Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas new Point Guards (Free Article)

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, April 04, 2014, 11:55:22 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HF#1

Quote"This year when we played against - people - especially zones - we didn't do a good job of getting into the gaps and attacking," Anderson said. "Creating for themselves and creating for others, I think that is going to be a big key. I think with the personnel we have here and the guys coming in it's going to give us a chance to get Ky (Madden) off the basketball.

"I thought Ky had the ball in his hands a lot and there were times he had it too much," Anderson said. " He was trying to create for himself and for others. You push him to an off guard position and I think he is a lot more effective."

Thought Mike nailed it with this statement.  Ky had a great year but at times felt he needed to do too much.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

JayBell

Should put an end to most of the claims that Beard will be a combo guard and that Madden will start off the year as a point guard.  Anderson is looking for those guys to come in and immediately change the team dynamic.

HawgAdvocate

April 04, 2014, 03:01:58 pm #3 Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:19:07 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: JayBell on April 04, 2014, 02:59:37 pm
Should put an end to most of the claims that Beard will be a combo guard and that Madden will start off the year as a point guard.  Anderson is looking for those guys to come in and immediately change the team dynamic.

It won't until that actually happens. Saying it and actually doing it are two very different things.

Again though, we don't use traditional roles in the back court. Our two guards normally have the same freedoms and responsibilities, with Bell and Madden having more leeway to chuck 23+ footers, but I digress... if Beard/Durham/Babb show they can put the ball on the floor and play efficiently on offense, then Madden won't have to be counted on as heavily.

But they have to go out and prove they can adapt to this higher level of play and buy into their roles at Arkansas first.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

Quote from: HogFan#1 on April 04, 2014, 02:36:19 pm
Thought Mike nailed it with this statement.  Ky had a great year but at times felt he needed to do too much.

Its more of having those smaller, quicker guards that have the ball-handling ability to penetrate a defense. Whether they dominate the ball or not isn't as important as their ability to get Madden, Qualls, and our other players catch and shoot opportunities.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 04, 2014, 03:01:58 pm
It won't until that actually happens. Saying it and actually doing it are two very different things.

Again though, we don't use traditional roles in the back court. Our two guards normally have the same freedoms and responsibilities, with Bell and Madden having more leeway to chuck 23+ footers, but I digress... if Beard/Durham/Babb show they can put the ball on the floor and play efficiently on offense, then Madden won't have to be counted on as heavily.

But they have to go out and prove they can adapt to this higher level of play and buy into their roles at Arkansas first.
Totally agree. Going by CMA's track record in the past he will likely not start any of the newcomers unless absolutely necessary. Reminds me of all the comments he made about playing Portis and Kingsley together more and that never really happened. He would mention that in his press conferences and then almost never do it. I still think, unless something like suspension or injury happens that our lineup will be:

Madden
Bell
Qualls
Harris
Portis

To start off the year and then a few games into SEC play that might change. A perfect example of CMA's philosophy in regards to newcomers and freshman can be seen during BJ's freshman year. He came off the bench 2/3 of the season behind Scott and Wade and I was pulling my hair out.