Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is this an explanation of Little Rocks decline in high school football?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 07, 2014, 11:49:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

gustofwind

The funding boils down to this.

Millage:

Fayetteville averages out to a 54.37
LR 46.4
NLR 48.3
Pulaski 40.7

This is from the Fayetteville SD website regarding athletic budget. Considering that the budget is well over $100 million, it's a lot of money.

3) What percentage of the district's budget is spent on athletics or administration?

Less than 2% of the district's budget is allocated to athletics. Donations from private donors to the athletic booster club enable the athletic programs to expand their programs without additional cost to the district.

The district also spends about 3.8% of the budget on administrative salaries. This includes all district administrators, principals, and assistant principals.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DLUXHOG on April 09, 2014, 08:58:09 am
this \/ is what LR doesn't have.... (no legs for their table)

But, I thought there was a LOT of big money in LR that the University of Arkansas would lose if they removed games from LR? If there is that much money there, as to influence games staying in LR (even though we lose potential revenues every time a game is played there), then why isn't there more emphasis among these big donors in terms of fund raising to help keep LRPS football on the map? Not being a S.A., I am truly asking. One would think that if they are so motivated to keep games at WMS, they would be more motivated to help keep a more generous pipeline of developed in-state talent headed to the U of A from the LR area?
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GsdHog on April 09, 2014, 06:42:49 pm
Because sometimes an addict has to hit rock bottom before they are ready for help

So you are saying that keeping a high level of high school football in the LR Public Schools isn't important enough at this point to the big money folks, who could help tip the scales the other way by helping to fund improvements, to get involved?
Go Hogs Go!

impact

No matter how much this board hates Nutt, ask our resident journalists how he was received at the LR Touchdown club.

Maybe he could play an ambassador role to revive LR football?
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GsdHog on April 09, 2014, 07:06:59 pm
Obviously you want to stir the pot of all problems LR as it relates to your agenda of GSD. 

Start your search of an answer of why the decline of football when it declined and see if if any other major change took place about the same time.

Then place you big donor hat on with the ego that goes along with it, and say to yourself who deserves my money and who does not.

Not stirring the pot at all, just asking legit questions.

As for your statement, please inform all of us.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: impact on April 09, 2014, 07:26:09 pm
No matter how much this board hates Nutt, ask our resident journalists how he was received at the LR Touchdown club.

Maybe he could play an ambassador role to revive LR football?

As I said earlier in the thread, maybe Nutt should be contracted to revive LR HS football.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: GsdHog on April 09, 2014, 08:22:17 pm
A person becomes successful because of desire, determination, and support from family. That is a basic statement.

A school is successful because the students, teachers, and school board have desire, determination, and the school has support from it's enrollment zone.  Another basic statement.

In those basic statements, if any one of those success components are broken on a large enough scale then the student and/or the school fails.

When those those basic success components are failing based on imposed mandates then you have failure.

Football is the least problem schools in Pulaski county have.

A voice in the wilderness.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GsdHog on April 09, 2014, 08:22:17 pm
A person becomes successful because of desire, determination, and support from family. That is a basic statement.

A school is successful because the students, teachers, and school board have desire, determination, and the school has support from it's enrollment zone.  Another basic statement.

In those basic statements, if any one of those success components are broken on a large enough scale then the student and/or the school fails.

When those those basic success components are failing based on imposed mandates then you have failure.

Football is the least problem schools in Pulaski county have.

I don't disagree with any of that and as I said earlier, I am not as familiar with the LR School System as many of you, which is why I posed the original question. I don't know all of the problems that LR has and I rely on those of you on here who are to help many of us who live out of state, understand these things.

This really wasn't ever meant to be a GSD argument, but with as much as I have heard about how the University would lose major financial support for moving games out of LR, that would then suggest that there should be more than adequate financial resources available to help restore the football programs in the LR metro area, if they were motivated to do so. Question is, why is that not happening?
Go Hogs Go!

immahog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2014, 08:17:51 am
Isn't that what this guy is supposed to be doing?

John Daniels
LRSD Athletic Director
Phone Number: (501) 447-2062
E-Mail: john.daniels@lrsd.org

"THIS GUY" was my high school football coach At Little rock hall from 2002-2005... He just became the AD a yr ago Good guy ......just hated that he made us run a freakin Wishbone offense like we had 300 lbs lineman
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: immahog on April 10, 2014, 07:20:44 am
"THIS GUY" was my high school football coach At Little rock hall from 2002-2005... He just became the AD a yr ago Good guy ......just hated that he made us run a freakin Wishbone offense like we had 300 lbs lineman

Based on what others have said within this thread, it sounds like he doesn't have the help at his disposal to give him an opportunity to make the necessary improvements in the LR athletic programs. Tough position to be in for someone in an admin slot.
Go Hogs Go!

immahog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 10, 2014, 07:28:16 am
Based on what others have said within this thread, it sounds like he doesn't have the help at his disposal to give him an opportunity to make the necessary improvements in the LR athletic programs. Tough position to be in for someone in an admin slot.

I agree he def does not have the support
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

DeltaBoy

The Nutts got enough money to bank roll a large part of this.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

razorbeck

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!   The district here isn't willing to allot extra funding for the additional training and offseason weight programs to help the student athlete here. 
[/quote]

This is something that I know several school districts are looking at and some have even implemented in taking the period away for athletics.  I think the more you see school districts do this...you will continue to see the decline in sports in those districts.  From what I can see with kids today...if they are not incented to participate in different athletics...you will see more and more just want to "hang out"

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2014, 06:00:10 pm
But, I thought there was a LOT of big money in LR that the University of Arkansas would lose if they removed games from LR? If there is that much money there, as to influence games staying in LR (even though we lose potential revenues every time a game is played there), then why isn't there more emphasis among these big donors in terms of fund raising to help keep LRPS football on the map? Not being a S.A., I am truly asking. One would think that if they are so motivated to keep games at WMS, they would be more motivated to help keep a more generous pipeline of developed in-state talent headed to the U of A from the LR area?

Apparently they don't care cause there is enough money in Central Ark to Fix this mess.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 10, 2014, 08:31:50 am
Apparently they don't care cause there is enough money in Central Ark to Fix this mess.

So Warren Stephens is supposed to worry what is happening at Hall or PV? I guess he did, he helped bankroll ECS.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2014, 08:01:20 pm
As I said earlier in the thread, maybe Nutt should be contracted to revive LR HS football.

Why?  Dork destroys everything he touches.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: GsdHog on April 10, 2014, 03:02:24 pm
Once the lawsuit is over, which it is for the most part things will start changing for the better.

What was the lawsuit about?  I am out of state and I don't know. 

LZH

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on April 10, 2014, 10:50:58 pm
What was the lawsuit about?  I am out of state and I don't know. 

Desegregation/busing.  Or that's what it started out as......I don't have a clue how they've spent $80 million on that over the past 35 years, though.

MushroomCloudHog

It comes down to offense of philosophy. I know that Little Rock has more pure athletic talent than Warren or Greenwood. they need to open up the offenses.

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 09, 2014, 06:00:10 pm

The big money isn't interested in Little Rock public schools, or the city in general, except for how these things affect them directly.  They'd rather build their own schools that work how they see fit.  School board members were voted in power by the community, so you can't criticize one without blaming the other.

It's sad, because these are the people with the most power to create change.  It's my opinion that the general well being of most cities is a reflection of it's most powerful residents and what they have given or helped orchestrate.  By allowing the public schools to run down, both wealthy, and unweathly, LR residents are allowing the city to deteriorate from within.  It's certainly not all their fault, but it is their city.

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2014, 09:54:07 am
So Warren Stephens is supposed to worry what is happening at Hall or PV? I guess he did, he helped bankroll ECS.

If Warren Stephens cares about LR, then he should care what happens to it's public schools.  I'd be willing to bet that Bill Gates cares about the public school system in Seattle and that I could find proof that he does.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

hogsanity

Quote from: redeye on April 11, 2014, 03:45:28 am

If Warren Stephens cares about LR, then he should care what happens to it's public schools. 

If someone really cares about a city's public schools, the LAST THING THEY SHOULD GIVE MONEY TO IS ATHLETICS. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on April 10, 2014, 09:54:07 am

Well if Business likes to Push testing and such and in many places they have ponied up the bucks then Stephens and his crew can do the same thing or just shut up about it altogether.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 11, 2014, 10:36:31 am
Well if Business likes to Push testing and such and in many places they have ponied up the bucks then Stephens and his crew can do the same thing or just shut up about it altogether.

Stephens is complaining??  I imagine he pays as much or more in property taxes than the vast majority of LRSD patrons, he's paying his share.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2014, 10:46:29 am
Stephens is complaining??  I imagine he pays as much or more in property taxes than the vast majority of LRSD patrons, he's paying his share.

I did not bring Stephens into this conversion YOU DID ! I have no first hand knowledge what he thinks about this mess. But He does have the influence and resources to correct it if he wanted too.

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 11, 2014, 10:59:12 am
I did not bring Stephens into this conversion YOU DID ! I have no first hand knowledge what he thinks about this mess. But He does have the influence and resources to correct it if he wanted too.

I love it how people are so free and easy with other people's money.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2014, 11:01:39 am
I love it how people are so free and easy with other people's money.

I said if the Nutt's wanted to fix LR Football they had the money too.   I not saying they should but if they want too it is fine with me. 

ricepig

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 11, 2014, 11:17:26 am
I said if the Nutt's wanted to fix LR Football they had the money too.   I not saying they should but if they want too it is fine with me. 
Football isn't the problem in LRSD, if the other problems were corrected, football would take care of itself.

Cotton

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2014, 11:22:34 am
Football isn't the problem in LRSD, if the other problems were corrected, football would take care of itself.
Couldn't agree with you more Rice!
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

redeye

I also agree with you.  However, some LR residents have more ability to change things then others do.  I'd love to think that I'm one of them, but I'm just being honest when I say that I'm not.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2014, 10:46:29 am

As an outsider in this debate, let me just ask, isn't Stephens enough of a political heavyweight to help enact change in the LRPS and perhaps save them, if he were so motivated to do so?

There may be socio-economic issues at work here that have a lot to do with the debate and some of these issues cannot and will not ever be solved purely by an infusion of money. But an infusion of money backed by political influence can improve degraded facilities, hire better coaching staffs and restore some degree of pride to a school system that has fallen on hard times. Will a rising tide lift all boats? I think most hope that it would. Thoughts?
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 11, 2014, 06:49:54 pm
As an outsider in this debate, let me just ask, isn't Stephens enough of a political heavyweight to help enact change in the LRPS and perhaps save them, if he were so motivated to do so?

There may be socio-economic issues at work here that have a lot to do with the debate and some of these issues cannot and will not ever be solved purely by an infusion of money. But an infusion of money backed by political influence can improve degraded facilities, hire better coaching staffs and restore some degree of pride to a school system that has fallen on hard times. Will a rising tide lift all boats? I think most hope that it would. Thoughts?

I don't think providing new facilities and uniforms will fix LRSD's problems. I'm not from LR, but my kids have played sports against several of the schools, I'm just looking from the outside. As has been said numerous times in this thread, money for the district isn't much worse than other districts, they just had to spend it on busing, and other ridiculous court mandated actions. The only ones who benefited were lawyers.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2014, 07:01:10 pm
I don't think providing new facilities and uniforms will fix LRSD's problems. I'm not from LR, but my kids have played sports against several of the schools, I'm just looking from the outside. As has been said numerous times in this thread, money for the district isn't much worse than other districts, they just had to spend it on busing, and other ridiculous court mandated actions. The only ones who benefited were lawyers.

I have never been a fan of busing kids around to fit with federal standards/mandates with regard to integration, but it was and sometimes still is, a reality of life. We aren't going to change that as long as school systems receive federal money.

The thing is, I think that school systems can change not only their overall philosophy, but can enact programs that can help change the status quo, and most of that is done by concerned citizens and parents who want to enact that change. Especially those who are more prominent citizens in the community and whose influence carries more weight, those that can lead the charge of change.

One thing is certain, permanent change for the better doesn't often happen overnight and is better found in changing one step at a time, but always moving forward nonetheless. Inch by inch it is a cinch, but by the yard, it is hard.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: ricepig on April 11, 2014, 07:01:10 pm

I agree with this.  Money would certainly help, but a lack of money isn't the problem.

A better explanation may be that most of the people who care about having good schools for their children, don't care anything about the LRSD.  Instead, they create their own schools or send their kids elsewhere, even if it means moving away.  I think of some of them like cults, because they're attempting to create what they consider idyllic environments for their kids, rather then subject them to any differences of opinion.

However, I can't really blame them, because the schools are in such poor shape.  But if they're ever going to improve, this all has to change.

ricepig

Quote from: redeye on April 11, 2014, 07:29:03 pm
I agree with this.  Money would certainly help, but a lack of money isn't the problem.

A better explanation may be that most of the people who care about having good schools for their children, don't care anything about the LRSD.  Instead, they create their own schools or send their kids elsewhere, even if it means moving away.  I think of some of them like cults, because they're attempting to create what they consider idyllic environments for their kids, rather then subject them to any differences of opinion.

However, I can't really blame them, because the schools are in such poor shape.  But if they're ever going to improve, this all has to change.

Which brings you back to the chicken or the egg? Truthfully, I'm glad it's not my problem, I imagine I'd send mine to a private school.

three hog night

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 11, 2014, 06:49:54 pm

Stephens, Dillard, Ford, etc all have the ability to say, "enough is enough".   They are the ones that can drive the issue without money even.  They have the pull to influence the LRSD board and State Of Arkansas Dept of Ed.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

mhuff

RicePig, seems like problems started in Pine Bluff and moved over to L.R. It is a shame.... L.R. used to be a powerhouse. There are multiple problems in American society. Little Rock gang issues need to be corrected..... Well ... all over the USA. That element is dragging us all down.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on April 12, 2014, 11:32:14 am
Stephens, Dillard, Ford, etc all have the ability to say, "enough is enough".   They are the ones that can drive the issue without money even.  They have the pull to influence the LRSD board and State Of Arkansas Dept of Ed.

And so the question remains, why aren't they?
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2014, 12:47:57 pm
And so the question remains, why aren't they?

As citizens of the city of Little Rock, I'm not sure that question is appropriately addressed.  As business leaders of the city of Little Rock, I don't know why it wouldn't be.

According to the website for the Episcopal Collegiate School, the Stephens family created a $30 million endowment for it's financial security.  They named the campus after Jackson T. Stephens.  And, I'm not even sure that the Stephens family even lives within the Little Rock city limits, technically.  Considering their vested interest in ECS, I think you have to wonder if the Stephens family has any interest in repairing the LRSD.

Don't know about the Dillard or Ford families, but I suspect it's not much different and they all seem to have plenty of company in Little Rock.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on April 12, 2014, 01:57:35 pm
As citizens of the city of Little Rock, I'm not sure that question is appropriately addressed.  As business leaders of the city of Little Rock, I don't know why it wouldn't be.

According to the website for the Episcopal Collegiate School, the Stephens family created a $30 million endowment for it's financial security.  They named the campus after Jackson T. Stephens.  And, I'm not even sure that the Stephens family even lives within the Little Rock city limits, technically.  Considering their vested interest in ECS, I think you have to wonder if the Stephens family has any interest in repairing the LRSD.

Don't know about the Dillard or Ford families, but I suspect it's not much different and they all seem to have plenty of company in Little Rock.

But they should all have a vested interest in doing things that help insure a developed pipeline of talent from the LRSD to the U of A, if they are truly fans of Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2014, 02:35:50 pm
But they should all have a vested interest in doing things that help insure a developed pipeline of talent from the LRSD to the U of A, if they are truly fans of Arkansas.

They give tons of money, it isn't there responsibility to finance the LRSD.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on April 12, 2014, 02:37:31 pm

Not saying that they should, but they certainly have the influence because of their money and they could apply money if they were so moved.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 12, 2014, 02:35:50 pm

I don't think you'll see them do it to develop a pipeline to the UofA.  Repairing the LRSD is a far more important objective and one that would be highly beneficial to the business community in Little Rock.  However, repairing the LRSD would also likely increase the number of high caliber athletes coming out of Little Rock, imo.

It most certainly is not.  For the most part, they have no more responsibility then any other LR citizen.  The only difference is that they have more power and influence, and as leaders within the city, people naturally look to them for guidance.  In other words, people will listen to them, while ignoring everyday Joe's like myself.

The only question is whether any of these leaders have any interest?  Many seem heavily vested in LR private schools, but improving public schools is probably a high priority for the Chamber of Commerce in every city.  After all, how many companies want to locate somewhere that has a terrible public school system?

Not sure about the Dillard's and Ford's, but I know the Stephens are members of the LR COC.

olivebranchhog

I agree with your statement. 

However, the fact is, Central Arkansas teachers/coaches make less than they would in every state that borders Arkansas.  This is not counting private schools. The area isn't one that screams "bring your family." The pay isn't enough to live comfortably. Then, on top of everything, you have a social acceptance of sub-standard living in Central Arkansas.  The money from the lawsuit was misappropriated.  That's very clear now.  The teachers and coaches at the public schools are there collecting checks and having to play the role of parent/mentor because a lot of the LR kids are from broken families. It's a self perpetuating cycle that can't be solved by throwing more money into the pot. 

I think it's a product of garbage politicians,  negligent parenting, low pay scales, and greedy members of the school system.  LR needs a government that actually cares about these things.  That's where it all stars. If my kid was a talented player, he wouldn't see a second in LR area public schools. This is from someone that attended school in Rose City, Jacksonville,  and the Memphis area.  LR was the worst.... narrowly worse than Memphis
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

Shoat61

In an article today about a LR Central and West Memphis baseball game it mentioned that the LRCH pitcher was going to Vanderbilt and a player on the West Memphis team was going to Ole Miss.  The UofA has done a pretty poor job of recruiting in Central and Eastern Arkansas lately.  The rise of ASU and the new found interest in these areas by Ole Miss, Auburn and Alabama have cut into the old rule of the top players automatically going to the UofA.

ricepig

Quote from: Shoat61 on April 13, 2014, 10:36:55 am
In an article today about a LR Central and West Memphis baseball game it mentioned that the LRCH pitcher was going to Vanderbilt and a player on the West Memphis team was going to Ole Miss.  The UofA has done a pretty poor job of recruiting in Central and Eastern Arkansas lately.  The rise of ASU and the new found interest in these areas by Ole Miss, Auburn and Alabama have cut into the old rule of the top players automatically going to the UofA.

Uh, no. Abraham's family went to Vanderbilt, so there's that, plus I don't know if we offered either a scholarship. Fenter is just a Jr and most think he'll go pro instead of college, also, his sister plays on the softball team at OM.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Shoat61 on April 13, 2014, 10:36:55 am
How many players over past decade has the U of A and the state lost to Auburn, TN, OU, Okla St, et al? And I am talking only football.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

wholehog92

The horse is out of the barn in LR.  HS football is just a symptom of the social problems in LR.  Kids will go where they feel valued.  No investment for years on end means no value.  The kids who could went to where they were valued.  What is left is kids from families that couldn't or wouldn't leave.  Speaking generally, that means they haven't specialized in making great decisions.  What you have left is poor kids from families that haven't made great decisions with no one around them to draw knowledge from on a peer to peer basis.  They have no resources to invest now and even if they did, they are the equivalent of a company that has fired their knowledge base. 

What you have now is a county that the population is on a decline.  It will take drastic measures to repair the area and change that.  If left to natural path, it will take the population getting small enough that land values get so low entrepreneurs can come in and revitalize districts at a time.  That will take decades to get to that point and decades to recover from it.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Rey Pygsterio

"Rey Pygsterio will slash the tires on your Flex Fuel Tahoe and slap your Bentonville princess wife in the face." - Latarian

DeltaBoy

Momma's not pushing those boys to play football as a way out of the Hood.