Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Just a thought...

Started by b_stackhouse, April 03, 2014, 09:53:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

b_stackhouse

Don't get me wrong, I love Bud Walton Arena. It has the potential to be one of the best environments in all of college basketball. But, how cool would it have been to play the NIT game in Barnhill Arena? At the point the University knew it wasn't going to sell out the NIT game, which was pretty much from the beginning, I think it would have been a great idea to hold the game at the Barn. If for nothing else than to give some younger Razorback fans the opportunity to see what it used to be like. I realize it may not have the amenities, glitz, and glamour of BWA, but sometimes it's a good idea to bring back a little history.

Anyway, just a thought, maybe you disagree, but that's what messages boards are for.

PorkRinds

Quote from: b_stackhouse on April 03, 2014, 09:53:50 am
Don't get me wrong, I love Bud Walton Arena. It has the potential to be one of the best environments in all of college basketball. But, how cool would it have been to play the NIT game in Barnhill Arena? At the point the University knew it wasn't going to sell out the NIT game, which was pretty much from the beginning, I think it would have been a great idea to hold the game at the Barn. If for nothing else than to give some younger Razorback fans the opportunity to see what it used to be like. I realize it may not have the amenities, glitz, and glamour of BWA, but sometimes it's a good idea to bring back a little history.

Anyway, just a thought, maybe you disagree, but that's what messages boards are for.

Barnhill isn't a basketball arena any more.

jry04

Quote from: b_stackhouse on April 03, 2014, 09:53:50 am

Barnhill is for Gymnastics and Volleyball, now.

There is no chance we play there again, but certainly no chance to play there for a nationally televised game on ESPN.

HogFaninMemphis

I see us never playing there again and it be unceremoniously torn down in a couple of years because it is too big/decrepit for its current use. Ohio State's former arena is getting a similar treatment as Barnhill currently and soon it will be gone with a new 4,000-seat arena in its place. It would be great to see us play one sending-off game there, but knowing that Jeff Long likes to see bygones be bygones, I highly doubt it will happen.
The idea that a game can't be played there though is a bit pessimistic. Ohio State has played at St. John Arena a couple of times the past 10 years due to scheduling conflicts, and they just put temporary white lines on the court. It's not an impossible or expensive concept, it just lacks support from the powers that be.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

Hog are ya

Wish I was a Walton sometimes....  I'd just make Barnhill a cool loft living area that I'd stay on game days and have friends come over for a big party!

jry04

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on April 03, 2014, 11:58:25 pm
I see us never playing there again and it be unceremoniously torn down in a couple of years because it is too big/decrepit for its current use. Ohio State's former arena is getting a similar treatment as Barnhill currently and soon it will be gone with a new 4,000-seat arena in its place. It would be great to see us play one sending-off game there, but knowing that Jeff Long likes to see bygones be bygones, I highly doubt it will happen.
The idea that a game can't be played there though is a bit pessimistic. Ohio State has played at St. John Arena a couple of times the past 10 years due to scheduling conflicts, and they just put temporary white lines on the court. It's not an impossible or expensive concept, it just lacks support from the powers that be.
I don't see it being torn down. Like I said, the gymnastics and volleyball teams use it. Also, with the increased enrollment at the U of A, classes are actually held there some semester to accommodate all of the students.