First Game vs. Auburn

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, April 04, 2014, 05:17:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

April 04, 2014, 05:17:26 pm Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:52:50 pm by Notshavin
First of all:

IMO, IMHO, JMO, JUMHO and SIAP.

This is not meant to bash or flame.

After BB's remarks in Harrison about him having the choice to schedule anyone, and that he scheduled Auburn bc "We don't like those guys":

It concerns me that he would want the first game to be Auburn on the road, because if we lose - even if it's close - they are an ranked SEC team and last season will be brought up over and over again.  It will be very difficult to get things going in the right direction after that, for so many reasons.

However, I like his attitude and fearlessness wanting to set the bar high.  If we win, we're starting off the season by beating a good SEC team, and one that was in the championship game last year(not to mention a good Gus payback).  It will create a crazy good momentum for everyone - for the players, coaches and even the fans.

BB seems to be a guy who likes a challenge and won't back down to anyone.  I love that, and I hope our players start showing that also.

However, he's going all in here needing runner runner.  The first game is so important in terms of actually seeing how your players will respond, and who deserves to start/play a lot and who doesn't.

After that game, we will either be suddenly on the rise to getting where we need to be with huge momentum, or we will have lost another SEC game and it will be a lot more difficult to have a successful season.

Having said that, I hope we go and punch them in the mouth and blow them out by 30.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

PorkRinds

I'm pretty sure that game was scheduled before Auburn was such a hot commodity. When they were coming off of a really bad season.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 05:17:26 pm
First of all:

IMO, IMHO, JMO, JUMHO and SIAP.

This is not meant to bash or flame.

After BB's remarks in Harrison about him having the choice to schedule anyone, and that he scheduled Auburn bc "We don't like those guys":

It concerns me that he would want the first game to be Auburn on the road, because if we lose - even if it's close - they are an ranked SEC team and last season will be brought up over and over again.  It will be very difficult get things going in the right direction after that, for so many reasons.

However, I like his attitude and fearlessness wanting to set the bar high.  If we win, we're starting off the season by beating a good SEC team, and one that was in the championship game last year(not to mention a good Gus payback).  It will create a crazy good momentum for everyone - for the players, coaches and even the fans.

BB seems to be a guy who likes a challenge and won't back down to anyone.  I love that, and I hope our players start showing that also.

However, he's going all in here needing runner runner.  The first game is so important in terms of actually seeing how your players will respond, and who deserves to start/play a lot and who doesn't.

After that game, we will either be suddenly on the rise to getting where we need to be with huge momentum, or we will have lost another SEC game and it will be a lot more difficult to have a successful season.

Having said that, I hope we go and punch them in the mouth and blow them out by 30.

I think the part of his thinking you didn't mention was he got a bye before Bama and LSU.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Quote from: locusbug on April 04, 2014, 05:46:45 pm
I think the part of his thinking you didn't mention was he got a bye before Bama and LSU.

Well, now that is huge.

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 04, 2014, 05:31:58 pm
I'm pretty sure that game was scheduled before Auburn was such a hot commodity. When they were coming off of a really bad season.

So you're saying he thought they would be a cupcake?
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

bphi11ips

Gotta play 'em sometime.  I'd rather get Auburn early this year.  They have to replace an 1800 yard rusher and aren't quite sure whether Brandon Allen was hurt or not last year.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 05:51:27 pm
Well, now that is huge.

I think so. Those off weeks give you time to heal and clean up any issues that showed up in the previous games. Heck we might actually hold Bama to 40 this year!  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

PorkRinds

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 05:51:27 pm
Well, now that is huge.

Not necessarily a cupcake, but probably not defending sec champions. He basically chose the worst team in the SEC from the season before. Well, besides Kentucky. I'm betting he's just using some good old fashioned bluster when he says he chose it because "we don't like those guys". Although, maybe his spat with Gus at sec media days made him want to schedule it.

Tick Hog

I'm hoping Auburn will struggle a little with tempo and timing being the first game of the season.

Quote from: tick hog on April 04, 2014, 06:59:15 pm
I'm hoping Auburn will struggle a little with tempo and timing being the first game of the season.

That's a good point.  It is also their first game, Gus' offense has to be perfectly in-sync to work well.

If our D could make 1 or 2 big plays that cause turnovers, and they score or our offensive can capitalize on that, we have a great chance.

IBleedRazorbackRed

Quote from: tick hog on April 04, 2014, 06:59:15 pm

Bingo. I'd rather get them early than late

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on April 04, 2014, 07:56:11 pm
Bingo. I'd rather get them early than late

But the 1st game isn't just "late".  I guess it would be helpful to know when they actually put together the schedule - if someone, knows bc honestly I don't

I still think our first game should not be an SEC team except for Kentucky.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 05:17:26 pm

I like his attitude and fearlessness wanting to set the bar high.  If we win, we're starting off the season by beating a good SEC team, and one that was in the championship game last year(not to mention a good Gus payback).  It will create a crazy good momentum for everyone - for the players, coaches and even the fans.

Let's go with this one.  Good job...

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 08:05:01 pm
But the 1st game isn't just "late".  I guess it would be helpful to know when they actually put together the schedule - if someone, knows bc honestly I don't

Looks like 8/21/13.

http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/246413/sec-releases-2014-conference-football-schedule.aspx

Quote from: Hoggish1 on April 04, 2014, 09:28:26 pm
Let's go with this one.  Good job...

Ok, but what if we lose?  We could have a bad game against a cupcake and still win, then be able to fix the problems we see.  I don't see Auburn allowing us any room to make mistakes.

Again, it's like going all in still needing runner-runner(Texas Hold'em Poker term), when we didn't have to.

MrThunderhog

Why play a team in the first game of the season that will almost certainly require you to play at your best to beat them and even then that doesn't necessarily mean a sure victory?

I would rather have played them in the 3rd game of the season when some of the bugs in the system should be worked out and the team has a better feel for itself. With a new defensive scheme and coordinator against an offense that is coming in seasoned after winning the SEC, it just doesn't make any sense. Win this game and you most certainly will feel like you have a chance to win the remainder of your games. Lose and you really still don't know where you stand.
What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a coupla hard, pipe-hittin' *******, who'll go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch. You hear me talkin', hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by a damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass.

Mike_e

The way things have been if we'd have played them for our third game it would have been their fourth.

At least this way we are starting off as equally as possible.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

Cotton

I just hope we get out of there with no injuries and without further destroying BA confidence level. With where he is at, we need to play 3 cupcakes to build confidence and get some positive momentum going.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 08:05:01 pm

i think new QBs factor into this a little. this will be the first time gus has had a returning starter at qb since he moved into the college ranks. it will be a close one

Steef

Quote from: Cotton on April 05, 2014, 06:11:17 am
I just hope we get out of there with no injuries and without further destroying BA confidence level. With where he is at, we need to play 3 cupcakes to build confidence and get some positive momentum going.

I understand the logic of that concept. But historically, it hasn't helped. And we seem to be the only ones who want to do that, year in and year out.

Other teams seem to be able to get ready before the first game. Maybe it's time we tried to, too.

Cotton

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2014, 06:19:22 am
I understand the logic of that concept. But historically, it hasn't helped. And we seem to be the only ones who want to do that, year in and year out.

Other teams seem to be able to get ready before the first game. Maybe it's time we tried to, too.
Well let me backtrack a second, I don't like the 4 cupcakes and then conference set up. Most years I would love to play this game. Just the current state of the program makes me think this isn't the best way to start the year, especially against a team like Auburn.

Any other year, give me the big showdown in week 1 or 2!
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Steef

Quote from: Cotton on April 05, 2014, 06:32:22 am
Well let me backtrack a second, I don't like the 4 cupcakes and then conference set up. Most years I would love to play this game. Just the current state of the program makes me think this isn't the best way to start the year, especially against a team like Auburn.

Any other year, give me the big showdown in week 1 or 2!

Yeah, gotta admit. There is more angst than usual with Auburn.

Any way you cut it, playing SEC west these days, is just brutal. At least this year, it's got some breaks in the load.

Don't know if we can beat Auburn or not. But we'll give em a fight. I believe that.

That's really what it will be. A choreographed fight.

Go Hogs!

ChitownHawg

The one potential positive is Auburn's defense was not that good last year, so let's hope that doesn't change. And for our defense they just need to play better. It was embarrassing to watch Gus call the same offensive play over and over - and we could not stop them.

If the defense can play just a bit better, then run the heck out of our backs to control the clock. Probably throw quick passes to Hunter or the backs out in the flat. This could keep the pressure off BA.

Definitely the ball will have to bounce perfectly for us to get this road win. You never know.

Mike_e

If we hold up our part, this might be the rivalry game that everyone seems to want.
Y'all don't straighten up and raise some hell OTR and Rev are goin to put a saddle on Darrel Royal's floating fulminatin head and ride you down!

root_hawg

Auburn won't consider it a rival game, that will always be Bama

oldbear

You guys remember a little team by the name of Boise State? They made their name by playing very tough teams in the first game of the season and then in whatever big bowl they made because everything in between was cupcake. Now we don't have the soft center scheduoe they had, but assuming Auburn is going to be really good this year,  history would say you want them first.

Steef

Quote from: root_hawg on April 05, 2014, 07:36:49 am
Auburn won't consider it a rival game, that will always be Bama

That will always be true for Auburn. But while Gus is there, we will be on his radar. Which makes us a second rival for them.

But this rivalry is only good for as long as that. Just like the rivalry we had with OM, while HDN was there.

We don't have a permanent, institutional rival since we came to the SEC. For us, it was Texas.

We do have some goals, though. We need to beat Nick. We need to beat the Gators. We need pay Spurrier back. We need to beat Mizzoo (remember the Cotton Bowl? I do).

We need to win a conference championship.

We need to win a Sugar Bowl, much less a Crystal game.

Plenty of good goals that don't require rivalries. Until we do some of these things, we are not the legacy team we used to be. When we do them, the rivals will come to us.

immahog

I dnt like Gus but he is a hell of a coach... you had better beat him early b/c you will have hell trying to beat him late in the season
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

secneahog

I do know this....Auburn barely beat Washington state last year in game 1 at home.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

razorsharptusk

I like that we play Auburn right off the bat. It sounds crazy, but I'm ready to find out where we are starting from and the hunger/drive this team has.  Will we look different?  Will the new coaches have us motivated and able to play faster with more understanding?  Will we have improved on where we left off at LSU last year?  I do think we can obviously get better as the year goes on, but, sometimes, it's better to catch teams early than late as well.  I think we will be going into that first game healthy, with a chip on our shoulder and ready to set the world on fire. 
GO HOGS!!

Wildhog

Not saying we'll beat 'em (by a long shot), but we couldn't get 'em at a better time.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JansterZ71

Quote from: Mike_e on April 05, 2014, 07:28:49 am
If we hold up our part, this might be the rivalry game that everyone seems to want.
For Ahbun their rivalries will be ...
1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Tennessee
4.  The rest of the SEC west
Arkansas will never crack the top 2 for sure.  Probably never crack the top 3 for them
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Steef

Quote from: JansterZ71 on April 05, 2014, 01:09:55 pm
1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Tennessee
Arkansas will never crack the top 2 for sure.  Probably never crack the top 3 for them

Not from a strategic POV. But we will always be a target for Gus.

Mike_e

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Tennessee

Look at the date.

No, we'll never crack their top three -in the mid to late season.

Playing them in the first game of the season for a few years and the winner being right in the hunt for the SECW championship, that first game could be huge.

And whenever a football game becomes huge is when TV jumps all over it and starts advertizing it.

And once TV says it's a rivalry, it's a rivalry, didn't you know?

Hollywood_HOGan45

Not a fan of BB.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GO WIN A GAME!

MuskogeeHogFan

1. Bama
2. Georgia
3. Tennessee

Why do you think that Bielema said, "we don't like those guys" (meaning Auburn)? My theory is that he isn't oblivious to Malzahn's Arkansas connection and he knows that because of that, this could turn out to be a big game every year as long as Gus is at Auburn. He probably doesn't really dislike Gus or Auburn, that statement was likely for public consumption. He's heaping some coals on the fire given his stance this past off season with regard to promoting a change to a "10 second rule" and Gus's negative stance with regard to that same proposed rule.

Now what does that do? It certainly ramps up interest in that first game, especially for Arkansas fans and t.v. coverage, and you can be sure that ESPN will be leading into that game with a regurgitation of every statement that Bielema and Malzahn exchanged in the off season.

Now will it ever become a true rivalry game where we are each others #1 rival? I doubt it, but Bielema is doing everything he can to bring the discussion and interest in Arkansas football to the foreground.

Additionally, if he plays his cards right and can gain fan sympathy, he might be able to damage Auburn's recruiting efforts in this area by finding a way to pit Arkansas fans and recruits against Auburn, despite Gus's history here.

I'm not worried about being their true rival because of Alabama, but I could see us moving up to #2 over Tennessee or Georgia.
Go Hogs Go!

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 05, 2014, 02:16:35 pm
Not a fan of BB.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH AND GO WIN A GAME!

If you said that to his face I might respect you more. Since you are an anonymous poster on here I don't.   ;)

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 02:36:28 pm
If you said that to his face I might respect you more. Since you are an anonymous poster on here I don't.   ;)

I am not a fan of his personally but I do recognize what he is doing up front on the off line. He has and will do the job there but he does talk a ton of noise without any SEC wins.

Please go win A game.

secneahog

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 05, 2014, 02:44:23 pm
I am not a fan of his personally but I do recognize what he is doing up front on the off line. He has and will do the job there but he does talk a ton of noise without any SEC wins.

Please go win A game.

Just the offensive line? .. ha... go to sleep with that noise.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Steef

Please go win A game.

You are neglecting the very real truth that coaches are required to speak in public. He's got to say SOMETHING. And being head coach also means being head cheerleader.

Don't let it get to you. It's not affecting the team one way or another. It's not affecting his coaching.

ThreeWayInn

Underdogs have a better chance to beat a favored team the first game of the year than at any other time.

The underdog comes in with no losses...the healthiest it will be all year...and will generally play their best game.

If you think about it...the biggest difference between the top teams and the bottom or mid level teams is depth....it is not first line talent...so I agree with BB...get them early.

ChitownHawg

Please go win A game.

A game? I hoping for six.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2014, 02:57:42 pm
You are neglecting the very real truth that coaches are required to speak in public. He's got to say SOMETHING. And being head coach also means being head cheerleader.

Don't let it get to you. It's not affecting the team one way or another. It's not affecting his coaching.

Yes I do know that but he seems to love to throw out jabs. Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer did the same things but they won.
The whole thing with him and "player safety" turned me off but my opinion doesn't matter. I'm sure coach doesn't care. I'll be going to games and spending money regardless just like in the Houston Nutt days.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 05:15:10 pm
A game? I hoping for six.

Let's start with A game and then go from there. Our talent was horrible but we had our chances and blew it because of bone head coaching errors. The onside kick against Auburn and the halfback pass against Ole Miss killed us last year.

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2014, 06:45:43 am

Don't know if we can beat Auburn or not. But we'll give em a fight. I believe that.

That's really what it will be. A choreographed fight.

Go Hogs!

No offense Steef, but that is starting to sound like being content with a "Moral Victory"

marycomegetsomeham

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 05, 2014, 02:17:05 pm
Why do you think that Bielema said, "we don't like those guys" (meaning Auburn)? My theory is that he isn't oblivious to Malzahn's Arkansas connection and he knows that because of that, this could turn out to be a big game every year as long as Gus is at Auburn. He probably doesn't really dislike Gus or Auburn, that statement was likely for public consumption. He's heaping some coals on the fire given his stance this past off season with regard to promoting a change to a "10 second rule" and Gus's negative stance with regard to that same proposed rule.

Now what does that do? It certainly ramps up interest in that first game, especially for Arkansas fans and t.v. coverage, and you can be sure that ESPN will be leading into that game with a regurgitation of every statement that Bielema and Malzahn exchanged in the off season.

Now will it ever become a true rivalry game where we are each others #1 rival? I doubt it, but Bielema is doing everything he can to bring the discussion and interest in Arkansas football to the foreground.

Additionally, if he plays his cards right and can gain fan sympathy, he might be able to damage Auburn's recruiting efforts in this area by finding a way to pit Arkansas fans and recruits against Auburn, despite Gus's history here.

I'm not worried about being their true rival because of Alabama, but I could see us moving up to #2 over Tennessee or Georgia.

just wanted to point out tenn is bammers rival, Auburn rarely plays them. its not considered a rivalry and i would easily put arkansas over them. its bammer, ga, lsu-ark, the mississippi's and the rest. way back in the day ga tech was huge.

Steef

Quote from: Notshavin on April 05, 2014, 07:58:12 pm
No offense Steef, but that is starting to sound like being content with a "Moral Victory"

None taken, my friend.

'Moral victory' was given a stain by Nutt.

But if I start spewing "we're gonna win EVERY game this season!"...everyone will (rightfully) call me a dumb homer.

We're gonna win more than we did last season. And we're gonna play the losses...better than we did last season.

Assuming we DO lose a few games this coming year, would you rather those losses look like the LSU game? Or the Bama game?

Now, SOMEONE is gonna jump in here in a minute and say "there's no such thing as a good loss. Only winning matters." Well, I'm going to enjoy the ones we win, and I'm ALSO gonna enjoy seeing my Hogs just BE BETTER.

Because BETTER...is our future.  :)

grayhawg

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2014, 08:56:34 pm
None taken, my friend.

'Moral victory' was given a stain by Nutt.

But if I start spewing "we're gonna win EVERY game this season!"...everyone will (rightfully) call me a dumb homer.

We're gonna win more than we did last season. And we're gonna play the losses...better than we did last season.

Assuming we DO lose a few games this coming year, would you rather those losses look like the LSU game? Or the Bama game?

Now, SOMEONE is gonna jump in here in a minute and say "there's no such thing as a good loss. Only winning matters." Well, I'm going to enjoy the ones we win, and I'm ALSO gonna enjoy seeing my Hogs just BE BETTER.

Because BETTER...is our future.  :)
Agreed, and we could be considerably better this year and still not win enough to be bowl eligible.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on April 05, 2014, 07:06:02 pm
Let's start with A game and then go from there. Our talent was horrible but we had our chances and blew it because of bone head coaching errors. The onside kick against Auburn and the halfback pass against Ole Miss killed us last year.

Yep those two decisions were the sole reason for our bad season. Some of you guys are so childish. A lot of things went wrong. I am wondering if on a particular 4th down pass a few years ago that went for a TD had been incomplete - would you have been strutting around saying "We didn't come to paint!"

Sometimes the unexpected play doesn't bounce your way. Sometimes when things are going bad you have to take a gamble.

But you don't really care about that - do ya?  ;)

Wants2Win

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 09:25:00 pm
Yep those two decisions were the sole reason for our bad season. Some of you guys are so childish. A lot of things went wrong. I am wondering if on a particular 4th down pass a few years ago that went for a TD had been incomplete - would you have been strutting around saying "We didn't come to paint!"

Sometimes the unexpected play doesn't bounce your way. Sometimes when things are going bad you have to take a gamble.

But you don't really care about that - do ya?  ;)
I have no problem with rolling the dice every once in a while, but it needs to be a calculated risk. Not just running random fakes.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wants2Win on April 06, 2014, 08:40:43 am
I have no problem with rolling the dice every once in a while, but it needs to be a calculated risk. Not just running random fakes.

I agree there has to be a method to the madness.