Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

From the Bench - Presenting the 2014 Benchies to Recognizing Outstanding Accomplishments

Started by Robert Shields, April 07, 2014, 10:12:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Shields

Presenting the 2014 Benchies to Recognize Outstanding Accomplishments

Robert Shields

In the spirit of the "Hogspy Awards" that the University of Arkansas athletic department will hand out on April 21 to recognize the best memorable moments in athletics, academics, leadership, and community service, From the Bench awards its own version, the "Benchies," to recognize outstanding achievements in sports. 

The UofA's upcoming Hogspy Awards will be hosted by former Razorback and current ESPN college basketball analyst Jimmy Dykes, who will lead us through a memorable year in Razorback athletics. Oh wait a minute, that was last year, and Dykes did such a good job hosting the Hogspy Awards that he was awarded the women's coaching position this year.

In terms of "memorable moments," I consider a 3-9 football season and missing the NCAA tournament in basketball again more as "nightmarish," so I am interested to see what awards they come up with this year. Maybe there will be one for the most important aspect of Razorback athletics, which we all know is fundraising.

So let's award some Benchies because I have a feeling the Hogspy Awards will gloss over some of these more "memorable" moments of the last 12 months.

"Trending Award" – Michael Qualls
Let's start with the positive first. The dunk by Michael Qualls to beat Kentucky in overtime at Bud Walton Arena would have been a long-lasting and positive memorable moment had it ended up meaning anything significant for the season. But the dunk was a sensation on social media and everyone's Twitter and Facebook feed was filled with the final seconds. So, he gets the award for "Trending." Later, he added to his resume when he hit a game-winning three pointer on the road against Vanderbilt. Again, too bad the season tanked the way it did and neither moment contributed to landing the team in the NCAA tournament.

"Improved Award" – Mike Anderson
The season did not end on a positive note, but making postseason play and winning one game was a step in the right direction for a tiny program trying to make a name for itself. Even though it struggled on the road as it has for the last decade since Nolan was fired and the foundation ripped from the program, the team was competitive in most games, which was an improvement. Sometimes like against Kentucky and Vanderbilt, the team even won big ones on the road, which was impossible just a few years ago.

"Karma Award" – Jen Bielema
The tweet heard around the college football world last season was from Jen Bielema, and I believe it is still trending in Wisconsin. After her husband's former team lost in a close game, she made the #Karma tweet and then something strange happened – karma did strike as her husband's new team of the Razorbacks never won again.

"The Newbie Award" – Jimmy Dykes
With no head-coaching experience, Dykes was given the women's basketball job at Arkansas. Many immediately piled on pointing out that he has never recruited a female athlete before. Some joked that he did land his younger cheerleader wife. Others joked that he had plenty of recruiting experience as athletic director of Shiloh Christian High School. Some say this is Jeff Long's worst hire since John L. Smith and have compared it to the Sidney Moncrief hiring at UALR. Regardless, I get the negative sentiment. It would be like hiring me as the next Razorback football coach because I had opined on the sport a few times.

"Disappointment Award' – Razorback Baseball Team
The baseball team last year was good, yet at the same time hugely disappointing because it started the season ranked No. 1 in the polls. It struggled through the conference at times and was not as dominating as anticipated. Then it made the NCAA baseball field and left much earlier than many were hoping for. Dave Van Horn comes off as even more abrasive in the postgame interviews when the team is not winning.

"Tweeter Award" – Jeff Long
Love or hate him, this guy knows how to work Twitter. Maybe he should teach a class for student athletes and famous people how to do it appropriately. He has many loyal followers and has composed thousands of tweets. That's awesome. I have noticed some recruits and athletes in the past even retweet his tweets. I find this creepy because it's like going over to your boss's house and taking out the trash for him.

"New Jack City Award" – Josh Melton
"Are you my brother's keeper?" It's OK if you don't get the early 1990s reference. And if that is the case, you probably also don't get the rivalry with Texas, which is not OK. Last year, this award went to Dakota Mosely and his case down in Auburn. This year it goes to former Razorback football lineman Josh Melton.  When you get charged with second-degree murder – well never mind.

"Hero Award" – Bijhon Jackson
Last year this award went to Alex Collins, the incoming freshman with the most pressure on him to perform at an All-American level. For a freshman, he was extremely good and wore the mantle well.  This year it goes to incoming freshman sensation Bijhon Jackson. He even recently power cleaned 360 pounds, and David Bazzel even posted "be an impact freshman at the UA."  Rafe Pevy was under consideration, but he seems to have no chance coming out of spring practice unless Brandon Allen gets hurt.

What are your awards? Send them to fromthebench@yahoo.com.

HillBillyHogfan

Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

ricepig

General Sports, trash can, Vents and rumors, DST, Little Rock Topix, .......

LZH

I think you'd be alot better served to stick to stuff like this.  I thought it was pretty good, without being too 'preachy'.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

murthage

Very nice.  I may be the only one to say it openly, but I appreciate your insight and dedication to providing information against all odds.  For this I award you the "Persistence" achievement.   :razorback:

From a Retired Army officer in Memphis, TN.

ricepig

Quote from: murthage on April 07, 2014, 10:38:28 am
Very nice.  I may be the only one to say it openly, but I appreciate your insight and dedication to providing information against all odds.  For this I award you the "Persistence" achievement.   :razorback:

From a Retired Army officer in Memphis, TN.

What "information" does he provide?

The_Iceman

hogfan58

I'm shocked there wasn't a reference to 1) games in LR or 2) GSD. RS must be losing his touch.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Dwight_K_Shrute

The New Dehli Spammer Award for Grammar & Spelling for use of the word "Accoumplishment".  It's like it came right from the pages of craigslist.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

PorkRinds

Two things:

First off, I think it's absolutely insane for anyone to connect Jen's tweet to us not winning another game.  That had nothing to do with #Karma and everything to do with substandard play, bad coaching decisions, and a difficult schedule.  This is just another way to trash CBB by going after his family.  Really classy RS.

Secondly, to use the case of Josh Melton as part of your drivel is a completely classless move.  It's a tragedy, and someone(likely two people in the end) lost their life.  You use the situation to make a silly point and joke about it.  You should be ashamed.

PonderinHog

Delicious~Dreams

Robert, go beat your own drum down in vent and rumors.    How on earth can you actually pin yourself a Razorback Fan by the way you continually bash every aspect of Hog Sports?   I understand you are entitled to your opinion but do you think making fun of the Hogspy Awards and the program in general is helpful??   

You failed to mention golf, gymnastics, track etc.   

Who IS Robert Shields!!??!!     

I need a motorcycle ride!  Blah!

Robert Shields should be awarded Hypocritical Hog Basher.  Lol!!  :)

Robert Shields

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 07, 2014, 10:53:56 am
The New Dehli Spammer Award for Grammar & Spelling for use of the word "Accoumplishment".  It's like it came right from the pages of craigslist.   

That made me laugh.  Thanks for the correction.

Hogfaniam

Robert, your awards need to be renamed the "Bitchies". 

I read the first paragraph and thought I would be able to enjoy one of your posts for a change.  Since you were going to present, "in the spirit of", your version of "the best memorable moments in athletics, academics, leadership, and community service", I thought something humorous would follow. 

Instead, we get smarmy comments and oft-repeated, unoriginal shots at Long, Anderson, Bielema, fans, Jen, the admin, Van Horn, the athletes, etc. 

I challenge you to write something original and inspiring for once.  Next Monday, present us with something Hog related that doesn't "bitch" about something.  If you can't, then print nothing.  We win either way.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Robert Shields

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 07, 2014, 01:00:21 pm
Robert, your awards need to be renamed the "Bitchies". 

I read the first paragraph and thought I would be able to enjoy one of your posts for a change.  Since you were going to present, "in the spirit of", your version of "the best memorable moments in athletics, academics, leadership, and community service", I thought something humorous would follow. 

Instead, we get smarmy comments and oft-repeated, unoriginal shots at Long, Anderson, Bielema, fans, Jen, the admin, Van Horn, the athletes, etc. 

I challenge you to write something original and inspiring for once.  Next Monday, present us with something Hog related that doesn't "bitch" about something.  If you can't, then print nothing.  We win either way.

Funny on your suggested award name.  I don't know yet what I will write next week, but we will see.

DOGALUM

Who the hell is Robert Shields?

Shields, squatting over and defecating in the chair in the office of the head football coach as a hire is what hiring you would be like.  Your Dykes comparison was way off. 
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

HognotinMemphis

Hilarious work. One of your better articles in the last few months. Keep up the good work. Enjoy reading it and watching it upset the grunts. Loved the "tiny program" comment and the part on Dykes. That is so ridiculous it is comedy. Excellent stuff.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

The_Iceman

WPS007

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

rusvegashog

Ill never understand the thought process that bad mouths athletes and coaches for leaving this state and then in the same breath wants to run down every single resource we have whaa Jimmy Dykes makes my ears bleed, whaa Who's Robert Shields, whaa Bert Bert, whaa Chuck Barrett is to dry. Oh but we're all about Arkansas. Josh Frazier can just go. What has Malzahn ever done? Cut off your nose to spite your faces. I just don't get it. The venom cast out on the regular is mind boggling and then you  mascarade yourself as a Razorback fan as a Natural state fan. +1

Delicious~Dreams

RyeHogFan

Robert,

You come off as very conceited and self-important. I don't know if that's part of your schtick or that's how you really are. That's just the way that your writing comes off to me. Sorry

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Robert Shields on April 07, 2014, 10:12:17 am

روبرت شيلدز

في روح من " جوائز Hogspy " أن جامعة أركنساس قسم رياضية و تسليم في 21 نيسان الاعتراف أفضل لحظات لا تنسى في ألعاب القوى ، والأكاديميين ، والقيادة، وخدمة المجتمع ، من الجوائز مقعد نسختها الخاصة ، و " Benchies ، " للاعتراف بالإنجازات البارزة في مجال الرياضة.

وسوف تستضيف جوائز Hogspy القادمة في UofA من خلال أنواع الحيتان السابق والمحلل ESPN كلية لكرة السلة الحالي جيمي الخنادق ، الذي سيقودنا خلال سنة لا تنسى في ألعاب القوى أنواع الحيتان . أوه الانتظار لمدة دقيقة ، وهذا كان في العام الماضي ، وفعل مثل الخنادق وظيفة جيدة استضافة حفل توزيع جوائز Hogspy أنه تم منح منصب مدرب للسيدات هذا العام.

من حيث " لحظات لا تنسى ، " أنا أعتبر موسم كرة القدم 3-9 والمفقودين البطولة في كرة السلة NCAA مرة أخرى أكثر باسم " كابوس "، لذلك أنا مهتم لمعرفة ما الجوائز التي تأتي مع هذا العام. ربما سوف يكون هناك واحد ل أهم جانب من جوانب ألعاب القوى أنواع الحيتان ، والتي نعلم جميعا هو جمع التبرعات.

لذلك دعونا الجائزة بعض Benchies لأن لدي شعور سوف جوائز Hogspy يتستر على بعض من هذه اللحظات أكثر " لا تنسى " من ال 12 شهرا الماضية .

"جائزة الإمالة " - مايكل [قولس
دعونا نبدأ مع أول إيجابية. ان دونك مايكل [قولس للفوز كنتاكي في الوقت بدل الضائع في برعم والتون الساحة كانت لحظة لا تنسى طويلة الأمد وإيجابية لو كان ذلك يعني أي شيء انتهى كبيرة لهذا الموسم. ولكن دونك كانت ضجة كبيرة في وسائل الاعلام الاجتماعية وامتلأت تويتر و الفيسبوك الأعلاف الجميع مع الثواني الاخيرة . لذلك ، وقال انه يحصل على جائزة " الإمالة . " وفي وقت لاحق ، وأضاف إلى سيرته الذاتية عندما سدد الحائز على اللعبة رمية ثلاثية على الطريق ضد فاندربيلت. مرة أخرى ، سيئة للغاية هذا الموسم هبط على النحو الذي حدث و ساهمت ولا لحظة ل تهبط الفريق في البطولة NCAA .

" تحسين جائزة " - مايك أندرسون
لم موسم لن تنتهي بشكل إيجابي ، ولكن جعل اللعب بوستسسن والفوز في مباراة واحدة كانت خطوة في الاتجاه الصحيح لبرنامج صغيرة تحاول أن تجعل لنفسها اسما . على الرغم من أنها كافحت على الطريق كما فعلت على مدى العقد الماضي منذ نولان أطلق و الأساس مأخوذة من البرنامج، كان فريق قادر على المنافسة في معظم المباريات ، والتي كان تحسنا. أحيانا مثل كنتاكي و ضد فاندربيلت ، وفريق حتى فاز الكبيرة على الطريق ، والتي كان من المستحيل قبل بضعة سنوات.

"جائزة الكرمة " - جين Bielema
كان سقسقة سمعت في جميع أنحاء العالم الكلية لكرة القدم في الموسم الماضي من جين Bielema ، وأعتقد أنه لا يزال تتجه في ولاية ويسكونسن . بعد خسارة فريق زوجها السابق في لعبة قريبة ، وقالت انها قدمت سقسقة # الكرمة ومن ثم حدث شيء غريب - الكرمة فعل إضراب كفريق و زوجها الجديد لل رزوربكس] أبدا فاز مرة أخرى.

" جائزة عضو جديد " - جيمي الخنادق
مع عدم وجود الخبرة الرأس التدريب ، أعطيت الخنادق النسائية لكرة السلة وظيفة في ولاية اركنسو. العديد من مكدسة على الفور مشيرا إلى أنه وظف أبدا رياضي الإناث من قبل. بعض مازحا انه لم أرضه الأصغر زوجة المشجع . مازحا الآخرين أن لديه الكثير من الخبرة و تجنيد مدير رياضي من شيلوه المسيحية في مدرسة ثانوية. يقول بعض هذا هو أسوأ تأجير جيف طويل منذ جون سميث و لقد مقارنة إلى سيدني مونكريف التوظيف في UALR . بغض النظر ، وأحصل على المشاعر السلبية . فإنه سيكون مثل التعاقد معي في اليوم التالي أنواع الحيتان مدرب كرة القدم لأنني كنت قد رأى على هذه الرياضة عدة مرات.

"جائزة خيبة أمل " - أنواع الحيتان فريق البيسبول
العام الماضي كان فريق البيسبول جيد ، ولكن في نفس الوقت مخيبة للآمال بشكل كبير لأنه بدأ الموسم في المرتبة رقم 1 في استطلاعات الرأي . انها كافحت من خلال مؤتمر في بعض الأحيان ، ولم يكن المسيطر كما كان متوقعا. ثم قامت ملعب البيسبول NCAA و غادر في وقت سابق بكثير من العديد من تأمل. ديف فان هورن يأتي قبالة حتى أكثر جلخ في المقابلات بوستغم عندما كان الفريق ليس الفوز .

"جائزة مكبر الصوت " - جيف لونغ
الحب أو الكراهية له ، هذا الرجل يعرف كيفية العمل تويتر . ربما كان يجب تدريس فئة الطالب للرياضيين و مشاهير كيفية القيام بذلك بشكل مناسب. لديه الكثير من الأتباع المخلصين ، و تتألف الآلاف من تويت. هذا رائع . وقد لاحظت بعض المجندين والرياضيين في الماضي حتى إعادة تغريد تويت له . أجد هذا زاحف لانها مثل الذهاب الى منزل رئيسك واخراج القمامة بالنسبة له.

"جائزة جاك مدينة جديدة " - جوش ميلتون
" هل أنت حارس لأخي ؟ " لا بأس إذا كنت لا تحصل على الإشارة أوائل 1990s. و إذا كان هذا هو الحال ، وربما كنت أيضا لا تحصل على التنافس مع ولاية تكساس ، والذي هو غير موافق . في العام الماضي ، ذهبت هذه الجائزة إلى داكوتا موزلي و قضيته باستمرار في صحراء. هذا العام فإنه يذهب إلى خطاط أنواع الحيتان كرة القدم السابق جوش ميلتون . عندما تحصل على تهمة القتل من الدرجة الثانية - حسنا لا يهم .

"جائزة البطل" - Bijhon جاكسون
ذهبت هذه الجائزة العام الماضي ل اليكس كولينز، طالبة اردة مع معظم الضغط عليه لأداء على مستوى جميع الأمريكية . لل طالبة ، وقال انه كان جيدا للغاية، و ارتدى عباءة أيضا. هذا العام فإنه يذهب إلى واردة طالبة الإحساس Bijhon جاكسون. حتى انه مؤخرا تنظيفها الاحصنة 360 جنيه وديفيد Bazzel حتى نشر " يكون تأثير طالبة في UA . " كان رافع Pevy قيد النظر ، ولكن يبدو أنه ليس لديهم فرصة الخروج من الممارسة الربيع ما لم يتأذى براندون ألين.

ما هي الجوائز الخاصة بك ؟ إرسالها إلى fromthebench@yahoo.com .

goodguytex

PorkRinds

goodguytex

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 08, 2014, 08:40:48 pm
Bibi looks to be a man who would have his bodyguard cut your throat while he smiles at you.
I don't think he would need a bodyguard to do it.

TOM "tbw1"

It seems that the only ones who appreciate "From the Bench" are those who dislike those in the program or those who enjoy being condescending.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on April 08, 2014, 08:56:43 pm
It seems that the only ones who appreciate "From the Bench" are those who dislike those in the program or those who enjoy being condescending.
It is easy to be condescending to many here...they make it so.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 07, 2014, 10:56:15 am
, to use the case of Josh Melton as part of your drivel is a completely classless move.  It's a tragedy, and someone(likely two people in the end) lost their life.  You use the situation to make a silly point and joke about it.  You should be ashamed.
I agree. Melton has a lot of friends in this state (I'm one of them) who were shocked by what he did. It is a tragic example of why it's never smart to get so drunk you're not in control of your actions. There's also nothing funny about it. Nothing.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" W. on April 08, 2014, 08:56:43 pm

THAT'S BOVINE FECES..! I love to be condescending, especially where Bob Shields is concerned.  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

smb

GeorgiaHOG

The_Iceman

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.