini-tour or qualify for the U.S. Open...instead of going to college to have their talents showcased in front of scouts and TV audiences or being taken to golf courses around the country to play and develop.

Of course if they didn't make it they would probably be SOL since they weren't overly bright and didn't have college degrees...but hey, the world needs ditch diggers and Tote-A-Poke clerks, too.

naw.  lets just develop a  worthless i mean "world class" gen studies degree so we can keep them eligible and allow the ncaa to market their achievements.

Inhogswetrust

ricepig

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 09, 2014, 11:59:50 am
naw.  lets just develop a  worthless i mean "world class" gen studies degree so we can keep them eligible and allow the ncaa to market their achievements.

We should be able to handle that, any other requests in your collective bargaining agreement?

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 09, 2014, 11:59:50 am

While they are simultaneously marketing themselves?

We've had numerous Hogs who got their bachelors degrees and were doing post-graduate work by the time they completed their eligibility...so it can be done.  Then again, not everyone is college material.

Kevin

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 10:40:07 am
Most athletes? So you're saying most athletes are low income families?

Pell grants are not athlete exclusive so your statement is as misleading as it is false.

Other students and non full scholarship platers have to use their pell grant on paying for school

Yes, and most players are eligible for it

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Kevin on April 09, 2014, 03:06:08 pm

Other students and non full scholarship platers have to use their pell grant on paying for school

Pell Grant max income from family - 50k.

most go to families earning under 20k.

sliding scale of award based on imcome and cost of attendance, meaning if your parents make 40k you'll get less pell than one who's parents made 20k.

if you get the max, it's circa 5500 for the year, or 687 bucks a month.  i'm sure that goes a long way in Storrs, Connecticut, where the cost of living is roughly 43% higher than in Fayetteville.

http://www.payscale.com/cost-of-living-calculator/Connecticut-Hartford/Arkansas-Fayetteville

Cotton

Quote from: Kevin on April 09, 2014, 03:06:08 pm

Proof??

Don't worry, I'll wait.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 09:23:09 am
If you can eat 3 meals a day, 7 days a week, in a cafeteria... You aren't human.

Did it in the Army. You just can't eat crap in the Cafeteria three times a day.
This is my non-signature signature.

EastexHawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on April 09, 2014, 03:22:20 pm
if you get the max, it's circa 5500 for the year, or 687 bucks a month.  i'm sure that goes a long way

How far would it go if your tuition, fees, books, dorm or apartment, medical, and meals are all paid?

Remember, we are talking about a guy who said he goes to bed hungry because he doesn't have enough money to eat...presumably between the time the multiple cafeterias at which he has all he can eat privileges close after dinner and open for breakfast.

HogSophist

Quote from: talley on April 09, 2014, 10:42:47 am
Thats my whole point... you're getting a 40,000 scholarhip GIVEN to you, which most people have to pay for and then ALSO DONT EAT GOOD!!!! that was the entire point!

You act like athletes have it hard!  It's college, everyone has it hard! No one lives it up! 

Nothing is given. Perhaps the agreement is voluntary, but the 'given' and 'free' idea is a ridiculous notion. It is earned. is your paycheck 'given' to you? is it 'free'?
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 11:16:25 am
Yep. BUT we have to hold someone responsible for athletes since some athletes can't do it themselves just like regular students. That rule is so schools won't use them ONLY as a hired gun.
that makes a lot of sense, penalize future student athletes, brilliant!!!

Beaverfever

I'm having a hard time believing UCONN doesn't feed their scholarship athletes.  They should investigate that.  Maybe Arkansas could start using that to recruit.

chuckinss

Sniff, sniff.....Just breaks my heart that we have all these mistreated athletes in the world.  Poor babies....sure wish they could have it as easy as that kid who is in debt up to his eyeballs with student loans and working two jobs while taking an 18 hour class load.  And, then, those poor little mistreated athletes have to eat 3 meals a day in a cafeteria?   Now, that is just terrible.  Shame on these colleges and universities for mistreating their students.......ugh!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 08, 2014, 03:32:35 pm
Easy solution.  Quit athletics, pay your own way, and you can go about pursuing whatever major you want and work on academics whenever you damn well please.

What exactly does that solve?  That's like saying if all the retail fuel suppliers colluded on price, it's ok, because easy solution - just walk.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: EastexHawg on April 09, 2014, 12:26:45 pm
While they are simultaneously marketing themselves?

We've had numerous Hogs who got their bachelors degrees and were doing post-graduate work by the time they completed their eligibility...so it can be done.  Then again, not everyone is college material.

Then again, they're not recruited because they're "college material".  They're recruited because they're "college athletics material", which is a totally different thing.

Fatty McGee

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 10, 2014, 10:14:16 am
Calipari's thoughts on NCAA changes below.  He likens it to the old Soviet Union: 

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10760355/kentucky-wildcats-coach-john-calipari-likens-ncaa-dying-soviet-union-new-book

So Cal now wants to be the POINT MAN for NCAA reforms. Holy cow. I DO agree with some of his and others recommendations but to make HIM the point man. Forget it.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2014, 12:29:53 pm
So Cal now wants to be the POINT MAN for NCAA reforms. Holy cow. I DO agree with some of his and others recommendations but to make HIM the point man. Forget it.

At least he cares a little about the athletes.

Cotton

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hoglady

Calipari's recommendations make too much sense for the NCAA to consider them.
They're too practical and straightforward.
Any NCAA reforms will most likely be a convoluted mess of red tape, that will require a law degree to decipher.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on April 10, 2014, 04:11:42 pm
Calipari's recommendations make too much sense for the NCAA to consider them.
They're too practical and straightforward.
Any NCAA reforms will most likely be a convoluted mess of red tape, that will require a law degree to decipher.

What makes you think it isn't already a convoluted mess? The NCAA manual already requires a law degree to decipher!

Inhogswetrust

April 10, 2014, 04:31:00 pm #189 Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 08:39:25 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 10, 2014, 01:54:24 pm
At least he cares a little about the athletes.

Glad you put the word "little" in that. Does he care a "little" yes. Does he care more than a lot of other coaches no.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 10, 2014, 04:31:00 pm
Glad you put the word "little" in that. Dos he care a "little" yes. Does he care more than a lot of other coaches no.

I'm not sure how you're qualified to say that. From all indications it would be in his best interest to encourage these guys to stay but each year he tells them to do what's best for them and their families.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 10, 2014, 07:35:25 pm
I'm not sure how you're qualified to say that. From all indications it would be in his best interest to encourage these guys to stay but each year he tells them to do what's best for them and their families.

As do a lot of other coaches.