Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did anyone go to practice today?

Started by Mike_e, April 05, 2014, 01:50:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JIHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 05, 2014, 06:08:52 pm
Passing D still very weak. BA went 17-20 for 250, but showed how weak the D played often times receivers were wide open.

Also, Peavey needs to play. BA looks scared to death in the pocket compared to RP. You can't teach composure. RP has it.

Why would he look scared?  He can't be tackled.

Boarcephus

I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Prestworthy

Quote from: JIHawg on April 05, 2014, 07:42:31 pm

Why would he look scared?  He can't be tackled.
That's what I didn't understand.  He did not look like a RS Junior SEC QB.  When pressure came he was frantic.  I was at the practice and made it a point to keep an eye on the QBs.  It's puzzling that the coaches see something in BAllen that I don't.  The INT he threw was right in front of me.  Very bad decision on his part.  Threw it into coverage.

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 06:27:50 pm
How would you know if Rafe has it since they are wearing the green jerseys? Have you coached QBs at the NCS level? How about community college level? You must have to make a judgment like that. Otherwise it would be foolish on your part to do so.  ;)
Thought I'd see a reply from you

lumphog

DoubleReedHawgCaller

From the stats, it looks like Tevin Beanum had a fairly good scrimmage.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

HometownHawg

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 05, 2014, 07:51:39 pm
That's what I didn't understand.  He did not look like a RS Junior SEC QB.  When pressure came he was frantic.  I was at the practice and made it a point to keep an eye on the QBs.  It's puzzling that the coaches see something in BAllen that I don't.  The INT he threw was right in front of me.  Very bad decision on his part.  Threw it into coverage.
You sound like you are basing your eval of Brandon on last year too much.
He didn't look as bad as you are saying. He made some good throws. I am almost positive that Henry's touchdown was from Brandon, he made a near perfect throw from the pocket with pressure. And Henry's catch was pretty darn good as well.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: HometownHawg on April 05, 2014, 08:18:48 pm
You sound like you are basing your eval of Brandon on last year too much.
He didn't look as bad as you are saying. He made some good throws. I am almost positive that Henry's touchdown was from Brandon, he made a near perfect throw from the pocket with pressure. And Henry's catch was pretty darn good as well.

I remember ba did great at practices and scrimmages last year.

secneahog

Passing D still very weak. BA went 17-20 for 250, but showed how weak the D played often times receivers were wide open.

Also, Peavey needs to play. BA looks scared to death in the pocket compared to RP. You can't teach composure. RP has it.

Passing D looked weak?...you know the qbs couldn't get tackled??.

When a qb gets knocked around it will affect him. From what I've heard our defense in coverage looked good. That the wrs had to make tough catches and got hit after the catch.  I'll take that this early on in spring. 

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Razorfox

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on April 05, 2014, 08:27:22 pm
I remember ba did great at practices and scrimmages last year.

Maybe. But if so, what would make you feel better, that he stop looking good in practice instead? 

Mike Irwin

It's puzzling that I didn't see what you saw. Maybe the coaches didn't see it either.

All of the QBs were forced to scramble some because the defense that you saw as weak had 11 QB sacks for 70 yards in losses.

But Bielema specifically said afterward that Allen did a good job of moving up into the pocket under pressure.

Here's Allen's numbers : 17-for-20, 247 yards,  1TD, 1 INT, 85% completed, 12.35 yards per completed pass.

It's really hard for me to look at those numbers, recall what I saw today and conclude that the kid was frantic under pressure. If he was I'll take some more frantic.

Hawgon

Here is the problem I have.  Derby is a senior this year...or junior?  It really doesn't matter which.  He is an upper classman and he will, barring injury, never be the starting QB.  I think everyone, including the coaches would acknowledge that. 

The coach says that AA is catching Derby.  AA is a QB we have hopes of being a starter someday.  He might be the most talented QB on the team.  And the same can probably be said of Rafe.

So, what in the blue blazes is Derby doing out there getting valuable reps that could be going to these kids?  DERBY IS NOT A QB!!!  Although I would have pulled the redshirt off of AA last year, I understand the argument of why it wasn't done.  But what is the justification now?  AA with reps WILL be better than Derby and the same is true of Rafe.  GET THEM READY!!!  STOP WASTING TIME WITH YOUR BUDDY'S KID AND GET OUR REAL QBs READY!!!

Danny J

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 09:01:39 pm
Here is the problem I have.  Derby is a senior this year...or junior?  It really doesn't matter which.  He is an upper classman and he will, barring injury, never be the starting QB.  I think everyone, including the coaches would acknowledge that. 

The coach says that AA is catching Derby.  AA is a QB we have hopes of being a starter someday.  He might be the most talented QB on the team.  And the same can probably be said of Rafe.

So, what in the blue blazes is Derby doing out there getting valuable reps that could be going to these kids?  DERBY IS NOT A QB!!!  Although I would have pulled the redshirt off of AA last year, I understand the argument of why it wasn't done.  But what is the justification now?  AA with reps WILL be better than Derby and the same is true of Rafe.  GET THEM READY!!!  STOP WASTING TIME WITH YOUR BUDDY'S KID AND GET OUR REAL QBs READY!!!
I agree with this ^^^^^ guy

Switchback

My take.. It's because everything is based off of competition, and the best man wins.  It's demoralizing and sets a horrible example to the other players if they don't feel like they control their own destiny.  AA, or whomever needs to take it from him on merit.

Kenny Hawgins

Reps are given for this year based off of current performance.  This isn't xbox.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hawgon

Quote from: Switchback on April 05, 2014, 09:25:18 pm
My take.. It's because everything is based off of competition, and the best man wins.  It's demoralizing and sets a horrible example to the other players if they don't feel like they control their own destiny.  AA, or whomever needs to take it from him on merit.

How many reps do the third team and fourth team QBs get?  Not many and mostly with the scrubs.  They aren't going to look better than Derby until they start getting the same amount or more reps with the better players.

Quit playing your buddy's kid at a position for which he is completely unsuited.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 05, 2014, 08:49:42 pm

It's puzzling that I didn't see what you saw. Maybe the coaches didn't see it either.

All of the QBs were forced to scramble some because the defense that you saw as weak had 11 QB sacks for 70 yards in losses.

But Bielema specifically said afterward that Allen did a good job of moving up into the pocket under pressure.

Here's Allen's numbers : 17-for-20, 247 yards,  1TD, 1 INT, 85% completed, 12.35 yards per completed pass.

It's really hard for me to look at those numbers, recall what I saw today and conclude that the kid was frantic under pressure. If he was I'll take some more frantic.

But Mike - what the heck do you and the coaches know? This is probably your first time to see a football scrimmage - right?  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

OTTER

What?  Really--or just your wishful thinking?  I saw nothing of what you described. Furthermore, after reviewing the stats above, I believe there seems to be a wee bit of an agenda in your version of the scrimmage.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Prestworthy

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 09:34:22 pm
But Mike - what the heck do you and the coaches know? This is probably your first time to see a football scrimmage - right?  ;D
Let me be frank: BA is not an SEC qb. I predict him to play all season long and be in the bottom 4 qb's in the SEC in efficiency and production.

My opinion? Give Rafe the reps. He won't be all-sec, but he'll learn and grow into the QB we need. He showed it in high school, in the AA GAME, and today.

Switchback

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 09:33:33 pm
How many reps do the third team and fourth team QBs get?  Not many and mostly with the scrubs.  They aren't going to look better than Derby until they start getting the same amount or more reps with the better players.

Quit playing your buddy's kid at a position for which he is completely unsuited.

CBB said today in his press conference that one of his 5 tenants for the upcoming year was that every player had to earn everything.  If you don't think he meant that, there is no point of discussing it with you.  I take him at face value.

Prestworthy

Quote from: OTTER on April 05, 2014, 09:51:58 pm
What?  Really--or just your wishful thinking?  I saw nothing of what you described. Furthermore, after reviewing the stats above, I believe there seems to be a wee bit of an agenda in your version of the scrimmage.
maybe I'm biased from frustration. Last year was rough

OTTER

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 05, 2014, 09:53:27 pm
Let me be frank: BA is not an SEC qb. I predict him to play all season long and be in the bottom 4 qb's in the SEC in efficiency and production.

My opinion? Give Rafe the reps. He won't be all-sec, but he'll learn and grow into the QB we need. He showed it in high school, in the AA GAME, and today.
And, you are an expert in what way? 
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Hawgon

Quote from: Switchback on April 05, 2014, 09:53:52 pm
CBB said today in his press conference that one of his 5 tenants for the upcoming year was that every player had to earn everything.  If you don't think he meant that, there is no point of discussing it with you.  I take him at face value.

If you believe Derby is capable of "earning" anything other than holding a clipboard, then there is no point of discussing football with you.

OTTER

Quote from: Prestworthy on April 05, 2014, 09:56:31 pm
maybe I'm biased from frustration. Last year was rough
You are right, last year was tough--made me sick too.  I'm just not ready to say he's not going to be much better this year.  I believe, if he stays healthy, he will be a pleasant surprise.  I think we both experienced way too many frustrations last year.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 09:58:50 pm
If you believe Derby is capable of "earning" anything other than holding a clipboard, then there is no point of discussing football with you.
Apparently, he has earned more than AA.  The conspiracies are getting silly.

ricepig

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 05, 2014, 10:03:36 pm

Yep, obviously the head coach would much rather play his friend's son, than win, can't you see?

Hawgon

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 05, 2014, 10:03:36 pm

What conspiracy?  There is only one man responsible.  Hence, no conspiracy.

Switchback

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 09:58:50 pm

So, according to you, every player that didn't meet expectation and was overwhelmed last year, should stop competing and let freshman beat them out based off of their high school performance?  Makes good sense to me.

Hawgon

Quote from: Switchback on April 05, 2014, 10:09:36 pm
So, according to you, every player that didn't meet expectation and was overwhelmed last year, should stop competing and let freshman beat them out based off of their high school performance?  Makes good sense to me.

Derby is not a QB.  End of story. 

grayhawg

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 10:06:22 pm
What conspiracy?  There is only one man responsible.  Hence, no conspiracy.
I guess we're reduced to debating definitions of verbs. 

Quotecon·spire  audio  (kn-spr) KEY

VERB:
con·spired, con·spir·ing, con·spires
VERB:
intr.
To plan together secretly to commit an illegal or wrongful act or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.
To join or act together; combine: "Semisweet chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, Cognac, and vanilla all conspire to intensify [the cake's] flavor" (Sally Schneider).
VERB:
tr.
To plan or plot secretly.

JIHawg

I agree with you on some things but you have mentioned twice in this thread and in other threads that Bielema plays a player as a favor to his father.  What proof do you have of this?  Does Bielema have a history of this?  Examples at Wisconsin?  To me Bielema who admittedly is not perfect does not seem like the kind of guy who would risk his job or performance just to do a favor for a friend.  Please present what proof you have of him doing this.  You're beating this horse a lot.

Mike Irwin

I seriously doubt that Austin Allen is going to be hurt by the reps Derby is getting right now. The kid is in the mix. That's what some of you guys wanted. I thought he looked good today. But there's nothing wrong with bringing him along slower than maybe you would like. Keep in mind that there's another scrimmage and a spring game ahead plus next August (which is WAY more important).

If he ends up as the backup QB he's got plenty of time to get ready.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 05, 2014, 04:24:59 pm
I was not there, but Here is what i am getting out of all of this today and since the spring started.  Brandon Allen is going to be the QB again this year. AJ Derby is really in the mix again to be the number 2 QB. A. Allen seems to be the only other choice. looks like my man Rafe Peevey and D. Mitchell are out of the picture all together this year. so there is no need in me crying about it. but i must say this. i am shocked that AJ Derby is still in the mix at QB period.i never would have dreamed he would be in the mix and Rafe out of it.WOW just WOW. all i can do as a fan is sit back and let it play out. and hope this is not a case of coach B being dug in and trying to prove his QB decisions last year were right.(not saying he is)just going to hope for the best.

Hmmm. Same way I feel about Mike Anderson but I'm a Hater because of it.

root_hawg

Remember all u guys bashing BA and screaming for Rafe, didn't BA look good in HS and didn't he start in the AA game as well.  Also didn't Clint S complete less than 50% of his passes his sophomore year as well.

Hawgon

Quote from: JIHawg on April 05, 2014, 10:28:04 pm
I agree with you on some things but you have mentioned twice in this thread and in other threads that Bielema plays a player as a favor to his father.  What proof do you have of this?  Does Bielema have a history of this?  Examples at Wisconsin?  To me Bielema who admittedly is not perfect does not seem like the kind of guy who would risk his job or performance just to do a favor for a friend.  Please present what proof you have of him doing this.  You're beating this horse a lot.

I didn't say he was playing the kid as a favor to his father.  I said he was playing his buddy's kid.  That is an incontrovertible fact.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 10:44:02 pm
I didn't say he was playing the kid as a favor to his father.  I said he was playing his buddy's kid.  That is an incontrovertible fact.
Do you frequently mention completely irrelevant facts in court which, for all intents and purposes, appear to be an implied accusation?

Hawgon

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on April 05, 2014, 10:48:46 pm
Do you frequently mention completely irrelevant facts in court which, for all intents and purposes, appear to be an implied accusation?

He should quit playing his buddy's kid. 

Calling All Hogs

On the bright side, playing Derby may help our WRs. If they can catch Derby passes they should be able to catch anything. :)

PygmalionEffect

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 10:44:02 pm

Yes........  you did
Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

Hawgon

Quote from: PygmalionEffect on April 05, 2014, 11:02:09 pm

Yes........  you did

No, no I didn't.  You inferred it.  Look that word up.

He needs to stop playing his buddy's kid.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Razorfox on April 05, 2014, 08:32:25 pm
Maybe. But if so, what would make you feel better, that he stop looking good in practice instead?

My point is that his good spring practice showing does not mean he'll have a good or even ok season.

I'm really pulling for rafe.

rzrbackramsfan

Uhhh good freakin point.

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: Hawgon on April 05, 2014, 10:52:29 pm
He should quit playing his buddy's kid. 
I'll take that as a 'no'.

TeedupHigh

I did not see this! RP did not have enough reps for you to make this conclusion and BA did show any fear that I saw, Com'on man!

ComeonHogs!!!

Geez guys if derby is as bad as you guys are making out then AA and Rafe WILL blow by him. But lets make them earn it! just putting them in front of a senior because they look good in high school is Stupid. But if they work hard over the next 2 weeks and Take it from Derby they will be much better prepared to compete in the SEC.. Just Relax a little
State Pride!!!

PorkRyan

I have been a big basher of a Derby, but he played well today. His spirals were much tighter and he was much more accurate than last year. Today he was a lot better than Austin. 

Also, the pass defense was very good. Most of the passes were closely defended. The WRs did a great job catching the ball in traffic

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: OTTER on April 05, 2014, 09:58:42 pm
And, you are an expert in what way?
The stats back him up.  Ba was one of the ten worse qbs in qbr for all of college football and had great camps.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: ComeonHogs!!! on April 05, 2014, 11:38:27 pm

Geez guys if derby is as bad as you guys are making out then AA and Rafe WILL blow by him. But lets make them earn it! just putting them in front of a senior because they look good in high school is Stupid. But if they work hard over the next 2 weeks and Take it from Derby they will be much better prepared to compete in the SEC.. Just Relax a little

Right right, hawgon wasn't saying they shouldn't have to earn it, he was saying what's with giving him all those reps and only 3 to rafe and 10 to aa.  Well not reps, throws.  Idk how many reps they had.