Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

QB Pipeline

Started by newey-west, April 07, 2014, 07:41:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

newey-west

I was just thinking about all of the talented QB prospects that Arkansas has in the pipeline and I was trying to speculate as to how things might turn out.  Assuming that all of the prospects turn out, does this appear reasonably accurate?

YearStarterYearBackupYear3rd StringYear4td StringYear
2014Brandon AllenRS JuniorAustin AllenRS FreshmanAJ DerbySeniorRafe PeaveyRedshirt
2015Brandon AllenRS SeniorAustin AllenRS SophomoreRafe PeaveyRS FreshmanTy StoreyRedshirt
2016Austin AllenRS JuniorRafe PeaveyRS SophomoreTy StoreyRS Freshman
2017Austin AllenRS SeniorRafe PeaveyRS JuniorTy StoreyRS Sophomore
2018Rafe PeaveyRS SeniorTy StoreyRS Junior
2019Ty StoreyRS Senior

Wants2Win

Hope not. BA has too many limitations IMO. Can't imagine little brother being much different.

newey-west

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 07, 2014, 07:44:03 pm
Hope not. BA has too many limitations IMO. Can't imagine little brother being much different.

This could be true--but I think it's hard to unseat the incumbent.  I think that Rafe Peavey is going to have to beat out Austin Allen next year if he wants to start multiple years at QB.

PurpleBullHog

Somebody would transfer.  Peavey and Storey wouldn't both stick around in that situation.  But yes, it does appear that we have some solid talent t that position over he next several years.  Here's hoping they pan out like everyone expects them to. 

razorback44

You also have the kid coming out of Bentonville that Lunney says is the best he has ever coached.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

HometownHawg

Quote from: razorback44 on April 07, 2014, 11:13:52 pm
You also have the kid coming out of Bentonville that Lunney says is the best he has ever coached.
Kasey Ford. May lose this kid to baseball. He is better at baseball than he is football and that's saying something.

welchog

Quote from: HometownHawg on April 07, 2014, 11:21:47 pm
Kasey Ford. May lose this kid to baseball. He is better at baseball than he is football and that's saying something.
So was JFB.

MJ2

Good to try to plan ahead, but we forget how few years ago it was that the Hogs went thru 4 QB's early in the season until they finally gave a true freshman a chance - Matt Jones and the entire QB forecast changed for the next 4 years.

acey33

This should make for some good competition at the QB position and might make a couple of them better in the long run

DeltaBoy

We will have to wait and see how it all pans out.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bennyl08

I would guess that Ty will be starting his RS Freshman season. I would bet a lot that he will be starting his RS Sophomore season.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MultipleScoreGasms

Interesting.  You think he's that much better than Rafe?  Supposedly Rafe is more mobile, has a stronger arm, and is accruate as a passer.  Ty is more drop-back oriented, but could be a little more accurate.

bennyl08

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on April 08, 2014, 11:58:34 am
Interesting.  You think he's that much better than Rafe?  Supposedly Rafe is more mobile, has a stronger arm, and is accruate as a passer.  Ty is more drop-back oriented, but could be a little more accurate.

Rafe is certainly more mobile, but I would highly argue the accuracy. Rafe probably has a stronger arm, but not by much. If you assign Rafe's arm strength to 100, then Ty would be at 92 or something. Mallett would then come in at like 130 or so. As a sophomore, Ty was falling down being tackled, but through a 30 yard pass downfield on a rope, hitting his receiver in stride. Watching the rest of his highlights, I don't see any issue with his arm at all. I would place him somewhere in-between Tyler and Mallett as a player, in terms of mobility, arm, and pocket poise.

I think Rafe is good, but I'm not sure he beats out Austin or Ty. Could easily be wrong there. I think most agree that either Austin or Rafe will transfer, and I would venture a guess that most believe it will be Austin.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hoghiker

Not to be stupid, but you might want to work on your imagination a little bit. I bet Farve was better than his brother. If he had one. Brothers are different. Different gene combination, different time and space.

FANONTHEHILL

I have not seen a live game with Peavy and Storey, just film.  I have seen Peavy and Storey compete live in a 7 on 7 tournament.  I would say Peavy is more mobile, but quick release and arm strength go to Storey and it's not even close.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Hoggish1

Quote from: HometownHawg on April 07, 2014, 11:21:47 pm

He'll play football in college then baseball as a career.  That's why Jameis Winston announced he was playing the next two years at FSU, signaling he plans to play ML baseball after college.

root_hawg

Storey starts no later than 2017

newey-west

Quote from: root_hawg on April 08, 2014, 09:44:34 pm
Storey starts no later than 2017

Since you've made such a specific prediction, mind explaining how you get to this point?  It seems that either Austin Allen or Rafe Peavey will stand in his way.  Do both of these guys transfer? ...or retire due to injuries?

bennyl08

Quote from: newey-west on April 08, 2014, 10:21:47 pm
Since you've made such a specific prediction, mind explaining how you get to this point?  It seems that either Austin Allen or Rafe Peavey will stand in his way.  Do both of these guys transfer? ...or retire due to injuries?

Just being an upperclassmen doesn't guarantee you the job. Being the player does.

newey-west

April 08, 2014, 11:09:35 pm #19 Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 09:17:39 am by newey-west
Quote from: bennyl08 on April 08, 2014, 10:44:55 pm
Just being an upperclassmen doesn't guarantee you the job. Being the player does.

I completely agree.

However, I think that an underclassmen unseating an incumbent starter is rather uncommon (especially an underclassmen with two highly recruited upperclassmen in front of him on the depth chart).

Tim Harris

Not all of the QBs on campus will stay here the entire time.  Whether people like it or not B. Allen will be the starter this year and most likely next year as a SR.  Then in the spring of 2016 we have A. Allen (RS JR), Peavey (RS So), and Storey (RS Fr) battle it out for starting QB job.  Depending on who wins the job someone will transfer out to get playing time.

This is a problem we aren't used to having but many of the top colleges go through it every year.  When guys hit their JR year if they aren't the starter they go somewhere else to get playing time.  Hopefully we can continue adding a top rated QB each year.  We need this type of depth at all positions.

root_hawg

Seen all 3 play in HS and feel like Storey is the best of the three; with that said will still be surprised to see Storey on campus, think he goes elsewhere but if he does he starts RS freshman year

870hogfan

Quote from: root_hawg on April 09, 2014, 07:27:04 pm
Seen all 3 play in HS and feel like Storey is the best of the three; with that said will still be surprised to see Storey on campus, think he goes elsewhere but if he does he starts RS freshman year

Storey will be an Hog.

root_hawg

Hope so but not his type of offense

goodguytex

IIRC... Austin Allen was a four star qb out of HS recruited by OU, Alabama and Notre Dame. Can the same be said for say.... Casey Dick? I think the talent is there with Austin. Will he overtake his brother? Who knows.

secneahog

Quote from: root_hawg on April 09, 2014, 07:32:00 pm
Hope so but not his type of offense

Since you've set in the stands ad watched him play you know that the guy won't stay a Hog.

Everything the kid has said shows he is all Hog. He's even recruiting to help his class be strong.

We came off a 3-9 season and we offer and he commits.

Sorry but you have no clue what you are talking about.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

We appear to have 4 very good QBs on hand if Story hangs on and that's not counting Derby or Mitchell at all.  We'll also have 14 years of potential to use up in the next 6 seasons.  Some folks won't stay and not play.  If we count Derby for 1 and Mitchell for 4 years then its 19 years of potential to be used in the next 6 years.  Don't be surprised if Derby isn't the backup again this coming season.

root_hawg

Since you've set in the stands ad watched him play you know that the guy won't stay a Hog.
(Didn't say he wouldn't stay; said he would start by rs freshman year)

Everything the kid has said shows he is all Hog. He's even recruiting to help his class be strong. We came off a 3-9 season and we offer and he commits.
(Hope he stays committed, know he is recruiting but this isn't his type of offense)

(Are you drunk or can you not read, I typed slow so you could comprehend)

secneahog

Ok?   .......surprised he's on campus....think he goes elsewhere...don't worry about typing slow...just know what your saying when someone calls you out on it.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

root_hawg

Keep reading...he will start if he stays. 

secneahog

Quote from: root_hawg on April 10, 2014, 07:45:55 am
Keep reading...he will start if he stays.

Just because you say he will start if he stays doesn't take away what you wrote first.
Are you 12 ?

bennyl08

Seen all 3 play in HS and feel like Storey is the best of the three; with that said will still be surprised to see Storey on campus, think he goes elsewhere

QuoteSince you've set in the stands ad watched him play you know that the guy won't stay a Hog.

Everything the kid has said shows he is all Hog. He's even recruiting to help his class be strong.

We came off a 3-9 season and we offer and he commits.

Quotebut if he does he starts RS freshman year

Hopefully that clears things up.

root_hawg

No hope he stays, said would be surprised if he does not that he is going to.  I would surmise by your argument that 12 is your IQ.

bennyl08

Root, what type of offense is "his" type of offense?

I would say his ideal offense is one that takes advantage of his arm, while minimizes what he has to do with his legs. While he is certainly more mobile than one might expect given his frame and being a drop back passer, his isn't a mobile qb. So, utilizing his arm would mean pushing the ball deep and using out routes and the such as opposed to a passing game that uses mostly those short bubble screens and crossing routes. Giving him a clean pocket will be something that our OL is good at. Having a strong running game will help with that too. Moreover, having a strong running game enhances play action which is where the deep passing attack is most often utilized.

So, a team with a good OL, and a strong running game will best allow him to show off his skills, IMO. I.e. the Bama offense with AJ, LSU's offense with Mettenberger and Cam Cameron, the Ravens offense with Flacco, Indy's offense with Luck, or Petrino's offense in 2010 with Knile and Mallett.

870hogfan

Isn't he a pro-style QB? How is he not his type of offense?

secneahog

Who knows with this guy. He says stuff then backs out of it.  Watch he will back out about saying this isn't his style of offense because you two called him out on it.

root_hawg

More of an OU type of offense, shotgun and throw it around

MuskogeeHogFan

I think the kid is a great prospect and obviously other schools than Arkansas realize this as well. The only thing that concerns me is the level at which he is playing and accumulating his stats. That certainly doesn't mean that he can't come in and be the kind of player that everyone expects him to be eventually, but to say that he will definitely start by his R/Fr year might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe in his R/Soph year with three years in the system and some significant playing time the year before?
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2014, 07:19:16 am
I think the kid is a great prospect and obviously other schools than Arkansas realize this as well. The only thing that concerns me is the level at which he is playing and accumulating his stats. That certainly doesn't mean that he can't come in and be the kind of player that everyone expects him to be eventually, but to say that he will definitely start by his R/Fr year might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe in his R/Soph year with three years in the system and some significant playing time the year before?

Let me first start with - I have been out of the state for too long, so I don't know how good high school football is. But when I watched his highlights he SEEMS to not have a strong arm. Considering Charleston isn't known as a football Mecca - what is the excitement about?

Serious discussion, so Storey fans please don't flame - just explain.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Dominicanhog

Peavy starts for 2.5 years as a redshirt sophomore and Kasey Ford starts for 2 years as a RSJ.

BTW... I think AA plays by mid season and he and BA share the job next year... Peavy takes over by mid season 2016.

870hogfan

Quote from: root_hawg on April 11, 2014, 07:50:59 pm
More of an OU type of offense, shotgun and throw it around

If you say so. Coach B will throw it just ask Russell Wilson.

Tim Harris

Quote from: 870hogfan on April 12, 2014, 07:52:23 am

If you say so. Coach B will throw it just ask Russell Wilson.

Wilson's only season at Wisconsin he only threw it 15 times more than we did last year. Pretty much one extra pass a game. He just happened to get more out of those throws than Allen/Derby did last year.

gmarv

seems to me wilson was happy with his time under bb,so theres that.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Tim Harris on April 12, 2014, 08:12:23 am
Wilson's only season at Wisconsin he only threw it 15 times more than we did last year. Pretty much one extra pass a game. He just happened to get more out of those throws than Allen/Derby did last year.

Seattle's run/pass ratio was 60/40 in 2013.  Arkansas's was 65/35.  Bielema was 65/35 at Wisconsin. Chaney was 50/50 at Tennessee. 

We have some guys on campus now who can throw the ball.  I think we'll see a 60/40 ratio this year and potentially more passing in the future depending on personnel. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hvsupastar

Shouldn't this be QB Depth Chart. Not pipeline. I always thought of recruiting a pipeline
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 12, 2014, 09:30:25 am
Seattle's run/pass ratio was 60/40 in 2013.  Arkansas's was 65/35.  Bielema was 65/35 at Wisconsin. Chaney was 50/50 at Tennessee. 

We have some guys on campus now who can throw the ball.  I think we'll see a 60/40 ratio this year and potentially more passing in the future depending on personnel. 

Agreed.
Go Hogs Go!

mhuff

Quote from: newey-west on April 07, 2014, 07:50:19 pm
This could be true--but I think it's hard to unseat the incumbent.  I think that Rafe Peavey is going to have to beat out Austin Allen next year if he wants to start multiple years at QB.

Well, that is a truism. However, it is true everyday. If you do not show results, another player will get his chance. I do not believe in playing favorites or the seniority system. Let the best man play. That is what sports should be at all levels. Not the case everywhere.

bennyl08

Quote from: locusbug on April 12, 2014, 07:29:00 am
Let me first start with - I have been out of the state for too long, so I don't know how good high school football is. But when I watched his highlights he SEEMS to not have a strong arm. Considering Charleston isn't known as a football Mecca - what is the excitement about?

There are several things that are very hard to project from a lower tier of football up to a higher tier. However, there are several parts of the tape that you can watch and project. For example, release. How long does it take for the ball to leave his hand once he decides to throw? How long does it take the ball to get to the receiver once he has thrown it? The ball isn't going to fly any slower or faster because of the talent of the other team. Granted, his ability to throw it cleanly is a function of the defense, so you need to keep an eye out for that too. Does his arm strength change under pressure? Does he hit the receiver accurately? Even if the receiver isn't tightly covered, an accurate pass in stride is still an accurate pass. However, how often is he throwing into tight coverage? Does he throw the receiver open? Footwork is also something that happens regardless of talent. Granted, it is easier to have good fw if you aren't under pressure, but does he keep his footwork while under duress? Does he look to run, or step up into the pocket?

From what I have seen from his tape, his arm strength is somewhere b/w Wilson and Mallett.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 12, 2014, 01:18:07 pm
There are several things that are very hard to project from a lower tier of football up to a higher tier. However, there are several parts of the tape that you can watch and project. For example, release. How long does it take for the ball to leave his hand once he decides to throw? How long does it take the ball to get to the receiver once he has thrown it? The ball isn't going to fly any slower or faster because of the talent of the other team. Granted, his ability to throw it cleanly is a function of the defense, so you need to keep an eye out for that too. Does his arm strength change under pressure? Does he hit the receiver accurately? Even if the receiver isn't tightly covered, an accurate pass in stride is still an accurate pass. However, how often is he throwing into tight coverage? Does he throw the receiver open? Footwork is also something that happens regardless of talent. Granted, it is easier to have good fw if you aren't under pressure, but does he keep his footwork while under duress? Does he look to run, or step up into the pocket?

From what I have seen from his tape, his arm strength is somewhere b/w Wilson and Mallett.

That may be Benny, but it all has to be compared to the level of talent against which he competes. A kid can have excellent timing and release and even throw into coverage and throw to the proper shoulder in any given situation, but if he is playing against lesser talent he can look like an All Star when against greater talent, he might not look like such an All Star.

And I am not saying that he won't be great for Arkansas because he might very well be, but I think he is going to need to matriculate at a higher level for a while before we have the true answer to that.
Go Hogs Go!

JayBell

Quote from: locusbug on April 12, 2014, 07:29:00 amLet me first start with - I have been out of the state for too long, so I don't know how good high school football is. But when I watched his highlights he SEEMS to not have a strong arm. Considering Charleston isn't known as a football Mecca - what is the excitement about?

Per his arm strength, I don't know what highlights would indicate he doesn't have a strong arm.  When I watched Charleston handle Harding Academy in the playoffs, I was amazed at how the HA secondary just let him throw over the top of them time after time after time, literally.  Storey was tossing 40-50+ yard bombs like it was nothing, and he was hitting his receivers in stride too.  It was some of the best pass-and-catch football I've seen in Arkansas since Rhett Lashlee at Shiloh Christian.

He may not be able to throw it 80-90 yards like Mallett, but how many quarterbacks can?  If Storey is able to throw the deep ball that easy as a junior in high school, I have no worries about his arm strength after an offseason or two at the college level.

As per Charleston, it is one of the elite football programs in the state, especially outside of the monster 7A and 6A programs.  Charleston is not as big as the other top programs like Batesville, Fairview and Pulaski Academy in 5A or Warren, Nashville and Shiloh Christian in 4A, but Charleston is the absolute cream of the crop below that.

Now, the excitement isn't about him being a starter for Charleston, who does try to play bigger teams when they can.  But Storey is getting offers from other teams like Alabama, Auburn and Louisville.  It isn't just that Storey looks for good for Charleston, it's how good he looks for Charleston.  I had to see it in person to understand the hype.