Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nit championship game

Started by LRrazorback, April 02, 2014, 08:14:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

LRrazorback

Is two teams the hogs beat

Minnesota vs SMU

Couple that with Kentucky in the final four and the overall number 1 seed Fl, who we took to ot, it gives hope that we can reach the same level

RazorPiggie

The difference is those teams know how to play at the end of the year whereas we don't show up.

Brandon72

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 02, 2014, 08:14:40 am

Minnesota vs SMU

Couple that with Kentucky in the final four and the overall number 1 seed Fl, who we took to ot, it gives hope that we can reach the same level

I'd rather lose in the first round of the NCAA tourney than be in the NIT championship game. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on April 02, 2014, 08:20:43 am
The difference is those teams know how to play at the end of the year whereas we don't show up.

+1 Brilliant Post

HoustonwehaveaProblem

I used to date this girl who is now married to a doctor, so that gives me hope too.

rude1

This has about as much meaning as Hootie being able to truthfully say he has beaten two teams in the year that they won their NC. It's meaningless.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Mao Tse-tusk on April 02, 2014, 12:18:32 pm
I used to date this girl who is now married to a doctor, so that gives me hope too.

Your name his brilliant Mao +1 on the name

WMHawgfan

Don't forget Clemson was in the final four of the NIT as well. We beat them too.

Does it mean anything? Not really.

Kevin

It means squat. You cannot get your self worth from other teams accomplishments
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on April 02, 2014, 01:37:12 pm
I think he is simply pointing out that we are not that far away from being a legit NCAAt team if you take into account 4 teams still playing and we are 4-1 against those teams with one win being on the road and the other on a neutral site and the OT loss by 2pts to clearly the best team in the country.

We are getting closer than we have been in many many years to being a legit tournament team that can make a sweet 16 type run. We just have to sustain consistency.

Hogfan1660

rude1

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 02, 2014, 02:27:51 pm
I think he is simply pointing out that we are not that far away from being a legit NCAAt team if you take into account 4 teams still playing and we are 4-1 against those teams with one win being on the road and the other on a neutral site and the OT loss by 2pts to clearly the best team in the country.

We are getting closer than we have been in many many years to being a legit tournament team that can make a sweet 16 type run. We just have to sustain consistency.
The only thing this says is we were wildly inconsistent as a team, nothing more IMO. How can you be good enough to win those games but bad enough to get beaten by two teams with losing records at seasons end?

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on April 02, 2014, 03:34:54 pm
The only thing this says is we were wildly inconsistent as a team, nothing more IMO. How can you be good enough to win those games but bad enough to get beaten by two teams with losing records at seasons end?
Inconsistent is right. Most of that is mental mindset. We have the ability to flat out beat the best teams in the country was my point just not capable of doing it on a consistent basis and I think that comes from lack of mental toughness. I think we get help in that regard and not meant to be a jab at Gulley or Wade or Scott but those guys mental mindsets really won't be missed.

Hawg Red

Quote from: rude1 on April 02, 2014, 03:34:54 pm

We are inconsistent, yes, but I think we proved to be more competitive this year than we have been in a long time. We really only had two games where we didn't compete well. We performed much better on the road, even in losses, and that says a lot for our development.

We did lose to two bad teams at the end of the year, but that doesn't paint the entire picture. Alabama plays pretty well at home and it was senior day. Not excusing our performance but still. SC had a rough season, but they were fairly hot at that point. They just punched us in the mouth, though the game came down to the very end. We were there. If we can overcome the loss of senior leadership and defense, we should be able to take another step and win more close games next year. That's the next step.

rude1

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 02, 2014, 03:46:41 pm
Inconsistent is right. Most of that is mental mindset. We have the ability to flat out beat the best teams in the country was my point just not capable of doing it on a consistent basis and I think that comes from lack of mental toughness. I think we get help in that regard and not meant to be a jab at Gulley or Wade or Scott but those guys mental mindsets really won't be missed.
We also have the ability to lose to the worse teams, so those two things kind of cancel each other out IMO. The mark of the good team is beating the teams you are suppose to beat home or away. It's hard for me to say "we are close", when you get blown out at Bama near seasons end, when you should be playing your best ball, and you still have a possible tourney bid at stake.

bphi11ips

Quote from: rude1 on April 02, 2014, 12:25:41 pm
This has about as much meaning as Hootie being able to truthfully say he has beaten two teams in the year that they won their NC. It's meaningless.

Nothing is ever meaningless.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Breems

That's why we aren't celebrating our self worth due to UConn and Wisconsin being in the Final Four.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HawgnCorona

It might prove what some of the talking heads were saying...When we bring our best game we can play with anybody on any give night. I agree with that line of thought.

And no it doesn't mean we need the accomplishments of other to garner our own self worth.

We do that ourselves...our record against those teams speaks for itself.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

LRrazorback

Good grief people.
I was just pointing out, that of the 6 remaining teams playing, we have 4 wins against 3 of them. Meaning, when we play well we can beat about anybody.  Don't know how y'all could complain about it but where there's a will there's a way.

secfan30

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 02, 2014, 09:30:08 pm
Good grief people.
I was just pointing out, that of the 6 remaining teams playing, we have 4 wins against 3 of them. Meaning, when we play well we can beat about anybody.  Don't know how y'all could complain about it but where there's a will there's a way.

Some love misery

Hoggie17

Since CMA has arrived we have improved each year.  This year we beat both teams that are playing for the NIT Championship.  We took both games from Ky and Fla had to go into over time for a win against us. Every year it will get better as long as we keep Anderson. I am really pleased with where CMA is taking our team, next year we will make the tournament.

That's what OP was pointing out. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: Breems on April 02, 2014, 07:31:09 pm
That's why we aren't celebrating our self worth due to UConn and Wisconsin being in the Final Four.
UConn and Wisconsin were afraid to play us, obviously.   :razorback:

jabberjawls

So, are you saying we underachieved at the end of the season?

Hoggish1

Quote from: LRrazorback on April 02, 2014, 08:14:40 am

Minnesota vs SMU

Don't forget that SMU had to beat another team we beat (Clempson), to get to the NIT final game...

alohawg

Arkansas lost several games they should and could have won- games that were mismanaged from the bench. CMA seems bent on taking out the hot hand as soon as they get hot or building a lead then substituting with a non-scoring bunch until we lose the lead and momentum and fight the rest of the game to stay close only to lose another game they should have won.
Count me in the camp that doesn't believe Mike will ever get beyond a sweet16 appearance at best, the HDN of b-ball. Sorry to say, I've seen more than enough evidence.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hoggie17 on April 03, 2014, 09:02:00 am
Since CMA has arrived we have improved each year.  This year we beat both teams that are playing for the NIT Championship.  We took both games from Ky and Fla had to go into over time for a win against us. Every year it will get better as long as we keep Anderson. I am really pleased with where CMA is taking our team, next year we will make the tournament.

With these giant improvements we should win 2 NIT games next year, 3 NIT games the next year and make the NCAAT the following year if we keep this improvement pace...  Year 6 Hogs go dancing.... Year 9 the Sweet 16!!!
SEC!

b-ash

We were 5-1 against the Final Four from both Major NCAA tournaments.  Our only loss, we should have won, but Harris missed his free throw.  To me it just shows a lack of consistency and that we are closer than many think.  Once we get the proverbial snow ball rolling the right direction we will be back in the mix every year. 

jabberjawls

But then we turn around and lose to Alabama and South Carolina.  Does that mean that we are farther away than many think?

75_zebra

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 02, 2014, 06:57:12 pm

The Teacher would respectfully disagree.

BigSexyHog

I once dated the home coming queen and prom queen in the same year.
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

XX

Quote from: BigSexyHog on April 03, 2014, 03:58:37 pm
I once dated the home coming queen and prom queen in the same year.
But did they put out...that's why I married a ho.
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: bphi11ips on April 02, 2014, 06:57:12 pm
I don't know about that. Are you old enough to have ever seen an episode of "Alf"?

latrops

What is our alternative....just accept that we suck most of the time?

We competed with and even beat some pretty good teams this year.  Stinks that they went on to greater success than we did, but it does suggest that we were close.  Throw in the fact we only lose one truly meaningful player in Clarke, and there is cause for optimism.

HawgnCorona

No one is trying. Simply your point of view. The point is we did beat those teams. So you can diminish that fact with your opinion.
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

AWHAWG

Quote from: Hoggie17 on April 03, 2014, 09:02:00 am

+1

AWHAWG

Quote from: rude1 on April 02, 2014, 12:25:41 pm
people complained about our OOCS we were better than a lot of people including the team thought