Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Analysis on whether or not positions will improve next season...

Started by swinesation, April 06, 2014, 12:36:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

Here's my brilliant analysis obtained by sitting in a chair and reading stuff...

Will we improve, stay pretty much the same, or see a drop-off at each position?

QB - improve somewhat
OL - improve somewhat
WR - improve dramatically
TE - same - already good, slight improvement
RB - same - already good, slight improvement
FB - drop-off - hard to replace Kiero

DL - same (hopefully)
LB - same - this weak position isn't going to be much better
CB - improve somewhat
Safety - improve - hopeful that Coley or Coleman will end up being very good at FS

K - significant drop-off

That's overall improvement. No drop-off at any position other than kicker and FB. I'll admit there could be a drop-off at DL, but I'm staying positive that our DL will be able to replace Smith, Thomas and Jones. I'm most excited about the improvement at receiver and defensive backfield. I'm most concerned about our weak LB group.

bennyl08

The two biggest improvements come from your freshman to sophomore season and from your first season starting to your second.

QB: Starter last year was a first year starter, will now be a second year. Backups will now be RS freshmen (assuming AA gets the backup position.) Should see marked improvement.

RB: JWill and Collins were both first year starters, Collins was also a true freshman. Should improve quite a bit, which is saying something.

FB: Replacing a 5th year senior with either Walker/Arinze/Jones. There will be drop-off but none will be freshmen and two are upperclassmen.

WR: Hatcher was a first year starter last year. There will be a lot of new faces at the position, so it will take time for them to be good, but the outlook is promising. My gut say we should see dramatic improvement, but logic says that improvement should be tempered.

TE: Henry and Sprinkle were both first year players, with Henry being a true freshman. Should see large improvement there.

OL: Losing two starters, but two other starters were first year starters and true freshmen. There are players with previous starting experience in Smothers and Ollison to help out as well. Overall should see large improvement.

DT: Philon was a first year starter, though the other DT will be a first year starter this year, and quite possibly a true freshman. At best a wash, possible slight downgrade just due to replacing two RS Seniors.

DE: Flowers returns, but will have a first year starter on the other side; however, there are plenty of talented bodies who had playing time last year. Again, I feel like we could even see an improvement here, but it would be small and there could also be a small downgrade.

LB: Pretty much everybody last year was a first year starter. Everyone we return this year has starting experience, and one of them was also a true freshman. Should be dramatic improvement.

CB: Returning starters had previous starting experience and weren't true freshmen. However, many of the backups and spot starters were either first year starters or true freshmen. Depth will be greatly improved.

S: Turner was a first year starters and should be improved. Backups didn't get much time to start, but are no longer in their first year of college and/or SEC. Should see improvement.

K: Replacing a senior with a freshmen. However, he is a talented freshmen...

P: Was a first year starter last year. Should improve this year.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Uncommon

QB - Will Improve
Returning: Brandon Allen, Austin Allen, Damon Mitchell, AJ Derby
Lost: None
Added: Rafe Peavey

RB - Will Improve
Returning: Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, Korliss Marshall, Denzell Evans
Lost: Nate Holmes (transfer)
Added: Juan Day

FB - Will Not Improve
Returning: Kody Walker, Patrick Arinze, Chris Jones
Lost: Kiero Small
Added: None

WR - Will Improve
Returning: Keon Hatcher, Eric Hawkins, Drew Morgan, Demetrius Wilson, D'Arthur Cowan
Lost: Javontee Herndon, Julian Horton, Melvinson Hartfield
Added: Jared Cornelius, Cody Hollister, JoJo Robinson, Kendrick Edwards

TE - Will Improve
Returning: Hunter Henry, Alex Voelzke, Mitchell Loewen, Jeremy Sprinkle
Lost: Austin Tate, Demetrius Dean
Added: Jack Kraus

OT - Will Improve
Returning: Brey Cook, Chris Stringer, Dan Skipper, Austin Beck
Lost: David Hurd
Added: Brian Wallace, Jovan Pruitt

OG - Will Improve
Returning: Mitch Smothers, Grady Ollison, Johnathan McClure, Marcus Danenhauer, Denver Kirkland, Reeve Koehler
Added: Sebastian Tretola

C - Will Not Improve
Returning: Cordale Boyd, Luke Charpentier
Lost: Travis Swanson
Added: Frank Ragnow

DE - Will Improve
Returning: Deatrich Wise Jr., Brandon Lewis, Trey Flowers, Tevin Beanum, JaMichael Winston
Lost: Chris Smith, Darrell Kelly-Thomas
Added: Anthony Brown, Jake Hall

DT - Will Not Improve
Returning: DeMarcus Hodge, Taiwan Johnson, Darius Philon, Jeremy Ward, Horace Arkadie, Ke'Tyrus Marks
Lost: Byran Jones, Robert Thomas
Added: Bijhon Jackson, Armon Watts

OLB - Will Improve
Returning: Braylon Mitchell, Alex Brignoni, Daunte Carr, Martrell Spaight
Lost: Jarrett Lake, Price Holmes, Myke Tavarres, AJ Turner
Added: Khalia Hackett, Randy Ramsey, Dwayne Eugene

MLB - Will Improve
Returning: Brooks Ellis, Otha Peters
Lost: Austin Jones, Robert Atiga

CB - Will Improve
Returning: Carroll Washington, Will Hines, Tevin Mitchel, Jared Collins, DJ Dean
Lost: Ray Buchanan Jr.
Added: Chris Murphy, Henre' Tolliver, Cornelius Floyd

S - Will Improve
Returning: Rohan Gaines, Alan Turner, De'Andre Coley, Tiquention Coleman, Davyon McKinney, Kelvin Fisher Jr.
Lost: Eric Bennett
Added: Joshua Liddell, Santos Ramirez

K - Will Not Improve
Returning: None
Lost: Zach Hocker
Added: Cole Hedlund

P - Will Improve
Returning: Sam Irwin-Hill

SNP - Will Improve
Returning: Allan D'Appollonio

Lake City Hog

I believe that the O'Line will be a LOT better simply from being in their 2nd year with Pittman. Losing Swanson is a blow, but Charp will do fine. A full spring and fall camp to work together is a huge plus! Having 3 upper classmen in that group is  just gravy.

Linebackers and D'Backs will look great compared to last season, due mainly to the coaching changes.  I have seen more emotion from Smith and Jennings in 2 press conferences than I did from the other 2 guys in a full season and that is another huge plus. (I know Shannon coaches the LB's) Just like the O'Line I think that a 2nd year with Shannon will make a big difference, too. I tend to think that Smith will have the 3 best guys on the field and that means to me that Otha will be at 1 of the OLB spots.

I hope that between Cornelius, Morgan and Hollister we will always have a guy on the field that can catch that 3rd down throw that we just have to have to keep a drive alive.

QB, RB and D'Line doesn't really worry me.

swinesation

So a new DC is going to greatly improve our LBers? Man, that's an amazing coach we hired.

jkstock04

Quote from: swinesation on April 06, 2014, 09:56:12 pm
So a new DC is going to greatly improve our LBers? Man, that's an amazing coach we hired.
Saying our linebackers will be improved next year aint saying much...nowhere to go but up. Regardless, I am drinking some of the kool aid concerning our new DC. The whole idea of our back 7 looking like something other than a bunch of stiffs out there is appealing to me.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

swinesation

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 06, 2014, 10:10:54 pm
Saying our linebackers will be improved next year aint saying much...nowhere to go but up. Regardless, I am drinking some of the kool aid concerning our new DC. The whole idea of our back 7 looking like something other than a bunch of stiffs out there is appealing to me.

I like our new DC too. I think he has something to work with at the DB positions, but his resources are very limited at LB. Our inability to sign even average SEC LB prospects the last couple of years and into the future is uncanny and disturbing.

popcornhog

I'll believe it when I see it. But there should be at least some improvement due to experience, right?
WPS

bennyl08

We could go into the season without a DC or LB coach at all and our LB play would be improved next season due to the experience. The same reason Mallett improved greatly in year two of starting, even though we kept all the same coaches. I understand you are simply attempting to troll. However, there are much better ways to do it.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

swinesation

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 06, 2014, 10:52:06 pm
We could go into the season without a DC or LB coach at all and our LB play would be improved next season due to the experience. The same reason Mallett improved greatly in year two of starting, even though we kept all the same coaches. I understand you are simply attempting to troll. However, there are much better ways to do it.

Troll?!? Did you read my OP? I'm optimistic about our football future. I see a lot of improvement next season over last. I just think we're really hurting at LB. Does that make me a troll?

People talk about guys improving via experience. Mitchell is a senior. Carr is a senior. Yes, I think Ellis will improve. Maybe Otha. But that's about it. Mallett is a lousy example. He was an exceptional talent. Some people's potential is much higher than others. If my son, who is a good HS football player, went to the Razorbacks, he would surely get better every year. But he still wouldn't be an SEC caliber player by the time he was a senior because he has limited talent. Why is that so hard to understand?

I've NEVER been called a troll in however many years I've been posting on here, so wow.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 06, 2014, 10:52:06 pm

I think that some types of players tend to thrive more under one system than another and overall on defense, our DC's scheme handcuffed a lot of players from maximizing their athleticism and making plays.

Last year along the front 7, we filled gaps and waited for the ball most of the time. That can be a non-aggressive, conservative approach when you are just trying to prevent big plays instead forcing the issue and actually making big plays. The Secondary played so far off of Receiver's that completions were made a lot easier, especially when coupled with a less aggressive approach up front.

But being aggressive can be a double-edged sword because if you are too aggressive there are going to be times that you may not be in the right spot at the right time and the opponent busts a big play through a tiny seam. The flip side of that is that being aggressive (if successful) helps create confusion on the offensive side of the ball and it helps limit the amount of time that they have to execute any given play. From a pass coveage standpoint, you hope that it will limit the amount of time the QB has to make a decision and release the ball, which should help your Secondary.

I know, pretty elementary stuff.

I have no idea why Ash chose the philosophy that he did last season except that he was just trying to play a softer, bend but don't break scheme that limited the big plays until he could get more of "his type" of players on the team. Defensively, that might have worked had we had a healthy QB on offense last year that presented more of a passing threat and we had scored more points. As it turned out, the installed philosophy didn't work because we didn't have a more dynamic offense.

Bottom line, I think that our LB'ers will be improved this year as well as our Secondary simply because of a more aggressive attitude and scheme that frees these kids up to make plays and challenge their individual opponents in each game. At least, that is what I am hoping for and in this case, I think that the change in philosophy will help improve the effectiveness and the play of the kids that we have on the D side of the ball.

And Mallett improved from year one to year two largely because he had a R/S year and a first year under the tutelage of BP. Yes, he has great talent, but even great talent needs developing or they likely never reach their full potential.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 06, 2014, 03:11:53 pm
The two biggest improvements come from your freshman to sophomore season and from your first season starting to your second.

QB: Starter last year was a first year starter, will now be a second year. Backups will now be RS freshmen (assuming AA gets the backup position.) Should see marked improvement.

RB: JWill and Collins were both first year starters, Collins was also a true freshman. Should improve quite a bit, which is saying something.

FB: Replacing a 5th year senior with either Walker/Arinze/Jones. There will be drop-off but none will be freshmen and two are upperclassmen.

WR: Hatcher was a first year starter last year. There will be a lot of new faces at the position, so it will take time for them to be good, but the outlook is promising. My gut say we should see dramatic improvement, but logic says that improvement should be tempered.

TE: Henry and Sprinkle were both first year players, with Henry being a true freshman. Should see large improvement there.

OL: Losing two starters, but two other starters were first year starters and true freshmen. There are players with previous starting experience in Smothers and Ollison to help out as well. Overall should see large improvement.

DT: Philon was a first year starter, though the other DT will be a first year starter this year, and quite possibly a true freshman. At best a wash, possible slight downgrade just due to replacing two RS Seniors.

DE: Flowers returns, but will have a first year starter on the other side; however, there are plenty of talented bodies who had playing time last year. Again, I feel like we could even see an improvement here, but it would be small and there could also be a small downgrade.

LB: Pretty much everybody last year was a first year starter. Everyone we return this year has starting experience, and one of them was also a true freshman. Should be dramatic improvement.

CB: Returning starters had previous starting experience and weren't true freshmen. However, many of the backups and spot starters were either first year starters or true freshmen. Depth will be greatly improved.

S: Turner was a first year starters and should be improved. Backups didn't get much time to start, but are no longer in their first year of college and/or SEC. Should see improvement.

K: Replacing a senior with a freshmen. However, he is a talented freshmen...

P: Was a first year starter last year. Should improve this year.

Yep I feel comfortable copying your answers on the exam!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Mike_e

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2014, 05:39:31 am
I think that some types of players tend to thrive more under one system than another and overall on defense, our DC's scheme handcuffed a lot of players from maximizing their athleticism and making plays.

Last year along the front 7, we filled gaps and waited for the ball most of the time. That can be a non-aggressive, conservative approach when you are just trying to prevent big plays instead forcing the issue and actually making big plays. The Secondary played so far off of Receiver's that completions were made a lot easier, especially when coupled with a less aggressive approach up front.

But being aggressive can be a double-edged sword because if you are too aggressive there are going to be times that you may not be in the right spot at the right time and the opponent busts a big play through a tiny seam. The flip side of that is that being aggressive (if successful) helps create confusion on the offensive side of the ball and it helps limit the amount of time that they have to execute any given play. From a pass coveage standpoint, you hope that it will limit the amount of time the QB has to make a decision and release the ball, which should help your Secondary.

I know, pretty elementary stuff.

I have no idea why Ash chose the philosophy that he did last season except that he was just trying to play a softer, bend but don't break scheme that limited the big plays until he could get more of "his type" of players on the team. Defensively, that might have worked had we had a healthy QB on offense last year that presented more of a passing threat and we had scored more points. As it turned out, the installed philosophy didn't work because we didn't have a more dynamic offense.

Bottom line, I think that our LB'ers will be improved this year as well as our Secondary simply because of a more aggressive attitude and scheme that frees these kids up to make plays and challenge their individual opponents in each game. At least, that is what I am hoping for and in this case, I think that the change in philosophy will help improve the effectiveness and the play of the kids that we have on the D side of the ball.

And Mallett improved from year one to year two largely because he had a R/S year and a first year under the tutelage of BP. Yes, he has great talent, but even great talent needs developing or they likely never reach their full potential.

This is just a guess but I think that Ash got a good hard look at the talent and their level of coaching then took a look at his future prospects, job-wise, and freaked.

The whole year seemed to be more about not looking bad than it did trying to get a stop.

You would think that if you already knew that you weren't going to stop anybody and were going to have to rely on the other team to stop themselves that rolling the dice wouldn't hurt you score wise and might just help you.  Not taking any chances only leads me to believe that Ash was more concerned with style points.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on April 07, 2014, 06:51:22 am
This is just a guess but I think that Ash got a good hard look at the talent and their level of coaching then took a look at his future prospects, job-wise, and freaked.

The whole year seemed to be more about not looking bad than it did trying to get a stop.

You would think that if you already knew that you weren't going to stop anybody and were going to have to rely on the other team to stop themselves that rolling the dice wouldn't hurt you score wise and might just help you.  Not taking any chances only leads me to believe that Ash was more concerned with style points.

I agree, but that BBDB philosophy wasn't going to work when our passing game was lost when BA went down, and it was too late to change defensive philosophies at that point of the season.
Go Hogs Go!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike_e on April 07, 2014, 06:51:22 am

Although I admit I was screaming at the TV on that last drive by LSU as we played passively, it was still a botched assignment that allowed the TD, and had we played aggressive man looks the entire season, I think we would have seen A LOT more of that going on. 

When Derrick Henry made our entire back 7 look like they were running in quicksand, it explained a lot for me.  What most might perceive as a "bend, but don't break" defense, in our case was closer to, "damage control...best we can do with what we have to run out on the field."

We may see a swing toward more aggressive play, but I'm on the wait and see bus on whether or not we have the talent and experience to pull it off.  M. Irwin made it sound promising, and I'd rather see some big plays be made and play aggressively, than allow guys to catch the ball unmolested 7 yards down the field without even seeing one of our players within 5 yards of him.  I'm willing to get torched a few times to at least give our defense time to make a play or two on the QB, or at least make the QB uncomfortable and make some mistakes.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 07, 2014, 07:50:32 am
Although I admit I was screaming at the TV on that last drive by LSU as we played passively, it was still a botched assignment that allowed the TD, and had we played aggressive man looks the entire season, I think we would have seen A LOT more of that going on. 

When Derrick Henry made our entire back 7 look like they were running in quicksand, it explained a lot for me.  What most might perceive as a "bend, but don't break" defense, in our case was closer to, "damage control...best we can do with what we have to run out on the field."

We may see a swing toward more aggressive play, but I'm on the wait and see bus on whether or not we have the talent and experience to pull it off.  M. Irwin made it sound promising, and I'd rather see some big plays be made and play aggressively, than allow guys to catch the ball unmolested 7 yards down the field without even seeing one of our players within 5 yards of him.  I'm willing to get torched a few times to at least give our defense time to make a play or two on the QB, or at least make the QB uncomfortable and make some mistakes.   

It wasn't just BBDB Smalls, it was players being confused about calls and being out of position and when you are out of position and try to make a play, that creates the perception of not having adequate speed.

It's definitely a wait and see proposition, but I believe that the scheme this year, being lined up correctly on any particular call and playing receivers more aggressively off the LOS, will help our defense significantly.
Go Hogs Go!

bphi11ips

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 07, 2014, 07:50:32 am

When Derrick Henry made our entire back 7 look like they were running in quicksand

If you saw the pro day numbers you know the seniors may have been.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2014, 07:54:47 am
It wasn't just BBDB Smalls, it was players being confused about calls and being out of position and when you are out of position and try to make a play, that creates the perception of not having adequate speed.

It's definitely a wait and see proposition, but I believe that the scheme this year, being lined up correctly on any particular call and playing receivers more aggressively off the LOS, will help our defense significantly.

Oh, I know there was more to the story.  I don't want to get into a recap of the defense the past two seasons, because that will just make my blood pressure go up.  Suffice to say, that soft zone is not something I'm a fan of, and if we never see it again that will be too soon for my taste. 

What's scary is...regardless of the change in brass overseeing the defense, what we saw last year was VERY reminiscent of what we saw the year before.  I don't want to see that again this season...seen enough for a lifetime.             
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 07, 2014, 08:55:22 am
Oh, I know there was more to the story.  I don't want to get into a recap of the defense the past two seasons, because that will just make my blood pressure go up.  Suffice to say, that soft zone is not something I'm a fan of, and if we never see it again that will be too soon for my taste. 

What's scary is...regardless of the change in brass overseeing the defense, what we saw last year was VERY reminiscent of what we saw the year before.  I don't want to see that again this season...seen enough for a lifetime.             

When do you play a BBDB style of defense?

1. When you expect to have such a dynamic offense that they can control the ball and outscore opponents?
2. When you don't feel that you have the defensive talent and talented depth to be a strong defense in all aspects (front four, LB'ers and Secondary)?
3. A combination of the two?
4. Because with all of your years of successful experience in coaching defenses, you still don't have a clue as to what you are doing?

My choice is #3.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: swinesation on April 06, 2014, 12:36:51 pm
OL - improve somewhat
DL - same (hopefully)
LB - same - this weak position isn't going to be much better
CB - improve somewhat
Safety - improve - hopeful that Coley or Coleman will end up being very good at FS

I expect substantial improvement from the offensive line. They didn't lose anything they couldn't replace, and individual improvement will be much greater than it was in year one.

The defensive line is going to have a hard time being as good. Chris Smith was outstanding. Byran Jones was pretty much replaced before year end last season, but Robert Thomas was good when healthy. Starters might be fine, depth is questionable at tackle. The ends - it will be interesting to see where the new coaches go with them. If they don't have a super speed rusher like Smith, they need a mauler. Anyone see that out there? Will Deatrich Wise be a real pass rusher, or a tweener?

Linebacker's got to be better than last season. Did they lose anybody worth fretting about, no. Will Peters, Ellis, Spaight and Mitchell be much better prepared? No doubt. Anybody going to make honorable mention all-SEC, probably not. But they can rise far above awful.

The secondary could be vastly better. Bielema's number one priority in reshuffling his staff was to improve the coaching of the secondary. If I had any doubts about Bielema's first staff, it was his decision to retain Taver Johnson and to work the corners and safeties separately under two different coaches, Johnson and Chris Ash.

Johnson could have coached the whole secondary. He had done it before. He's doing it at Purdue. Ash was DBs coach and co-coordinator at Wisconsin. He is coaching the entire secondary at Ohio State. Their attempt to divide responsibilities was ... you saw the results. They definitely did not fit with the available personnel.

This year, Arkansas has two secondary coaches working together not apart. And they are excellent coaches who have succeeded without depending on blue-chip recruiting. Could be the Hogs still won't be good enough, but I bet the pass defense won't collapse the way they did at times last season. That is what happens when coaches ask players to do things they are physically incapable of doing, then bash them for their failures.
[CENSORED]!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2014, 10:12:48 am
When do you play a BBDB style of defense?

1. When you expect to have such a dynamic offense that they can control the ball and outscore opponents?
2. When you don't feel that you have the defensive talent and talented depth to be a strong defense in all aspects (front four, LB'ers and Secondary)?
3. A combination of the two?
4. Because with all of your years of successful experience in coaching defenses, you still don't have a clue as to what you are doing?

My choice is #3.

I agree.  And we may see more of it this season too, and I probably need to prepare mentally.   ;D

Lake City Hog

My thoughts on seeing improvement comes from all that has been hinted at by BB. Him talking about coaches not being on the same page, different coaches using different terminology and players being confused led me to believe that we had a real leadership issue.

If Ash was the right guy I don't think coaching terminology and coaches not being on the same page would have ever been an issue. The leader of the defense failed. He failed to take control of his assistants and get them all coaching the same way. He failed to prepare his defense to play his brand of football.

I don't think for 1 minute that Smith will tolerate an assistant coaching contrary to his philosophy. I don't think for 1 minute that Smith will tolerate an assistant using terminology that could be confusing to the players. Smith has taken charge and I think from that aspect alone we will see improvement of the entire defense.

For you guys that keep mouthing about our secondary, I remember watching Tevin as a freshman and sophomore and he played head and shoulders above what he did last year. I honestly doubt that he forgot how to play his position!

I watched Eric Bennett as a freshman and sophomore and it was just like Mitchel. He regressed under Haynes and under Ash. The biggest difference is that Mitchel has an opportunity to get back to a higher level as a senior.

tophawg19

I think FB  will be better as well Keiro . was a tough blocker but not very dangerous running the ball . walker and the others bring a new dimension , both running and receiving . just 1 more thing a defense has to prepare for. Go back and watch the few carries walker got when the other backs were suspended for a half. he was tough fast and getting 8 or more per carry
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

ArkansasI

If the Hogs Oline is as improved as I expect them to be, then the entire team will vastly improve.  The quarterback will be asked to do less.  The running backs will do more.  The defense will play less minutes.

I know that we lack real talent at several positions, but I think both lines will be respectable.  That will go a long ways toward 7 wins this year.  Hope for more will not likely be rewarded in 2014.  Schedule.  Age of our talent.  Absence of certain position players.  Continuing emergence of QB... these things take time.

MissippHog

Only time will tell, but I'm not so sure there will be a giant drop-off at K.  Hocker was great, but Hedlund isn't rated as one of the best 2 or 3 high school kickers for the hell of it. 

secneahog

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on April 06, 2014, 03:39:54 pm
QB - Will Improve
Returning: Brandon Allen, Austin Allen, Damon Mitchell, AJ Derby
Added: Rafe Peavey

RB - Will Improve
Returning: Jonathan Williams, Alex Collins, Korliss Marshall, Denzell Evans
Lost: Nate Holmes (transfer)
Added: Juan Day

FB - Will Not Improve
Returning: Kody Walker, Patrick Arinze, Chris Jones
Lost: Kiero Small

WR - Will Improve
Returning: Keon Hatcher, Eric Hawkins, Drew Morgan, Demetrius Wilson, D'Arthur Cowan
Lost: Javontee Herndon, Julian Horton, Melvinson Hartfield
Added: Jared Cornelius, Cody Hollister, JoJo Robinson, Kendrick Edwards

TE - Will Improve
Returning: Hunter Henry, Alex Voelzke, Mitchell Loewen, Jeremy Sprinkle
Lost: Austin Tate, Demetrius Dean
Added: Jack Kraus

OT - Will Improve
Returning: Brey Cook, Chris Stringer, Dan Skipper, Austin Beck
Lost: David Hurd
Added: Brian Wallace, Jovan Pruitt

OG - Will Improve
Returning: Mitch Smothers, Grady Ollison, Johnathan McClure, Marcus Danenhauer, Denver Kirkland, Reeve Koehler
Added: Sebastian Tretola

C - Will Not Improve
Returning: Cordale Boyd, Luke Charpentier
Lost: Travis Swanson
Added: Frank Ragnow

DE - Will Improve
Returning: Deatrich Wise Jr., Brandon Lewis, Trey Flowers, Tevin Beanum, JaMichael Winston
Lost: Chris Smith, Darrell Kelly-Thomas
Added: Anthony Brown, Jake Hall

DT - Will Not Improve
Returning: DeMarcus Hodge, Taiwan Johnson, Darius Philon, Jeremy Ward, Horace Arkadie, Ke'Tyrus Marks
Lost: Byran Jones, Robert Thomas
Added: Bijhon Jackson, Armon Watts

OLB - Will Improve
Returning: Braylon Mitchell, Alex Brignoni, Daunte Carr, Martrell Spaight
Lost: Jarrett Lake, Price Holmes, Myke Tavarres, AJ Turner
Added: Khalia Hackett, Randy Ramsey, Dwayne Eugene

MLB - Will Improve
Returning: Brooks Ellis, Otha Peters
Lost: Austin Jones, Robert Atiga

CB - Will Improve
Returning: Carroll Washington, Will Hines, Tevin Mitchel, Jared Collins, DJ Dean
Lost: Ray Buchanan Jr.
Added: Chris Murphy, Henre' Tolliver, Cornelius Floyd

S - Will Improve
Returning: Rohan Gaines, Alan Turner, De'Andre Coley, Tiquention Coleman, Davyon McKinney, Kelvin Fisher Jr.
Lost: Eric Bennett
Added: Joshua Liddell, Santos Ramirez

K - Will Not Improve
Returning: None
Lost: Zach Hocker
Added: Cole Hedlund

P - Will Improve
Returning: Sam Irwin-Hill

SNP - Will Improve
Returning: Allan D'Appollonio

I agree with your assessment besides DT. I think our dt unit will be improved. We do bring back a lot of young talent. But just because they are young doesn't mean that squad won't be improved from last year.

Horace,  Philon,  Hodge, Marks, Johnson.  They all have been in college for some time now. Another year under Herbert and being taught by another great DL Coach.

Anyone who says we have to add a true freshman to add depth to that spot is right. But Bijohn is one of if not the best DL recruit in the nation. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

swinesation

Quote from: MissippHog on April 07, 2014, 10:55:48 pm
Only time will tell, but I'm not so sure there will be a giant drop-off at K.  Hocker was great, but Hedlund isn't rated as one of the best 2 or 3 high school kickers for the hell of it. 

Hocker was one of the best kickers in the country. It's quite a stretch to think that any freshman can replace him without a considerable drop-off - I don't care what that freshman did in HS.

bennyl08

Quote from: swinesation on April 08, 2014, 12:07:29 pm
Hocker was one of the best kickers in the country. It's quite a stretch to think that any freshman can replace him without a considerable drop-off - I don't care what that freshman did in HS.

Kickers don't really seem to improve or decline much over time. Hocker's % steadily decreased until last season's resurgence. Tejada's was a very, very good kicker his freshman season, which made his misses later on that cost us several games all the more disappointing. I would venture a guess that for many kickers, the freshman doesn't know any better and can keep a shorter memory. The older they get, the more of a head case they can become.

Not to say we won't see a drop off. Only that the idea that there is a big disadvantage to being a freshman kicker may not be an accurate one.

Wildhog

I'm going to be terrified if we have to rely on Henson.

We need Hedlund to be as good in college as he was in HS.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

bennyl08

Quote from: Wildhog on April 08, 2014, 12:28:50 pm
I'm going to be terrified if we have to rely on Henson.

We need Hedlund to be as good in college as he was in HS.

There have been times where multiple coaching staffs trusted Henson more than Hocker. Henson isn't going to be booting any 50 yard fg's, but I think he's pretty solid from 35 in. Not exactly ideal, and we can do better, but not back breaking either.

Uncommon

Quote from: secneahog on April 08, 2014, 10:31:26 am
I agree with your assessment besides DT. I think our dt unit will be improved. We do bring back a lot of young talent. But just because they are young doesn't mean that squad won't be improved from last year.

Horace,  Philon,  Hodge, Marks, Johnson.  They all have been in college for some time now. Another year under Herbert and being taught by another great DL Coach.

Anyone who says we have to add a true freshman to add depth to that spot is right. But Bijohn is one of if not the best DL recruit in the nation. 
I was on the fence about DT but I leaned more towards Will Not Improve simply because Byran Jones and Robert Thomas have been starting at DT for us for the last three seasons or so.  And besides Darius Philon and some flashes from DeMarcus Hodge, there hasn't been steady production from anyone else currently on the team.

secneahog

Quote from: BeastBack 50 on April 08, 2014, 01:39:16 pm
I was on the fence about DT but I leaned more towards Will Not Improve simply because Byran Jones and Robert Thomas have been starting at DT for us for the last three seasons or so.  And besides Darius Philon and some flashes from DeMarcus Hodge, there hasn't been steady production from anyone else currently on the team.

I understand that but just because those two played a lot doesn't mean we won't Improve.
Just my opinion.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: lchog on April 06, 2014, 06:30:11 pm
I have seen more emotion from Smith and Jennings in 2 press conferences than I did from the other 2 guys in a full season and that is another huge plus. (I know Shannon coaches the LB's) Just like the O'Line I think that a 2nd year with Shannon will make a big difference, too.

I hope that between Cornelius, Morgan and Hollister we will always have a guy on the field that can catch that 3rd down throw that we just have to have to keep a drive alive.

Perfectly said.
This is my non-signature signature.