Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

brief practice report for April 3, 2014

Started by Ugly Uncle, April 03, 2014, 08:31:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ugly Uncle

Well, there is a reason Alex Collins has been in trouble.  He is out of shape.   When I say out of shape he almost looks pregnant.  I thought during warm ups he was going to have a heart attack.  However, when he had the ball in his hands he didn't look like he had lost speed or quickness.  Just amazing how fast he still is and how quick.  But he would be so out of breath after a couple of plays he would have to walk back to sidelines with his hands on his hips.

DJ Dean is the opposite of that.  He has put on some good weight and at first I thought he was a LB.  He looks faster than last year and will be a player for us if he keeps progressing.

All the QBs looked "okay" today.  Brandon Allen is much better than the other4.  Austin looked pretty good today and Derby looks brilliant about every third throw.

Hatcher, Wilson, Cornelius, and Hollister had great days today.  Sprinkle caught e everything around him and is a mismatch on whoever tries to cover him.

Dan Skipper knows what he is doing.  It seemed like he was directing traffic a lot out there today.

I'm on my phone and out tonight but will answer any questions I can.
Retired Radio Host

Lake City Hog

Ched, did Marshall get more reps than Collins?

Who got the most 1st team work on the O'Line?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: lchog on April 03, 2014, 08:40:01 pm
Ched, did Marshall get more reps than Collins?

Who got the most 1st team work on the O'Line?

Korliss didn't practice today. He came out there at the end of practice in street clothes.  I believe it was a class schedule thing. 

Cook, Kirkland, Charpentier, smothers and Skipper were the guys running first team OL.
Retired Radio Host

Lake City Hog

That looks like a pretty solid starting 5!

ldfergu

His nickname is Buddha!! He's just trying to fit the nickname

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on April 03, 2014, 09:03:09 pm

LOL. You may have a point.
Retired Radio Host

ldfergu

How about Koehler? Look forward to getting the incoming freshman here. I saw J Pruitt is taking the ACT again soon. I assume the score will determine whether he makes it to campus or not?

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on April 03, 2014, 09:06:12 pm
How about Koehler? Look forward to getting the incoming freshman here. I saw J Pruitt is taking the ACT again soon. I assume the score will determine whether he makes it to campus or not?

Didn't notice Koehler today.  Will watch for him next time.

I wouldn't bet on Pruitt being here in Fall.  Hope I'm wrong.
Retired Radio Host

Lake City Hog

Ched, if he doesn't make it that is a lost scholarship, right?
What if he goes juco and comes to us after 2 years will that cost us another scholarship?
Thanks

ZERO

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 03, 2014, 08:31:53 pmWell, there is a reason Alex Collins has been in trouble.  He is out of shape.   When I say out of shape he almost looks pregnant.

Well that's pretty surprising. It's amazing that he could have put on so much in just three or four short months.

QuoteAll the QBs looked "okay" today.  Brandon Allen is much better than the other4.  Austin looked pretty good today and Derby looks brilliant about every third throw.

Hm. In what ways exactly has Allen improved since the after his shoulder injury, and in what ways is he still not impressing you? "OK" is better than last year, but that's still not very comforting. Nonetheless, I appreciate the honest assessment.

QuoteHatcher, Wilson, Cornelius, and Hollister had great days today.  Sprinkle caught e everything around him and is a mismatch on whoever tries to cover him.

So our receivers are looking much improved, does that mean it appears most of the mistakes seem to be on QB play? Was Hunter Henry at practice today? Sprinkle creating mismatches - does that seem to be more to his strength, or more on the weakness of the defense?

Pretty informative for what little you can provide. Thanks much.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: lchog on April 03, 2014, 09:21:26 pm
Ched, if he doesn't make it that is a lost scholarship, right?
What if he goes juco and comes to us after 2 years will that cost us another scholarship?
Thanks
I think we might be able to give his scholarship to someone at semester but not for sure. Also RD reported today that he is going to take the ACT next weekend.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ZERO on April 03, 2014, 09:24:27 pm
Well that's pretty surprising. It's amazing that he could have put on so much in just three or four short months.

Hm. In what ways exactly has Allen improved since the after his shoulder injury, and in what ways is he still not impressing you? "OK" is better than last year, but that's still not very comforting. Nonetheless, I appreciate the honest assessment.

So our receivers are looking much improved, does that mean it appears most of the mistakes seem to be on QB play? Was Hunter Henry at practice today? Sprinkle creating mismatches - does that seem to be more to his strength, or more on the weakness of the defense?

I was shocked at how he looked and it was a bit of a buzz with some of the media.  "How do you let your star running back get like that so quickly." Is what one media member said to me.

Hunter Henry is Hunter Henry.  I failed to mention him because he is always good and always leading.
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: ZERO on April 03, 2014, 09:24:27 pm

Oh, and Brandon didn't make me say "wow" today. He was just good.  Didn't miss any throws and led the offense.  He was just more crisp than the others.
Retired Radio Host

ADavisTheGOAT

Buddha is in good hands with Ben Herbert ;)
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

Dwight_K_Shrute

Collins deal kind of reminds me of James The Grim Reaper Roper from The Great White Hype. Still whipped that boys a**
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 03, 2014, 09:36:56 pm
I was shocked at how he looked and it was a bit of a buzz with some of the media.  "How do you let your star running back get like that so quickly." Is what one media member said to me.

Hunter Henry is Hunter Henry.  I failed to mention him because he is always good and always leading.

I guess I'm confused.  If they're training year round, how does AC get so out of shape like that?  I think I'd have the same comment that one media member said to you.  If that's what happens DURING the school year when you would think someone would actually see him, then it's a little scary to think what might happen over the summer. 

Man...I really hate to hear that.  I hope he's regretting it, and he's going to put the work in to get back to where he needs to be.  I remember coming back for two a days and thinking..."Man, I REALLY wish I'd done more over the summer."  Then the next season...rinse and repeat.   :)
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Dwight_K_Shrute

People making too big of a deal on this weight thing. Kid lived in Miami his whole life. He finally gets a taste of real southern cooking and goes a little cray cray. Just means he is fat and happy. They can ride him all summer and get him back in shape. Also when Bert and Honey Boo Boo Chaney are two of your mentors I'd expect a little weight gain as well. No big deal.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

ADavisTheGOAT

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2014, 09:56:34 pm
People making too big of a deal on this weight thing. Kid lived in Miami his whole life. He finally gets a taste of real southern cooking and goes a little cray cray. Just means he is fat and happy. They can ride him all summer and get him back in shape. Also when Bert and Honey Boo Boo Chaney are two of your mentors I'd expect a little weight gain as well. No big deal.
Its a good thing that he still has his speed and quickness. Its just that the muscles used to truck the crap out of somebody aren't there. It only hurts his power.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

urkillnmesmalls

He can drop that weight quick...no doubt about that.  But...it does speak to why BB is disappointed. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

OnTheHillHogFan

I don't know why Ched said he looked fat because he isn't. I just talked to him the other day and he is definitely bigger than last fall but he isn't fat by any means
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

forrest city joe

Quote from: GreenbrierHogFan on April 03, 2014, 10:07:10 pm
I don't know why Ched said he looked fat because he isn't. I just talked to him the other day and he is definitely bigger than last fall but he isn't fat by any means
There are a lot more things to worry about than how big Alex Collins has gotten. like QB and the defense.

HogInFlorida

Compared to Korliss and J Will he does. Those 2 both look like they're chiseled out of granite. Collins is softer around the edges as of now.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Dwight_K_Shrute

And this is what happens when you close practice. Middle aged men fretting over ACs muffin top

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on April 03, 2014, 09:03:09 pm
Haha, great line +1

LZH

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2014, 09:46:26 pm
Collins deal kind of reminds me of James The Grim Reaper Roper from The Great White Hype. Still whipped that boys a**

Yeah, but Irish Terry Conklin was one of Petrino's recruits.........

c-townfan

hawgmasta

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2014, 11:01:56 pm
And this is what happens when you close practice. Middle aged men fretting over ACs muffin top

Muffin top alert?!?! How many SEC wins does that equal?!?! Oh jeez!!

Calling All Hogs

I thought AC looked a little chucky when he was shown rushing the court after the big Kentucky Qualls dunk but wasn't sure since he was surrounded by others all going crazy.

Marshfieldhog

Don't we have an off season weight program? Why would one of your Top 5 players be allowed to gain that much weight( if true)? I can see why the media was also wondering, except Nate Allen because he was probably wondering what all the fuss was about.

swinesation

Did Collins live a somewhat impoverished life growing up? If so, it's possible that having access to all the food he wants all the time has caused him to eat too much and put on the weight. It happens to lots of freshmen, but would be even more likely to happen to a kid who is not accustomed to having all the food he wants.

LZH

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 03, 2014, 09:41:26 pm
Buddha is in good hands with Ben Herbert ;)

Yepper, Herbert is the greatest S&C coach in the history of American sports........or at least since Veltkamp left, anyway - who btw was the greatest S&C coach of all time while he was here but was immediately downgraded to complete moron when Herbert arrived.

That's how that works in these parts, ya know.  Whoever is on the current staff at any given time is the best at his position, right up until he moves on or is fired.  Then it is apparent to all that he didn't know shoot from shinola and his replacement is the best in the history of forever and ever.....until..............

Everyone was so glad to finally have a world-class defensive coordinator when Ash rolled into town with BB.  Of course, we all know now that he was grossly incompetent and this new guy is the shizzle.

LZH

Quote from: swinesation on April 03, 2014, 11:48:54 pm
Did Collins live a somewhat impoverished life growing up? If so, it's possible that having access to all the food he wants all the time has caused him to eat too much and put on the weight. It happens to lots of freshmen, but would be even more likely to happen to a kid who is not accustomed to having all the food he wants.

Are you kidding?

Flatline

Basicly it comes down to him not showing and busting butt and not caring about how he looks. No excuse in this program when everyone is putting on muscle.

Ugly Uncle

Its cool man.  Just my opinion.  Practice is open on Saturday.  Everyone can judge for themselves. 
Retired Radio Host

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: c-townfan on April 03, 2014, 11:24:25 pm
How did Peavey look?

Like the rest of the QBs he looked okay.  I think the two Allens and maybe Derby looked better.  Just my opinion though.
Retired Radio Host

RazorbackToTheFuture

Ched I'm gonna guess you've never had kids.  If this is what you think a pregnant woman's stomach looks like.

http://t.co/JhDjqdwBf7

SeeingRed13

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on April 04, 2014, 12:18:45 am
Its cool man.  Just my opinion.  Practice is open on Saturday.  Everyone can judge for themselves. 

Thanks for the report, Ched. Speaking of Saturday's practice, what time does it start?

southeasthog

Need to remember about Collins also, he played Lacrosse in HS. That's a whole lot of running that he is not doing now.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on April 03, 2014, 09:49:37 pm
I guess I'm confused.  If they're training year round, how does AC get so out of shape like that?  I think I'd have the same comment that one media member said to you.  If that's what happens DURING the school year when you would think someone would actually see him, then it's a little scary to think what might happen over the summer. 

Man...I really hate to hear that.  I hope he's regretting it, and he's going to put the work in to get back to where he needs to be.  I remember coming back for two a days and thinking..."Man, I REALLY wish I'd done more over the summer."  Then the next season...rinse and repeat.   :)

I'm with you on this. Where the heck is Coach Herb? He is one of the highest paid coaches and he let's one of his guys get in that kind of shape? Something ain't right.  ???
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Chief Mac

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on April 03, 2014, 11:01:56 pm

nice!  I just had coffee spew out my nose as I laughed
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

razorsharptusk

Now we know why coach said JWill is leading the pack at RB.  It just seems, at least at this point, that Williams is more focused and mature than Alex, and want's it just a bit more.  Alex gained some attention as a freshman and now he will have to learn that because of that, more will be expected of him each year to come. He is young.  My thing is why are the coaches standing for it, if they are?
GO HOGS!!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: razorsharptusk on April 04, 2014, 07:14:28 am
Now we know why coach said JWill is leading the pack at RB.  It just seems, at least at this point, that Williams is more focused and mature than Alex, and want's it just a bit more.  Alex gained some attention as a freshman and now he will have to learn that because of that, more will be expected of him each year to come. He is young.  My thing is why are the coaches standing for it, if they are?

That's a fine line.  Go into any gym's free weight room, and watch guys work out.  The ones who are using good form, and gutting out those last two reps, and in there consistently...are the ones who are in the best shape.  There are genetic exceptions, but that's true in general.  You can't MAKE someone put in that last 10% of effort that it takes to excel.  You can't make someone NOT eat that extra 1,000 calories a day from empty calorie sugar laden snacks when no one is around.  You can't make someone have the fortitude to want to be first in wind sprints.  That has to be internally motivated. 

I think that's what BB is trying to get across to AC.  If he ups his level of dedication, he could take exceptional to the next level and be one of the rarest of birds.  That's my take on it.  I'm not worried, because if he can't catch his breath enough to be in on a few plays in a row, they'll make sure he can...if you know what I mean.   ;)   

But...it does concern me that BB seems to need to hit him with a cattle prod consistently, because the vast majority of sporting's greats had the internal drive to reach their goals.  And before you go there, Babe Ruth was the exception to the rule.   ;D     

RazrRila99

Ok, guys, calm down.  This isnt necessarily a reflection of Ben Herbert, the conditioning program, etc.  This could be simply a FRESHMAN being a freshman.  Thinking, hes invincible, enjoying the attention, going through the motions, etc.  Im quite positive AC will figure it out. 

Tell you what might work - have some of the girls who are throwing themselves at him to say hey, arent you getting a little soft?  That might work :)

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: hog13hog on April 04, 2014, 03:52:45 am
Ched I'm gonna guess you've never had kids.  If this is what you think a pregnant woman's stomach looks like.

you just need to shut it down right now, before you make a bigger fool of yourself

PP

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RazrRila99 on April 04, 2014, 07:43:17 am
Ok, guys, calm down.  This isnt necessarily a reflection of Ben Herbert, the conditioning program, etc.  This could be simply a FRESHMAN being a freshman.  Thinking, hes invincible, enjoying the attention, going through the motions, etc.  Im quite positive AC will figure it out. 

Tell you what might work - have some of the girls who are throwing themselves at him to say hey, arent you getting a little soft?  That might work :)

I bet a threat of a "muffin top removal summer contingency plan" by CBB might help too.   ;D

urkillnmesmalls

BZZZZZ.  That's the buzzer going off on your failed troll effort.   

Nosboar Accubond

Any chance Herb spent all winter trying to add weight and is now getting ready to trim him back up?

I mean since we all seem to know all the details surely somebody has an answer?

Laughing Hog

He's in his first trimester in this pic..
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

The NewEra

I think we can quit calling AC a freshman now.  Everything he's doing now is prepping him for his Sophomore campaign.  I hope he starts to take the off season a little more seriously, but he is young and has received a lot of attention that would be hard for any true Freshman to handle.  On the other hand you have J Will who shows he's taking this stuff seriously and C Marshall who I am more and more impressed with every time I hear that kid talk.

Competition will be great for these three.

HawgnCorona

This is my thought as well. He is simply enjoying life. The deer hunting photo and comment regarding embrace his surrounding--the culture--I guess is the beginnings of what you see. He should be fine after a few more workouts. He could have just got caught up in it all and lost focus on why he is actually here. :razorback:  :razorback: :razorback:
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8