Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Razorback's Who Transferred

Started by yraciv, April 07, 2014, 12:40:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

yraciv

April 07, 2014, 12:40:15 am Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 07:03:14 pm by yraciv
Just thought I'd look up what some of our former Hogs who transferred out were up to. Still baffles me how we let Reeves get away.

John Clay Reeves - Batting .360, with an .879 OPS, 2 HR, 23 RBI, and has started 32 games this year for Rice.
Jean Ramirez - Batting .316, with a .739 OPS, 0 HR, 23 RBI, and has played in 24 games this year for Grayson County CC.
Conor Costello - Batting .280, with an .886 OPS, 3 HR, 7 RBI, and has played in 28 games, starting most for OK State in their OF.
Mark Reyes - 4-1 with a 2.44 ERA in 7 starts at Crowder JUCO this year, he signed with Southern Miss.
Greg Milhorn - 2-1 with a 2.08 ERA in 17 innings at #3 UL Lafayette. Has been mostly getting midweek start, went 5 strong against LSU to get a win, but got roughed up and chased after 2 in a game vs. Bama.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: yraciv on April 07, 2014, 12:40:15 am
Just thought I'd look up what some of our former Hogs who transferred out were up to. Still baffles me how we let Reeves get away.

John Clay Reeves - Batting .360, with an .879 OPS, 2 HR, 23 RBI, and has started 32 games this year for Rice.
Jean Ramirez - Batting .316, with a .739 OPS, 0 HR, 23 RBI, and has played in 24 games this year for Grayson County CC.
Conor Costello - Batting .280, with an .886 OPS, 3 HR, 7 RBI, and has played in 28 games, starting most for OK State in their OF.
Mark Reyes - 4-1 with a 2.44 ERA in 7 starts at Crowder JUCO this year, he signed with Southern Miss.
All of these guys were catchers except Reyes, were they not?

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 07, 2014, 12:56:14 am
All of these guys were catchers except Reyes, were they not?
Costello was an OF
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Team Oklahoma

How about in state David Petrino batting .403 with 34 rbi's and 2 hr at university of central Arizona, plays SS or 2nd .

Sueie

Quote from: Team Oklahoma on April 07, 2014, 07:39:50 am
How about in state David Petrino batting .403 with 34 rbi's and 2 hr at university of central Arizona, plays SS or 2nd .
Is Arkansas looking at him? I thought he was going to Arizona State.

ucahogfan

If I remember correctly, Reeves was a below average defensive catcher who wanted the starting job handed to him over Wise and didn't want to work for it.  Reeves is solid offensively, but the difference at the time wasn't big enough for Reeves to consistently start over Wise.

Sueie

What type of competition are they playing against?

lc480

About the same as some of teams Arkansas has played . Rice and OK.State are not bad.
When we lose to those smaller schools we always have a excuse.

jacobp

lc480

Its bad when you cannot make a quote without someone being as a--

jacobp

Wake me up when you post anything remotely positive about Van Horn or the baseball team as a whole.

lc480

I have stated on here he is a good coach. What more should I do, bow down at his feet?
Hes good but not the best in the nation, and if you do not like that, its to bad.

yraciv

Quote from: Sueie on April 07, 2014, 10:34:56 am
What type of competition are they playing against?

Rice has a Top 10 SOS in the nation, depending where you look.  Oklahoma state's is probably worse then us, but they are in a major conference so I can assume Costello gets tested.  JUCO guys are always tough read because we have plenty of them who struggle now, hit .300 in JUCO.

Hogdad14

Boyd's world listed Rice rpi at 22 and sos at 21,OSU rpi at 53 and sos at 160, Arkansas rpi at 56 and sos at 116. Looks like Reeves is doing a pretty good job against better teams than the hogs. He was a juco all-american last year with 1 error and 1 passball in 54 games, his defense doesn't sound that bad. I would also bet my life on it he didn't ask for the job to be given to him.

Kevin

reeves had no chance at arkansas. wise was going to be the catcher.

once, dvh makes a decision on a player, it is hard for the player to play his way in or out.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogdad14

yraciv you forgot a couple of players in that class Milhorn is a starting pitcher for #3 ULL and David Masters signed last year with the Washington Nationals in the 14th round.

jacobp

Reeves absolutely basically stated "I'm the starting catcher or I'm transferring." Its pretty common knowledge around the baseball program.

yraciv

Quote from: Hogdad14 on April 07, 2014, 04:00:44 pm
yraciv you forgot a couple of players in that class Milhorn is a starting pitcher for #3 ULL and David Masters signed last year with the Washington Nationals in the 14th round.

Yeah I know there are others out there and I didn't get to them all. Milhorn slipped by mind, but Masters kind of didn't seem relevant since he is now a pro.  Parker Gibson is hitting a whopping .240 at Division 2 Washburn, Jeff Harvill has been pretty unhittable closing games for UA Monticello, but I think I hit on the highlights.  It's hard to keep up with all the overturn we have on our baseball squad.

ucahogfan

Reeves is also throwing out a WHOPPING 11.1% of attempted base stealers.  Wise is throwing out 38.1% of attempted base stealers after coming of TJ surgery.  So really it comes down to would you rather have an elite defensive catcher who will shut down opposing running game, but not really hit OR a good offensive catcher who lets opposing teams run at will?

Sure we have a lot of transfers, but can someone please name one who was a starter the year before?  And by starter I mean someone who started half or more of the games and was slated to be a starter again the following year.

Sueie

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 07, 2014, 07:46:46 pm
Reeves is also throwing out a WHOPPING 11.1% of attempted base stealers.  Wise is throwing out 38.1% of attempted base stealers after coming of TJ surgery.  So really it comes down to would you rather have an elite defensive catcher who will shut down opposing running game, but not really hit OR a good offensive catcher who lets opposing teams run at will?

Sure we have a lot of transfers, but can someone please name one who was a starter the year before?  And by starter I mean someone who started half or more of the games and was slated to be a starter again the following year.

You ALWAYS have to burst people bubbles, Don't you?

hogman64

awhile back we had a starter at second base who transferred.. last name Erwin I think..

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: hogman64 on April 07, 2014, 09:47:40 pm
awhile back we had a starter at second base who transferred.. last name Erwin I think..
Beat me to it. Was going to look him up, but that name sounds right. Was he the guy that had a pretty good bat and made very few errors? Had a brother playing at a Louisiana school? If that's the guy, I think I heard his biggest down fall was that his range moving left/right on the infield was below average?

kennymayne

Ewing. I think. Went somewhere in Missouri  I think. Not certain,  though.

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

ucahogfan

Quote from: kennymayne on April 07, 2014, 10:01:33 pm
Ewing. I think. Went somewhere in Missouri  I think. Not certain,  though.
Just looked it up.  It was James Ewing who started 32 games back in 2006.  He was a 12th round pick by the Mets as a 2B out of Southern Miss.  He did hit .366 in 2006.  I didn't follow the team back then, but I would assume he split time with Tschepikow at 2B in 2006 and then Tschepikow was the full time starter the next 3 seasons putting up pretty solid numbers.

rightdp

Reeves has 45 hits, 23 RBI, and 20 runs scored.
Wise has 9 hits, 6 RBI, 12 runs scored.

I'm not sure where you got individual catcher stats... But as a team, AR has thrown out 10 out of 31 (32%) attempted stolen bases.  21 base stealers
Rice has thrown out 6 out of 29 (21%).  23 base stealers

Would you really trade all those offensive numbers for 2 less base stealers?

jacobp

I'll trust uca's stats.

and Reeves was not an option. never really was. demand a starting spot and see where that gets you.

TikiHog

Ewing left to play with his brother at So MIss

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TikiHog on April 07, 2014, 11:22:00 pm
Ewing left to play with his brother at So MIss
Didn't he get hurt towards the end of the season and we got pretty thin on the infield and pulled Tschep's redshirt and then he became a fan favorite?

yraciv

Quote from: A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S on April 07, 2014, 11:34:33 pm
Didn't he get hurt towards the end of the season and we got pretty thin on the infield and pulled Tschep's redshirt and then he became a fan favorite?

Tschep played really well when we pulled his RS in 05, after the whole Rowlett/Bridges kicked off the team debacle.  Ewing came in during 2006.  Tschep had the job at the start of the season, got off to a terrible start, and I believe an injury came along which allowed him to redshirt that year.  Ewing eventually won the job, tore it up, and batted near the top of the order the rest of the year.

If memory serves me right, the whole Ewing thing was about getting the chance to play with his brother.  Tschep and Forsythe were both light hitting utility guys who hadn't lit it up in 2006, so I really doubt Ewing had any concerns about them taking his job. Of course Forsythe exploded given the opportunity in 2007 and Tschep regained some of his FR season form and things worked out alright.

hogman64

Quote from: yraciv on April 08, 2014, 01:13:36 am
Tschep played really well when we pulled his RS in 05, after the whole Rowlett/Bridges kicked off the team debacle.  Ewing came in during 2006.  Tschep had the job at the start of the season, got off to a terrible start, and I believe an injury came along which allowed him to redshirt that year.  Ewing eventually won the job, tore it up, and batted near the top of the order the rest of the year.

If memory serves me right, the whole Ewing thing was about getting the chance to play with his brother.  Tschep and Forsythe were both light hitting utility guys who hadn't lit it up in 2006, so I really doubt Ewing had any concerns about them taking his job. Of course Forsythe exploded given the opportunity in 2007 and Tschep regained some of his FR season form and things worked out alright.

That sounds right, seems like maybe Southern Miss made it to the CWS with him starting at second  base for them.....pretty vague on the memory tho....

rightdp

Quote from: jacobp on April 07, 2014, 10:51:35 pm
I'll trust uca's stats.

and Reeves was not an option. never really was. demand a starting spot and see where that gets you.

Ummm... It got him a starting job at Rice where he is killing it.

I'm not saying I agree with the way he went about things, but he is certainly better off now.

ucahogfan

Quote from: rightdp on April 07, 2014, 10:44:57 pm
Reeves has 45 hits, 23 RBI, and 20 runs scored.
Wise has 9 hits, 6 RBI, 12 runs scored.

I'm not sure where you got individual catcher stats... But as a team, AR has thrown out 10 out of 31 (32%) attempted stolen bases.  21 base stealers
Rice has thrown out 6 out of 29 (21%).  23 base stealers

Would you really trade all those offensive numbers for 2 less base stealers?
From the same page I assume you pulled those stats from:

John Clay Reeves has thrown out 2 attempted base stealers in 18 attempts on the year.  I can promise you if we were facing him that DVH would run wild on his arm because he has shown an inability to shut down a running game.  You can find individual fielding stats at the bottom of the page.

Link - http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html#TEAM.MLB

Jake Wise has thrown out 8 attempted base stealers in 21 attempts on the year.  He also only has 1 error while Reeves has 3 and I'm pretty sure we can agree that the error for Wise is BS as it come on the catcher's interference call during the nightcap on Friday.  His presence behind the plate has also allowed the Hogs to lead the SEC in double plays turned and pickoffs.  His defense this year has saved as many runs for this team and probably more than the run differential between the two bats.  Meanwhile, Blake Baxendale has only thrown out 1 attempted base stealer in 9 attempts.

Link - http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=189941

The whole new argument with advanced metrics can be called into play in this situation.  Jake Wise might be the best defensive catcher in college baseball right now while Reeves is probably up there offensively.  Andrelton Simmons finished top 5 in the NL in WAR last year because he is so valuable defensively and his offense last year was right around average for a ML SS.

rightdp

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 08, 2014, 09:32:20 am

John Clay Reeves has thrown out 2 attempted base stealers in 18 attempts on the year.  I can promise you if we were facing him that DVH would run wild on his arm because he has shown an inability to shut down a running game.  You can find individual fielding stats at the bottom of the page.

Link - http://www.riceowls.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2013-2014/teamcume.html#TEAM.MLB

Jake Wise has thrown out 8 attempted base stealers in 21 attempts on the year.  He also only has 1 error while Reeves has 3 and I'm pretty sure we can agree that the error for Wise is BS as it come on the catcher's interference call during the nightcap on Friday.  His presence behind the plate has also allowed the Hogs to lead the SEC in double plays turned and pickoffs.  His defense this year has saved as many runs for this team and probably more than the run differential between the two bats.  Meanwhile, Blake Baxendale has only thrown out 1 attempted base stealer in 9 attempts.

Link - http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6100&ATCLID=189941

The whole new argument with advanced metrics can be called into play in this situation.  Jake Wise might be the best defensive catcher in college baseball right now while Reeves is probably up there offensively.  Andrelton Simmons finished top 5 in the NL in WAR last year because he is so valuable defensively and his offense last year was right around average for a ML SS.

I wasn't doubting your stats.  I honestly just didn't know where you got them.  And even still, with your link, I guess I'm just ignorant to the fielding abbreviations. 

I just don't understand, though... If Reeves is SO bad, why aren't teams going wild on him?  Why have they only attempted 18 steals so far? And only 3 errors?  I'm just sayin'...  I'd take him back in a heartbeat. 

azhog10

Quote from: jacobp on April 07, 2014, 04:10:11 pm
Reeves absolutely basically stated "I'm the starting catcher or I'm transferring." Its pretty common knowledge around the baseball program.
Right now it's looking like he had some sort of reason to make that claim. Compare all the stats between Wise and Reeves right now and almost every coach except obviously ours would take Reeves. What he does at the plate more than makes up for whatever advantage Wise may have over him on defense. I thought it was a bad call when Reeves left, the kid can play. Wise has proven over the years that he may can catch but he sure as heck can't hit. Idk why DVH wouldn't have at least told him he would be starting almost every day at DH and would split games at Catcher with Wise. A guy hitting as well as he is, against the schedule he has done it against should have a place in almost any teams lineup every day.

azhog10

Give me the offense. Only two more stolen bases than us but Reeves has more than made up for it with his bat. I will take more runs scored on offense over two extra stolen bases.

azhog10

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 08, 2014, 09:32:20 am

We would have to get some people on base first.....

azhog10

Quote from: rightdp on April 08, 2014, 10:16:36 am
I wasn't doubting your stats.  I honestly just didn't know where you got them.  And even still, with your link, I guess I'm just ignorant to the fielding abbreviations. 

I just don't understand, though... If Reeves is SO bad, why aren't teams going wild on him?  Why have they only attempted 18 steals so far? And only 3 errors?  I'm just sayin'...  I'd take him back in a heartbeat.
He'd be a hell of a DH for us, and he could easily catch the Sunday games of every series. That would give Wise a rest and it would put more pop in our lineup. DVH could have easily told him he would be playing every day as long as his hitting production stayed up. When you can bat .360 against a top 10 SOS I can understand you demanding a starting job.

ricepig

Would Wise even be here if he hadn't injured his arm? How does anyone know what would have occurred, that was two years ago when he left.

booogaga

...would you rather have an elite defensive catcher who will shut down opposing running game, but not really hit OR a good offensive catcher who lets opposing teams run at will?

"not really hit" is the understatement of the year. How about " who does not hit "
GO HOGS!

yraciv

Wise over his career is 56 for 81 throwing out baserunners, at a 31% clip, he doesn't have many errors, but is also prone to passed balls.  I'm not going to argue he isn't a good defensive catcher, but when I think elite I think 40%+, and very few passed balls, 40% was obtained by 3 major leaguers the last 2 years.

ucahogfan

Quote from: rightdp on April 08, 2014, 10:16:36 am

Rice didn't break it down to how many game Reeves has caught compared to it appeared two other guys (Ewing and Kopycinski).  The Hogs do that so I could tell you how many games Jake Wise has started behind home plate and how many games he hasn't.  Maybe Reeves has only started 15 games behind the dish this year (highly unlikely) which would make it look like teams were running wild?  Without advanced stats like that, we can't make a game by game comparison.

3 errors by a catcher in about 30 games is horrible.  Wise has only made 1 error this year and that error is total BS being the catcher's interference from the night cap on Sunday.

Quote from: booogaga on April 08, 2014, 11:17:55 am
"not really hit" is the understatement of the year. How about " who does not hit "
Reeves has a huge advantage at BA, but his OBP is only about 90 points higher which means he is getting on base only once more than Wise every 10-11 ABs or so and Reeves is probably a middle of the order hitter while Wise really isn't counted on doing much being in the 7-8 hole.  Plus, Wise went through 2 surgeries since the end of last season which is amazing for him to be back and be this good defensively.  And no poster would have been taken seriously if they came on here before the season and said Wise would have been this bad at the plate.

Quote from: yraciv on April 08, 2014, 11:55:43 am
Wise over his career is 56 for 81 throwing out baserunners, at a 31% clip, he doesn't have many errors, but is also prone to passed balls.  I'm not going to argue he isn't a good defensive catcher, but when I think elite I think 40%+, and very few passed balls, 40% was obtained by 3 major leaguers the last 2 years.
That average is really skewed by his freshman year when he didn't throw out a single attempted base stealer in 10 tries.  Since then, he has held pretty steady at 34-39% for the remainder of his career at Arkansas.

The most incredible stat is between our 3 weekend starters of Killian, Beeks, and Oliver, opposing teams have only attempted 7 steals and been caught 4 times in about 140 innings.  That means an opponent is stealing a base against those 3 and Wise approximately once every 45 innings or so.  That is basically every other weekend.

My point is, I would rather have an elite defender and leader like Wise behind the plate especially with a staff that is somewhat young and new over a good offensive catcher like Reeves.

yraciv

I'd rather have the bat. We struggle to score runs, we don't struggle to allow them.  Looking at WAR's of MLB equivalents it is about a wash, if Wise returns to around his typical career .200 average. If Reeves wasn't catching everyday, he certainly would be the DH, so it is a shame we let him get away.

dotnet

This is a weird discussion that seems all over the place. 

Are we discussing things with what we knew 2 years ago when the transfer happened, or are we discussing how things are now?  Because none of the current information was available when the decision was made.  DVH didn't even expect Wise to be at Arkansas this year, so Wise wasn't even part of that decision. 

dotnet

Quote from: ucahogfan on April 08, 2014, 12:57:41 pm
The most incredible stat is between our 3 weekend starters of Killian, Beeks, and Oliver, opposing teams have only attempted 7 steals and been caught 4 times in about 140 innings.  That means an opponent is stealing a base against those 3 and Wise approximately once every 45 innings or so.  That is basically every other weekend.

This is an important distinction.  Freshman pitchers, normally, are the worst at holding runners on.  They are used to not having many runners on base against them for starters.  And then, its the last thing they work on.

Arkansas stole a base on Saturday against Greiner - who is an above average defensive catcher.  But who was the pitcher?  I never saw a stolen base attempt against one of the starters.. but a less experienced bullpen guy?  DVH took a chance...

Mr.Swine89

The bats we miss this year are Farris and Hellbusch. Sure, they both struggled last year at some point, but they were 17 or 18 year old kids. I'd guess that both of them would be batting around .280 tp .300 this year. We could really use that.

Sueie

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It is a little hard to steal on Wise when we have pitchers picking them off of first.  At Miss State we had one picked off of 2nd but the 3rd base umpire thought you could run in left field to get to 3rd base.  ;D

Does anyone know how many we have picked off of first base whether it is the pitcher or Wise doing it?

Sueie

Quote from: Mr.Swine89 on April 08, 2014, 01:55:49 pm
The bats we miss this year are Farris and Hellbusch. Sure, they both struggled last year at some point, but they were 17 or 18 year old kids. I'd guess that both of them would be batting around .280 tp .300 this year. We could really use that.

The bat we are missing this year is sitting in the dugout.  Next year we can discuss WHY did that happen.

ucahogfan

Quote from: yraciv on April 08, 2014, 01:16:58 pm
I'd rather have the bat. We struggle to score runs, we don't struggle to allow them.  Looking at WAR's of MLB equivalents it is about a wash, if Wise returns to around his typical career .200 average. If Reeves wasn't catching everyday, he certainly would be the DH, so it is a shame we let him get away.
Don't you think one of the main reasons we don't struggle to allow runs is because our pitchers have complete confidence that their catcher will stop pretty much everything and pretty much bring a running game to a halt for pitchers who do a good job of holding runners?

I think it could be argued that Wise is worth as much as 1 run per game this year with his defense compared to his replacement when all is said and done.  I have no stats to back that up, but I fully believe the team ERA would be closer to 3 if Wise had left last year.  One normal trait of just about every top staff out there is a catcher who has started multiple years.

And Wise would normally be about .240 by his career standards.  And really this debate should come down to Jean Ramirez and John Clay Reeves.  Both were apart of the 2011 class and had different styles behind the plate.  Ramirez was more known for his defense while Reeves was known for the bat.  DVH decided to keep Ramirez as the backup for 2013 while Reeves transferred.  DVH also knew he had Bax which is Reeves' equivalent behind the plate and has more promise at the plate arriving in 2012.  Now if Reeves had gone on to be both elite offensively and defensively, then I would agree it was a shame DVH let him leave, but he is below average defensively and that is not what this team needs.

Quote from: dotnet on April 08, 2014, 01:34:28 pm
This is an important distinction.  Freshman pitchers, normally, are the worst at holding runners on.  They are used to not having many runners on base against them for starters.  And then, its the last thing they work on.

Arkansas stole a base on Saturday against Greiner - who is an above average defensive catcher.  But who was the pitcher?  I never saw a stolen base attempt against one of the starters.. but a less experienced bullpen guy?  DVH took a chance...
This is a very accurate statement where freshmen tend to not hold runners on as well as non-freshmen.  Arkansas has had 31 steals attempted against them this year.  Our freshmen pitchers account for 10 of those attempts and runners have only been caught twice.  So that means in the other 21 attempts, attempted base stealers have been caught 8 times.  Basically, runners are being caught twice as often if they steal on a non-freshman than if they steal on a freshmen.

Freshmen are also run on more often.  Our freshmen this year have thrown about 60 innings while everyone else has thrown about 220 innings.  That means our freshmen are having a steal attempted against them about once every 6 innings on average while our non-freshmen have a steal attempted against them every 10.5 innings.  That is a considerable difference.