Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shane Henry, 6'8" JUCO PF

Started by The_Iceman, April 07, 2014, 03:04:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

azhog10

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 08, 2014, 10:01:37 am
In watching that video and the others, I'd guess he's probably right at 6'7", but likely with just under a 6'10"+ wingspan and excellent vertical.
Kid definitely can rise. On a couple of those put back dunks his head was very close to the rim. With those long arms, I don't mind if he calls himself 6'8".

JayBell

Arkansas could definitely use a guy that can bang around inside instead of adding a fourth guard to this class.  Adding another post option makes it easier for Anderson to play Portis and Kingsley at the same time.  Henry and/or Thompson might not play a ton next season, but if they can spell Portis and Kingsley at times, then Anderson can leave his best five out on the court together more.

Big Nasty 34

He's probably taller than Clarke then. I can't imagine there being a more similar guy to Coty. And to say Clarke was a much better 3 point shooter isn't necessarily true. He was 15-32 while Henry was 7-16, neither shot a ton. Now if Henry hits like Coty did is senior year, we will have a good one!

Breems

Quote from: JayBell on April 08, 2014, 10:26:29 am
Arkansas could definitely use a guy that can bang around inside instead of adding a fourth guard to this class.  Adding another post option makes it easier for Anderson to play Portis and Kingsley at the same time.  Henry and/or Thompson might not play a ton next season, but if they can spell Portis and Kingsley at times, then Anderson can leave his best five out on the court together more.

I still don't think we see Portis and Kingsley on the floor together unless Thompson is a huge surprise.

I'd like to see it because I believe they complement each other offfensively, the rim would be extremely well protected, and it would help on the glass while still allowing us to play our game.

My thoughts this year were that we couldn't afford to have Kingsley and Portis on the floor together because we couldn't afford to have them both off the floor together (remember the small frontcourts we had to play in Mike's first 2 years?). Perhaps that will change next year, but I doubt it.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hollywood_HOGan45

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: ZoneBuster34 on April 08, 2014, 10:31:27 am
He's probably taller than Clarke then. I can't imagine there being a more similar guy to Coty. And to say Clarke was a much better 3 point shooter isn't necessarily true. He was 15-32 while Henry was 7-16, neither shot a ton. Now if Henry hits like Coty did is senior year, we will have a good one!

Didn't say Henry is a bad shooter; not enough data. But if you watch him on video, it's not something he looks for. And he's a bad free throw shooter where Clarke was already good. Bad free throw shooters usually are not good enough outside shooters to take a lot of shots.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

I'm more intrigued with his rebounding and shotblocking ability.  As someone said earlier, those are usually things that can translate to a higher level more easily than scoring/shooting.

The_Iceman

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 08, 2014, 11:51:02 am
I'm more intrigued with his rebounding and shotblocking ability.  As someone said earlier, those are usually things that can translate to a higher level more easily than scoring/shooting.

Agreed. I like how aggressive he looks on the defensive end. A player like Jordan Mickey at LSU is only 6'8" 220lb and averaged 3 blocks a game in the SEC. Our staff has done a good job of adding muscle to lean bodies like Portis, Qualls, Williams, and Kingsley. Maybe our new S&C coach can do some work with Henry.

-Blu

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 08, 2014, 10:59:18 am
when will he make a decision?

Brad Winton of JUCO recruiting said "soon". 

And someone let me know if I'm being over optimistic, but that seems to bold well for us.  Coach Anderson has said he's doing his One on One's this week, so we'll know who's staying and who's going more than likely by the end of the week.  That seems to match well with Henry's "soon" status of announcing.  Because as of right now we have no scholly's available to offer, so he technically doesn't have an offer to accept from us.  So it could be a matter of him waiting to see if we have a scholarship available and if we do, then he'll be the guy to get it.  I would have to think if he's leaning towards VA Tech and wants to commit to them, he could go ahead and do it, because they lost commitments from this class so they have plenty of scholarships available.

OnTheHillHogFan

He doesn't have an offer according to Dudley Dawson
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Hawg Red

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 08, 2014, 04:44:24 pm
He doesn't have an offer according to Dudley Dawson

Interesting.

It was also said that Durham didn't have an offer shortly before he committed. Not sure what to think, really. We'll see what happens.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2014, 04:55:36 pm
Interesting.

It was also said that Durham didn't have an offer shortly before he committed. Not sure what to think, really. We'll see what happens.

I doubt we would openly have an offer out to a guy when we don't have any openings. I bet if we learn at the end of the week one of our players is transferring, the public offer will be out there pretty quick.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 08, 2014, 04:56:43 pm
I doubt we would openly have an offer out to a guy when we don't have any openings. I bet if we learn at the end of the week one of our players is transferring, the public offer will be out there pretty quick.

Why do you doubt that when we had open offers to Atwood, Durham, Dickerson, and Purcell? Are you telling me Willie Atwood does not have a scholarship offer at this time?

Also, what defines a "public offer?"

The_Iceman

We had an opening when we offered those guys.

jjdlc

Wagner is transferring, so looks like a spot just opened up.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2014, 05:03:13 pm
Why do you doubt that when we had open offers to Atwood, Durham, Dickerson, and Purcell? Are you telling me Willie Atwood does not have a scholarship offer at this time?

Also, what defines a "public offer?"

To be fair Hawg Red, when all those guys got offers we did have 1 scholarship available.  So technically we could offer as many guys as we wanted, until someone commits.  It's not like they are going to make an announcement and say the offers are no longer on the table.  And Purcell never had an offer.

I doubt a guy would go around and say he's choosing between 2 schools if they staff hadn't offered him or told him they are offering him.  My guess is they told him they expect a transfer, and if it happens there would be a scholarship available to him.

Hawg Red

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 08, 2014, 06:46:12 pm
We had an opening when we offered those guys.

So now you're telling me we were only going to take Atwood or Dickerson, and not both?

Dude. Come on.

How about this? We had Portis and Kingsley signed to LOI, putting us one scholarship over the limit for the next season with no seniors. So....whatcha got for that one? Or are you just ready to cut the crap and admit that they offer guys even when they don't have a spot officially open (because that's what happens and we all know it)?

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on April 08, 2014, 06:50:49 pm
To be fair Hawg Red, when all those guys got offers we did have 1 scholarship available.  So technically we could offer as many guys as we wanted, until someone commits.  It's not like they are going to make an announcement and say the offers are no longer on the table.  And Purcell never had an offer.

I doubt a guy would go around and say he's choosing between 2 schools if they staff hadn't offered him or told him they are offering him.  My guess is they told him they expect a transfer, and if it happens there would be a scholarship available to him.

Again, so you're telling me we were only going to take Atwood or Dickerson? Why all the talk of the package deal on your part, then?

It's more likely they told him he had an offer but he couldn't publicly commit until someone officially transfers or they announce their transfer.

Hawg Red

And I'm still waiting for a definition on "public offer."

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2014, 06:52:01 pm
Again, so you're telling me we were only going to take Atwood or Dickerson? Why all the talk of the package deal on your part, then?

It's more likely they told him he had an offer but he couldn't publicly commit until someone officially transfers or they announce their transfer.

No, your misunderstanding what I'm saying.

As long as you have 1 scholarship available, you can offer whoever you want and as many people as you want.  You still have a scholarship to give away, so your still shopping that scholarship and looking.  While the goal may be to take 2 guys, you technically don't have the 2 scholarships to do it.  That means that staff knows someone intends to transfer.  But, they really can't let the public know that's their intentions, even though most of us can put the pieces together.  It's like being politically correct, if that makes sense.

And I think the biggest reason is because it just wouldn't look good if you got 1 scholarship, and you take commits from like 2 or 3 guys.  That could cause problems in the locker room, with guys knowing one or two or them may be asked to leave, and just causes distractions.  The situation with Dickerson and Atwood, I'm sure they wouldn't have had both guys commit at the same time with one scholarship available, they would have had 1 commit, and the other wait until another scholarship was available, or had them both wait, but let them know they want both of them.

And a "Public Offer" means exactly that, everybody knows about it, and it's well known that we will take your commit whenever your ready.  A "silent offer" would probably be like what the Henry situation, or maybe even Dusty Hannahs situation.  The staff may have said, we want you here, but we have to work out the scholarship situation first, so don't tell anyone you have an offer, but you really do, we just have to work some things out first.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2014, 06:51:12 pm
How about this? We had Portis and Kingsley signed to LOI, putting us one scholarship over the limit for the next season with no seniors.

My guess is, if they did it then, maybe Powell or Young told them well ahead of time they planned to leave no matter what, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  The players knew where that other scholarship was coming from, so it wasn't a distraction or anything like that.

I remember guys saying even before the start of last year's season that Powell said he was gone no matter what.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on April 08, 2014, 07:15:25 pm
My guess is, if they did it then, maybe Powell or Young told them well ahead of time they planned to leave no matter what, so it wasn't that big of a deal.  The players knew where that other scholarship was coming from, so it wasn't a distraction or anything like that.

I remember guys saying even before the start of last year's season that Powell said he was gone no matter what.

Everything you just said is what I'm trying to say...

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2014, 07:25:23 pm
Everything you just said is what I'm trying to say...

Ah gotcha, we're on the same page then  :)

And, I think if this is the only transfer we get with Wagner, I think we'll bring in Hannahs.  I think Williams would have to leave for us to get Henry.  I think Dudley was trying to hint in his post that Williams is staying.  I bet the staff told Henry to wait and see Williams decision, before making his decision.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on April 08, 2014, 07:28:19 pm
And, I think if this is the only transfer we get with Wagner, I think we'll bring in Hannahs.  I think Williams would have to leave for us to get Henry.  I think Dudley was trying to hint in his post that Williams is staying.  I bet the staff told Henry to wait and see Williams decision, before making his decision.

I would have to think the same, though it's also still possible that Qualls could leave (hopefully not). I think Williams is the logical candidate (vented frustrations on Twitter, doesn't seem to have "bought in", might or might not get more minutes next season).

I just think there's something to this thing with the Henry kid. The staff has been recruiting the whole time in the late period as if they wanted a guard and a forward. I personally think Henry does have an offer and maybe he slipped up telling Winton what he did. That makes more sense to me than him thinking he has an offer when he doesn't. We're talking about his final 2 schools and making an announcement. It's happened before, though, but I don't think he has misunderstood anything.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2014, 07:37:08 pm
I personally think Henry does have an offer and maybe he slipped up telling Winton what he did. That makes more sense to me than him thinking he has an offer when he doesn't. We're talking about his final 2 schools and making an announcement. It's happened before, though, but I don't think he has misunderstood anything.

You may be on to something with that.  Because it's very unlikely a kid would name someone in his final 2 and the staff hadn't expressed to him that he either has an offer or will have an offer.  But, your probably right they probably told him to keep it quite until they get the scholarship available, and he probably did an interview with Winton and said a little too much. 

And, I'm in the belief that the ball is in our court with Henry, he's just waiting to see what we do.  Because the "soon" statement just lines up to well with it being known that CMA is doing his one on one's this week.  What else could be the hold-up?  If he wanted to commit to VT right now, I'm sure he could, they've actually lost commitments.  So, my thoughts are staff told him to hold up we may have a scholarship available, he's waiting to see if we do.  If we don't he commits to VT.

lookawayquick

Is Henry a better prospect than J Williams?  Seem to be about the same size.  Neither appear to be accomplished shooters.

Hawg Red

Quote from: lookawayquick on April 08, 2014, 08:13:42 pm
Is Henry a better prospect than J Williams?  Seem to be about the same size.  Neither appear to be accomplished shooters.

Remains to be seen.

But what we know about JaCorey is that he tries way too hard to stand out when he's in the game and he's publicly pouted on Twitter about lack of playing time. He most certainly has the tools and ability to be a valuable piece of what Anderson is trying to do, but for the reason I mentioned above, I would not be upset if he chose to transfer. I also would not be upset if he didn't, but he needs to work on his attitude (as is common with young guys).

I will be honest that I have not seen Henry play, but he does sound like a better defender. But I don't think any of us could project one way or the other.

lookawayquick

Let's hope J Williams matures physically and psychologically this off season. He could be a big plus next season if.......

MGB1229

Jacory and Alandise need to go to shot selection school in a bad way this summer.  If they would just play within their abilities then they would be great.  It's when they get 3 happy and try to get all Allen Iverson that I get nervous. 

Harris needs to use his 40 inch pythons to rip somebodies head off and Williams needs to be the hustle energy guy that defends, runs the floor and gets easy putbacks.

rusvegashog

That Florida State player was hilarious in Super Troopes.

rude1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 08, 2014, 08:32:30 pm
Remains to be seen.

But what we know about JaCorey is that he tries way too hard to stand out when he's in the game and he's publicly pouted on Twitter about lack of playing time. He most certainly has the tools and ability to be a valuable piece of what Anderson is trying to do, but for the reason I mentioned above, I would not be upset if he chose to transfer. I also would not be upset if he didn't, but he needs to work on his attitude (as is common with young guys).

I will be honest that I have not seen Henry play, but he does sound like a better defender. But I don't think any of us could project one way or the other.
Jacorey is frustrating to watch, kid has all the tools to be a valuable piece to the puzzle, instead he seems to be hell bent on proving he is some kind of offensive juggernaut, resulting in more bad plays and turnovers than positive plays. I still remember the game he got in late for garbage time after CMA had reigned in his playing time, he literally shot it every time it touched his hands on the offensive end.

Atlhogfan1

6-8 180 and a PF?  At what level?  Is he really still 180?  Clarke 6-7 232 and not a PF.  Doesn't seem Henry would be one either. As far as adding strength and weight, this won't happen till he gets to campus.  Only two seasons of eligibility and one will be taken getting him physically ready to play and used to playing at a higher weight.  Seems like another JC reach with this staff. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Don't expect Jacorey Williams to depart. That seems to be decided now. If Arkansas signs anyone else this spring besides the juco PG, it probably won't be Henry.
[CENSORED]!

The Hogfather

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2014, 11:19:52 am
Don't expect Jacorey Williams to depart. That seems to be decided now. If Arkansas signs anyone else this spring besides the juco PG, it probably won't be Henry.

Darn.

mhuff

Quote from: MGB1229 on April 08, 2014, 09:32:47 pm
Jacory and Alandise need to go to shot selection school in a bad way this summer.  If they would just play within their abilities then they would be great.  It's when they get 3 happy and try to get all Allen Iverson that I get nervous. 

Harris needs to use his 40 inch pythons to rip somebodies head off and Williams needs to be the hustle energy guy that defends, runs the floor and gets easy putbacks.

+1   Spot on
I really doubted Williams would be back.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 08, 2014, 11:50:39 pm
6-8 180 and a PF?  At what level?  Is he really still 180?  Clarke 6-7 232 and not a PF.  Doesn't seem Henry would be one either. As far as adding strength and weight, this won't happen till he gets to campus.  Only two seasons of eligibility and one will be taken getting him physically ready to play and used to playing at a higher weight.  Seems like another JC reach with this staff. 

I missed where he was listed at 180. Thought I saw an article with him listed at 220. Also, curious as to what "reaches" this staff has had with JUCO players. Coty seems to be the only player I can remember that CMA has brought on from the JUCO ranks. Am I forgetting some?

MGB1229

Quote from: azhog10 on April 09, 2014, 05:57:27 pm
I missed where he was listed at 180. Thought I saw an article with him listed at 220. Also, curious as to what "reaches" this staff has had with JUCO players. Coty seems to be the only player I can remember that CMA has brought on from the JUCO ranks. Am I forgetting some?

I missed that too.  I don't think there is anything about the guy that looks like a reach.  We can always use a good rebounder and shot blocker. 

Beaverfever

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 09, 2014, 11:19:52 am
Why would we not bring in someone else?  I'm sick of not using all our scholarships. 

Atlhogfan1

https://sports.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Henry-154058

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/4/8/5595496/hokies-offer-juco-forward-shane-henry

"As is often the case there are conflicting numbers on his weight, but he appears to be sub-200 pounds at the moment. That could easily change with a summer in a division I weight room."

I didn't say he is still 180.  I posed the question if he is still 180.  There may be an article suggesting he is 220. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: Beaverfever on April 09, 2014, 07:14:22 pm
Why would we not bring in someone else?  I'm sick of not using all our scholarships. 
Maybe because we are already bringing in four new guys this year.  Nothing wrong with getting the right fit instead of using the scholarship just to use them.  NCAA teams rarely use a 13 man rotation.  Maybe until we starting winning games and get back in the NCAA, we are having a hard time getting all the guys we want.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 08, 2014, 09:53:53 am
While Arkansas is going after a feel-good story in Henry, here's what Auburn's recruiting right now:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/chopping-block/os-fsu-basketball-arrested-eating-marijuana-20140120,0,5703213.post

The guy was released from his letter of intent by Florida State. But Auburn doesn't care.

Just eating his greens. You have to eats your greens.
This is my non-signature signature.

chiefhawg

The staff has in the past had at least one contributor from the JUCO ranks. Steffon Hannah, Darryl Butterfield, Keith Ramsey and Ricardo Ratliffe all at Missouri. They started off here with some unique things to work with because of the APR issues.

outlawhogeywells

after looking at his video I don't see that he is 220, but he is bigger than 180. 
Still looks smoother than Williams with a better shot

HawgTide

Quote from: lookawayquick on April 08, 2014, 08:13:42 pm
Personally I was looking forward to Henry.He looks like a high energy guy that understands his role is defense, rebounding and shot blocking.If Jacorey stays hopefully he will buy into the team concept and quit jacking so many bad shots.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2014, 07:22:29 pm
https://sports.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Shane-Henry-154058

http://www.gobblercountry.com/2014/4/8/5595496/hokies-offer-juco-forward-shane-henry

"As is often the case there are conflicting numbers on his weight, but he appears to be sub-200 pounds at the moment. That could easily change with a summer in a division I weight room."

I didn't say he is still 180.  I posed the question if he is still 180.  There may be an article suggesting he is 220.
I see. I guess if one was still asking about him being 180 are they also still asking about him being 6'4 like he was his senior year in high school?

azhog10

Quote from: chiefhawg on April 09, 2014, 08:19:32 pm
The staff has in the past had at least one contributor from the JUCO ranks. Steffon Hannah, Darryl Butterfield, Keith Ramsey and Ricardo Ratliffe all at Missouri. They started off here with some unique things to work with because of the APR issues.
I knew at Mizzou he did really well with JUCO's i jsut meant at Arkansas since that's who we were talking about. But if we are including Mizzou CMA has had very few "reaches" for JUCO players.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2014, 12:08:22 pm
I see. I guess if one was still asking about him being 180 are they also still asking about him being 6'4 like he was his senior year in high school?

Why would one ask that when he is listed at 6-8 at Georgia Perimeter?  6-8 and 180 by at least one site.

chiefhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on April 10, 2014, 12:10:03 pm
I knew at Mizzou he did really well with JUCO's i jsut meant at Arkansas since that's who we were talking about. But if we are including Mizzou CMA has had very few "reaches" for JUCO players.
Ok

Hogfaniam

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 07, 2014, 04:38:07 pm
What happens to tattoos when you grow 3 inches?

Unless they are on his legs, nothing.  Great out of left field question, though.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hogimus Prime