Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014 Defensive Starters

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, April 06, 2014, 08:34:44 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

I know it is way early to project this, but I think that we need more football discussion and fewer negative threads so I thought this might be a good topic of discussion after the scrimmage yesterday.

Those of you who were able to attend the scrimmage may be able to weigh in on this and give some of us who couldn't be there, information on how these players performed and who you feel is challenging for a starting role.

2014 heights and weights come from arkansasrazorbacks.com.

That being said, at this point, I think these will be our starters on defense.

Ht        Wt            Game Experience
DT: D. Philon               6-3       283                    12
DT: D. Hodge              6-1       343                    14

DE: T. Flowers             6-4       267                    36
DE: D. Wise                 6-6       267                    14

LB: B. Mitchell              6-3       231                    28
LB: B. Ellis                   6-2       237                    12
LB: O. Peters               6-2       226                    17

CB: T. Mitchel              6-0       188                    32
CB: W. Hines                6-1       191                    19

S:  A. Turner                6-0       201                    32
S:  R. Gaines                5-11      186                    22
         or
S:  D. McKinney             6-3       200                    22

I know that Ellis and Peters have been competing at MLB, but I have to wonder if they can afford to not have both of them on the field at the same time?

Who do you project to start at these positions and why?
Go Hogs Go!

three hog night

I am impressed with the game experience returning.  Your starting group is solid and I would go with it.  I think LB will be by committee- Spaight and Carr should play a lot.
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

elksnort

I don't think we can afford to not have the best 11 on the field. I'm hoping the Safety position improves also.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: three hog night on April 06, 2014, 08:50:26 am
I am impressed with the game experience returning.  Your starting group is solid and I would go with it.  I think LB will be by committee- Spaight and Carr should play a lot.

Overall, the total game experience returning by position is as follows:

DT: 33
DE: 74
LB:  80
CB:  85
S:  95
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

And the coaches seem to be capable of actually coaching. Now their challenge will be getting the kids to take practice to the games.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: locusbug on April 06, 2014, 09:06:52 am
And the coaches seem to be capable of actually coaching. Now their challenge will be getting the kids to take practice to the games.

True, but I am encouraged by the fact that they are allowing the kids to flow to the ball and try to be aggressive in making plays. Also that we are blitzing and applying pressure.
Go Hogs Go!

SoCal Hog

Two questions:

1. Will Philon gain more weight, or is he pretty stable at around 280?

2. Will Coley challenge for playing time at safety?
Most of our friends agree that I married better than my wife did.

atj64

I did not attend the scrimmage so my eval is strictly based on last year's performance.  Generally speaking, I agree with your projections.  We need that intimidating S ala Atwaters.  Maybe he will be Coley.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: SoCal Hog on April 06, 2014, 09:53:19 am
Two questions:

1. Will Philon gain more weight, or is he pretty stable at around 280?

2. Will Coley challenge for playing time at safety?

I wouldn't be surprised if Philon weighs more than that now. Bielema has already stated Flowers and Wise are both around 275-280 instead of the stated weight of 267, so it wouldn't unimaginable that Philon has already gained 10 or 15 pounds over the off season.
Go Hogs Go!

Lake City Hog

Muskee, the starters have never worried me. I thought last year we had more talent than the won/lost column showed. It is the backups that have me just a little concerned, especially at linebacker.

Depth may be the main reason behind the move of Alex Brignoni to LB. I am hoping that Carr, Spaight and Brignoni can provide enough quality minutes to give the starters some rest. I could see the Ramsey kid losing his redshirt.

Marks, Johnson and Arkadie should give us plenty of depth at DT, especially if we do rotate in some ends on passing downs. Are the 2nd team guys close enough to the #1's to let us use them when it counts? Jackson may be too good to keep off the field, but it would be great if he could redshirt.

Corner and Safety is in great shape with a pretty solid 2-deep at every position plus a couple of extra guys to keep everyone competing to hold their own spot! With the new coaches it appears that our D'Backs may not be such a weakness.

Overall we have some talent, just how much dropoff from the #1 guy to the #2 guy?

MS_HogFan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 06, 2014, 10:32:35 am
I wouldn't be surprised if Philon weighs more than that now. Bielema has already stated Flowers and Wise are both around 275-280 instead of the stated weight of 267, so it wouldn't unimaginable that Philon has already gained 10 or 15 pounds over the off season.

Someone on here, I think it was Biggus, said Philon had a hard time keeping his weight up during the season. I'm not sure if they have been able to fix that or not. Either way he is a playmaker and am thrilled he is a hog.
I think Dean will play a lot at corner.
I think Turner and Gaines are very similar players. I think they should rotate in and out for each other and someone wih better coverage skills should be the other safety. Maybe that could be a spot for Dean.

Thanks for starting a real razorback football thread.
SOOIE

IBleedRazorbackRed

Dean will challenge for pt and starting time at CB. Either way, he'll play a lot. I think coley plays a lot at safety too

Hogdomer

There is no way Bijhon Jackson is redshirting.  Coley plays ahead of McKinney, I think.  At least two of the freshman linebackers will play--one will be Ramsey.

swinesation

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 06, 2014, 11:24:51 am
Dean will challenge for pt and starting time at CB. Either way, he'll play a lot. I think coley plays a lot at safety too

I hope Coley and/or Coleman come on strong at FS and upgrade the position. Coleman could be one of those junior college players who takes a year to make the adjustment, then breaks out for his senior season.

swinesation

Hogdomer,

There is no way Bijhon Jackson is redshirting - YOU GOT THAT RIGHT 

Coley plays ahead of McKinney, I think - AGREED 

At least two of the freshman linebackers will play--one will be Ramsey - LIKE MEATLOAF SAID: DON'T FEEL SAD, CAUSE TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BAD

bennyl08

Two Deep:

DE: Flowers, Beanum
DT: Philon, Marks
DT: Jackson, Hodge
DE: Wise, Winston

The starters I mostly agree with you, but I think Jackson will be starting a majority of the season, though perhaps not week 1. I think Winston will rotate in the game a lot.

OLB: Spaight, Carr
MLB: Ellis, Peters/Mitchell
OLB: Peters, Mitchell

I agree that we can't afford to not have both Peters and Ellis on the field. I think Spaight's athleticism gets him the other LB spot. The main backups will be Mitchell and Carr, though we may switch to nickel a fair amount, in which case, Spaight may be the guy who gets replaced.

CB: Mitchel, Washington
CB: Hines, Dean
S: TQ Coleman, Turner
S: Gaines, Coley

Dean will be like Winston where he is played enough to practically be a starter as well. I think TQ will be a main starter, but Coley could surpass Gaines. Turner will rotate in a fair amount.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

April 06, 2014, 02:23:58 pm #16 Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:35:56 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: bennyl08 on April 06, 2014, 01:02:07 pm
Two Deep:

DE: Flowers, Beanum
DT: Philon, Marks
DT: Jackson, Hodge
DE: Wise, Winston

The starters I mostly agree with you, but I think Jackson will be starting a majority of the season, though perhaps not week 1. I think Winston will rotate in the game a lot.

OLB: Spaight, Carr
MLB: Ellis, Peters/Mitchell
OLB: Peters, Mitchell

I agree that we can't afford to not have both Peters and Ellis on the field. I think Spaight's athleticism gets him the other LB spot. The main backups will be Mitchell and Carr, though we may switch to nickel a fair amount, in which case, Spaight may be the guy who gets replaced.

CB: Mitchel, Washington
CB: Hines, Dean
S: TQ Coleman, Turner
S: Gaines, Coley

Dean will be like Winston where he is played enough to practically be a starter as well. I think TQ will be a main starter, but Coley could surpass Gaines. Turner will rotate in a fair amount.

Of all returning players from last year, Braylon Mitchell has the second most tackles (Solo and Assisted) with 55.5 and Turner with 67. Now maybe they don't start because they don't pass the execution test of the new DC/position coaches, but Coleman only had 1 tackle (2 Asst Tackles total = 1 full tackle) last year from what I can see and Spaight, though very athletic, had 18.

We'll see what happens but I have a hard time seeing Mitchell and Turner relegated to second team. I think Spaight will play a great deal, I just think it will be in situational packages and not as an official starter. 
Go Hogs Go!

bennyl08

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 06, 2014, 02:23:58 pm
Of all returning players from last year, Braylon Mitchell has the second most tackles (Solo and Assisted) with 55.5 and Turner with 67. Now maybe they don't start because they don't pass the execution test of the new DC/position coaches, but Coleman only had 1 tackle (2 Asst Tackles total = 1 full tackle) last year from what I can see and Spaight, though very athletic, had 18.

We'll see what happens but I have a hard time seeing Mitchell and Turner relegated to second team. I think Spaight will play a great deal, I just think it will be in situational packages and not as an official starter.

Both guys were JUCO's who were not only trying to learn the system (as was everybody else on the team) but were also acclimating from JUCO to the SEC. Mitchell and Turner were both upperclassmen who had been practicing and having special teams play in the SEC for years. All four will play a good bit, IMO. However, i think the mental aspect clicks for the two JUCO's. If they can close the gap on Turner and Mitchell mentally, both Spaight and Coleman are superior athletes. Hence, I think they will start.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Lake City Hog

Benny, I enjoy your posts! You seem to have a solid grasp on reality, but in this case I do disagree with you. I think Mitchell will be hard to beat especially if we play a more aggressive style.

If Spaight is a little quicker we might see him rotate in on passing downs, but Mitchell's size and tackling ability keeps him on the field a lot. If Coley gets a bit more lead in his britches I could see him taking a safety spot for keeps!

hawgXi

somebody upstairs must think we're set at safety if they're moving marshal to offense and brignoni to LB?

tophawg19

benny I like Jackson but I think Hodge is the starter this year . Jackson will play a good bit but Hodge is SEC ready
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tophawg19 on April 06, 2014, 08:05:05 pm
benny I like Jackson but I think Hodge is the starter this year . Jackson will play a good bit but Hodge is SEC ready

I think we all hope that Jackson comes in and plays at an SEC level from day one, and I do think he will be used in a rotation as a Freshman, but to take over a starting role? That's pretty ambitious, though not impossible. Still, I think Hodge gets the starting nod against Auburn. What occurs after that remains to be seen.

But after last year, I don't think Bielema is going to take many chances as he needs to win at least 6 this season and as Mike Irwin's report said, experience is going to trump potential this year. That doesn't mean that we won't see some young kids get a lot of playing time this year, but I think the foundation is going to be the guys with multiple games of experience under their belts, at least initially.
Go Hogs Go!

Josh Goforth

In the scrimmage the Lbs who were getting first team reps were Ellis at MLB. Mitchell weakside, and Spaight strongside.

In the secondary it was Mitchell, and Hines at corners, turner at ss, and Gaines at FS with the first team reps.

Didn't watch enough of the dline other than to notice they were getting a tremendous push in the pass rush, and that when they blitzed a DE dropped in coverage.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on April 06, 2014, 08:28:33 pm
In the scrimmage the Lbs who were getting first team reps were Ellis at MLB. Mitchell weakside, and Spaight strongside.

In the secondary it was Mitchell, and Hines at corners, turner at ss, and Gaines at FS with the first team reps.

Didn't watch enough of the dline other than to notice they were getting a tremendous push in the pass rush, and that when they blitzed a DE dropped in coverage.

I would certainly enjoy seeing a lot of opponents get "Spaighted" multiple times this year.
Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

I believe Khalia Hackett is also projected at linebacker

tophawg19

Jackson has great upside potential but still needs time to learn to use all his talent . He will have to learn to rely on technique as well as strength . he has all the gifts but has gotten by based on strength most of the time . if you can find it , Watch the Camden Fairview game . he still needs work on technique and not taking himself out of plays . By his soph. year he will be a Manster . if he gets serious , he will play on Sundays for a long time
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

bennyl08

Smothers is certainly and SEC level OG, but that didn't keep him from being beat out by a true freshman. Grady is another guy who is pretty good, but he was eventually benched as well (mainly because B. Cook is too good to keep off the field, but both Kirkland and Skipper were too.) I would be surprised to see Jackson starting week 1. However, I would also be surprised if he wasn't starting by week 7.

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on April 06, 2014, 08:28:33 pm

Actually Washington and Collins started at CB saturday
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 07, 2014, 01:14:31 am
Smothers is certainly and SEC level OG, but that didn't keep him from being beat out by a true freshman. Grady is another guy who is pretty good, but he was eventually benched as well (mainly because B. Cook is too good to keep off the field, but both Kirkland and Skipper were too.) I would be surprised to see Jackson starting week 1. However, I would also be surprised if he wasn't starting by week 7.

I hope you are right about Jackson, benny. I'd love to see the kid come in and have that kind of success right away. It can only make us as a team, better. Competition is a good thing. We'll see, maybe he is SEC ready. Considering that we only have four DT's returning with any experience at all (mostly in Philon and Hodge) and some others that have transferred positions, we need all of the quality depth that we can find.
Go Hogs Go!

hawg66

Hodge was playing a bunch at the end of last year, and is absolutely a force on the inside.  He's not a penetrator at the line of scrimmage like Philon, but he's a rock.  A perfect One technique.  The only question on him is his injury.  If he comes back 100%, he'll be hard to beat out.

Josh Goforth

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 07, 2014, 04:31:56 am
Actually Washington and Collins started at CB saturday

Prob right, what number is Washington?  Was more concerned  with watching the  LBs.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawg66 on April 07, 2014, 07:49:31 am
Hodge was playing a bunch at the end of last year, and is absolutely a force on the inside.  He's not a penetrator at the line of scrimmage like Philon, but he's a rock.  A perfect One technique.  The only question on him is his injury.  If he comes back 100%, he'll be hard to beat out.

Hodge had 20 tackles last year. If he is healthy, at 343, he needs to be in there at least to start the season and maybe the starter all season long. We'll see.
Go Hogs Go!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 06, 2014, 08:58:38 am
Overall, the total game experience returning by position is as follows:

DT: 33
DE: 74
LB:  80
CB:  85
S:  95

Normal children have fewer nightmares. Not sure experience is a good thing here.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Coleman is unlikely to start in front of Turner at safety.

Spaight is in line to start at the speed LB position.

Peters is backup MLB. They absolutely need versatility at that position and can't rely on one.

Collins and Washington are closer to being Robb Smith's style of CB, because they have better cover skills. Chris Murphy is a serious contender too (if he learns enough). Mitchel has to show he can cover. Some other guys' speed is in question.

If the Hogs had to play a game today, they probably would do a lot of situational substitution at the corners. Collins and Washington are not good in run support. The priority is to stop the big play busts first. Choosing corners based on their run defense is a bad idea in this conference.

How much Coley plays depends on how fast he picks up the mental aspects. His talent level is a step up from the others.

Winston has a fight on his hands to be in the top four DEs. He isn't ahead of Wise or Lewis, and Beanum is pushing him too.
[CENSORED]!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 07, 2014, 03:11:02 pm
Normal children have fewer nightmares. Not sure experience is a good thing here.

I am encouraged by the experience level that returns in the Secondary. What we don't don't know is their ability to learn a different philosophy quickly and how that relates to their ability to execute that on the field. We will find out in August.
Go Hogs Go!

Cotton

If Tevin 'I give a 30 yard cushion' Mitchel is our best option at CB, it's gonna be a rough year for passing defense.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cotton on April 07, 2014, 06:01:02 pm
If Tevin 'I give a 30 yard cushion' Mitchel is our best option at CB, it's gonna be a rough year for passing defense.

Just keep in mind, that wasn't his scheme for CB's, but that of the DC.
Go Hogs Go!

Cotton

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2014, 06:12:48 pm
Just keep in mind, that wasn't his scheme for CB's, but that of the DC.
Im talking about the player, not the coaching. How do you give somebody 30 yards and get beat deep??

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cotton on April 07, 2014, 06:21:11 pm
Im talking about the player, not the coaching. How do you give somebody 30 yards and get beat deep??

Coaching, confusion about calls, and maybe not even his confusion but perhaps that of the Safety. Too many variables to just pick out a single play or group of plays and say, "this is how it was". Unfortunately, none of us were in the players/position meetings to know what the real reason was.
Go Hogs Go!

Cotton

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2014, 06:24:43 pm
Coaching, confusion about calls, and maybe not even his confusion but perhaps that of the Safety. Too many variables to just pick out a single play or group of plays and say, "this is how it was". Unfortunately, none of us were in the players/position meetings to know what the real reason was.
As a whole, he was one of the worst players on the field. Can't blame coaching when a player doesn't perform.

For example, Cover 3 he has a deep third of the field, gives a player 25 yards of cushion and gets ran by deep. There is no confusion or coaching problems there, just poor execution.

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Cotton on April 07, 2014, 06:28:52 pm
As a whole, he was one of the worst players on the field. Can't blame coaching when a player doesn't perform.

For example, Cover 3 he has a deep third of the field, gives a player 25 yards of cushion and gets ran by deep. There is no confusion or coaching problems there, just poor execution.

That being said, we don't want to bash current players on here. I'll just say that the answer probably isn't as simple as either of us think it may be.
Go Hogs Go!

Cotton

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 07, 2014, 06:34:02 pm
That being said, we don't want to bash current players on here. I'll just say that the answer probably isn't as simple as either of us think it may be.
You're right. I usually don't bash players... Here's to hoping he improves this off season and makes me eat crow in the fall!

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: jg8417 on April 07, 2014, 08:06:17 am
Prob right, what number is Washington?  Was more concerned  with watching the  LBs.
Washington is 21, Collins is 29 and Mitchell is now 23
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

bennyl08

Tevin is currently our best corner. He messed up that play. However, he has the best combination of ball skills in the air, speed, physicality, and tackling. I trust Collins the most when the ball is in the air, but he has a lot of room to improve on when it comes to tackling. Pretty much every missed tackle in the secondary during our spring game was Collins. He improved during the season, but he still has a ways to go. Hines and Dean are both similar to Mitchel to me, just with less experience. Notice, every year since Eric Bennett, we have played and started a true freshman at corner. Bennett, Mitchel, Hines, Dean. Plus, with some of the talent coming in this year at corner, it could continue for at least a 5th year.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 08, 2014, 12:02:21 pm
Tevin is currently our best corner. He messed up that play. However, he has the best combination of ball skills in the air, speed, physicality, and tackling. I trust Collins the most when the ball is in the air, but he has a lot of room to improve on when it comes to tackling. Pretty much every missed tackle in the secondary during our spring game was Collins. He improved during the season, but he still has a ways to go. Hines and Dean are both similar to Mitchel to me, just with less experience. Notice, every year since Eric Bennett, we have played and started a true freshman at corner. Bennett, Mitchel, Hines, Dean. Plus, with some of the talent coming in this year at corner, it could continue for at least a 5th year.

Let us hope not. Experience is important and should lead to better play. Not saying it will, but it should.
Go Hogs Go!

redleg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 06, 2014, 08:34:44 am
I know it is way early to project this, but I think that we need more football discussion and fewer negative threads so I thought this might be a good topic of discussion after the scrimmage yesterday.

Those of you who were able to attend the scrimmage may be able to weigh in on this and give some of us who couldn't be there, information on how these players performed and who you feel is challenging for a starting role.

2014 heights and weights come from arkansasrazorbacks.com.

That being said, at this point, I think these will be our starters on defense.

Ht        Wt            Game Experience
DT: D. Philon               6-3       283                    12
DT: D. Hodge              6-1       343                    14

DE: T. Flowers             6-4       267                    36
DE: D. Wise                 6-6       267                    14

LB: B. Mitchell              6-3       231                    28
LB: B. Ellis                   6-2       237                    12
LB: O. Peters               6-2       226                    17

CB: T. Mitchel              6-0       188                    32
CB: W. Hines                6-1       191                    19

S:  A. Turner                6-0       201                    32
S:  R. Gaines                5-11      186                    22
         or
S:  D. McKinney             6-3       200                    22

I know that Ellis and Peters have been competing at MLB, but I have to wonder if they can afford to not have both of them on the field at the same time?

Who do you project to start at these positions and why?

I like your lineup...but I think Bijhon Jackson will supplant Hodge at DT, look for Otha Peters or Matrell Spaight to start at one of the OLB spots, and Gaines will be the guy at SS. De'Andre Coley will seriously push Turner at FS.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redleg on April 09, 2014, 04:13:31 pm
I like your lineup...but I think Bijhon Jackson will supplant Hodge at DT, look for Otha Peters or Matrell Spaight to start at one of the OLB spots, and Gaines will be the guy at SS. De'Andre Coley will seriously push Turner at FS.

Too early to tell on Jackson, though some expect him to have semi-instant success, which he may have, but he hasn't even reported to camp yet so we will see. Being dominant in high school is quite different than being good enough to start as a true Freshman in the SEC. I say let's wait and see. If he has the ability to come in and adapt to the speed of the SEC game such a level that he can start by the 6th or 7th game of the season, he will be one heck of a player for us in the future.

As for LB, that is the question that I asked above. You have Braylon Mitchell who had the second most tackles on the team last year and I am not sure that you can keep him, Ellis or Peters off the field at the same time. Can we really afford to, especially early on? Spaight will be better, but I believe he will be a situational player.

We'll see if Coley pushes Turner as the starter, maybe he will? But Turner, of all returning players, lead the team in tackles last year. It's going to take a pretty doggone good player to justify replacing him, in my opinion. Not saying it can't be done, just saying someone is going to have to perform pretty well to overcome an experienced guy like him. Maybe it will happen, maybe not, we will see.
Go Hogs Go!

Tim Harris

Quote from: MS_HogFan on April 06, 2014, 10:47:29 am
Someone on here, I think it was Biggus, said Philon had a hard time keeping his weight up during the season. I'm not sure if they have been able to fix that or not. Either way he is a playmaker and am thrilled he is a hog.
I think Dean will play a lot at corner.
I think Turner and Gaines are very similar players. I think they should rotate in and out for each other and someone wih better coverage skills should be the other safety. Maybe that could be a spot for Dean.

Thanks for starting a real razorback football thread.

It isn't just putting the weight on and keeping it there but also being able to play at the heavier weight. From what I've read elsewhere he is more comfortable and plays better around the 285-290 mark.

bennyl08

As for Jackson vs Hodge, obviously it would be best for Jackson to RS, but I think most agree he won't. The question is, will he start or not. I doubt he starts vs Auburn, but the best player is the one with the best combined physical and mental talent. Hodge will undoubtable have the mental edge on Jackson at the beginning. However, I think that Jackson's physical talent will be hard to keep off the field once his understanding of the game improves.

I think Turner and Mitchell are solid backup up players, but when watching the games for a second time and overanalyzing w/o know the scheme, they are players that know what they are doing, but lack the athleticism to do it well. Hence, when younger players and/or those who are more athletic are able to pick up the scheme, players like Turner and Mithell will be relegated to second string.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on April 09, 2014, 07:03:46 pm
As for Jackson vs Hodge, obviously it would be best for Jackson to RS, but I think most agree he won't. The question is, will he start or not. I doubt he starts vs Auburn, but the best player is the one with the best combined physical and mental talent. Hodge will undoubtable have the mental edge on Jackson at the beginning. However, I think that Jackson's physical talent will be hard to keep off the field once his understanding of the game improves.

I think Turner and Mitchell are solid backup up players, but when watching the games for a second time and overanalyzing w/o know the scheme, they are players that know what they are doing, but lack the athleticism to do it well. Hence, when younger players and/or those who are more athletic are able to pick up the scheme, players like Turner and Mithell will be relegated to second string.

I don't think Jackson R/S's simply because he will probably have a high up side early and we need some talented depth at that position right away. That doesn't mean that he will start, but he may work himself into the rotation over the course of the season.
Go Hogs Go!