Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Better team: 2003 LR Central or 2005 Springdale

Started by Sweet Feet, April 04, 2014, 07:10:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CapitalCityHawg

A year makes a big difference in high school, but Central physically dominated Springdale in 2004.  I was there and it was shocking.  Given the result of that game, I'd have a hard time picking against Central.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: SSJ on April 09, 2014, 09:50:42 am
Jenks only lost to Springdale in the regular season that year, they also beat Union the eventual 6A State Champs, they where upset in the first round by Sapulpa. Jenks is one of the few national powerhouses year in and out in the country. They had six kids sign with Major D1 schools and six more with smaller schools that year.   Research more post less...
i mixed jenks losses with evangel. My fault

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 10:31:12 am
Pure speculation. I have known a few Arkansas HS coaches who crossed over and took jobs in Texas. Most will tell you that because of the sheer number of schools and athletes in Texas the overall quality of play is much higher than in Arkansas.

However they also will tell you that there have been some Arkansas teams over the years that woud have done well in Texas. Some of those Wilson Matthews teams in the late 50's could play with anybody. I think one of them was ranked No. 1 nationally.

Certainly LRC in 03 and 04 would have done well against the better teams in Texas. Springdale 05 would be in that group and I think some of the Bentonville and Fayetteville teams recently could hold their own in Texas.

Thats why i said it wouldn be pretty lol. Texas hs football is on a whole different level than arkansas. Lufkin, southlake carroll, longview etc would probably beat springdale down. Theres years where texas teams will embarrass arkansas teams (see marshall vs fayetteville in the early 2000s) but theres some years that the arkansas teams will hang in there with the texas teams like Bentonville.

impact

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 10:08:03 pm
There you go again. Who cares what West Memphis did the prior year? We're not talking about the prior year. It's like some of you think because something happened it will keep happening every year.

What if I used LRC '05 as a part of this discussion?  What would be the point in that?

The point is that grind it out LR Central scored 41 and 38 points on West Memphis.  Many of you all are acting like 52-20 for Springdale is a much better accomplishment with its flash card offense.  Scheme played a bigger part in their success than talent. 

How about the FACT that Central's defense allowed 7 points in both games against WM.

Central's defense was tough.

Antwain Robinson, before he got in Petrino's doghouse, was an All-SEC selection.  He returned interceptions for a touchdown against Florida and Miss St. as well as fumble recovery for touchdown.

Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Killean on April 09, 2014, 10:36:15 am
Springdale is NOT the #1 team in Arkansas history, not by a long shot.

Do you guys realize that 4 teams from Arkansas have won the High School National Championship, including a year when it was decided ON THE FIELD.

Pine Bluff twice (1925 and 1939.. the 1939 team beat Baton Rouge 26-0 in the title game) and Little Rock Central twice, the last time in 1957.

Springdale wouldn't have beaten Pine Bluff in 1990 or 1993.  The 1993 team had a defense the likes of which is rarely seen at the high school level and the 1990 team had Basil Shabazz.

I've noticed that most of the support for Springdale is from people FROM THERE and who don't actually watch much high school football :P

Springdale won the state championship in in 1989. They destroyed Pine Bluff at home that year. Guess who the starting RB for the Zebras was? The mighty Basil Shabazz. Springdale was known for its defense year in and year out in the 80's. In 1987 they destroyed #3 ranked KC Rockhurst at home 27-13. Rockhurst had a RB named Kenyon Rasheed (played at OU and NY Giants) who was held to less than 100 yards for the only time all season.

Of coarse all this has nothing to do with the 2005 team. Except this. The 2005 team played defense like Springdale of old.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 10:01:25 pm
Southlake Carroll was the team Springdale was trying to play. Malzahn was all for it but they couldn't work it out. That team (No 1. nationally) might have been better than Springdale. Hard to say.

I do know that trying to use that silly game between Shiloh and Euless Trinity to suggest that top Arkansas teams cannot hang with the best from Texas is totally off the mark.

Shiloh wasn't even close to being the top team in Arkansas that year.

Shiloh wasn't close to being the best team in Springdale either, or even second best.

DOGALUM

Quote from: Killean on April 09, 2014, 10:36:15 am
Springdale is NOT the #1 team in Arkansas history, not by a long shot.

Do you guys realize that 4 teams from Arkansas have won the High School National Championship, including a year when it was decided ON THE FIELD.

Pine Bluff twice (1925 and 1939.. the 1939 team beat Baton Rouge 26-0 in the title game) and Little Rock Central twice, the last time in 1957.

Springdale wouldn't have beaten Pine Bluff in 1990 or 1993.  The 1993 team had a defense the likes of which is rarely seen at the high school level and the 1990 team had Basil Shabazz.

I've noticed that most of the support for Springdale is from people FROM THERE and who don't actually watch much high school football :P

Dude.....speaking of not knowing football.   The 90 Pine Bluff team?  They don't even belong in the discussion.   Shabazz or not.   A Springdale team that went 5-5-1 that year played them within a touchdown AT PINE BLUFF!
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: impact on April 09, 2014, 04:43:12 pm
Many of you all are acting like 52-20 for Springdale is a much better accomplishment with its flash card offense.  Scheme played a bigger part in their success than talent. 

Springdale 05 was loaded with players who signed D-1 scholarships with major conference schools. The 04 and 03 Springdale teams ran the same schemes with far less success. The difference was talent (that had developed and matured over the previous two seasons).

To argue otherwise is to reveal that you really don't know much about that team.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 05:55:32 pm
Springdale 05 was loaded with players who signed D-1 scholarships with major conference schools. The 04 and 03 Springdale teams ran the same schemes with far less success. The difference was talent (that had developed and matured over the previous two seasons).

To argue otherwise is to reveal that you really don't know much about that team.

For not having a dog in the fight you certainly act like you have a dog in the fight.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

impact

Its about toughness.  LR Central had plenty of it.  I dont believe that 2005 Springdale was more mentally tough. 

I bet none of those Tiger players would have allowed themselves to be part of a code red or need for their parents to meet with the coaches about special sized shoes, supposed academic issues or was it to complain about Nutt???

I believe that they were Arkansas' best ever schemed team, with side line flash cards and prima donnas to boot.

Damien, Mitch, Ben are former Hogs.  Central also had some players on Div I programs.  Bledsoe, Antwain, Fairchild, Irwin are former Hogs as well.

Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

Mike Irwin

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on April 09, 2014, 07:11:06 pm
For not having a dog in the fight you certainly act like you have a dog in the fight.
Why? Because I defend a position?

I live in Fayetteville. My kids graduated from FHS, Springdale's top rival in those days. I have covered Arkansas HS football since 1975. Seen lots of good Central Arkansas teams come into NWA. Seen some HS games in Quigley.

The best team I've ever seen during that time was SHS 05. It's an honest opinion and has nothing to do with any loyalty to SHS (which I don't have).

It seems like that opinion bothers you though.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: impact on April 09, 2014, 07:22:17 pm
Its about toughness.  LR Central had plenty of it.  I dont believe that 2005 Springdale was more mentally tough. 

I bet none of those Tiger players would have allowed themselves to be part of a code red or need for their parents to meet with the coaches about special sized shoes, supposed academic issues or was it to complain about Nutt???

I believe that they were Arkansas' best ever schemed team, with side line flash cards and prima donnas to boot.

Damien, Mitch, Ben are former Hogs.  Central also had some players on Div I programs.  Bledsoe, Antwain, Fairchild, Irwin are former Hogs as well.

Selfish Mitch and his mean ole mamma. That's a solid argument for why LRC 04 was better than SHS 05.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 07:33:27 pm
Selfish Mitch and his mean ole mamma. That's a solid argument for why LRC 04 was better than SHS 05.

And there's the dog in the fight. Always about MM and his mom.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: XxALLEYxX on April 09, 2014, 07:43:46 pm
And there's the dog in the fight. Always about MM and his mom.

Its not Mike that brought it up, and they never have the facts correct. It's sad really.

hardtimes79

The first central team was better so i don't know why people keep using the second one.  That was probably the nastiest defense the state has ever seen.  Springdale killed people because they didn't have the athletes to matchup but central had every bit of the athlete to do it.
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

yraciv

Quote from: hardtimes79 on April 09, 2014, 08:52:44 pm
The first central team was better so i don't know why people keep using the second one.  That was probably the nastiest defense the state has ever seen.  Springdale killed people because they didn't have the athletes to matchup but central had every bit of the athlete to do it.

Nastiest defense ever, huh?  I've ran the numbers, Springdale allowed 8.36 pts/game, while LR Central allowed 8 pts/game.  Which team was involved in more Mercy Rule's resulting in late mopup touchdowns?  Which offense do you think scored quicker so alas TOP on the field for the defense was probably a tad higher? And finally, which team had the tougher competition?  You sure you don't want to rethink this?

BirdDawg

Quote from: impact on April 09, 2014, 07:22:17 pm

Don't forget Kevin Thorton for Central. I think he may have been the best high school player on that team. He never could put it together for the Hogs. I thought he had major league talent....sad he never excelled.

hardtimes79

Quote from: yraciv on April 09, 2014, 09:08:58 pm
Nastiest defense ever, huh?  I've ran the numbers, Springdale allowed 8.36 pts/game, while LR Central allowed 8 pts/game.  Which team was involved in more Mercy Rule's resulting in late mopup touchdowns?  Which offense do you think scored quicker so alas TOP on the field for the defense was probably a tad higher? And finally, which team had the tougher competition?  You sure you don't want to rethink this?
Better comp is debatable.  I along with others think that 7a was down the year springdale ran those numbers.  This is all opinion, but i think robinson, bledsoe, fairchild and company were a better defense.... 
The easiest way to save face is to keep the lower half shut.

impact

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 09, 2014, 07:33:27 pm

I never called Mitch selfish and never said anything negative about his mother.

I was talking about Central being mentally tougher than SD and gave examples of a code red situation after the 2005 season and other drama filled issues that occurred AFTER the 2005 season that you claim was their mental toughness debut.

I stand by the HUNH and side line flash cards taking high school by storm back then and college now but just like the wishbone, Fun and gun, etc mentally tough defenses will catch up and beat them.

It was the scheme.  If Gus had that Central team you would have really seen something.

yraciv

Quote from: hardtimes79 on April 09, 2014, 11:49:43 pm
Better comp is debatable.  I along with others think that 7a was down the year springdale ran those numbers.  This is all opinion, but i think robinson, bledsoe, fairchild and company were a better defense.... 

Well since you keep wanting to go there.  I'll run more numbers that disprove you. Here were Central's  non conference opponents.  And again they didn't beat anyone higher than a 3 seed in the playoffs.
West Memphis    9-5
El Dorado 3-7
Cabot 8-3
Ovr. 20-15 - Solely games against AR opponents.

Now for Springdale.
Evangel 12-3 State Champs
Prescott 1-9 "I'll admit they are worse then anyone Central played"
Jenks - 9-2 "one win was over the OK state champs"
Ovr. 23-14

Now for the state of the conferences, the only bad team Springdale played was Van Buren who went 1-9, yet still beat up on traditional Central cellar dweller McClellan.  Every other team in the conference was competitive and had at least 4 total wins.  The league was so competitive actually, that the 2006 champs Rogers  could only muster a 3-4 conference record, since I know we're big on comparing teams to their last year. Other quality wins from the West in nonconference, Bentonville over state champs Greenwood, Rogers tied TN state runnerup Memphis Ridgeway,  Fayetteville pounded Catholic 42-8.

Now it isn't as easy to look up 03 results, but I do know Hall went 0-10, North Little Rock 2-8, Parkview went 3-7. Heck the only good team I could pickup on that schedule was a Conway team that lost two games, and they only lost to Central by 2. Same Conway team that allowed 34 to an 0-10 Pointer team.

Mike Irwin

April 10, 2014, 07:35:38 am #120 Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 08:39:45 am by Mike Irwin
Quote from: impact on April 10, 2014, 12:14:56 am
I never called Mitch selfish and never said anything negative about his mother.

I was talking about Central being mentally tougher than SD and gave examples of a code red situation after the 2005 season and other drama filled issues that occurred AFTER the 2005 season that you claim was their mental toughness debut.

I stand by the HUNH and side line flash cards taking high school by storm back then and college now but just like the wishbone, Fun and gun, etc mentally tough defenses will catch up and beat them.

It was the scheme.  If Gus had that Central team you would have really seen something.

You brought that stuff into the conversation. Nobody else had mentioned it. You can dance around it all you want. It's obvious what you meant.

Because of a bunch of ridiculous rumors started by Nutt and his brother you've concluded that Springdale was too soft to hang with LRC. That they were one dimensional team that was a product of Gus Malzahn's "flash cards" and not much else.

Some very good points have been made in this thread by those defending the LRC part of this debate. This was not one of them.

Peter Porker

Quote from: hardtimes79 on April 09, 2014, 11:49:43 pm

2005 certainly was a down year for talent in the state.

acey33

April 11, 2014, 09:10:26 am #122 Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 09:39:51 am by acey33
The Greatest High School Teams of the Past 50 Years

by Leland Barclay  on Monday, Sep. 3, 2007 12:00 am 

This story is from the archives of ArkansasSports360.com.

Cars were stacked along Markham Street in Little Rock, and fans were piling into War Memorial Stadium to get a final glimpse of one of the greatest teams in Arkansas high school football history.

Even before they were all seated, Springdale scored three touchdowns in the opening six minutes of what turned out to be another easy win for the Bulldogs.

Springdale rolled on to a 54-20 win over West Memphis in the 2005 Class 5A state championship game to culminate a 14-0 season that was as dominating as it was predictable.

In addition to winning the state title, Springdale also finished No. 2 nationally in the Student Sports Magazine ranking behind Southlake, Texas, Carroll. The Bulldogs were No. 4 in the nation in the final USA Today newspaper ranking. Even discussions for a postseason mythical national championship game between Springdale and Lakeland, Fla., which was No. 1 in the final USA Today ranking, surfaced.

So went the 2005 season in Arkansas. Talk of greatness surrounded the Bulldogs everywhere they went, as did talk of where that Springdale team stacked up against the great teams of the past.

The last national championship high school football team from Arkansas, mythically speaking, of course, was Wilson Matthews' final Little Rock Central team in 1957. It was a time in not only the state's history but the nation's history as well when all eyes were on Central High and how it handled the social dilemma called desegregation.

With that team as a starting point, these are the top 10 teams to grace the high school fields across Arkansas during the past half-century. The list is in reverse chronological order. It's up to much debate what team should be No. 2 behind the Bulldogs of 2005.

SPRINGDALE 2005
Head coach: Gus Malzahn; Record: 14-0

Any talk of greatness to anyone under the age of 50 must begin and end with the Bulldogs of 2005. The nicknames for the team's season were numerous, like Mustainmania, the Springdale Five, Once-In-A-Lifetime Team. Division 1-A signees Mitch Mustain, Damian Williams, Andrew Norman, Ben Cleveland and Bartley Webb were the center of attention along with Malzahn, who even literally wrote the book on the hurry-up, no-huddle offense.

The team was a statistician's dream, and the mere numbers were staggering.

Springdale mercy-ruled 12 teams, leading by 35 or more points in the second half to evoke the sportsmanship rule enacted by the Arkansas Activities Association that kept the clock running continuously in an attempt to keep down slaughters. The only teams that the Bulldogs did not mercy-rule were Shreveport Evangel in the season opener and in the state championship game against West Memphis. Against Shreveport, the Bulldogs actually led 35-0 in the fourth quarter, but Louisiana does not have a sportsmanship rule. Against West Memphis, the Bulldogs led 34-0 before missing an extra point that would have evoked it then.

Springdale scored 664 points during the season and 89 offensive touchdowns on only 630 plays.

LITTLE ROCK CENTRAL 2003
Head coach: Bernie Cox; Record: 14-0

Just win, baby. Led by a dominating defense, the Tigers won their 31st state championship but recorded the first 14-0 season in the storied history of the school's football program. It may even be argued that Central didn't beat anybody in 2003, but the Tigers beat everyone they played. Central began the season tied for ninth in the Associated Press statewide poll of sportscasters and sports writers. What do they know? Central beat preseason No. 1 Springdale in the second round of the playoffs, but by the time the regular season was over the Bulldogs were the third seed from the 5A-West. Central then beat Pine Bluff in the semifinals, but the Zebras were merely the fourth seed from the 5A-South. Even in the finals, Central was matched against a third-seeded team from the 5A-East in West Memphis. Central held 10 of 14 opponents to a touchdown or less. After the nonconference schedule, the Tigers didn't score less than three touchdowns in a game.

CABOT 2000
Head coach: Mike Malham Jr.; Record: 14-0

In an age when footballs began flying all over the ballpark on Friday nights with the hurry-up, no-huddle offenses that started taking hold, the Cabot Panthers were a throwback to yesteryear. Cabot used the Dead-T offense to roll up 3,758 yards on the ground and a perfect 14-0 slate. Perhaps the biggest accomplishment for the Y2K Panthers was a three-week winning streak against the mighty West with wins over Fort Smith Northside, Springdale and Fort Smith Southside in the final three weeks of the playoffs.

"What we did going through Northside, Springdale and Southside is bigger than win-ning the state championship," Malham said.

The championship was also retribution for the Panthers, who lost in the championship games in 1998 and 1997 by a combined 79-10 score to Little Rock Fair and Southside, respectively.

LITTLE ROCK FAIR 1998
Head coach: Glenn Eskola; Record: 14-0

Cedric Cobbs and Tye Forte led an offense that scored 475 points, which was the most for a team in the state's largest classification since Little Rock High scored 578 points in 1946. Cobbs, who went on to greatness as an Arkansas Razorback, was named a Parade All-American in leading Fair's offense that scored 40 or more points six times. One of those times was in the championship game against Cabot, winning 41-0. Fair scored on all four offensive possessions in the first half and added a defensive touchdown for a 31-0 halftime lead. Fair's title was the first for a Little Rock school since Central in 1986.

PINE BLUFF 1993
Head coach: Marion Glover; Record: 14-0

Wire to wire. In an unprecedented display of dominance, the Zebras became the first team to begin the season No. 1, stay No. 1 throughout and finish No. 1 in the Associated Press poll. Pine Bluff was No. 15 in the final USA Today newspaper ranking, the highest for an Arkansas team since the ranking debuted in 1982. Pine Bluff's defense, led by Associated Press Super Teamers Marcus Jefferson and Archie McCoy, pitched nine shutouts and allowed three other opponents just one touchdown. The offense wasn't shabby either. The Zebras scored 451 points, the most for a team playing in the state's largest classification since Little Rock High in 1946. Pine Bluff's wishbone attack chewed up 4,754 yards of real estate in methodical fashion.

acey33

Cont...

PINE BLUFF DOLLARWAY 1990
Head coach: Lee Hardman; Record: 14-0

The Cardinals led the Cotton Belt Sweep of '90 as Pine Bluff, Fordyce and Rison joined Dollarway from the Delta region of the state to win state championships. While Basil Shabazz stole the show in leading the Pine Bluff Zebras to the state title with a five-touchdown performance in the state championship game, the Dollarway Cardinals were the best team in the state in 1990. Carl Johnson, Deotis Gardner, Jessie Miller and Eric Hobbs were all named to the prestigious Associated Press Super Team. Having four players named from a team not in the state's largest classification is unheard of and speaks volumes of the respect for the Cardinals in '90. Dollarway gave up just 45 points in 14 games, recording eight shutouts and allowing no more than 12 points in any game.

"We had a lot of three-year starters that had confidence, had skill and had ability," Hardman said. "We had a combination of outstanding talent, discipline and the will to be the very best."

The senior class, which boasted 34 players on the roster, finished a three-year run that included three state titles and a 40-2 record.

LITTLE ROCK CENTRAL 1975
Head coach: Bernie Cox; Record: 12-0

One of the great Tiger teams of all time interrupted Little Rock Parkview's dynasty of the 1970s. Led by quarterback Houston Nutt and receiver Robert Farrell, Central went undefeated but not without controversy. In the second game of the year, the conference and state championship in the big-school conference was decided. In a 20-14 win, Central's win was preserved when the Zebras were stopped less than inches from the goal line as time expired. Pine Bluff had the ball first and goal from the 2 with 26 seconds left. Central claims a goal-line stand for the ages while the Zebras claims victory taken away. Pine Bluff finished with just the one loss. Central finished undefeated and was unapproachable the last eight games of the season, giving up just nine touchdowns all season.

LITTLE ROCK PARKVIEW 1974
Head coach: Sam Goodwin; Record: 11-0

Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame coach Sam Goodwin built a dynasty at Parkview in the '70s when the Patriots won three outright state titles, shared two state titles and compiled a 47-4-2 record during a six-year stretch.

"I think the thing we did better than most teams was block," Goodwin said. "We took a lot of pride in our offensive line."

The '74 team featured tight end Charles Clay, tackle Jim Kissire and guard Jerry Sullivan, all of whom went on to play for the Razorbacks, and center Brooks Hollingsworth, who was named to the Associated Press Super Team. Behind them, Parkview had tailback Gerald Jones, who rushed for 1,061 yards and 13 touchdowns, quarterback Jerry Barnett, who rushed for 1,040 yards and 14 scores, and fullback John Barron, who added 964 yards and nine touchdowns.

The '74 Patriots also were involved in one of the most anticipated games in the state's history when Parkview and Central met on a Thursday night late in the season to decide the big-school title when both were undefeated. Parkview prevailed 31-21 in a game between the Patriots' vaunted running game and Central's potent passing game.

TEXARKANA 1973
Head coach: Robert "Swede" Lee; Record: 13-0

Swede Lee returned to Texarkana and immediately led the Razorbacks out of racial difficulties and to the state championship, recording the first perfect season in Texarkana history. Ironically, Lee played for crosstown rival Texas High and played under Darrell Royal at the University of Texas. It was Lee's second coaching stint at Texarkana, returning to the school as the highest paid coach in the state at $20,000 per year. It was certainly a worthwhile investment as the Razorbacks won three straight state champion-ships and dominated the second-largest classification during that time. The '73 team was led by a quartet of Associated Press Super Teamers: Graylon Wyatt, Robert Williams, Mike Trammell and Earnest Cheatham.

FORT SMITH NORTHSIDE 1967
Head coach: Bill Stancil; Record: 12-0

The Grizzlies and Little Rock Hall duked it out for supremacy in the '60s, but the greatest of them all was the Northside team of 1967. Including the traditional season-opening game against rival Van Buren, Northside faced eight opponents that were undefeated entering its game with the Grizzlies. Maybe no greater schedule was played by a team during the past 50 years. Those were the days before the modern playoff era, but the Grizzlies still went 12-0 in a schedule that included the regular big-school diet of Hall, Central, El Dorado, Pine Bluff and North Little Rock. The Grizzlies handed Hall and Springdale their only losses of the season. In all, Northside gave up 68 points and allowed no team over 200 yards of offense.

DeltaBoy

Good Coverage and I was there for the Whole Weekend in 1990 and I was overjoyed by the Cotton Belt Sweep!

That 1990 Dollarway team would have give Springdale 05 some fits.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

SouthSide Johnny

Always wondered about the Little Rock Fair 1998 team If they had played Southside in the title game instead of Cabot. Cabot upset SS at Cabot in the semifinals that year Their revenge title game after SS wiped them in the title game the previous year. Cabot did have some great safeties that year.
Some Say it's Raining Elephants but They Go Outside Anyway..

DeltaBoy

Cal Preps is a fun place to go and see what might happen per the computer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

yraciv

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 15, 2014, 10:08:34 am
Cal Preps is a fun place to go and see what might happen per the computer.

Oh completely forgot about that site.  It came up with "neutral field"
[2005] Springdale (AR) 40, [2003] Central (Little Rock, AR) 14
[2005] Springdale (AR) 38, [2004] Central (Little Rock, AR) 21
[2005] Springdale (AR) 38, [2004] Springdale (AR) 26
[2004] Springdale (AR) 31, [2004] Central (Little Rock, AR) 26
[2004] Springdale (AR) 31, [2003] Central (Little Rock, AR) 17
[2004] Central (Little Rock, AR) 28, [2003] Central (Little Rock, AR) 20

So was 2004 Central, actually better than 2003?  I could see that argument.

DeltaBoy

I don't put a lot of faith in the site but it is tons of fun.

yraciv

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 15, 2014, 11:54:38 am
I don't put a lot of faith in the site but it is tons of fun.

Yeah, maybe if I saw box scores or understood how they crunched their numbers I'd give it a little more credit.  Sttill a fun tool and the only of its kind out there.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: yraciv on April 15, 2014, 11:59:50 am
Yeah, maybe if I saw box scores or understood how they crunched their numbers I'd give it a little more credit.  Sttill a fun tool and the only of its kind out there.

Yep I ran my 2A High School teams 2009 Team and Cal Preps says we would beat Everyone in the 6-2A and every HS in Monroe, Phillips Arkansas and Prairie Counties.

yraciv

Quote from: DeltaBoy on April 15, 2014, 12:05:11 pm
Yep I ran my 2A High School teams 2009 Team and Cal Preps says we would beat Everyone in the 6-2A and every HS in Monroe, Phillips Arkansas and Prairie Counties.

I ran my SR years squad, and it said we would lose to every team at our school since.  Probably isn't much of a stretch, but I've got to think Springdale 05 made them look worse than they really were.

DeltaBoy

Yep but Cal Preps had my Texas 2A team beating Stuttgart, Forrest City , Wynne , HA, Barton, etc.  I know we are a step up down here but I did not think the gap was that large.  So I threw in Pine Bluff and Warren and we beat them on a neutral field by 2 points.

hogfan10

Quote from: Mike Irwin on April 08, 2014, 08:00:24 am
Every bit of this argument is based on the 04 matchup between those teams. Springdale, a year later, was a totally different team. Better passing game, better running game and a much better defense. In particular, the offensive line that was abused by LRC was a much more disciplined unit a year later.

It's clear to me that many of you never saw Springdale in 05.

Much more disciplined when playing against teams not named Central! If Central clearly beat (dominated) in '04, my guess would be, that they would do the same to the '05 Springdale team comprised of basically the '04 team.

Est. 1981

All I know is that the Springdale 2005 is the BEST high school football team I have ever seen play in my life. They beat 3 nationally ranked teams (or should I say WHOOPED THEIR A$$ES) Evangel, Jenks, and West Memphis was ranked in some national polls. I was at the Jenks game and I believe it was either 35-0 or 44-0 at the half either way they shut them out. The Evangel game should've been another shut out of a nationally ranked team I think they scored with like 1 minute left in the game to make the final 35-7. And handed West Memphis their butts too. The Jenks game I believe they were ranked like 14th and we were around 16th or so and it looked like a college team whooping a high school. Springdale was just scoring at will like they did all year NO ONE even came close to slowing down their offense. I know some will say CAC did in the playoffs but they ended up blowing them up too. All I know is the head coach for Jenks whose won multiple state title and national titles said after the 44-0 loss to Springdale that in all his years as coach at Jenks(I think it was around 25 yrs then that he had never played against or coached a team better than the 2005 Springdale team. Went on to say that they were hands down the best high school team he has ever witnessed PERIOD. And why are people on here keep talking about 2004 LRC beating SHS in the playoffs the argument is 2003 LRC team vs SHS 2005 team so that fact has ZERO relevance. That is all. WPS!!
UofA Alumni 2007

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Est. 1981 on April 16, 2014, 04:41:14 pmI know some will say CAC did in the playoffs but they ended up blowing them up too.

Poor CAC, having to play in both 3A and 5A that year.