Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It's Early!!!

Started by TikiHog, April 05, 2014, 11:55:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TikiHog

tried telling ya'll its early...great weekend at Baum...should have won all 3 but I'll take 2..I don't expect us to win it all but with this pitching staff we'll put a scare into someone...WPS!!!

Sueie

If we would have had Brown in the game we possibly would have had the chance for the sweep.

Sueie

Quote from: TikiHog on April 05, 2014, 11:55:57 pm
tried telling ya'll its early...great weekend at Baum...should have won all 3 but I'll take 2..I don't expect us to win it all but with this pitching staff we'll put a scare into someone...WPS!!!
Can we all agree that the 3 weekend starters are set in stone. Don't screw with something that works.

TikiHog

I agree and I also think DVH tweeking the line-up was huge

A_R_K_A_N_S_A_S

Quote from: TikiHog on April 05, 2014, 11:55:57 pm
I don't expect us to win it all but with this pitching staff we'll put a scare into someone...WPS!!!
Agree. I'm not giving up on this team making some noise BECAUSE of the pitching staff. Even if we barely sneak into the tournament, our bats could get hot and we could go a long way. Actually with warm bats we could do well.

ricepig

Quote from: Sueie on April 06, 2014, 12:06:57 am
If we would have had Brown in the game we possibly would have had the chance for the sweep.

Or, we could have lost all three.

3kgthog

Isn't the bats question the same every year? We're always left relying on them come postseason time because our arms are worn to a thread. Get some run support during the regular season so those pitchers don't have to pitch so many innings.

tennesseehogwild

Movimg Spoon to leadoff has paid dividends for the offense. Hopefully our offense can keep the mini roll going.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Sueie on April 06, 2014, 12:06:57 am

My God.  I'm starting to think Matt Brown is a little more than another player to you.

kennymayne

Our pitchers don't throw any more innings than anyone else's. Unless, of course, they have low pitch counts like you saw this weekend.

ucahogfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 06, 2014, 09:11:51 am
Isn't the bats question the same every year? We're always left relying on them come postseason time because our arms are worn to a thread. Get some run support during the regular season so those pitchers don't have to pitch so many innings.
The big difference this year is DVH is letting the starters go much longer which keeps our pen much fresher than it has been in years past.  That will pay big dividends come postseason time as our starters will be able to go 115-120 pitches in their outing instead of 100 and our pen will be pretty fresh from not being overused.

Heck, I think our starting rotation is better this year than it was last year.  Who would have thought that entering the season?  Oliver is every bit as talented as Stanek as we saw yesterday.  Killian has more talent than Astin IMO and has done a great job of filling up the zone and not issuing free passes to this point.  Beeks has been excellent as well being the ace of the staff.

And yes, our offense is a huge question mark, but they have shown flashes of being solid like yesterday and if they can consistently put together ABs and take advantages of the opponents'' mistakes like we did this weekend, we will win a lot of games.  Also need to get McAfee back healthy as he was swinging it well before he went down with injury.

Quote from: TikiHog on April 06, 2014, 12:12:08 am
I agree and I also think DVH tweeking the line-up was huge
That was huge.  While Benintendi is an ideal leadoff hitter, Spoon did a great job there as well.  It also lets Serrano swing more often in the 3 hole instead of bunting Benintendi over like has been happening.  Anderson also gets more RBI opportunities with those 3 in front of him.

One big test for this offense comes Friday against Nola.  Heck, one run will be a good job as it will raise his ERA.  We just need to approach him like we approached Crowe as he also will fill up the zone.

reddogjcss

I expected the team to be a little down this year but they are some what surprising me. Lots of fight in this team and improving every game. Im proud of my Razorbacks. They keep hitting the ball and we will be there again this year.
I can't wait to attend another game! WPS

Sueie

Quote from: Baseball Hog on April 06, 2014, 11:12:12 am
My God.  I'm starting to think Matt Brown is a little more than another player to you.
I also told you the pitching staff would not suffer from last year. I also told you that this was NOT a rebuilding year. I also told you Bernal would be the best infielder in the last several years. So I will tell you one more time it does no good to waste a year for a redshirt who will probably leave after his junior year anyway. That is why you play him this year.

TikiHog

While Bernal is good Wernes is by FAR the best infielder we have so mark Bernal as 2nd best

Sueie

Quote from: TikiHog on April 06, 2014, 02:15:55 pm
While Bernal is good Wernes is by FAR the best infielder we have so mark Bernal as 2nd best
You are always good for a laugh. IF McAfee would have remained healthy Bernal would have never left 3rd. But "someone" had to do it.

Henry Hogsome

I listened to 2 of the 3 games, and I like our pitching, and our defense. Our batters are weak hitters though. We just can not score enough runs. This is on CDVH, and his lack of recruiting good hitters,and also a lack of power. Hopefully this team of Hogs can hit better in key spots, and drive in more runs. This lack of driving in runs has cost the Hogs some games this year. This is just my honest opinion though. This hitting lineup has got to produce runs to back up our good pitching. I hope the Hogs can make the NCAA Baseball field. Go Hogs.

jry04

Looks like it is the same story this year as it was last year. Have potential to go to the CWS, but could easily be eliminated in regionals. Our pitching staff will clearly keep us in every game. We have 3 pitchers who have the ability to go 7 or 8 innings, and Gunn has been lights out. Just need to execute at the plate in the various scenarios (hit and runs, bunts, sac flies) and we will be dangerous.

If Poche can get something other than his fastball working then we will have another dangerous arm.

TikiHog

Quote from: Sueie on April 06, 2014, 02:19:06 pm
You are always good for a laugh. IF McAfee would have remained healthy Bernal would have never left 3rd. But "someone" had to do it.

Once given the chance he proved he's hands down the best...lets see if McAfee gets well and moves back to short lets see who plays 3rd LOL

Henry Hogsome

Pitching, and relief pitching have to remain strong, and defense as well, and I think it will. just need to improve our timely-situational hitting in key spots. More RBI;S are needed in every game.

Baseball Hog

Quote from: Sueie on April 06, 2014, 02:11:11 pm
I also told you the pitching staff would not suffer from last year. I also told you that this was NOT a rebuilding year. I also told you Bernal would be the best infielder in the last several years. So I will tell you one more time it does no good to waste a year for a redshirt who will probably leave after his junior year anyway. That is why you play him this year.

Step off your high horse, I've said all those things preseason as well.  All I'm saying is, we could be talking about tacos and you'd chime in about how Matt Brown is the best Taco eater this side of Memphis.

jacobp

Quote from: TikiHog on April 06, 2014, 05:24:10 pm
Once given the chance he proved he's hands down the best...lets see if McAfee gets well and moves back to short lets see who plays 3rd LOL
this +1. Wernes is not coming off of 3rd base.

lc480

Was not impressed with the S.Carolina baseball team. For sure not a #1 team.

jacobp

Quote from: lc480 on April 07, 2014, 10:57:36 am
Was not impressed with the S.Carolina baseball team. For sure not a #1 team.
Yes, it was all that SC is terribly overrated and not that we outplayed them this weekend. They're not very good at all.

*I hope you noted the sarcasm in my post, because it is dripping with it.

lc480

Van Horn paying you to post on here?

jacobp

Quote from: lc480 on April 07, 2014, 11:13:17 am
Van Horn paying you to post on here?
Why would he need to? We just dominated one of the best baseball teams in the country, and you're trying to find ways to down play it.

lc480

Looks like he needs all the help he can get.

jacobp

Quote from: lc480 on April 07, 2014, 11:15:48 am
Looks like he needs all the help he can get.
I'd love for you to elaborate on this...But trolls seldom do.

lc480

He must be you idol. Talking about beating SC. He better dam well win the home series if he hope to have a good season.

jacobp

I give up with you. You are going on ignore. Its obvious that you are completely clueless about baseball and come on here to troll. I can't handle your idiocy anymore.

lc480

Yes I guess your are the only one that know everything about baseball or at least your a legend in your own mind.LMAO

dotnet

Quote from: Sueie on April 06, 2014, 02:11:11 pm
I also told you Bernal would be the best infielder in the last several years. 

Do you really think Bernal is going to keep playing once McAfee comes back? 

McAfee has a much higher OPS and he has less errors at short even though he has played more games there than Bernal. 

jacobp

Our best infielders are on the corners.

And Anderson keeps getting better and better at 2nd.

Hooch

Quote from: lc480 on April 07, 2014, 11:23:08 am
He must be youR idol. Talking about beating SC. He better dam well win the home series if he hopeS to have a good season.
Quote from: lc480 on April 07, 2014, 11:26:30 am
Yes I guess your areyou are or You're the only one that knowS everything about baseball or at least your you'rea legend in your own mind.LMAO

Do you know the difference in you, your, and you're?  Also if you put "s" on the end of words like "hope" or "know" it would help your case. 

TheArkansasTraveller