Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nolan Richardson Selected To Hall Of Fame

Started by chiefhawg, April 06, 2014, 01:46:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gchamblee

Quote from: cunetguru on April 06, 2014, 03:11:04 pm
He sued the university. Try to spin it any way you would like, but that probably isn't helpful. And I am a Nolan fan.

the question is, did the university deserve to be sued. if they did, then that cant be hanging over nolan as a dark cloud.

Cotton

Quote from: gchamblee on April 07, 2014, 01:47:43 pm
the question is, did the university deserve to be sued. if they did, then that cant be hanging over nolan as a dark cloud.
The University won the suit, if anything Nolan put a dark cloud over the university for awhile.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Cotton

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 07, 2014, 01:01:50 pm
i really don't care about smites its just that if this what happens when you say something complimentary about the two winningest coaches in our history, it makes you wonder about the posters on what is supposed to be a Hog board. I would understand it more if I had posted such a comment on the Mizzou kittycat board or some other rivals board.
just givin you a hard time buddy. It is kinda interesting that you got smited for your post lol

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Cotton on April 07, 2014, 01:58:21 pm
The University won the suit, if anything Nolan put a dark cloud over the university for awhile.

Germany, Italy, and Japan are our allies now. If we can get past a world war and have cooperation, surely we can get past a lawsuit. Looks like the Hall of Fame voters did.

Congrats again Coach.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Cotton

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 07, 2014, 02:05:56 pm
Germany, Italy, and Japan are our allies now. If we can get past a world war and have cooperation, surely we can get past a lawsuit. Looks like the Hall of Fame voters did.

Congrats again Coach.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
We don't have any national monuments named after them tho...

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Justifiable Hogicide

Nolan did his best to destroy the University of Arkansas basketball program. And he did a pretty good job too.
No way it's court will ever be named after someone who did that.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Cotton on April 07, 2014, 02:10:09 pm
We don't have any national monuments named after them tho...

Yeah, good point.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

bigredone

April 07, 2014, 04:52:41 pm #58 Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 05:05:08 pm by bigredone
If the football field can be named for the guy that caused the suit to be filed the basketball court should be named for Nolan. I am not for removing Broyles name even though he and White created the conditions that led to the lawsuit.

Nolan made the HOF primarily on his record at AR. Bud Walton Arena was built to showcase his program. The court should be named for Nolan Richardson, by far the best basketball coach so far in AR history.

Congratulations on entering the HOF, coach Richardson! Let the bigots whine some more.

Cotton

Quote from: bigredone on April 07, 2014, 04:52:41 pm
If the football field can be named for the guy that caused the suit to be filed the basketball court should be named for Nolan. I am not for removing Broyles name even thought he and White created the conditions that led to the lawsuit.

Nolan made the HOF primarily on his record at AR. Bud Walton Arena was built to showcase his program. The court should be named for Nolan Richardson, by far the best basketball coach so far in AR history.

Congratulations on entering the HOF, coach Richardson! Let the bigots whine some more.
Created the conditions? Proof that Broyles and White did anything?

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

bigredone

Quote from: Cotton on April 07, 2014, 04:58:04 pm
Created the conditions? Proof that Broyles and White did anything?

All a matter of public record. Read the judge's findings, this has been covered too many times to count. You don't have to like the facts but that does not change them.

The short version is Nolan filed a wrongful termination suit not a discrimination suit. He probably would have won a discrimination suit but the judge found he was not fired as a result of the discrimination thus no wrongful termination.

Cotton

Quote from: bigredone on April 07, 2014, 05:04:27 pm
All a matter of public record. Read the judge's findings, this has been covered too many times to count. You don't have to like the facts but that does not change them.

The short version is Nolan filed a wrongful termination suit not a discrimination suit. He probably would have won a discrimination suit but the judge found he was not fired as a result of the discrimination thus no wrongful termination.
You're confusing facts with opinions.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

bigredone

Quote from: Cotton on April 07, 2014, 05:49:26 pm
You're confusing facts with opinions.

Almost right except there is no confusion on my part. I did read the judge's opinion that Nolan could have reasonably thought that he was fired due to racism because of the facts that were entered into evidence in the trial. The judge ruled against Nolan not because his superiors treated him fairly but because he was not fired for being black. The judge also pointed out that if Broyles/White had done the most basic part of their job, talk to their employee, none of this would have ever happened. It is very easy to see what caused the suit to be filed.

So yes, it was the judge's opinion but it was a legal opinion that he reached with all the facts presented under oath. That makes it completely different than my or your opinion and is normally considered as fact.

Cotton

Quote from: bigredone on April 08, 2014, 07:28:27 am
Almost right except there is no confusion on my part. I did read the judge's opinion that Nolan could have reasonably thought that he was fired due to racism because of the facts that were entered into evidence in the trial. The judge ruled against Nolan not because his superiors treated him fairly but because he was not fired for being black. The judge also pointed out that if Broyles/White had done the most basic part of their job, talk to their employee, none of this would have ever happened. It is very easy to see what caused the suit to be filed.

So yes, it was the judge's opinion but it was a legal opinion that he reached with all the facts presented under oath. That makes it completely different than my or your opinion and is normally considered as fact.
The main FACT is that Nolan publically asked to be fired and then sued the university for doing it.

I'm over it, it's in the past, but you don't give a person the most prestigious honor in all of basketball after selfish actions like his. Name the practice facility, locker room, whatever. Honor him in other ways, but he does not deserve the court after how he acted. IMO

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ChicoHog

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 06, 2014, 09:35:03 pm
Nolan is pulling for Eddie to make it. I am too.

Two Hog legends in the same class would be amazing.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Absolutely.  If Walton is named richardson court then Barnhill should have Eddie's name on it because hie transformed that place into one of the most if not the most intimidating venue in college basketball.  As a student there in the early 80s it was amazing how loud it was.  Some game we never sat down.  Even going to games at Bud Walton was never like the atmosphere at Barnhill just because of the size.  Kind of like Cameron at Duke.  I still think Sutton was one of the best game coaches and strategists ever in CB history.  Kind of like Bo Ryan now.  His teams played smart basketball and did not beat themselves.  It's a shame that Rick Carlisle and UVA upset us in 84 as that team could have gone a long way.   Same with the 79 team and the famous US Reed "trip" and bob Heaton's prayer that went in.   

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 07:53:24 am
The main FACT is that Nolan publically asked to be fired and then sued the university for doing it.

I'm over it, it's in the past, but you don't give a person the most prestigious honor in all of basketball after selfish actions like his. Name the practice facility, locker room, whatever. Honor him in other ways, but he does not deserve the court after how he acted. IMO
Nolan was asked directly in the trial on the record by his civil rights lawyer John Walker to tell the court "How he was racially discriminated against by the UA".
Nolan could provide no answers. It was embarrassing for him and the whole courtroom.
After publicly damning the University of Arkansas with the worst kind of racial slurs, Nolan was unable to offer any evidence in his trial, he lost his lawsuit.
Nolan then went on to bring it all back up again by appealing his failed lawsuit, he promptly lost again.

Cotton

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on April 08, 2014, 11:10:16 am
Nolan was asked directly in the trial on the record by his civil rights lawyer John Walker to tell the court "How he was racially discriminated against by the UA".
Nolan could provide no answers. It was embarrassing for him and the whole courtroom.
After publicly damning the University of Arkansas with the worst kind of racial slurs, Nolan was unable to offer any evidence in his trial, he lost his lawsuit.
Nolan then went on to bring it all back up again by appealing his failed lawsuit, he promptly lost again.
And they want to give this guy the highest honor in all of basketball. I have no problem honoring him with some stuff, but it would be a disservice to anybody else that has a court named after them.

People are so blindly in love with the guy they refuse to believe the facts.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

bigredone

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 11:14:40 am

People are so blindly in love with the guy they refuse to believe the facts.

More correct would be some people so hated Nolan that they refuse to look at the facts. When Nolan was fired I was on the Broyles bandwagon, but at that time he (Frank) controlled the flow of information regarding the UA. By the time the MOTHO was finally fired there was a lot more information available to those open minded enough to look at the true history of Broyles as AD.

After the first two seasons of Nolan I was just as bad as anyone else in thinking that 40 Minutes of Hell was a 'black thang' that resulted from him just rolling balls out on the court during practice and saying go get it boys. I was wrong. I was also pissed at Nolan after the 'pay me my money' remarks and it turns out I was wrong then, too. He was justified.

I am different than most, though, in that when I am proven wrong I can admit it. I was wrong about both Nolan and Frank back then but I have learned from my mistakes and I am willing to follow the trail of facts.  Seeing how Frank was finally removed from the AD's office along with the judge's ruling confirmed that there were problems coming from the top and not the other way around.

Cotton

April 08, 2014, 12:55:04 pm #68 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 01:12:20 pm by Cotton
Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on April 08, 2014, 11:10:16 am
Justifiable said it best***

Nolan was not, and will not ever be justified for his actions or comments. Forgiven, yes... Justified , no.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

ChicoHog

Quote from: Cotton on April 08, 2014, 12:55:04 pm
Justifiable said it best***

Nolan was not, and will not ever be justified for his actions or comments. Forgiven, yes... Justified , no.
Well said Cotton. 

TomBigBeeHog

For all that was done to Nolan;  the shooting of his horse, the calling in of a bomb threat to his residence (with wife and teenage daughter), treatment by his bosses and on and on........ Yes, he was justified in venting his frustrations.

I still remember Nolan missing a game when his daughter was really sick and Wally Small writing an article criticizing him saying that Nolan needed to be with the team. I am still mad about that. I can only imagine how Nolan must have felt.

The true Razorback fans in NWA must really love Nolan. He stayed there in spite of all of the above and more. He must be able to see through the the hate spewed by the vocal minority and look past it to see the real people of Arkansas.

Nolan doesn't need to be forgiven. He has forgave. And to me, that's encouraging.

Congrats again, Coach. Well deserved.

bigredone

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 10, 2014, 09:01:04 am
For all that was done to Nolan;  the shooting of his horse, the calling in of a bomb threat to his residence (with wife and teenage daughter), treatment by his bosses and on and on........ Yes, he was justified in venting his frustrations.

I still remember Nolan missing a game when his daughter was really sick and Wally Small writing an article criticizing him saying that Nolan needed to be with the team. I am still mad about that. I can only imagine how Nolan must have felt.

The true Razorback fans in NWA must really love Nolan. He stayed there in spite of all of the above and more. He must be able to see through the the hate spewed by the vocal minority and look past it to see the real people of Arkansas.

Nolan doesn't need to be forgiven. He has forgave. And to me, that's encouraging.

100% agreement here.

Cotton

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 10, 2014, 09:01:04 am

So because somebody wronged you, it justifies you to do and say whatever you please?

How about being the bigger person? That's how I was raised.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Cotton on April 10, 2014, 02:18:34 pm
So because somebody wronged you, it justifies you to do and say whatever you please?

How about being the bigger person? That's how I was raised.

Nolan was/is the bigger person. He still loves and supports the UA basketball program in spite of how he was treated by some.

Cotton

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on April 10, 2014, 02:48:14 pm
Nolan was/is the bigger person. He still loves and supports the UA basketball program in spite of how he was treated by some.
The bigger person publically asks to be fired and then files a fictitious lawsuit against the university, loses, then appeals it? Yeah okay.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Cotton on April 10, 2014, 02:59:49 pm
The bigger person publically asks to be fired and then files a fictitious lawsuit against the university, loses, then appeals it? Yeah okay.
Ok. an agreement. no need to discuss further.

blu

Quote from: anaxagoras on April 06, 2014, 03:36:12 pm
Hopefully this is what the PTB have been waiting for, and he finally gets the permanent recognition that he deserves. It's past time that the Hogs play ball on Nolan Richardson Court. Congrats Coach Richardson, thank you for everything that you gave to the University and State of Arkansas.

Woo Pigs Sooie!

+1 - could not agree more - best BBall coach we have ever had - and he totally deserves this honor. I'm still hoping and have faith that CMA will give us something to debate in the coming years. Right now Eddie is solidly our second best BB coach.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Hoggish1

Quote from: PonderinHog on April 06, 2014, 06:46:00 pm
Under no circumstances should the court be named after Broyles and White.

+1!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: anaxagoras on April 06, 2014, 03:36:12 pm
Hopefully this is what the PTB have been waiting for, and he finally gets the permanent recognition that he deserves. It's past time that the Hogs play ball on Nolan Richardson Court. Congrats Coach Richardson, thank you for everything that you gave to the University and State of Arkansas.

Woo Pigs Sooie!

AWHAWG

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on April 07, 2014, 02:23:31 pm
Nolan did his best to destroy the University of Arkansas basketball program. And he did a pretty good job too.
No way it's court will ever be named after someone who did that.
we build their cars here

TOM "tbw1"

Some of you need to read the decision in its entirety before you make comments such as "fictitious" or "not ever be justified"

There was troubling testimony from witnesses about racism in the higher ranks of UAF. A former member of the Board of Trustees (and former board chair), and a current board member admitted, during examination by Plaintiff's counsel, that they still use the word "person" and tell racial and ethnic jokes. Anyone "amongst the folks" knows that racial terms and jokes are still acceptable conversational coin with some people. It seems to me, however, that when a person accepts an important position of trust with the entire University of Arkansas system, he would purge his vocabulary of such words — and work on his heart and mind in the same vein.

I am satisfied beyond per adventure that Coach Richardson believes, without any doubt in his mind, that he was fired because of his race, and because he spoke out on that subject. Although I have found against him on those points, his belief was clearly not unreasonable. In other words, while I do not believe the evidence of racial bias or impingement of free speech preponderates in favor of Plaintiff, the record is a long way from devoid of incidents which could cause him to hold these beliefs.

http://www.leagle.com/decision/20041244325FSupp2d919_11155
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 06, 2014, 02:35:14 pm
If it hasn't happened yet, I doubt it ever will. McDonnell has a field. JFB has a building and a field. Nolan? Nothin'. What a travesty.

NR belongs in the Hall. Winner, innovator.

But.........
Rule #1 in the real world:

If you want to be honored by someone, do not sue them.

wachhog

I am glad for Nolan.  He deserved it! Best basketball coach we ever had. Innovative. Few have that.

jbcarol

Ron Higgins ‏@RonHigg  5h
Nolan Richardson never blinked all the way to the Hall of Fame  http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2014/04/nolan_richardson_never_blinked.html ...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net