Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let's talk Quarterbacks

Started by King TUSKankahamun, April 04, 2014, 11:35:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

King TUSKankahamun

Here is my thoughts. We had hard time of it last year at QB but I expecting improvement we have a lot of promising talent either on the roster or coming in so how does our QB situation play out over the next few years?

IMO BA starts this year and next. We will see a better BA but I don't expect elite level QB play. He will be serviceable and if people can forget this last year we should have few complaints with him. After that there will be choices to make. Duwop will be a non factor and Derby will be gone. That will leave us with AA Rafe and Storey. All three QB's have a shot at being great so who wins?

AA- I like this kid and he is the supposed #2 right now so we know he's got a shot. He should be the expected heir to the throne if you will. But right now QB #2 is not exactly a position of competition. Duwop is apparently not impressing and Derby is well.... Derby. Rafe seems to be making the most out of he compititon but at the end he will end up red shirting and sitting behind AA based on age and experience. By the time BA leaves we will have more talent on campus and AA won't have a monopoly on the position like it appears he does now. Is he good enough to fend off the others after they've had time to mature and practice with the team?

Rafe- Who doesn't love Rafe? The kid loves the hogs and has the intangibles to be a great QB leader along with his skill set. He provides more mobility which hog fans would love to see on the field. That being said I have a huge fear for Rafe that he will end up the next Brandon Mitchell. We willbe dying to see him and know that he has great athletic ability but he just never can seem to break through. I hope this isn't the case but he point remains that he will have an uphill battle to get the position away from AA and stiff compititon only a year behind him. However he is obviously impressing early and some are saying that he is already competing for #2 so I could be wrong. I kinda hope I am because he kid is just exciting to hog fans

Storey- If asked to pick who follow BA I'd pick Storey. The kid just screams elite QB more than the others. When BA leaves Storey will be a redshirt freshmen and fully in the QB compititon. The other QB's won't be ahead due to playing experience except for a little mop up duty and the occasional injury. On a strictly skill set level I expect Storey to be dominating and will have a year of experience and maturity in the system. I expect that he will already be considered the leader of the possibly excellent 2015 class which should begin to shine by then.

Let's be clear, this is not a thread for bashing. It's quite the opposite. I'm pointing out that there's alot of potential talent in the upcoming years and sadly somewhere some of it will have to unutilized.

Thoughts???
Self proclaimed dead King of Hogville

Kevin

i am not buying all the propaganda this spring. knew, it was coming.

show me time, next august
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on April 04, 2014, 11:37:38 am

This is how I felt about the supposed improved D going into the last 2 seasons. I now feel the same way about the QB and WR positions.

Letsroll1200

I'm with you!!! I will believe that the QB play is better when it is proved on Saturdays. I don't care what the coaches have to say about improved play. The head coach did a lot of talking last season but very silent on results.

Ironhawg

Very much this.

Steef

No one is saying any of our guys are gonna look like Montana on game day.

But ALL of them should be improved. BA looked decent last year until he got hurt.

I don't think we'll play for crystal. But I do think we will play better.

TNRazorbacker

We aren't Alabama. We must have a good QB capable of making plays to compete in this league. We aren't going to win with a "game manager", much less a kid that has a habit of throwing to D-backs which is precisely what we have now.

We could be much improved from last year and still be bad where QB is concerned. It was just that awful. I don't see much reason to expect better this year. We basically have the same thing we had last year with a few extra greenhorns thrown into the mix.

I realize this sounds pessimistic, I just don't see much reason for optimism.  The best we have to hope for is BA doing a complete 180 (from everything we've seen thus far), or one of the freshman turning out to be a phenom. Neither seems like much to hang your hat on.

Steef

Youre right.

That IS pessimistic.

GlassofSwine

Agreed. I'm not buying anything said about Arkansas football until I see them play myself. The last 2 years we have had lots of reports from media and coaches on how amazing we were in practice. I bought the hype when JLS was coach in the preseason, last year I knew we were doomed to mediocrity but hoped we would make a low-tier bowl game. This year I will be optimistic and supportive but until I see otherwise on the field I still put us at the bottom of the SEC West.

Steef

Chef reported that the QBs were "okay".

Mike reported they had some good passes and some bad passes. And that there wasn't a lot of difference between them, other than BA seems to be clearly #1.

Exactly how...is that " hype"?

Lake City Hog

When I hear the phrase "game Manager" I want to throw up!
SEC teams win with Quarterbacks, GOOD Quarterbacks and if our staff truly feels like a Game Manager will win we are DOOMED!

Sure we can win some OOC games and beat some of the SEC teams that have the same ideas, but if we want to win in the SEC we had better plan on TRAINING our QB's to be GOOD!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: King TUSKankahamun on April 04, 2014, 11:35:11 am
Here is my thoughts. We had hard time of it last year at QB but I expecting improvement we have a lot of promising talent either on the roster or coming in so how does our QB situation play out over the next few years?

IMO BA starts this year and next. We will see a better BA but I don't expect elite level QB play. He will be serviceable and if people can forget this last year we should have few complaints with him. After that there will be choices to make. Duwop will be a non factor and Derby will be gone. That will leave us with AA Rafe and Storey. All three QB's have a shot at being great so who wins?

AA- I like this kid and he is the supposed #2 right now so we know he's got a shot. He should be the expected heir to the throne if you will. But right now QB #2 is not exactly a position of competition. Duwop is apparently not impressing and Derby is well.... Derby. Rafe seems to be making the most out of he compititon but at the end he will end up red shirting and sitting behind AA based on age and experience. By the time BA leaves we will have more talent on campus and AA won't have a monopoly on the position like it appears he does now. Is he good enough to fend off the others after they've had time to mature and practice with the team?

Rafe- Who doesn't love Rafe? The kid loves the hogs and has the intangibles to be a great QB leader along with his skill set. He provides more mobility which hog fans would love to see on the field. That being said I have a huge fear for Rafe that he will end up the next Brandon Mitchell. We willbe dying to see him and know that he has great athletic ability but he just never can seem to break through. I hope this isn't the case but he point remains that he will have an uphill battle to get the position away from AA and stiff compititon only a year behind him. However he is obviously impressing early and some are saying that he is already competing for #2 so I could be wrong. I kinda hope I am because he kid is just exciting to hog fans

Storey- If asked to pick who follow BA I'd pick Storey. The kid just screams elite QB more than the others. When BA leaves Storey will be a redshirt freshmen and fully in the QB compititon. The other QB's won't be ahead due to playing experience except for a little mop up duty and the occasional injury. On a strictly skill set level I expect Storey to be dominating and will have a year of experience and maturity in the system. I expect that he will already be considered the leader of the possibly excellent 2015 class which should begin to shine by then.

Let's be clear, this is not a thread for bashing. It's quite the opposite. I'm pointing out that there's alot of potential talent in the upcoming years and sadly somewhere some of it will have to unutilized.

Thoughts???

Good analysis of the QB situation.

Since the majority "in the know" are saying BA is injury-free and looks really good.

I think how the WR's perform is just as critical.  They should be running routes over and over, and practicing the fundamentals of catching the ball everyday.

Not worried about our RBs or our offensive line.

But everything you said I believe is right on.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 04, 2014, 01:39:55 pm
I'm with you!!! I will believe that the QB play is better when it is proved on Saturdays. I don't care what the coaches have to say about improved play. The head coach did a lot of talking last season but very silent on results.

And that is my concern scheduling Auburn for our first game.

It makes ZERO sense, IMO.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

Steef

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 10:42:32 pm

I had that same concern. But I realized for the last several years, we had most/all of our cupcakes front loaded...and it really didn't matter much in the long run.

The other point is, most of our young team played last year. They already know what to expect.

Quote from: steefhog on April 04, 2014, 10:47:39 pm
The other point is, most of our young team played last year. They already know what to expect.

That's a good point.  However, these are still the guys that the coaching staff did not think they were SEC level players, and went back to the basics with them regarding basic, proper technique and execution - which still didn't take when the season started.

Some freshman are going to have to step up, and the kids who were here last year will have to have had MAJOR progress before our 1st game. 

I am not going get into this much more here bc I started a thread on it and I'm not trying to derail.  I just think that this is BB's style, he's fearless and won't back down.  But you have to be smart also.  Scheduling an SEC team with Gus at the helm suddenly becomes a major must-win.

forrest city joe

Thoughts???
B. Allen starting for 2 more years. unless there is a big improvement  from what i saw last year, that can't happen. can it?

ChitownHawg

Dang the guy wants to talk about QBs and a bunch of whiners come on talking about last year. "I'm gonna wait to see first." Well that is a fair enough statement, and that has a lot of merit.

So we are suppose to sit and listen to the crickets for the next few months? The OP raised the topic of QBs.

I can accept the analysis with the exception of Storey. When I started hearing the hype I watched his highlight film and really was not impressed. He seemed to have a weak arm.

Now I am not a QB guru, so my analysis may be crap - it usually is. Also highlight films sometimes can miss the mark. I just didn't see what all of the excitement was about. Now the kid has chosen the Hogs and I will be cheering for him.

BA play out his time here, then AA, then Rafe.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GlassofSwine

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 05:35:43 am
Dang the guy wants to talk about QBs and a bunch of whiners come on talking about last year. "I'm gonna wait to see first." Well that is a fair enough statement, and that has a lot of merit.

So we are suppose to sit and listen to the crickets for the next few months? The OP raised the topic of QBs.

I can accept the analysis with the exception of Storey. When I started hearing the hype I watched his highlight film and really was not impressed. He seemed to have a weak arm.

Now I am not a QB guru, so my analysis may be crap - it usually is. Also highlight films sometimes can miss the mark. I just didn't see what all of the excitement was about. Now the kid has chosen the Hogs and I will be cheering for him.

The OP's statement is that he expects to see improvement in the first sentence. It isn't whining to say "You will believe it when you see it". My opinion based on everything I have seen is that BA can be serviceable only if we have a dominate running game and a great defense. One of two isn't enough. I fully expect every team we play to stack the box against the run. Sadly, a 55% completion percentage when teams are stacking the box is terrible. I will be ecstatic if we have a passing game this year that can make a team pay for loading the box but I'm not expecting it.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 05:35:43 am

Can BA be a special player for the razorbacks? I haven't seen special from BA and it's my belief we need a special QB to be a special team. BA my be better but better might not be good enough to get to a bowl game. It's time to prove because last year was a embarrassment.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2014, 09:23:13 am
Can BA be a special player for the razorbacks? I haven't seen special from BA and it's my belief we need a special QB to be a special team. BA my be better but better might not be good enough to get to a bowl game. It's time to prove because last year was a embarrassment.

If you are expecting "special" this year then the odds are against you. I am looking for "respectable" with some wins. Low side 4 wins - high side 6 wins and a low level bowl. I understand the OP is about QBs, but to me the quality of our defensive play will dictate how our season goes.

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

ChitownHawg

Quote from: GlassofSwine on April 05, 2014, 08:33:30 am
  The OP's statement is that he expects to see improvement in the first sentence. It isn't whining to say "You will believe it when you see it". My opinion based on everything I have seen is that BA can be serviceable only if we have a dominate running game and a great defense. One of two isn't enough. I fully expect every team we play to stack the box against the run. Sadly, a 55% completion percentage when teams are stacking the box is terrible. I will be ecstatic if we have a passing game this year that can make a team pay for loading the box but I'm not expecting it.

To be fair to the OP here is what he actually stated:

IMO BA starts this year and next. We will see a better BA but I don't expect elite level QB play. He will be serviceable and if people can forget this last year we should have few complaints with him.

It is whining when you make that "I'll believe it when I see it" statement in every post. The OP says forget about last year, but your response jumps right into last year. If you think his premise is silly then don't reply to the post.

The  "I'll believe it when I see it" does not advance the conversation one bit. I apologize if you thought it did.

Kevin

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 05, 2014, 12:49:58 am
B. Allen starting for 2 more years. unless there is a big improvement  from what i saw last year, that can't happen. can it?

fcj, you and i agree on ba. for me, it has to do with, he showed no pocket presence last year. always bailed out to his right, even when the pressure was coming from that side.

he rarely, if ever, stepped up into the pocket. not sure, this is something that can be corrected
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

WilsonHog

If Bielema talks negatively about players, his critics complain that he's "throwing them under the bus."

If he talks positively about his players, his critics complain that he's spewing "propaganda."

Pick a lane.

Wait....you already have.

flynhog

No O line no offense. 

Great qbs running for their lives behind poor linemen cannot function.  This year isn't the measure.  Next year maybe.
Wins are the only things that matter when the game ends.  The mistakes that happen in the game are corrected by good coaching during the week. A season of near losses means you won every game.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GlassofSwine on April 05, 2014, 08:33:30 am

Seems like folks have to be constantly reminded that BA played with an injured shoulder from about the third series of the third game of the season. Never recovered fully last season. Derby didn't set the world on fire so BA gets forced back into action too early, still playing hurt.

Now when you have an injured QB that is playing hurt, the last thing that you want is for him to put himself in a position to get sacked on that bad shoulder, or attempt to force the ball into a situation that would require greater shoulder/arm strength, so I would suggest that might account for the quicker exit from the pocket and the throw-aways.

Let's also keep in mind that as a true freshman, BA got very little development of his skills under Paul Petrino (who definitely isn't to be confused with his brother in terms of developing QB's). When Wilson went down he was basically, unprepared and thrown to the wolves. A pretty negative experience for a true freshman. Last season, new offense and then the injury. We are talking about a kid that has a total of 16 games of experience under his belt and most it being injured.

All that being said, we are about to find out if BA is the QB that Bobby Petrino thought he was when he recruited him, whether his shoulder is fully healed and whether or not he has the mental toughness to overcome a crisis of confidence and bounce back from a disappointing season.

I hope for his sake and the Hogs, that he can. Time will tell.
Go Hogs Go!

lumphog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 05, 2014, 12:34:07 pm
Seems like folks have to be constantly reminded that BA played with an injured shoulder from about the third series of the third game of the season. Never recovered fully last season. Derby didn't set the world on fire so BA gets forced back into action too early, still playing hurt.

Now when you have an injured QB that is playing hurt, the last thing that you want is for him to put himself in a position to get sacked on that bad shoulder, or attempt to force the ball into a situation that would require greater shoulder/arm strength, so I would suggest that might account for the quicker exit from the pocket and the throw-aways.

Let's also keep in mind that as a true freshman, BA got very little development of his skills under Paul Petrino (who definitely isn't to be confused with his brother in terms of developing QB's). When Wilson went down he was basically, unprepared and thrown to the wolves. A pretty negative experience for a true freshman. Last season, new offense and then the injury. We are talking about a kid that has a total of 16 games of experience under his belt and most it being injured.

All that being said, we are about to find out if BA is the QB that Bobby Petrino thought he was when he recruited him, whether his shoulder is fully healed and whether or not he has the mental toughness to overcome a crisis of confidence and bounce back from a disappointing season.

Very good points Musk, BA will be one of the best QBs in the SEC this year. The O-line will be better. We'll be able to run on anyone & that will open up the passing. I fully expect to see a more Chaney-O this year. Much more balanced.....IF we can run, we can pass......BA will be fine.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: lumphog on April 05, 2014, 12:46:31 pm
Very good points Musk, BA will be one of the best QBs in the SEC this year. The O-line will be better. We'll be able to run on anyone & that will open up the passing. I fully expect to see a more Chaney-O this year. Much more balanced.....IF we can run, we can pass......BA will be fine.

I'm not saying that he will be, but I am also not saying that he can't be. Much of this is on the shoulders of Chaney and Brandon Allen.

Having a strong run game will take some pressure off of BA and the Receivers and theoretically, should open up the passing game more than it did last season when every team we played knew that Allen's throwing shoulder was weak. But, making teams back off of putting 8 in the box is going to have to be earned by a better passing threat than last year and that isn't only on Allen, but receivers running crisp patterns, bending routes inbetween coverage packages and then looking the ball in, ignoring any "foot steps" that they might hear.

I'm anxious to see how this all plays out.
Go Hogs Go!

Steef

People seem to forget a lot of little details about BA in particular and last year as a whole.

I have no idea if he can be any good or not. Because so far, the opportunity has not occurred.

And neither does anyone else, with the possible exception of Coach Chaney. And he is not in a position to be candid.

Mike_e

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2014, 01:22:29 pm
People seem to forget a lot of little details about BA in particular and last year as a whole.

I have no idea if he can be any good or not. Because so far, the opportunity has not occurred.

And neither does anyone else, with the possible exception of Coach Chaney. And he is not in a position to be candid.

He showed a Lot of promise in the LSU game last year, especially for a freshman.

Yes I know the year he was in but realistically he was a freshman.

I really hope that the world doesn't treat some of you for your past trials like you are treating BA.

If the kid doesn't pan out then he just didn't but at least give him a chance.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

lumphog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 05, 2014, 01:22:22 pm
I'm not saying that he will be, but I am also not saying that he can't be. Much of this is on the shoulders of Chaney and Brandon Allen.

Having a strong run game will take some pressure off of BA and the Receivers and theoretically, should open up the passing game more than it did last season when every team we played knew that Allen's throwing shoulder was weak. But, making teams back off of putting 8 in the box is going to have to be earned by a better passing threat than last year and that isn't only on Allen, but receivers running crisp patterns, bending routes inbetween coverage packages and then looking the ball in, ignoring any "foot steps" that they might hear.

I'm anxious to see how this all plays out.
Agree, I'm really pullin for Chaney. I think he is the key to our success. I hope he throws it around & runs a more balanced O like he did at TN. I have faith in Pittman puttin a NASTY O-line out there that will be able to run on anyone. That will open up the gunslinger in Chaney. This is gonna be fun to watch for Hog fans..... IF Bob thought BA was good..... I think he can get us there & I believe, like you stated, that BA's biggest problem was being thrown to the wolves by Paul P & Smiley. When he sees the pressure taken off & he relaxes more, I see him shinin.

Letsroll1200

BA never played as a true freshman. It's time to play some football hurt or not hurt. I saw D-Mac play hurt and produce. I hope that BA returns and I have a strong season. I think it's time for BA to put up or sit down. This is his fourth year playing college ball on the hill.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2014, 02:25:24 pm
BA never played as a true freshman. It's time to play some football hurt or not hurt. I saw D-Mac play hurt and produce. I hope that BA returns and I have a strong season. I think it's time for BA to put up or sit down. This is his fourth year playing college ball on the hill.

Really? Was DMac's injury a separated knee? As that would be a RB's equivalent to QB's separated shoulder. Some of you guys are simply unbelievable.  ;D

PorkRinds

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 10:42:32 pm

Again, it made sense at the time it was scheduled. 

Steef

???

DMac played with cracked ribs. And his performance during that time fell off drastically.

BA had a damaged shoulder. Now...that's a QUARTERBACK...who has to THROW the ball...with a bum shoulder.

If you think it's easy, YOU try it.

Un-freaking-believable.

bennyl08

BA's true freshman season was with GM and BP. His RS freshman season was with Paul and smiley, and his RS sophomore was with Chaney and BB.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Steef

Quote from: locusbug on April 05, 2014, 02:34:17 pm
Really? Was DMac's injury a separated knee? As that would be a RB's equivalent to QB's separated shoulder. Some of you guys are simply unbelievable.  ;D

Crap. Beat me to it.

lumphog

+1 aint that the truth

Kevin

Speaking positively and propaganda is not the same.

The propaganda they are putting out will give unrealistic expectations of him. Like saying he is completing 86% of his passes in practice. 

Plus every time cbb talks in the spring is about selling tickets.

Letsroll1200

Yes it was his foot. Did you forget about the incident he had in Little Rock before the season. Throwing the ball directly to the defenders against Miss. State and Florida was not shoulder it was mental. I'm hopeful because he played better against LSU and I saw improvement. I'm ready to see results.

Steef

Quote from: Kevin on April 05, 2014, 02:46:17 pm
Speaking positively and propaganda is not the same.

The propaganda they are putting out will give unrealistic expectations of him. Like saying he is completing 86% of his passes in practice. 

Plus every time cbb talks in the spring is about selling tickets.

When was the last time any coach came out in the Spring and said, "Man, we really suck. This year is gonna be terrible."....?

Other than Houston Nutt, of course.

MuskogeeHogFan

You are basically wrong on all counts, but let's not let that get in the way of the facts.
Go Hogs Go!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: steefhog on April 05, 2014, 02:40:54 pm
???

DMac played with cracked ribs. And his performance during that time fell off drastically.

BA had a damaged shoulder. Now...that's a QUARTERBACK...who has to THROW the ball...with a bum shoulder.

If you think it's easy, YOU try it.

Un-freaking-believable.

Excuses does not produce positive results. If this is the attitude of the team they should forfeit every game.

ricepig

Allen 17-20  for 242 yds with a TD and int
Derby 9-13 151yds with 1 td and 1 int

Letsroll1200

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 05, 2014, 02:48:28 pm
You are basically wrong on all counts, but let's not let that get in the way of the facts.

Did BA play as a true freshman? If so I stand to be corrected. I remember a redshirt freshman entering the game in Little Rock with a 28-7 lead against ULM. I didn't see it that year and I didn't see it last year. Im watching and waiting!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2014, 02:50:05 pm

Excuses does not produce positive results. If this is the attitude of the team they should forfeit every game.

Are you just lookng to create an argument and flame or are truly serious? If you are truly serious I hope you read some of the replys to your posts and do your own research.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2014, 02:52:28 pm
Did BA play as a true freshman?

Yeah, as was stated above, when Wilson went down. He actually made 5 appearances in games his Freshman year.
Go Hogs Go!

Mike_e

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2014, 02:52:28 pm
Did BA play as a true freshman? If so I stand to be corrected. I remember a redshirt freshman entering the game in Little Rock with a 28-7 lead against ULM. I didn't see it that year and I didn't see it last year. Im watching and waiting!

The difference between talking trash in a bar and in here is that not everyone in here is drunk.

just sayin.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Steef

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on April 05, 2014, 02:50:05 pm

Yeah. Because injuries aren't real.

Obviously, you never actually PLAYED football.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 05, 2014, 02:52:50 pm
Are you just lookng to create an argument and flame or are truly serious? If you are truly serious I hope you read some of the replys to your posts and do your own research.

No argument from me but BA gets a pass for his poor play. If that is the case give tevin Mitchell, Otha peters and everybody that played hurt last season a pass for poor play.