Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Saturday Scrimmage notes

Started by oif_vet, April 05, 2014, 06:45:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

oif_vet

I went to the scrimmage today and took down some notes while I was there of my observations.

Hunter Henry made a couple nice catches and a really pretty catch and long TD run after the catch. Jared Cornelius made some really nice catches and looked like Joe Adams out there. He was also practicing before the scrimmage as the punt returner. Cody Hollister made two jump ball catches one of which was for a TD. Cody Hollister will probably get some redzone snaps. Offense had a lot of false starts and there were some center issues with the ball not getting clean into QB's hands. Alex Collins had the best run of the day and didn't look fat to me. The corners were playing up on the receivers instead of the cushion we are use to seeing. Defense made some open field tackles and even if the first person didn't get the open field tackle they held onto them so the swarm could finish up. The defense is swarming to the ball. Defensive line looks really good and will be excellent run stoppers early in games.

As far as the QB's Brandon and AJ were better than everyone else. When Duwop got his chance he was inaccurate and inconsistent. I'm a fan of Rafe but he is not ready to take the job and will need to redshirt as he looked confused out there and looks like he needs more time in the gym.However I would say he is the future as you could see has upside.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Im really anxious to see if there is any improvement in the DBs and LBs.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: oif_vet on April 05, 2014, 06:45:27 pm
I went to the scrimmage today and took down some notes while I was there of my observations.

Hunter Henry made a couple nice catches and a really pretty catch and long TD run after the catch. Jared Cornelius made some really nice catches and looked like Joe Adams out there. He was also practicing before the scrimmage as the punt returner. Cody Hollister made two jump ball catches one of which was for a TD. Cody Hollister will probably get some redzone snaps. Offense had a lot of false starts and there were some center issues with the ball not getting clean into QB's hands. Alex Collins had the best run of the day and didn't look fat to me. The corners were playing up on the receivers instead of the cushion we are use to seeing. Defense made some open field tackles and even if the first person didn't get the open field tackle they held onto them so the swarm could finish up. The defense is swarming to the ball. Defensive line looks really good and will be excellent run stoppers early in games.

As far as the QB's Brandon and AJ were better than everyone else. When Duwop got his chance he was inaccurate and inconsistent. I'm a fan of Rafe but he is not ready to take the job and will need to redshirt as he looked confused out there and looks like he needs more time in the gym.However I would say he is the future as you could see has upside.
Thank goodness
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

JIHawg

thefisher

Thanks for the update from someone with eyes at practice! +1
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Prestworthy

The new coaches stood out to me.  DC is hyped and you can hear him scream from Dickson Street.  Looked very intense.  The coach from TCU also looked very hyped up.  I think both will be great motivators.

MissippHog

Alex Collins had the best run of the day and didn't look fat to me.
Thank goodness.  Perhaps when Ched saw him AC was hormonal and retaining fluid  ;)

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: MissippHog on April 05, 2014, 08:06:58 pm
Thank goodness.  Perhaps when Ched saw him AC was hormonal and retaining fluid  ;)
Amazing how much difference a few days can make.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

Laughing Hog

Did you notice if the d backs actually turned and looked for the ball on pass plays?
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

three hog night

Quote from: Laughing Hog on April 05, 2014, 10:32:42 pm
Did you notice if the d backs actually turned and looked for the ball on pass plays?

Now that would be major improvement!
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 05, 2014, 08:02:09 pm
The new coaches stood out to me.  DC is hyped and you can hear him scream from Dickson Street.  Looked very intense.  The coach from TCU also looked very hyped up.  I think both will be great motivators.

Dang we agree on something. My feeling is the new defensive coaches are going to shock a few people before the season is over with. Of course these same feelings told me any company with a stupid name like Google isn't worth investing it.

So take my feelings for what it is worth.  :D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Mike said they were swatting down some passes, so they must have been.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

oif_vet

The d backs were better at turning their heads on some plays because there were two interceptions. Still early in spring practice so expect some improvement. Had trouble with slants. Before the scrimmage they had a drill where two players stood across from each other 10 yards away and went after each other so toughness is being instilled. Can't stress enough how improved the tackling looked. I didn't watch the linebackers too much so cant really say anything about them and don't want to just throw something out there. At this point in time I guess a 6 win team but with a lot more spring practice to go and a spring game if they show more improvement by the spring game 7 or 8 wins could be a realistic goal.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: oif_vet on April 06, 2014, 09:07:02 am
The d backs were better at turning their heads on some plays because there were two interceptions. Still early in spring practice so expect some improvement. Had trouble with slants. Before the scrimmage they had a drill where two players stood across from each other 10 yards away and went after each other so toughness is being instilled. Can't stress enough how improved the tackling looked. I didn't watch the linebackers too much so cant really say anything about them and don't want to just throw something out there. At this point in time I guess a 6 win team but with a lot more spring practice to go and a spring game if they show more improvement by the spring game 7 or 8 wins could be a realistic goal.

They mentioned in the presser about "Deny your man the ball" as a new drill.

oif_vet

Quote from: locusbug on April 06, 2014, 09:10:31 am
They mentioned in the presser about "Deny your man the ball" as a new drill.

I didn't see that drill. I was one of the first ones through the gate when they opened it but it was hard to watch what each group was doing at the same time. They had like 5 different groups in different parts of the field. Sometimes I would hear people go ohhh and wonder what happened lol

WorfHog

Quote from: three hog night on April 06, 2014, 08:52:29 am
Now that would be major improvement!

BB expected better, he yelled at them a couple times about keeping their eyes on the [CENSORED] ball. That's almost an exact quote.

These scrims are a lot of fun, it's cool to listen to the coaching. I stuck around and listened to the post-scrim on field talk BB gave to the team. If you love football and can make it out, it wasalmost 4 hours of FREE entertainment, and wear sunscreen, my face and neck got blasted.

Dark Helmet Hog

Thanks for sharing.

Hawgzinbowlz

Yes they did turn and look for the ball. Like a normal DB should.

" GO HOGS "

reddogjcss

Thanks for the update! Looking forward to the Red White game. Lucky this year and carrying bunch of the family,

ChitownHawg

Quote from: oif_vet on April 06, 2014, 09:15:19 am
I didn't see that drill. I was one of the first ones through the gate when they opened it but it was hard to watch what each group was doing at the same time. They had like 5 different groups in different parts of the field. Sometimes I would hear people go ohhh and wonder what happened lol

Actually the more I think about it CRS mentioned that on Friday, so probably the reporter saw it during the week.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: locusbug on April 06, 2014, 02:22:33 pm
Actually the more I think about it CRS mentioned that on Friday, so probably the reporter saw it during the week.

I think we need a different shortcut than CRS. Too many RS's on the coaching staff

ChitownHawg

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 06, 2014, 02:41:50 pm
I think we need a different shortcut than CRS. Too many RS's on the coaching staff

Rob Smith... Randy Shannon. I never noticed that when I typed it. I can do RSmith and Ranshan.  :D

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: locusbug on April 06, 2014, 02:44:07 pm
Rob Smith... Randy Shannon. I never noticed that when I typed it. I can do RSmith and Ranshan.  :D

Segrest too

ChitownHawg

rmcchris

Quote from: locusbug on April 06, 2014, 09:02:36 am
Dang we agree on something. My feeling is the new defensive coaches are going to shock a few people before the season is over with. Of course these same feelings told me any company with a stupid name like Google isn't worth investing it.

So take my feelings for what it is worth.  :D
Agree but because we were so bad on defense last year, it has to shock you when we make plays we should make, etc.