Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Myth of the Student athlete

Started by popcornhog, April 07, 2014, 11:26:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Quote from: daBoar on April 07, 2014, 07:55:38 pm
I don't see the full blown bidding war happening.  All of this might open up a true professional minor league, but no one would care.  I sense that this will lead to a bit of watering down of the college game, but the folks who love their schools will still go to games, even if the super stars no longer play.  Look at Arkansas baseball; we really aren't good, but attendance is wonderful.  Folks like to watch their college (mens) sports.  WPS, with or without 5 stars.

Baseball team is ranked 24th in a poll this week, that would probably warrant better than "aren't good."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 07, 2014, 05:42:14 pm
Who was the greedy doof at the NCAA that thought it was a good idea to market video games with the likeness of actual players appearing in the game?

Seems like they would have known it was a lawsuit waiting to happen.

That didn't make sense to me either.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HogSophist

Quote from: ThundrHawg on April 07, 2014, 05:51:07 pm
They could take their talents to the job market and get fair value there. Most college athletes seem to be physically fit and would be well suited to manual labor. Or they could attend class and utilize the degree they receive to get a good paying job outside of sports. Where is all this outrage for the workers of Wal-Mart, McDonald's, etc. It is pretty much standard in this country that the workers are paid exponentially less than those at the upper levels of management.

Can they? Or are they precluded from it?
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Dumb ole famrboy

Quote from: locusbug on April 07, 2014, 01:07:11 pm
The current ruling is for private schools only. Athletes at state schools have fight a completely separate set of laws.

I disagree - my take on the ruling is the FLRB classified all FBS college football players as employees but couldn't grant the right to unionize to players attending state schools due to conflicts with state laws. In other words they classified football players attending state institutions as State Employees and the right for state employees to unionized is reserved to the individual state.