Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Strength Coach Deets resigns

Started by The_Iceman, April 02, 2014, 11:55:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 11, 2014, 12:32:44 pm
The new guy has them running an old drill.

Cleveland.

Not many better ones.....

Johnboy

If I am reading this article correctly... was Deets maybe not as good as some thought?

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-06-19/ku-transfer-hunter-mickelsons-numbers-rise

The_Iceman

Quote from: Johnboy on June 23, 2014, 08:09:55 am
If I am reading this article correctly... was Deets maybe not as good as some thought?

http://cjonline.com/sports/2014-06-19/ku-transfer-hunter-mickelsons-numbers-rise

Let's hope we can get all this corrected. That's pitiful if our staff doesn't even know proper lift technique.

forrest city joe

Whoever Mike hires will be the right guy and do a good job. i am 100% behind Mike and trust his judgment.

HawgAdvocate

June 23, 2014, 09:28:56 am #104 Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 09:45:00 am by HawgAdvocate

It was easy to see that Mick wasn't being developed right when he was here. Gaining 5+ inches to his vertical will be huge for him.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mbgrulz

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 23, 2014, 08:23:55 am
Let's hope we can get all this corrected. That's pitiful if our staff doesn't even know proper lift technique.
Thats a ridiculous notion Ice. Deets is a nationally respected S&C coach.

Mike DID NOT want Deets to go. Deets apparently thought the private business he was going into was going to be much more profitable than his old job. From what I could gather, that didn't work out.

If you've ever spent time around any S&C coaches, you'd know that if you talk to 20 different S&C coaches, you'll get 20 different philosophies. There is no 1 right way of doing things. They all have different ideas and ways of doing things.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 23, 2014, 09:44:05 am
Thats a ridiculous notion Ice. Deets is a nationally respected S&C coach.

Mike DID NOT want Deets to go. Deets apparently thought the private business he was going into was going to be much more profitable than his old job. From what I could gather, that didn't work out.

If you've ever spent time around any S&C coaches, you'd know that if you talk to 20 different S&C coaches, you'll get 20 different philosophies. There is no 1 right way of doing things. They all have different ideas and ways of doing things.

I'm what Mick is asserting is true, and he was doing squats with his knees going in, someone should have corrected that. If there is ever a lift where technique is important, it is Squat. Bad form can lead to serious injury.

mbgrulz

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 23, 2014, 10:11:10 am
I'm what Mick is asserting is true, and he was doing squats with his knees going in, someone should have corrected that. If there is ever a lift where technique is important, it is Squat. Bad form can lead to serious injury.
Cant argue with you on that...but c'mon do we seriously think Deets is getting invites to speak at national clinics and being selected by Nike as 1 of 7 strength coaches nationwide to develop the SPARQ rating system for basketball etc...yet he doesn't know how to teach proper squatting technique? Call me cynical, but I'll take the side of homer article written by homer journalist who interviewed a semi-disgruntled ex-player.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Porked Tongue on June 11, 2014, 12:32:44 pm
The new guy has them running an old drill.

Cleveland.

Did you see them running it? I wonder why it hasn't been announced yet.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on June 24, 2014, 10:20:36 pm
Did you see them running it? I wonder why it hasn't been announced yet.
They don't formally run it until after summer.

twistitup

"I'm pretty prepared, I think"....sounds like he still lacks confidence - tough to fix that!

I'm pulling for Mick, but he needs to find some swagger
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

RazorPiggie

hawgtime

GuvHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on June 23, 2014, 10:11:10 am

Sounds like someone wasn't doing their job properly.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 23, 2014, 10:40:21 am
Cant argue with you on that...but c'mon do we seriously think Deets is getting invites to speak at national clinics and being selected by Nike as 1 of 7 strength coaches nationwide to develop the SPARQ rating system for basketball etc...yet he doesn't know how to teach proper squatting technique? Call me cynical, but I'll take the side of homer article written by homer journalist who interviewed a semi-disgruntled ex-player.

Believe what you want, but there was obviously something amiss in the basketball weight room. There is no excuse for a strength coach not catching Mick's bad form and correcting it.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mbgrulz on June 23, 2014, 09:44:05 am

If that's the case, along with all the praise you've given him, he shouldn't have any trouble landing a head S&C job at a top program within the next year.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

poloprince

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 25, 2014, 08:03:45 am
Wish we still had Mick.

I thought he went to KU to start and not fight for reserve minutes as the article states.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Porked Tongue

Mickelson keeps pushing and his choirboy image might take a hit with some direct testimony.

poloprince

HM needs to.accept accountability and stop knit picking. This has nothing to do with his play on the court. Weight lifting and vertical jump weren't his issues.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: poloprince on July 05, 2014, 12:36:06 pm
I thought he went to KU to start and not fight for reserve minutes as the article states.

Re-read the 'Mick to KU transfer" thread. Most all said he would contribute. Just one guy projected he would start.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=537267.0

Quote from: poloprince on July 05, 2014, 12:44:53 pm
Weight lifting and vertical jump weren't his issues.

Oh really? Funny that you should mention that. Because back then, in the same 'Mick to KU' thread, you complained otherwise:

Quote from: poloprince on April 25, 2013, 02:56:24 pm
Well please elaborate on how you develop a kid to make bunny layups or dunks and rebound. 

Adding an extra 5+ inches to his vertical plus increased physical strength won't help with these? Why so much hate for HM? Did he steal your girl or something?

GuvHog

Quote from: poloprince on July 05, 2014, 12:44:53 pm

HM needs to.accept accountability and stop knit picking. This has nothing to do with his play on the court. Weight lifting and vertical jump weren't his issues.

Yes those were his issues and now we know why.

k.c.hawg

I've fully expected that over the next two years I would see a HM that had developed a mean streak, swatted shots and rebounded much more aggressively than he did in CMA's system. Bill Self has worked magic on some 4's and 5's in his time. I expected maybe a 10-12 minute a game player, if not this year maybe in his Sr year, that would show much more in the low block than we saw out of him in his 2 years on the hill. Then I heard an interview with Bill Self 3 or 4 weeks ago and was surprised to hear his response when questioned about HM. It sounded like a meh.....something like "yeah he can pick and pop it pretty good." Self has had some bigs that could pull you away from the basket but he loves bigs that do all the dirty work with a mean streak. We will see how it works out there for HM. He always seemed to want to be a 3 on the offensive end when he was on the hill.....don't think BS will reward that with a lot of playing time unless he becomes a major force down low on the defensive end.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.