Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Pitching Staff Has Best Performance Agaist South Carolina

Started by Mike Irwin, April 06, 2014, 06:41:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

It was a weekend anchored by the Arkansas pitching staff- and their best performance on the mound all season.

"All three starters this weekend were outstanding. They gave us a chance to win them all." says Head Coach Dave Van Horn.

Game one starter Trey Killian charged with the loss struck out five and gave up two runs.

"That game is probably on my hands right there, I only gave up two runs, but I wanted to go out there and compete and I should've given up none." adds Killian.

Junior Jalen Beeks stepped up in game two- pitching his second complete game of the season and a career high 9 strikeouts.

"He's pitched really well, and just competes, uses both sides of the plate." says Dave Van Horn.
"I felt more comfortable than I have. I'm just trying to go out there, I know this sounds cliché, but take it one day at a time, not get ahead of myself and try to throw strikes."
"Jalen's having a great year so far. What i like to see from Jalen that I haven't see a lot this season is a fist pump every now and then. Hes a pretty quite, modest guy, doesn't show much emotion and yesterday, I don't remember what inning it was, after a double play come off the mound and gave a fist pump. If gets the whole team going. that was good for me to see from Beeks." adds Killian.

On Sunday things only got better- Chris Oliver recorded a career high 10 strike outs- the first Razorback to tally double digit strike outs since Ryne Stanek in 2012.

"He had a curve ball and a little bit of a slider, but he just mixed it up, and it was big." adds Van Horn.
"It was sharp today, I felt like I had command of it the whole game." says Junior Chris Oliver.

And when talking about the bullpen- no one is more credible than they guy catching to pitches behind the plate...

"Our pitching depth's jut as good- it just didn't have experience, and now that we're kinda getting everyone their experience you can kind of see most of the pitchers take off and go in the right direction." Says Senior Catcher Jake Wise.

all in all, the Hogs only giving up 3 runs in 27 innings against top ranked South Carolina.

"Usually that will win you three, but we'll take two, they did a great job." adds Van Horn
"Giving up three runs to that team, so that's one a game, it's pretty remarkable. Since I've been here South Carolina is one of the better hitting teams in my four years. I know we swept them last year, but I don't think we pitched as well as we did this weekend." adds Wise.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/fulltextsports/d/story/a-solid-performance-by-razorback-pitching-staff-ag/33134/n9wdU2PH6EW3i1G81tMD4g

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S