Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shabazz Napier's Postgame Comments

Started by WilsonHog, April 08, 2014, 06:38:23 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Cotton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 08, 2014, 06:00:23 pm
It's VOLUNTARY. IF you don't want to take the risk then don't sign up.
Okay, but when somebody breaks a leg for your entertainment, you just cast them aside and say tough luck? Are we talking about gladiators from Rome or football players in 2014? Surely we've come further as a society then this.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

hoglady

Don't athletes who live on campus have meal plans?
If they choose to live off campus and don't get enough money for food - then maybe they should move back in a dorm.

I'm all for paying these athletes. The NCAA doesn't appear to give 2 hoots about the student/athlete. But I also don't believe these athletes are going hungry.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Cotton

Quote from: hoglady on April 08, 2014, 06:12:47 pm
If they choose to live off campus and don't get enough money for food - then maybe they should move back in a dorm.

I'm all for paying these athletes. The NCAA doesn't appear to give 2 hoots about the student/athlete. But I also don't believe these athletes are going hungry.
FYI. Most scholarships include housing and a full meal plan. To put it simply, cafeterias usually close 8-9pm. Athletes are burning an incredible amount of calories and usually need to eat 4-5 meals a day. Thus from 9pm until bedtime at 1 or 2am they are on their own for food.

Now factor in trying to eat cafeteria food all day every day of the week. It's impossible. We always said the best weight loss plan there is, is a meal plan. Try to eat that stuff every day and you'll lose your appetite pretty quickly.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Pancetta

Ok I believe that athletes should share more of the pie than they are currently, but lets just put the you can't eat every day in the cafeteria to bed. You can. I did it for weeks on end. I also took food out b/c I had an unlimited meal plan so I didnt and still dont view that as stealing. I didnt have a car so sometimes I would catch a ride and go out with friends. I used spare money to have fun. Now here is where I agree with him. I got spare money not from parents who didnt have it to give but from my excess scholarship, pell grant, and odd jobs. I was given about 3 grand above my actual room, board, books in scholarship money b/c I had mental talent to excel. Yet athletes cant be given 3 grand extra for their physical talents?  I can get a job  doing the professor's scut work as a GA but these kids can't get paid for doing the coach's job? Doesn't seem right to me.
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 08, 2014, 06:00:23 pm
It's VOLUNTARY. IF you don't want to take the risk then don't sign up.
Yeah, that is realistic. 90% of these players have no where else to turn. They have to take it.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 06:04:24 pm
There are so many rules the athletic departments have several paid employees just to make sure student athletes follow all of them. You can do some surfing on NCAA website but you'll get bored after the first 50 pages of rules.

APR is a whole nother monster. However, it should be noted that Student-Athletes have higher graduation rates and GPAs than the general student body.

napier never took an english class. 4 years in a university and he can't speak english. apr is a joke. all you need is a few malleable profs

harry edwards is a brilliant sociologist who was a mentor to john carlos and tommy smith. these 2 track stars gave the black power salute on the podium at the olympics in mexico city in 1968.

"Edwards told Time magazine that he "wants to serve as a role model—the promising athlete who gave up the possibility of a career in professional sports to become a scholar instead." "We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open," he said. "The chances of your becoming a Jerry Rice or a Magic Johnson are so slim as to be negligible. Black kids must learn to distribute their energies in a way that's going to make them productive, contributing citizens in an increasingly high-technology society."

listen to kikko haydar after the mississippi game and the listen to napier. now ask yourself who you would want to be in 20 years

RNHog

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 06:07:51 pm
Okay, but when somebody breaks a leg for your entertainment, you just cast them aside and say tough luck? Are we talking about gladiators from Rome or football players in 2014? Surely we've come further as a society then this.

YUP. I didn't make them sign up. If I do something wrong at work, it doesn't affect anyone else but me.

Just another thuggy, thinks the world owes them something athlete.

RNHog

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 06:17:22 pm
FYI. Most scholarships include housing and a full meal plan. To put it simply, cafeterias usually close 8-9pm. Athletes are burning an incredible amount of calories and usually need to eat 4-5 meals a day. Thus from 9pm until bedtime at 1 or 2am they are on their own for food.

Now factor in trying to eat cafeteria food all day every day of the week. It's impossible. We always said the best weight loss plan there is, is a meal plan. Try to eat that stuff every day and you'll lose your appetite pretty quickly.

Please. I know a football player that had a cafeteria meal voucher AND a meal voucher for Chik-fil-A while in college. These folks don't go hungry. They eat the best, get the best health care in school, and for the most part the best housing. Give me a freaking breatk.

RNHog

Quote from: avatar on April 08, 2014, 11:19:38 pm
harry edwards is a brilliant sociologist who was a mentor to john carlos and tommy smith. these 2 track stars gave the black power salute on the podium at the olympics in mexico city in 1968.

"Edwards told Time magazine that he "wants to serve as a role model—the promising athlete who gave up the possibility of a career in professional sports to become a scholar instead." "We must teach our children to dream with their eyes open," he said. "The chances of your becoming a Jerry Rice or a Magic Johnson are so slim as to be negligible. Black kids must learn to distribute their energies in a way that's going to make them productive, contributing citizens in an increasingly high-technology society."

listen to kikko haydar after the mississippi game and the listen to napier. now ask yourself who you would want to be in 20 years

It's a no brainer with the last part of your post.

PORKULATOR

Napiers comment just showed how ignorant UConn is to the college game. They weren't allowed to be in the tournament last year because they were to damn stupid to be eligible for college basketball. College=academics you tool shed. The only chip he shoulda had on his shoulder was a frito. And he shoulda used it to make frito pie.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

hoglady

UConn has around 10 different cafeteria's and cafe's on campus. Serving a wide variety of foods. In addition - They have grab and go's for made to order sandwiches, salads and grinders that are open until 10 every night. Most of the eateries are all you can eat. Each of these always have breakfast, brunch, salad bar and pizza along with the standard fare.
How do you starve with that available for you?

We are discussing a kid who went to a $50,000 a year prep school. I'm sure the food provided by UConn pales in comparison.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

RNHog

Quote from: hoglady on April 09, 2014, 12:06:37 am
UConn has around 10 different cafeteria's and cafe's on campus. Serving a wide variety of foods. In addition - They have grab and go's for made to order sandwiches, salads and grinders that are open until 10 every night. Most of the eateries are all you can eat. Each of these always have breakfast, brunch, salad bar and pizza along with the standard fare.
How do you starve with that available for you?

We are discussing a kid who went to a $50,000 a year prep school. I'm sure the food provided by UConn pales in comparison.

Just another entitled college player. The idiot should be thankful he had the gift of basketball to attend a school like Uconn on scholarship.

Cotton

I don't expect most of you to understand, because you've never been in those situations. It's easy to sit around and speculate, but if you haven't walked the walk, you have no idea what it's like.

Moreover, you all continue to miss the main point. This isn't about Shabazz Napier. This is about the exploitation of athletes, a corrupt system that needs to be changed.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 05:58:14 am
I don't expect most of you to understand, because you've never been in those situations. It's easy to sit around and speculate, but if you haven't walked the walk, you have no idea what it's like.

Moreover, you all continue to miss the main point. This isn't about Shabazz Napier. This is about the exploitation of athletes, a corrupt system that needs to be changed.

Ok, we give him/them another $2000/semester for incidental, I bet he still goes "hungry."

waphill

Actually, this thread IS about Shabazz Napier and his postgame comments.

Cotton

Quote from: waphill on April 09, 2014, 07:26:22 am
Actually, this thread IS about Shabazz Napier and his postgame comments.
Smh.

Instead of seeing the message, you see the messenger.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hoglady on April 08, 2014, 06:12:47 pm

IF they live off campus then that takes up time. Yet they have no extra time according to some.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

waphill

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 07:29:42 am
Smh.

Instead of seeing the message, you see the messenger.

Just trying to get you to lighten up a bit!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoginMemphis on April 08, 2014, 09:09:25 pm
Yeah, that is realistic. 90% of these players have no where else to turn. They have to take it.

No they don't. I see where you are going. Especially not 90%. Not all athletes families are dirt poor. Some are but not all. Plus they don't' HAVE to choose to be an athlete. There are other ways to get college paid for. There are other ways to make good money and live a decent life financially.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 06:07:51 pm

Yes we have. Schools have really good medical staffs and connections to outside medical practices and hospitals. Todays athletes have choices and they aren't put to death by the whims of the emperor. Should schools take care of athletes medically very well, absolutely. MOST athletes on scholarship when hurt to the point they can no longer play are kept on a scholarship of some sorts so they can finish school. As I've said in another post read the NCAA website. There are a lot of things available to athletes than most people don't know about.

Inhogswetrust

I've eaten at school cafeterias a LOT. Lived in Yocum when I started at the UA. Food is fine usually. Is it seasoned like at home, nope. People that live off campus usually don't eat as nutritious. One problem is younger folks grow up today eating out a LOT and don't know what nutritious food is. Nutrition and diet is one thing our new staff stresses and the players have responded to very well.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: avatar on April 08, 2014, 11:11:15 pm
napier never took an english class. 4 years in a university and he can't speak english. apr is a joke. all you need is a few malleable profs

I hate to admit it but ALL colleges have athletes that can't speak english very well. Including the UA.  One of our former coaches used to have athletes learn how to give interviews.

Inhogswetrust

Is the system perfect, NO. But to think it's so corrupt it needs to be changed dramatically is false. I've got quite a few former athlete friends. Some even went on to have successful careers in the pro's. Have they said things about the system they didn't like, of course. BUT they also don't think they were exploited to the point you think they are. I can't speak for all athletes obviously.

Cotton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 08:30:25 am
Is the system perfect, NO. But to think it's so corrupt it needs to be changed dramatically is false. I've got quite a few former athlete friends. Some even went on to have successful careers in the pro's. Have they said things about the system they didn't like, of course. BUT they also don't think they were exploited to the point you think they are. I can't speak for all athletes obviously.
Im a former athlete. Majority of my friends as well. The system is corrupt. People see the fame and glory, but don't understand the grind or struggle.

To think the system is fair or just is absurd. NCAA controls every aspect of your life making billions off you, using the pathetic excuse that a full scholarship is enough, when in fact it has been PROVEN that it does not cover all costs.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 08:59:39 am
Im a former athlete. Majority of my friends as well. The system is corrupt. People see the fame and glory, but don't understand the grind or struggle.

To think the system is fair or just is absurd. NCAA controls every aspect of your life making billions off you, using the pathetic excuse that a full scholarship is enough, when in fact it has been PROVEN that it does not cover all costs.

Ok, what sport and at what level did you play? How many held a gun to your head to accept that scholarship, assuming you had one? Nobody says it's easy, or that some modifications need to be made, but all this, "the man is keeping me down", crap is that, crap.

Kevin

hard to cry poor student-athlete, then 30 minutes later having $400 dollar headphones on your head.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

ricepig

Quote from: Kevin on April 09, 2014, 09:40:53 am
hard to cry poor student-athlete, then 30 minutes later having $400 dollar headphones on your head.

Now, you've read in this thread that those and the tats were gifts.....

choppedporkextrasauce

April 09, 2014, 09:44:59 am #128 Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 10:00:50 am by choppedporkextrasauce
Quote from: PORKULATOR on April 08, 2014, 11:42:55 pm
Napiers comment just showed how ignorant UConn is to the college game. They weren't allowed to be in the tournament last year because they were to damn stupid to be eligible for college basketball. College=academics you tool shed. The only chip he shoulda had on his shoulder was a frito. And he shoulda used it to make frito pie.

The real ignorance is your post. It's like the Elephant in the Room.

talley

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 08:59:39 am

If you were starving, you could have dropped out at any time and did what most did AND TAKE OUT LOANS! If you didn't want to do that you could have easily just started working!  You could have become a welder, a contractor, a oil and gas guy, etc etc etc.  You HAD CHOICES! To sit here and compalin like you didn't get nothing is stupid.  Every college student struggles!  Thats college!  Every college person eats ramen noodles and tony's pizzas!  That is part of college! once again though you had choices!  You know how many people would love to "mistreated" like these athletes!

EastexHawg

Do you think none of us were ever 18-22 years old and attending college?  I was 6'4" and 175 pounds when I started college.  As part of my room and board payment I got 20 meals per week in the cafeteria.  The only meal that wasn't available was Sunday night...we were on our own for that one.  By the end of my freshman year I weighed 195 and the next year I weighed 225.

I didn't have money when I was a college student.  My dad was a 100% disabled vet and I did well to have clothes to wear and occasionally enough cash to split a pizza with my roommate and our girlfriends or maybe buy a six pack.  But, that was okay because almost no one I knew had a bunch of money.  I ate in the cafeteria almost every meal for the two years I lived in the dorm.

Maybe back then we weren't smart enough to realize the level of torture involved in eating university-provided cafeteria meals...or maybe I wasn't as hard to please as today's college students.

choppedporkextrasauce

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 08, 2014, 11:37:38 am
If a student athlete doesn't get a degree it is their fault not the schools.

It is according to the NCAA.  that's why UCONN was banned, that's why the UofA was close to being banned.

hoglady

I understand what you are saying.
I agree it's shameful the way these kids are used.
BUT you don't say you're starving when you aren't. There are plenty of people in this country TRULY starving, who know on a daily basis what it's like to have no food to eat. If he wants to make a point, use something else - that's actually truthful.

nationwish

I just wonder how many schools are using his comments as negative recruiting. It's just too easy to say "Look at what their star player said about life at that school. Our players will not go hungry."

hoglady

Quote from: nationwish on April 09, 2014, 10:16:23 am
I just wonder how many schools are using his comments as negative recruiting. It's just too easy to say "Look at what their star player said about life at that school. Our players will not go hungry."

I had to laugh at that.
I can see it now.

Cotton

Quote from: talley on April 09, 2014, 09:49:37 am
If you were starving, you could have dropped out at any time and did what most did AND TAKE OUT LOANS! If you didn't want to do that you could have easily just started working!  You could have become a welder, a contractor, a oil and gas guy, etc etc etc.  You HAD CHOICES! To sit here and compalin like you didn't get nothing is stupid.  Every college student struggles!  Thats college!  Every college person eats ramen noodles and tony's pizzas!  That is part of college! once again though you had choices!  You know how many people would love to "mistreated" like these athletes!
Great idea! Throw away $40,000 of scholarship money, then take out $40,000 in loans to pay for school so you can get a job and work through college just so you can have some extra spending money. You're a genius!

Quote from: hoglady on April 09, 2014, 10:13:27 am
I understand what you are saying.
I agree it's shameful the way these kids are used.
BUT you don't say you're starving when you aren't. There are plenty of people in this country TRULY starving, who know on a daily basis what it's like to have no food to eat. If he wants to make a point, use something else - that's actually truthful.
How many people say daily "Im starving" when really they are just craving a small meal? He isn't literally saying I'm starving, he's saying many student athletes don't have any spending money and can't afford to go get food after hours.

A regular student can get a job while going to school. Student athletes are essentially working a full time job with their sport.

Add up all the hours an athlete spends in his/her sport and the scholarships don't even equal minimum wage. But hey TV, Universities, and businesses are making BILLIONS off of them and that's okay. Give me a break.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Kevin

don't forget about the $5500 in pell grant most athletes get.
a check in august, & one in january.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cotton

Quote from: Kevin on April 09, 2014, 10:37:28 am
don't forget about the $5500 in pell grant most athletes get.
a check in august, & one in january.
Most athletes? So you're saying most athletes are low income families?

Pell grants are not athlete exclusive so your statement is as misleading as it is false.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

talley

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 10:33:17 am
Great idea! Throw away $40,000 of scholarship money, then take out $40,000 in loans to pay for school so you can get a job and work through college just so you can have some extra spending money. You're a genius!

Thats my whole point... you're getting a 40,000 scholarhip GIVEN to you, which most people have to pay for and then ALSO DONT EAT GOOD!!!! that was the entire point!

You act like athletes have it hard!  It's college, everyone has it hard! No one lives it up! 

Cotton

Quote from: talley on April 09, 2014, 10:42:47 am
Thats my whole point... you're getting a 40,000 scholarhip GIVEN to you, which most people have to pay for and then ALSO DONT EAT GOOD!!!! that was the entire point!

You act like athletes have it hard!  It's college, everyone has it hard! No one lives it up!
Or we could just give them more money so they don't have to struggle... Good lord what a ground breaking idea.

But since you're jealous you weren't an athlete you don't want any one else to have anything better than you. Take a seat.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

kingofdequeen

ya'll see those clothes he was wearing on the podium?  for sale right now.  on his and his teammates efforts. 

when HiM is the voice of reason, you're in a bad spot.

hoglady

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 10:46:13 am
Or we could just give them more money so they don't have to struggle... Good lord what a ground breaking idea.

But since you're jealous you weren't an athlete you don't want any one else to have anything better than you. Take a seat.

I think most in this thread would agree there needs to be changes in the system and these athletes should be getting more spending money. That the NCAA has some ridiculous rules that should be simplified and addressed.

Cotton

Quote from: hoglady on April 09, 2014, 10:55:56 am
I think most in this thread would agree there needs to be changes in the system and these athletes should be getting more spending money. That the NCAA has some ridiculous rules that should be simplified and addressed.
I hope so.

I also agree that "starving" isn't the correct term, and I understand the perception of a tattooed athlete that has a few nice looking things doesn't help the argument.

I just hope to see changes made soon. It's gone on long enough.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 11:02:34 am
I hope so.

I also agree that "starving" isn't the correct term, and I understand the perception of a tattooed athlete that has a few nice looking things doesn't help the argument.

I just hope to see changes made soon. It's gone on long enough.

Do you have an opinion on what you think the proper amount of "help" should be?

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2014, 11:09:36 am
Do you have an opinion on what you think the proper amount of "help" should be?
Yes, but I can't put an exact number on it. Personally I don't think it should be a large sum. Especially because you would begin to alienate smaller schools. Unless they decided to separate FBS into 2 or 3 levels. It has to be a number affordable for smaller schools, yet enough to reward the student athlete. Somewhere equal to what pale grant is would be a fair number. 3,000 or so a semester and for the summer.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: choppedporkextrasauce on April 09, 2014, 10:00:02 am
It is according to the NCAA.  that's why UCONN was banned, that's why the UofA was close to being banned.

Yep. BUT we have to hold someone responsible for athletes since some athletes can't do it themselves just like regular students. That rule is so schools won't use them ONLY as a hired gun.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: talley on April 09, 2014, 10:42:47 am

There is some living it up. However IF you live it up too much you will not last long in college.

Cotton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 09, 2014, 11:17:28 am

There is some living it up. However IF you live it up too much you will not last long in college.
Truuuuuuu

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ricepig

Quote from: Cotton on April 09, 2014, 11:14:53 am
Yes, but I can't put an exact number on it. Personally I don't think it should be a large sum. Especially because you would begin to alienate smaller schools. Unless they decided to separate FBS into 2 or 3 levels. It has to be a number affordable for smaller schools, yet enough to reward the student athlete. Somewhere equal to what pale grant is would be a fair number. 3,000 or so a semester and for the summer.

$3000 a semester above the full cost of tuition and room and board? Is this for all athletes across the board, men/women, full/partial scholly, revenue maker or revenue drain?

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2014, 11:19:37 am
$3000 a semester above the full cost of tuition and room and board? Is this for all athletes across the board, men/women, full/partial scholly, revenue maker or revenue drain?
It would be included in a full scholarship in my hypothetical model. Somebody with half a scholarship would receive half that, ect.

I'm brainstorming this aspect as we go. Keep picking, it's a fun discussion.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX