Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

K Marshall write up

Started by ldfergu, April 03, 2014, 12:07:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 08, 2014, 09:22:29 am
You've just been added to the Shadow Group Creator Hater shadow group.  Hope it was worth it.
Only the Shadow Group Creator Hater shadow group knows for sure.

LZH

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 04, 2014, 08:38:47 am
I don't have any skepticism about Marshall.  I think he's a good RB and can be great with more practice.  It is just funny to me that everyone says he's a "threat to take it all the way everytime he touches it" even though his longest run so far is 32 yards.

Everyone says it simply because he's fast.

To a lot of Arkansas fans, especially on Hogville:

Fast = Great RB
Faster RB = Better RB
Not Hitting 80-yard TD runs = Slow
5.6 yards on every single carry = Not as good as 80 yards on every 50th carry (because the 5.6 yard-per-carry RB is not a "threat to take it all the way on every carry")

Is that the same as saying passing for 200 yards and rushing for 250 yards is not as effective as passing for 300 yards and rushing for 50 yards?  I mean, there are dozens of I-luv-Petrino-more-than-life-itself guys on here that would argue just that.

HogsonHicks

Another point to consider with Marshall is his explosiveness correlated with the number of carries he received per game.  Running your absolute fastest on a toss sweep, 2-3 times a game, without fear of in-between the tackle hits, can certainly make a back look considerably faster. 

I do believe Marshall is a bit faster than Collins and Williams, but a normal RB load warrants more intelligent pacing and lateral movement, which detracts from the appearance of straight ahead speed.  Folks should consider the type and volume of runs all three backs made before judging which would be a better and more consistent breakaway threat.

LZH

Quote from: HogsonHicks on April 08, 2014, 09:56:35 am
Another point to consider with Marshall is his explosiveness correlated with the number of carries he received per game.  Running your absolute fastest on a toss sweep, 2-3 times a game, without fear of in-between the tackle hits, can certainly make a back look considerably faster. 

I do believe Marshall is a bit faster than Collins and Williams, but a normal RB load warrants more intelligent pacing and lateral movement, which detracts from the appearance of straight ahead speed.  Folks should consider the type and volume of runs all three backs made before judging which would be a better and more consistent breakaway threat.

What?  Fast is fast, cuz.....that's about it.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 08, 2014, 09:22:29 am
You've just been added to the Shadow Group Creator Hater shadow group.  Hope it was worth it.
Son of a...
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Prestworthy

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 08, 2014, 10:04:47 am
What?  Fast is fast, cuz.....that's about it.
I went to the scrimmage Saturday hoping to see KM, but he told me he wouldn't be cleared until next week.  I hope KM gets as many carries as JWill and AC.  He deserves them.

hhicNaychaBoi

Quote from: The Hogfather on April 04, 2014, 07:53:47 am
Faster doesn't necessarily mean he's going to "take it all the way" when he gets touches.

I know he's fast and as I CLEARLY said in my previous post, I don't necessarily disagree with the "threat to take it all the way" line.

It is just funny to me that everyone in the world is talking about how he's a "threat to take it all the way on every touch" and his longest run last season was 32 yards.
do you realize how tough it is to break off a 32 yard run in the sec? the kid came from osceola where jonathan williams is probally bigger than most of the players he faced in high school. If korliss had a 100 plus carries the isnt a doubt in my head that he couldnt be a 1000 yard rusher. He is one of the better pure athletes that you will ever see.  the kid can naturally do things that many train for years to do. its gonna be real tough keeping himoff the field.

hhicNaychaBoi

Quote from: Legball13 on April 04, 2014, 10:11:00 am
Someone please make a list of all the Korliss doubter, You are going to see that, even though he does wear braids and post his every move on Twitter.. that he is the real deal! I cant wait to see these same people who think he is nothing but a change of pace back, start blowing him up (and saying they knew it all along) when he starts getting more and more carries and becomes THE star!
i agree with u coach

bennyl08

Quote from: hhicNaychaBoi on April 09, 2014, 01:11:36 am
do you realize how tough it is to break off a 32 yard run in the sec? the kid came from osceola where jonathan williams is probally bigger than most of the players he faced in high school. If korliss had a 100 plus carries the isnt a doubt in my head that he couldnt be a 1000 yard rusher. He is one of the better pure athletes that you will ever see.  the kid can naturally do things that many train for years to do. its gonna be real tough keeping himoff the field.

Averaging 10 yards a carry won't be easy... Granted, there is not a doubt in my mind either that there exists some number of carries over 100 that KM could get to send him over 1000 yards. Moreover, there isn't a doubt in my mind that I could get over 2000 yards in a 12 + game season if I get 50+ carries. Now, 12+ may mean 200 games and 50+ may mean like 10000 carries, but yeah. There's not a doubt in my mind that I can make a certain claim under fuzzy circumstances.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Chief Mac

Marshall is turning into Dennis Johnson version II with some of you
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

grim_sleeper

I don't understand why people are 'hoping' that Marshall is better than Collins and Williams.  I don't get why people are pulling for him to dominate.  They all play for the hogs, and they should all get our support.   Pulling for one running back over the others just because he is from Arkansas isn't too welcoming to new recruits from other parts of the country.

Pork Twain

This thread has some really special posters in it
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LZH

ricepig

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 09, 2014, 08:50:11 am
Thanks.

Well, I that it was awful presumptuous of himself to be bragging like that.

LZH

Quote from: ricepig on April 09, 2014, 08:51:11 am
Well, I that it was awful presumptuous of himself to be bragging like that.

I just wanted to get myself out there as one of the good guys before it all starts going downhill like some of the other threads this week.

plumbhog

Quote from: grim_sleeper on April 09, 2014, 07:07:57 am
I don't understand why people are 'hoping' that Marshall is better than Collins and Williams.  I don't get why people are pulling for him to dominate.  They all play for the hogs, and they should all get our support.   Pulling for one running back over th others just because he is from Arkansas isn't too welcoming to new recruits from other parts of the country.
Really? Seems to me that if you have a RB come along thats good enough to put Collins and JWill on the the bench then thats one heck of a RB. I would think most most fans would love to have one that good.
bigdaddyhawg,<br />"Tyler wants to find the short receiver almost every single time.  He rarely even looks down the field. Folks, this IS a problem and it is going to continue to severely limit our pass game."<br /><br />Six days later, Tyler throws for a school record 510 yards against A&M