Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better team: 2003 LR Central or 2005 Springdale

Started by Sweet Feet, April 04, 2014, 07:10:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

April 07, 2014, 09:10:23 pm #50 Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:19:38 pm by Mike Irwin
Quote from: hvsupastar on April 07, 2014, 08:49:44 pm
Mike Irwin seems to be taking this personal.

I don't think it's a matter of saying Springdale was finesse, just more of the fact they couldn't match physicality in the trenches and win that ball game.
No it's not personal. It's just clear to me that a bunch of you are using the same invalid argument, that Springdale 05 mainly won because of Malzahn's system. You either didn't watch that team or you're making stuff up.

Yes, LRC 04 was physical in the trenches. So was Springdale 05. On both sides of the ball.

VirginiaHog

Springdale. Not even close. They were mercy ruling most every team in the first half.

1960'sHogFan

I understand that most aren't that familiar with Evangel, but how many times has anyone given them a lesson in Offensive Football? Not many!

Evangel was pounding the largest schools in LA, and beating some of the top teams in Texas during these years.

Except for Springdale, what AR team could have handled Evangel in 04 and 05 ?

hardtimes79

The defensive team that central had that first year could've locked any offensive team up.  They were that nasty and the second year was just a notch below.  You add a punishing running game with mickey dean and i'll take them over springdale.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

BirdDawg

I live in NWA but grew up in LR. I was at the SD/Central game. There is absolutely no doubt Central was the premier team. They were an all round better team on both sides of the ball. They had the defense that did and would have given the following SD teams fits. They had the athletes that could and did match up to SD and their game plan. They would have been outmanned and outmatched the following year as well.

The sheer domination Central put on SD tells me what the real story was and would have been. SD had no answer for the Central D. I don't even feel it neccessary to discuss the grinder offense of Central. They would beat you down and let Mickey Dean run wild. They would catch you slipping and let Stewart  franks beat you deep. SD could not or would not stop that.

Clear cut......Central

hollywood hog

Unless Ditka was coaching Central, Springdale would win.  Daaaa Dogs!

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 07, 2014, 09:10:23 pm
You either didn't watch that team or you're making stuff up.

Yes, LRC 04 was physical in the trenches. So was Springdale 05. On both sides of the ball.

This^^ As one poster liked to say "Just because you wasn't born yet, doesn't mean it didn't happen!"
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

Mike Irwin

Quote from: BirdDawg on April 07, 2014, 11:47:13 pm
I live in NWA but grew up in LR. I was at the SD/Central game. There is absolutely no doubt Central was the premier team. They were an all round better team on both sides of the ball. They had the defense that did and would have given the following SD teams fits. They had the athletes that could and did match up to SD and their game plan. They would have been outmanned and outmatched the following year as well.

The sheer domination Central put on SD tells me what the real story was and would have been. SD had no answer for the Central D. I don't even feel it neccessary to discuss the grinder offense of Central. They would beat you down and let Mickey Dean run wild. They would catch you slipping and let Stewart  franks beat you deep. SD could not or would not stop that.

Clear cut......Central
Every bit of this argument is based on the 04 matchup between those teams. Springdale, a year later, was a totally different team. Better passing game, better running game and a much better defense. In particular, the offensive line that was abused by LRC was a much more disciplined unit a year later.

It's clear to me that many of you never saw Springdale in 05.

acey33

The 2005 Springdale team without a doubt...One of the best teams this state has ever had...Does anyone even remember what the halftime score was in the championship game?

DeltaBoy

Defense wins championships and the 03 Central Team was BAD to the BONE! They would have shut down Springdale for sure.  But it is all conjecture since we don't have a time machine to put the 2 teams on the Field. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 08, 2014, 09:46:50 am
Defense wins championships and the 03 Central Team was BAD to the BONE! They would have shut down Springdale for sure.  But it is all conjecture since we don't have a time machine to put the 2 teams on the Field. 

Just curious. Did you even watch the 2005 Springdale team play?

impact

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 08:00:24 am
Every bit of this argument is based on the 04 matchup between those teams. Springdale, a year later, was a totally different team. Better passing game, better running game and a much better defense. In particular, the offensive line that was abused by LRC was a much more disciplined unit a year later.

Since you are Ft. Smith/NWA biased WHOOPS.  I mean based.  Did you see any of these Central teams play?  Just because Bernie Cox's goal was to grind it out and not run up the score like St. Gus doesnt make SD the better team or Gus the better coach at that time. 

*Note I said "at that time" for all of the GUS lovers.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

yraciv

Quote from: BirdDawg on April 07, 2014, 11:47:13 pm

Clear cut......Central

You know teams grow up.  I'd hardly consider a 30-21 victory over a team who played half the game without it's D1 QB, clear cut.  If you look past the Big 5, Springdale's JR class in 05 was very good and had a handful of guys at least that ended up playing college ball, and most, minus Tejada, didn't contribute much if any in 04.   They also had two guys in that class who ended up on NFL rosters.  Springdale 05 was completely different than Springdale 04. I'd argue Central 03 was very similar to Central 04.  Maybe that 03 D was a little better with Bledsoe out there, but their 04 offense was better as well.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: impact on April 08, 2014, 12:47:39 pm
Since you are Ft. Smith/NWA biased WHOOPS.  I mean based.  Did you see any of these Central teams play?  Just because Bernie Cox's goal was to grind it out and not run up the score like St. Gus doesnt make SD the better team or Gus the better coach at that time. 

*Note I said "at that time" for all of the GUS lovers.
Yes I saw the '04 LRC team play and they were damn good.

I didn't grow up in this state and I don't play the NWA vs Central Arkansas game. I don't care where a team comes from. If they're good they're good.

The problem is many of you never saw Springdale 05. Your arguments are based on what happened in 04 which has zero to do with Springdale 05.

Killean

The thing is.. nobody outside of Springdale talks about the 2005 team as one of the all time great teams in Arkansas.  They just weren't that great.

Defense has consistently beaten teams such as that.  The 2003 Little Rock Central team had that defense and they were just plain better.  They were better than the 2004 team that beat Springdale.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Big Papa Satan

"Did you see Springdale in 05?  Did you did you DID YOU?!?!"

Many of us did.  Central in 03-04 was still a better team.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Killean on April 08, 2014, 05:33:04 pm
The thing is.. nobody outside of Springdale talks about the 2005 team as one of the all time great teams in Arkansas.  They just weren't that great.

Defense has consistently beaten teams such as that.  The 2003 Little Rock Central team had that defense and they were just plain better.  They were better than the 2004 team that beat Springdale.
Not true. Many people I've talked to outside of NWA talk about that Springdale team. Referees in particular. You know, people who actually saw them play.

I grew up in Texas. I've seen some great teams from that state. Springdale 05 ranks up there with many of them.

I judge a team on how well balanced they are. Springdale was outstanding on both sides of the ball. They could do it all on offense.

West Memphis was no pushover and that game was over by the end of the 1st quarter.

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 07:24:58 pm
Not true. Many people I've talked to outside of NWA talk about that Springdale team. Referees in particular. You know, people who actually saw them play.

I grew up in Texas. I've seen some great teams from that state. Springdale 05 ranks up there with many of them.

I judge a team on how well balanced they are. Springdale was outstanding on both sides of the ball. They could do it all on offense.

West Memphis was no pushover and that game was over by the end of the 1st quarter.

I took my daughter and a couple of her friends to see the state title game that year, mainly because I wanted to see Mustain and company to see what all the fuss was about.  Lanny Dauksch is an old friend of mine, but his West Memphis team had no chance that night....none.

PositronHog

April 08, 2014, 07:41:59 pm #68 Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 07:54:00 pm by HogFanBryan
Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 07:24:58 pm

Mike, what Texas teams did you see that you think were better than the 05 Springdale team. Also, if there were a national playoff in 05 for High School teams do you think Springdale would have won it all? Its seems if I remember correctly that Gatorade or somebody was trying to set up some type of national championship game with Springdale, why did that not happen?

BirdDawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 08:00:24 am

Let's get back to the question at hand. I hope SD was much improved in 2005 than in 2004. If not I don't think we can have an educated conversation comparing the two teams. They would have to be significantly better to hang with Central because they got dominated in 2004. As for the guy, who mentioned the score...where you at the game? If so, did you watch it? The game was over by half time. Central was on cruise control the rest of the game and Sd got a couple of late scores. Central let off the gas and called off the dogs. If not the score would have been about 42-21.

Killean

People are buying too much into the hype with Springdale and the Shiloh Christian teams.  Gus and Ronnie Floyd have an excellent grasp of PR, probably better than their grasp of football. 

That West Memphis team that Springdale beat 52-20 in the title game?

The prior year they made the title game too.  They lost 41-7 to LR Central.  They lost at the start of the year 38-0 to Lr Central in 2004 as well.

Springdale had no good competition.  That's how they were able to use their hype to cruise to such a high national ranking.

Shiloh Christian did the same thing later when they were nationally ranked in the top 25.  Don't forget that they were nationally ranked in the top 25 and being touted as one of the best teams that Arkansas has ever produced (which is a load of crap) and they got crushed 80-26.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Killean

If you're a real observer of High School Football in Arkansas you'll have figured out the basic split.

The teams from the South have the majority of the talent.

The teams from the North have the majority of the coaching.

If you get a decent to good coach on one of the Southern teams.. they're going to win titles by the bucketload.

There are also basically no large high schools (7A) south of Little Rock.  The majority are concentrated in NWA. 

Union County likely produces more quality athletes per capita than any county in the state.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: HogFanBryan on April 08, 2014, 07:41:59 pm
Mike, what Texas teams did you see that you think were better than the 05 Springdale team. Also, if there were a national playoff in 05 for High School teams do you think Springdale would have won it all? Its seems if I remember correctly that Gatorade or somebody was trying to set up some type of national championship game with Springdale, why did that not happen?
Southlake Carroll was the team Springdale was trying to play. Malzahn was all for it but they couldn't work it out. That team (No 1. nationally) might have been better than Springdale. Hard to say.

I do know that trying to use that silly game between Shiloh and Euless Trinity to suggest that top Arkansas teams cannot hang with the best from Texas is totally off the mark.

Shiloh wasn't even close to being the top team in Arkansas that year.

DOGALUM

Springdale'05 would beat LRC '03 19 times out of 20.....and would do it consistantly by 3+ TDs.   

Whoever said earlier that only people in Springdale think that is crazy.   The fact is that only people who hate Gus and/or Mitch, got their arses kicked by Springdale, or just hate NWA think that LRC '03 would stand a chance.   And to those people.....Clay Travis says thanks for taking his poll.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Killean on April 08, 2014, 09:55:45 pm
People are buying too much into the hype with Springdale and the Shiloh Christian teams.  Gus and Ronnie Floyd have an excellent grasp of PR, probably better than their grasp of football. 

That West Memphis team that Springdale beat 52-20 in the title game?

The prior year they made the title game too.  They lost 41-7 to LR Central.  They lost at the start of the year 38-0 to Lr Central in 2004 as well.
There you go again. Who cares what West Memphis did the prior year? We're not talking about the prior year. It's like some of you think because something happened it will keep happening every year.

What if I used LRC '05 as a part of this discussion?  What would be the point in that?

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 10:08:03 pm
There you go again. Who cares what West Memphis did the prior year? We're not talking about the prior year. It's like some of you think because something happened it will keep happening every year.

What if I used LRC '05 as a part of this discussion?  What would be the point in that?

Might be good for another two or three pages....

DOGALUM

^This^

The '90 Texarkana team with Mike Cherry as a Junior beat my sophomore Springdale team 30-0.  In '91....with Cherry as a senior.......and me as a junior.......we beat them forty something to 10ish.  Things change SO MUCH from year to year in high school. 

Killean

Quote from: DOGALUM on April 08, 2014, 10:07:29 pm
Springdale'05 would beat LRC '03 19 times out of 20.....and would do it consistantly by 3+ TDs.   

Whoever said earlier that only people in Springdale think that is crazy.   The fact is that only people who hate Gus and/or Mitch, got their arses kicked by Springdale, or just hate NWA think that LRC '03 would stand a chance.   And to those people.....Clay Travis says thanks for taking his poll.   

So, someone from Springdale, who played for Springdale, believes that Springdale would beat Central easily.

:)

Since you played in the era... How well do you think Springdale would have stacked up against Pine Bluff?

Either 1990 or 1993.

The main point with Springdale of 2005 is that they're a good team, a really good team.  They just aren't great, not compared with historical teams.  They couldn't control a game the way that those teams like 1993 Pine bluff or some of the historically great Arkansas high school teams did.  Springdale was by and a large a product of a hype machine and a weak schedule. 

yraciv

I can't believe the ignorance of people comparing Springdale to Shiloh.  Shiloh had something like 37 players on their roster, with 13 of those being underclassman.  Where as Springdale had something like 90 and 4 SO that didn't play.  Shiloh was forced to play their entire roster both ways, while Springdale had depth. Shiloh had 1 player over 275 pounds.  Shiloh had a tiny RB who couldn't get tough yards, and was all about the Hurry Up. Springdale had a 6'2, 200+ pound guy who could do a little of everything.  Mustain vs. Frazier, that's an easy comparison on who was better. Shiloh's only successful D1 player is an All Conference Sun Belt.  I could go on and on about how much greater that Springdale defense was, but I'll leave it at this.  I think Bentonville proved this year an Arkansas powerhouse can battle with the best of them down in Texas, and Springdale was world's better than recent Bentonville teams, as was Central.

yraciv

April 08, 2014, 10:31:31 pm #79 Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:48:08 am by yraciv
And that Evangel team they smoked had something like 5 or 6 players sign with D1 schools on the defense

DOGALUM

Quote from: Killean on April 08, 2014, 10:23:30 pm
So, someone from Springdale, who played for Springdale, believes that Springdale would beat Central easily.

:)

Since you played in the era... How well do you think Springdale would have stacked up against Pine Bluff?

Either 1990 or 1993.

The main point with Springdale of 2005 is that they're a good team, a really good team.  They just aren't great, not compared with historical teams.  They couldn't control a game the way that those teams like 1993 Pine bluff or some of the historically great Arkansas high school teams did.  Springdale was by and a large a product of a hype machine and a weak schedule.
We actually lost to Pine Bluff '92 in the semis.  We had the best RB in the state that year but lost him to injury in the first half.  It was still a one score game.  That said....they won two or three in a row and were very good.  I am from Springdale and can understand how I might not seem like an objective guy....but '91 and '92 Springdale were top 2 or 3 team in the state teams......and we weren't "gimmicky".....we were smash mouth on both sides of the ball.  '05 Springdale would have beat us by a ton. 

Killean

That Evangel team lost to Springdale 35-7

They lost to Texas High 45-10

They lost to Longview 52-14

mykidsdad

Ok. So lets compare scores between the 2 years and their opponents.

Little Rock Central:
2003 (14-0) STATE CHAMPS  (not sure if nationally ranked or not but I am sure they were)
LRC    21    West Memphis    8
LRC    10    El Dorado    0
LRC    14    Cabot    0
LRC    21    Conway    19
LRC    21    Catholic    9
LRC    24    Bryant    7
LRC    48    Parkview    27
LRC    40    North Little Rock    17
LRC    38    McClellan    0
LRC    41    Hall    8
LRC    35    Searcy    0
LRC    21    Springdale    7
LRC    26    Pine Bluff    0
LRC    28    West Memphis    17

Springdale:
14-0 (Class 5A State Champions)
7-0 (5A West Champions)
Ranked #2 in America

Evangel Christian (LA) 7, Springdale 35
Prescott 3, Springdale 46
Springdale 44, Jenks (OK) 0
Springdale 41, FS Southside 3
Fayetteville 14, Springdale 56
Russellville 21, Springdale 56
Springdale 42, Bentonville 14
Springdale 42, Van Buren 7
FS Northside 0, Springdale 52
Springdale 54, Rogers 7
Round 1- Springdale 44, Jacksonville 7
Quarterfinals- Springdale 49, Benton 0
Semifinals- Springdale 49, LR Catholic 14
State Championship- West Memphis 20, Springdale 54

Springdale played better opponents (Jenks was #4 in Ok and Springdale beat them 44-0).

Anyone that thinks Central would win is mistaken I am afraid.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: mykidsdad on April 09, 2014, 01:38:01 amAnyone that thinks Central would win is mistaken I am afraid.

Central did win in convincing fashion the year before.  Springdale, however, did not improve radically enough to defeat that defense. 

Also, you can throw out any kind of national rankings.  They are opinion only, have no basis of measurement, and are largely based on popularity and promotion, something that Springdale team has no equal in.

mykidsdad

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on April 09, 2014, 01:47:07 am
Central did win in convincing fashion the year before.  Springdale, however, did not improve radically enough to defeat that defense. 

Also, you can throw out any kind of national rankings.  They are opinion only, have no basis of measurement, and are largely based on popularity and promotion, something that Springdale team has no equal in.

I can also throw out the previous year. Who that was any good did central play? Who was the BIG out of state opponent that would allow us to rate them as they compare to other teams? No one that is who. Springdale played 2. LA state champs and the OK #4 team. They killed both teams.

yraciv

Quote from: Killean on April 08, 2014, 11:12:15 pm

Texas High that was led by Ryan Mallett, and season only ended because they matched up with undefeated Highland Park and Matt Stafford. And Longview had a little bit of talent as well, future NFL players such as Chris Ivory, Trent Williams. Texas back Vondrell McGee.  So let's just say it's safe to assume the teams that scored on them had serious talent. And Evangel had their share, let by none other than Ramon Boardway and had 5+ other guys on that defense that went D1.

Now please remind me of Central's big nonconference wins.

Wahls

Quote from: yraciv on April 09, 2014, 02:06:06 am
Texas High that was led by Ryan Mallett, and season only ended because they matched up with undefeated Highland Park and Matt Stafford. And Longview had a little bit of talent as well, future NFL players such as Chris Ivory, Trent Williams. Texas back Vondrell McGee.  So let's just say it's safe to assume the teams that scored on them had serious talent. And Evangel had their share, let by none other than Ramon Boardway and had 5+ other guys on that defense that went D1.

Now please remind me of Central's big nonconference wins.

/thread

Springdale by two TD's.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Cotton

Springdale 05 hands down.

The LR homers combined with the Gus/NWA haters are comical.

That team was the best team in Arkansas history and ranked #2 nationally (#1 in a couple). Mercy ruled every team they played after Evangel, including the state championship game.

LRC was a dang good team, Springdale was the best we've seen in Arkansas.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Dark Helmet Hog on April 08, 2014, 11:52:25 am
Just curious. Did you even watch the 2005 Springdale team play?

Game Film only

And I would love to see that 05 Bulldog team face Trinity , Lufkin or South Lake back in 03-05.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

BigD94

Most people probably never even saw both teams play in person. People are making assumptions off of who beat who and by how many. You never know what is going to happen until two teams actually meet up. I watched both teams play in person and that 03 Central team probably had the best defense I have ever seen in high school in person. I also watched the 05 Springdale team score 4 times, on like their first 7 plays in the state championship. No one will ever know what would have really happened.
WOO PIG!

Sweet Feet

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 09, 2014, 07:58:14 am

Game Film only

And I would love to see that 05 Bulldog team face Trinity , Lufkin or South Lake back in 03-05.
Oh it wouldn be pretty....

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Killean on April 08, 2014, 11:12:15 pm

Evangel where State Champs that year as they where the year before and the year after, FYI that's 3 in a row

Sweet Feet

Quote from: mykidsdad on April 09, 2014, 01:38:01 am
Ok. So lets compare scores between the 2 years and their opponents.

Little Rock Central:
2003 (14-0) STATE CHAMPS  (not sure if nationally ranked or not but I am sure they were)
LRC    21    West Memphis    8
LRC    10    El Dorado    0
LRC    14    Cabot    0
LRC    21    Conway    19
LRC    21    Catholic    9
LRC    24    Bryant    7
LRC    48    Parkview    27
LRC    40    North Little Rock    17
LRC    38    McClellan    0
LRC    41    Hall    8
LRC    35    Searcy    0
LRC    21    Springdale    7
LRC    26    Pine Bluff    0
LRC    28    West Memphis    17

Springdale:
14-0 (Class 5A State Champions)
7-0 (5A West Champions)
Ranked #2 in America

Evangel Christian (LA) 7, Springdale 35
Prescott 3, Springdale 46
Springdale 44, Jenks (OK) 0
Springdale 41, FS Southside 3
Fayetteville 14, Springdale 56
Russellville 21, Springdale 56
Springdale 42, Bentonville 14
Springdale 42, Van Buren 7
FS Northside 0, Springdale 52
Springdale 54, Rogers 7
Round 1- Springdale 44, Jacksonville 7
Quarterfinals- Springdale 49, Benton 0
Semifinals- Springdale 49, LR Catholic 14
State Championship- West Memphis 20, Springdale 54

Springdale played better opponents (Jenks was #4 in Ok and Springdale beat them 44-0).

Anyone that thinks Central would win is mistaken I am afraid.
Central didn beat anyone big, but i can promise you they were probably better than evangel and jenks in 05. I saw evangel when they played springdale. not as physical amd athletic as lrch. Jenks lost 4 games and got knocked out first round of the playoffs in 05. Thing is, springdale didn't play anyone that physical and that athletic as central in 05. Period. Like i said, if they struggled with catholics defense up to the late 2nd half only being up 21-14 before just exploding on big plays, then i guarantee you lrch wouldve had a field day. Because springdale didn see that physicality. Also some of the time, rankings don't mean a thing in high school (ask shiloh). Springdale would have lost to any top five team from texas that year.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 10:01:25 pm
Southlake Carroll was the team Springdale was trying to play. Malzahn was all for it but they couldn't work it out. That team (No 1. nationally) might have been better than Springdale. Hard to say.

I do know that trying to use that silly game between Shiloh and Euless Trinity to suggest that top Arkansas teams cannot hang with the best from Texas is totally off the mark.

Shiloh wasn't even close to being the top team in Arkansas that year.

Mike Bennie lost to Trinity this year.

SouthSide Johnny

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 09, 2014, 09:19:48 am
Central didn beat anyone big, but i can promise you they were probably better than evangel and jenks in 05. I saw evangel when they played springdale. not as physical amd athletic as lrch. Jenks lost 4 games and got knocked out first round of the playoffs in 05. Thing is, springdale didn't play anyone that physical and that athletic as central in 05. Period. Like i said, if they struggled with catholics defense up to the late 2nd half only being up 21-14 before just exploding on big plays, then i guarantee you lrch wouldve had a field day. Because springdale didn see that physicality. Also some of the time, rankings don't mean a thing in high school (ask shiloh). Springdale would have lost to any top five team from texas that year.

Jenks only lost to Springdale in the regular season that year, they also beat Union the eventual 6A State Champs, they where upset in the first round by Sapulpa. Jenks is one of the few national powerhouses year in and out in the country. They had six kids sign with Major D1 schools and six more with smaller schools that year.   Research more post less... 

acey33

I was about to ask the same thing...Central 05 vs SHS 05...lol

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Sweet Feet on April 09, 2014, 09:11:38 am
Oh it wouldn be pretty....
Pure speculation. I have known a few Arkansas HS coaches who crossed over and took jobs in Texas. Most will tell you that because of the sheer number of schools and athletes in Texas the overall quality of play is much higher than in Arkansas.

However they also will tell you that there have been some Arkansas teams over the years that woud have done well in Texas. Some of those Wilson Matthews teams in the late 50's could play with anybody. I think one of them was ranked No. 1 nationally.

Certainly LRC in 03 and 04 would have done well against the better teams in Texas. Springdale 05 would be in that group and I think some of the Bentonville and Fayetteville teams recently could hold their own in Texas.

Killean

Springdale is NOT the #1 team in Arkansas history, not by a long shot.

Do you guys realize that 4 teams from Arkansas have won the High School National Championship, including a year when it was decided ON THE FIELD.

Pine Bluff twice (1925 and 1939.. the 1939 team beat Baton Rouge 26-0 in the title game) and Little Rock Central twice, the last time in 1957.

Springdale wouldn't have beaten Pine Bluff in 1990 or 1993.  The 1993 team had a defense the likes of which is rarely seen at the high school level and the 1990 team had Basil Shabazz.

I've noticed that most of the support for Springdale is from people FROM THERE and who don't actually watch much high school football :P

yraciv

Quote from: Killean on April 09, 2014, 10:36:15 am

Do you guys realize that 4 teams from Arkansas have won the High School National Championship, including a year when it was decided ON THE FIELD.

Pine Bluff twice (1925 and 1939.. the 1939 team beat Baton Rouge 26-0 in the title game) and Little Rock Central twice, the last time in 1957.

Springdale wouldn't have beaten Pine Bluff in 1990 or 1993.  The 1993 team had a defense the likes of which is rarely seen at the high school level and the 1990 team had Basil Shabazz.

I've noticed that most of the support for Springdale is from people FROM THERE and who don't actually watch much high school football :P

Mike Irwin is from Texas.  I'm from Fort Smith.  Come to think of it, only one person in this thread I can think of is clearly a biased Red Dog alum.    I have a hard time believing any of the Central fans aren't from Central Arkansas or have some Gus Malzahn bias.  If you honestly think teams from the 1920s and 1930s, who didn't know what the forward pass was could beat Springdale or Central it's a lost cause. The statements "Not by a long shot" and "it wouldn't be close" show you have an extreme bias.  I've yet to see someone on the Springdale side say they'd "mercy rule" them, which considering they did that to everybody seems more likely than a Central pounding.

Here is a great article on the best teams in Arkansas history. http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article/10306/the-greatest-high-school-teams-of-the-past-50-years?page=all
I'd throw that Pine Bluff team in the conversation as well, they did have the best player, but both teams rarely, if ever, had to deal with a passing attack like Springdale.  Springdale dealt with it all, played real competition, and destroyed every last one of them.  Interesting tidbit from the article, Central didn't play anyone higher than a 3 seed in the playoffs.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Killean on April 09, 2014, 10:36:15 am

The 1990 PB didn't go undefeated.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.