Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about parents and recruiting

Started by TuskDr, April 01, 2014, 11:15:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TuskDr

Would it be possible that a recruit's parent could be too aggressive in the recruiting process, and  the coaches decided that they just don't want to deal with them.  For example, if a three star athlete has a father that is pathologically involved in the process, might that be reason enough to pass on the player.  I am asking this because I have a recruit in mind.

LJHOG

No team needs a 3* Mitch Mustain.  Not that is was his doing.  But, momma!! 

Danny J

Gary Brashears baby!!! Never seen a parent involved like that before.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

I doubt that the parental unit is a deciding factor when all is said and done.
The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

redeye

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on April 01, 2014, 11:22:49 pm
Gary Brashears baby!!! Never seen a parent involved like that before.

Yea, Brashears is the one that comes to mind for me, too.

And to answer the question, I don't know, but if the parent were bad enough, I could see it happening.

TuskDr

Quote from: OS2 (SW) Razor Back on April 01, 2014, 11:45:33 pm
I doubt that the parental unit is a deciding factor when all is said and done.
If you had a couple of three star recruits that were pretty equal, I could see it playing into the decision. I realize that the more talented you are the more baggage you can carry, but I'm thinking about a three star.

fortsmithokie

Quote from: TuskDr on April 01, 2014, 11:15:53 pm
Would it be possible that a recruit's parent could be too aggressive in the recruiting process, and  the coaches decided that they just don't want to deal with them.  For example, if a three star athlete has a father that is pathologically involved in the process, might that be reason enough to pass on the player.  I am asking this because I have a recruit in mind.

Doesn't just have to be a 3* type. I'm aware of higher ranked players a couple teams passed on because of little league parents. What's worse is the recruit with parents that don't act that way during recruiting, but end up being nightmare once they sign.

root_hawg

If it were a 5*; then no but a marginal 3* of course

tbhogfan

I actually dealt with more "crazy parents" coaching Little League than I did in my short time as a college assistant.   

I personally would choose the athlete that was best for my program and deal with parents.
Go Hogs!

ricepig

Quote from: tbhogfan on April 02, 2014, 10:07:24 am
I actually dealt with more "crazy parents" coaching Little League than I did in my short time as a college assistant.   

I personally would choose the athlete that was best for my program and deal with parents.

I saw a tweet a couple of days ago that had two t-ball size kids talking at second base. One of them asks if that's his Dad screaming at him, the other responds, "he thinks I'm going pro next year."

Wildhog

Don't like all this putting down of three stars, or 90% of all our signees
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Lake City Hog

I've heard this Mitch's Mom stuff for years with absolutely no facts offered to back up any of the crap spewed. Does anyone actually have a factual incident to report or is this just the same drivel?

Adam Stokes

Quote from: lchog on April 02, 2014, 09:22:52 pm
I've heard this Mitch's Mom stuff for years with absolutely no facts offered to back up any of the crap spewed. Does anyone actually have a factual incident to report or is this just the same drivel?

Some here at around the 1:44 mark

A little more here.  It mentions a little about Mustain's mom that I don't have quoted below, but below is the jist of it.  Basically a bunch of parents upset that the offense wasn't being run the way they were promised when their kids were being recruited. 
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=2697379

QuoteIn a fervent attempt to secure his job after an ugly 4-7 season in 2005, Nutt turned his program into the Springdale (Ark.) High School Continuing Education and Glorification Academy last winter. He hired the school's coach, Gus Malzahn, to be his offensive coordinator. That paved the way for the signing of four players from Springdale's undefeated state champs, most notably prep All-American quarterback Mitch Mustain.

Three of them -- Mustain, tight end Ben Cleveland and wide receiver Damian Williams -- played as true freshmen. Played a lot. Mustain started eight games and has thrown more passes than any other Arkansas quarterback this season. Williams started five games and was tied for second on the team with 19 catches. Cleveland started once and caught 11 passes, two of them for touchdowns.

Not good enough, apparently.

Parents of the three players met with Arkansas AD and icon-in-residence Frank Broyles last week. The fact that Broyles took the meeting was a chop-block to Nutt's authority. The Arkansas Democrat Gazette reported that Broyles told the parents Nutt was in charge of the football program -- but the 81-year-old former coach has never been a hands-off guy, and this meeting only reinforces the perception that he's constantly hovering over Nutt's shoulder.
The purpose of the meeting: The parents reportedly wanted to know whether Malzahn's no-huddle, spread offense would be the Hogs' offense of the future. It was not implemented this past season, which apparently runs counter to what the Springdale Mafia was promised during its recruitment to Fayetteville.

"From our perspective -- and it's only our perspective -- it seems as if you've been sold a bill of goods," Rick Cleveland, father of Ben Cleveland, told the Democrat Gazette. "We would never have committed here knowing that this was the offense, because we knew our boys wouldn't be happy."

Why, sure. How could you expect a kid to be happy with extensive playing time as a true freshman on a team that wins 10 games, advances to the SEC Championship Game and will play in one of the biggest non-BCS bowls? What do team accomplishments matter when Little Johnny isn't getting his touches?

"Our boys are used to catching 60 passes a year," Cleveland told the Democrat Gazette. "They want to go to a college where they get the same opportunity. Whether they're good enough to do that or not is a whole different question. They have to earn that."

You can probably find more if you look.

TuskDr

Quote from: Wildhog on April 02, 2014, 07:05:06 pm
Don't like all this putting down of three stars, or 90% of all our signees
I am not putting down any players. There are more three stars available than 4 &5 thus a team would have more options when recruiting. The scrutiny could be greater.