Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shane Henry, 6'8" JUCO PF

Started by The_Iceman, April 07, 2014, 03:04:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Brad Winton ‏@JucoRecruiting

"Shane Henry (6'8/F/2014) of Georgia Perimeter JC is down to two schools. He will decide soon between Virginia Tech and Arkansas"

Video:

Really good article on him:
http://depts.gpc.edu/athletic/mbball/mbnews.html

Stats:
http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2013-14/div1/players/shanehenry3own

Breems

Between us and the Buzzmeister.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Hawg Red

How did we not know about this before now?

chiefhawg

It is the old Willie Atwood diversion trick.

mhuff

+1 to both you guys for the info

The_Iceman

Quote from: chiefhawg on April 07, 2014, 03:24:23 pm
It is the old Willie Atwood diversion trick.

I don't know, but this sure came out of no where. He looks like a pretty impressive athlete on video.

Kind of a late bloomer. Was 6'5" his senior year in high school and grew to 6'8" by his soph year of JUCO. He looks big out on the floor because of his athleticism and wingspan.

bphi11ips

What happens to tattoos when you grow 3 inches?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

PonderinHog

The_Iceman

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 07, 2014, 04:38:07 pm
What happens to tattoos when you grow 3 inches?

Didn't mess him up too bad:

Dwight_K_Shrute

Would be a decent pick up.  Conf defensive player of the year.  Average 4.7 bpg while the next closest guy in the conference was 2.6.  12.2 rpg.  and 51% shooting percentage.  Granted against Juco competion but you look for gaudy numbers when looking at Juco guys and those are some damn gaudy defensive and rebounding numbers.  We need some muscle out there and this kid looks to have it.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Danny J

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 07, 2014, 05:05:41 pm
Would be a decent pick up.  Conf defensive player of the year.  Average 4.7 bpg while the next closest guy in the conference was 2.6.  12.2 rpg.  and 51% shooting percentage.  Granted against Juco competion but you look for gaudy numbers when looking at Juco guys and those are some damn gaudy defensive and rebounding numbers.  We need some muscle out there and this kid looks to have it.

chiefhawg

Seems to be in the Coty Clarke mold.

The real Hogules

In his last game as a Jaguar Henry had a double/double - 19 points & 17 rebounds.

That's damn good, even at a Juco!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

-Blu

Seems like we always have names that pop up out of the blue.  Looking at his stats, seems to be a defensive guy.  4.7 BPG on any level is pretty impressive.

Having a second unit consisting of Durham, Miles, Henry, and Kingsley would really cause some problems on the defensive end.

rzrbk4life

Looks to be a pretty solid player. Would be a great pick up
Let's call those hogs!!!!

MGB1229

Quote from: -Blu on April 07, 2014, 05:56:43 pm
Seems like we always have names that pop up out of the blue.  Looking at his stats, seems to be a defensive guy.  4.7 BPG on any level is pretty impressive.

Having a second unit consisting of Durham, Miles, Henry, and Kingsley would really cause some problems on the defensive end.

Throw Babb in there to go with them and that's a really big second wave.  Be interesting to see how Thompson develops as well. 

chiefhawg

Lets get him first. I have had my hopes dashed to many times in the recent past.

MGB1229

Quote from: chiefhawg on April 07, 2014, 06:22:13 pm
Lets get him first. I have had my hopes dashed to many times in the recent past.

Lol.  I feel your pain.  Hopefully this one will be different.  He seems tailor-made for what we do. 

Hogimus Prime

If chooses Arkansas who leaves?

mhuff

stacking

love those stats. seems like he would fit great in our style. need some more defensive presence down low. good example of mike putting in work and finding 40 minutes of hell type guys. WPS

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: MGB1229 on April 07, 2014, 06:24:06 pm
Lol.  I feel your pain.  Hopefully this one will be different.  He seems tailor-made for what we do.
Jack up bad 3's early in the shot clock, foul a lot, ignore people driving in the lane and spotting up for threes, not rebound, and lose on the road?
All Gas, No Brakes!

Breems

Those are really impressive stats.

The "effort" stats often seem to translate to DI ball more smoothly than the guys who score in bunches. For recent examples, see Delvon Johnson and Coty Clarke > Marvell Waithe.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

MGB1229

Quote from: Deep Shoat on April 07, 2014, 07:19:23 pm
Jack up bad 3's early in the shot clock, foul a lot, ignore people driving in the lane and spotting up for threes, not rebound, and lose on the road?

Wow.  You really nailed it.  That's exactly what I was thinking about. Nice work.

chiefhawg

What if Harris is leaving? He graduates in May and could be eligible if he transferred say back to Houston. I am told that he really likes H-town.

MGB1229

Quote from: Breems on April 07, 2014, 07:26:07 pm
Those are really impressive stats.

The "effort" stats often seem to translate to DI ball more smoothly than the guys who score in bunches. For recent examples, see Delvon Johnson and Coty Clarke > Marvell Waithe.

I agree man.  If he can rebound, block shots, run the floor and get after it defensively then he will be a welcome addition.  Athletically he is definitely there.   

FaytownHog

Arms are thin as a rail. Hope we can bulk him up if he comes here. We need us some MEN!

MGB1229

Quote from: FaytownHog on April 07, 2014, 07:43:37 pm
Arms are thin as a rail. Hope we can bulk him up if he comes here. We need us some MEN!

He does need to put some good weight on, but remember Nicky Davis?  That guy was 200 pounds soaking wet at 6'9 and managed to get 10 and 10 his senior year here.  This guy isn't that thin and seems to be a better athlete.  Hard to say how he will translate, but I think breems nailed it with the effort stats being the biggest factor for guys contributing early.

wupigsuey

Quote from: FaytownHog on April 07, 2014, 07:43:37 pm

Need a banger down low fosho
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

GS99

Quote from: wupigsuey on April 07, 2014, 08:06:11 pm
Need a banger down low fosho

But he's a perimeter player ;-)

Every year in the tourney I'm reminded how important it is to have tall quick athletes who can get offensive rebounds and challenge shots inside.

fieldturf

Not for sure he's 6-8, looks more like about 6-5.  We need a true 6-8 James Worthy type PF

HawgnCorona

Quote from: chiefhawg on April 07, 2014, 06:22:13 pm

That's true...
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

ballinhog

Just looked at his game log from this past season. In one game he had 20 points 15 rebounds and 15 blocked shots

PonderinHog

Quote from: ballinhog on April 07, 2014, 09:17:46 pm
Just looked at his game log from this past season. In one game he had 20 points 15 rebounds and 15 blocked shots
sign him up.

hvsupastar

Quote from: fieldturf on April 07, 2014, 08:56:45 pm
Not for sure he's 6-8, looks more like about 6-5.  We need a true 6-8 James Worthy type PF

Lol right. Who doesn't need a James Worthy type PF
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

MGB1229

Quote from: fieldturf on April 07, 2014, 08:56:45 pm

Alonzo Lane looked 6'5.  This guy looks quite a bit taller than that plus he has long arms and can sky.  Go get him. 

rzrbackramsfan

I'm a little bit psyched about this possible signing.  I don't think he could give a lot of minutes but quality minutes.

-Blu

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 07, 2014, 10:26:40 pm
I'm a little bit psyched about this possible signing.  I don't think he could give a lot of minutes but quality minutes.

I'm excited about the thought of getting him as well.  The thing that I really like about him is what Breems said, the skills he brings can translate easily to any level.  If your long/athletic and can get rebounds and block shots at the JUCO level, you can do that in D1 as well.  Sounds like he would be the perfect guy to come in with that second unit and just bring energy and play some solid defense for us.

-Blu

Quote from: MGB1229 on April 07, 2014, 06:20:06 pm
Throw Babb in there to go with them and that's a really big second wave.  Be interesting to see how Thompson develops as well.

Your right, I did forget Babb, and that's actually what he's known for as well.

A second string unit of....

Durham 6'1
Babb 6'5
Miles 6'7
Henry 6'8
Kingsley 6'9

To me that's an upgrade in our second string.  We got guys that come in with length, play aggressive defense, then you got Durham and Babb who can shoot the 3 ball, and get to the basket.  Now of course that's speculation, we're going to see what happens with Williams and Wagner, and of course you still got the Qualls rumors. 

But if everything works out, we could have a VERY solid team next year.

MGB1229

Quote from: -Blu on April 07, 2014, 10:46:54 pm

Durham 6'1
Babb 6'5
Miles 6'7
Henry 6'8
Kingsley 6'9

To me that's an upgrade in our second string.  We got guys that come in with length, play aggressive defense, then you got Durham and Babb who can shoot the 3 ball, and get to the basket.  Now of course that's speculation, we're going to see what happens with Williams and Wagner, and of course you still got the Qualls rumors. 

That's a pretty sweet lineup for second wave.  You have two really good ball handlers and shooters with three freak athletes that have some size.  Pretty big difference from this years squad in all facets.  Man we would see some high flying with Miles, Henry and Qualls in the game at the same time. 

Smithian

Looks like the Hogs are going to be a JUCO/transfer heavy program. Two JUCOs in this class and I think Miles will be third transfer in for the Hogs.

As long as they find good ones, it can work. I can't complain with those guys we have had so far.

The_Iceman

April 08, 2014, 06:44:15 am #42 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:07:59 am by The_Iceman
Quote from: -Blu on April 07, 2014, 10:46:54 pm

Durham 6'1
Babb 6'5
Miles 6'7
Henry 6'8
Kingsley 6'9

Switch Babb with Bell and I think that would be a decent 2nd unit. Babb isn't going to be ready quite yet year one IMO.

acey33

Quote from: The real Hogules on April 07, 2014, 05:23:32 pm
In his last game as a Jaguar Henry had a double/double - 19 points & 17 rebounds.

That's damn good, even at a Juco!

I don't think the Hogs had 17 reb. in a game as a team this year...We need him and would help replace CC

The_Iceman

I'm not sure how tall he is exactly. I'm not sure if he is a true 6'8", but on the court he plays that way with his length and athleticism. He plays with the type of energy our system needs.

I think he be a solid off the bench PF option for us, especially with his defense.

The_Iceman

Hawg Red

Very Coty Clarke-ish indeed. I like that. Guys that hit late growth spurts usually tend to end up being very productive.

Just reading the tea leaves and such, it appears that the staff is anticipating at least one transfer/departure. And it appears that Henry is their preference, followed by Hannahs.

Is there any word on when Henry plans to announce?

Biggus Piggus

https://twitter.com/JucoRecruiting/statuses/453259090546790400

This guy had the news yesterday. Henry looks like a direct replacement for Clarke. Better rebounder, better leaper, better finisher, better shotblocker, not a 3-point shooter though. Defensive player of the year in his conference.

http://depts.gpc.edu/athletic/mbball/mbnews.html#20140306

Henry shot only 60% at the line, another area where Clarke has him beat.

One question is the caliber of competition he faced. The class of that conference was South Georgia Tech. In his first game against SGT this season, Henry had 6 points, 6 rebounds, 1 block. At home vs. SGT, Henry had 16 points, 8 rebounds, 4 blocks before fouling out in an OT game.

This video from November lists Henry at 6-7.

[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

While Arkansas is going after a feel-good story in Henry, here's what Auburn's recruiting right now:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/blogs/chopping-block/os-fsu-basketball-arrested-eating-marijuana-20140120,0,5703213.post

The guy was released from his letter of intent by Florida State. But Auburn doesn't care.
[CENSORED]!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 08, 2014, 09:46:09 am
This video from November lists Henry at 6-7.

In watching that video and the others, I'd guess he's probably right at 6'7", but likely with just under a 6'10"+ wingspan and excellent vertical.