Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best PG to play for Hogs

Started by downsouthhawg72, April 01, 2014, 10:28:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TeedupHigh

Pigasaurus

Mayberry all the way.  Reid was fun to watch.  Fortson could have been incredible if he hadn't been a whack weasel.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Notshavin on April 02, 2014, 09:14:17 pm

It does matter. It wasn't "who was the best guard", it was "who was the best PG".

Kind of a circular argument. The PG leads the team, does what it takes to win. It is possible for a player to be a great point guard without being a "classic" point guard.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 03, 2014, 02:10:08 pm
Kind of a circular argument. The PG leads the team, does what it takes to win. It is possible for a player to be a great point guard without being a "classic" point guard.

Yes, but to be considered a PG for this discussion, you have to have played PG most of the time, for most of your career.  Since Brewer's teams shared that duty, I don't think they belong in the discussion.

Look at it this way:  Who would you chose to run the point, if you were starting a team and could get any of these players in their prime.  Your not allowed to take all 3 of the Triplets, you just get one, then you can chose the shooting guard, small forwad, etc.  Mayberry is the logical best choice.

I understand why some of you are hesitant to include Reid.  I wouldn't have considered him either, until I saw that he holds the record for most assists ever.
I didn't like the teams he played on because they weren't very successful, but we can't punish him for that.  That's a huge stat.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

pigroots

i've seen em all since 1970 and the best is Ron "Boothead" Brewer. Quick hands and no better clutch shooter save possibly Super Sid. Mayberry was great as well but give me only only one pick and its Brewer

pigture perfect

Mayberry, then Brewer followed by Bowers, Robertson then US. Brewer was the floor general for the triplets. While Delph and Sid could play the point, they only did when Brewer wasn't in the game. But Mayberry would start on any of those other teams. He was just so smooth.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Notshavin on April 03, 2014, 02:23:12 pm
Since Brewer's teams shared that duty, I don't think they belong in the discussion.

Simply not true. If he was in the game, he brought the ball up.

thirrdegreetusker

I understand why some of you are hesitant to include Reid. 

Well, a PG has to play D, too. Quality opposing guards would simply post him up, or shoot over him. Reid also had the outside shot of an offensive tackle.

Alright, you guys watched them more than I, so I will defer.

But Mayberry is still the best PG, regardless.  And I think I'll stick with Beck as the 2nd best. 

If what you are saying is really correct, then Ron would be #3.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

thirrdegreetusker

Look at it this way:  Who would you chose to run the point, if you were starting a team and could get any of these players in their prime. 

I picked Mayberry, a few posts back.

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 03, 2014, 04:23:08 pm
I picked Mayberry, a few posts back.

Yeah, I meant "you" as in everyone.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

yraciv

Ya'll are really stretching with Brewer. I've heard he brought the ball up on occasion, but I know for a fact they had Jim Counce on those teams, and he was a true PG.

bigfan

don't remember ever seeing Lee Mayberry getting trapped......

k.c.hawg

To anyone trying to make a case for Ron Brewer being a better PG than Lee Mayberry your memory has failed you miserably or you don't understand the role of a PG. Ron Brewer was one of my 5 favorite Hogs ever....I loved that guy on the basketball court and he was an assassin with the ball in his hands late in the game. But, that team was at times ball handling challenged  and ball distribution challenged. None of the triplets had ever been a ball distribution guy. Ron was a shooting guard that was used to bring the ball up and in the half court Jimmy Counce was used much more as the distributor. You can not tell me a guard with a 1:1 assist to turnover ratio is a better PG than a guy that was 3:1 over his career. You can make a point that Ron Brewer was a better overall basketball player but if you were building a basketball team and had 4 good scorers and wanted to add a classic PG that could distribute the ball, run you offense, score with the ball in his hand and lead, you would be a fool to choose Ron Brewer for that position over Lee Mayberry.

Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hhicNaychaBoi

kareem reid is the best one that was able to extensively watch...i like beck also...i didnt. get to see too much mayberry...i can only remember liking todd day when i was that young

Dr. Starcs

Is it just me or is this not the easiest and most universal poll in the history of hogville?

Watch around 2:30 for a great move by Mayberry.

Then at 6:40 you'll see Nolan leaving the court and then what happens next.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Notshavin on April 04, 2014, 01:35:43 pm
Watch around 2:30 for a great move by Mayberry.

Then at 6:40 you'll see Nolan leaving the court and then what happens next.

You know NS, a good thread to start right now would be the all-Final Four team for the Razorbacks.

Just players who played on our Final Four squads.

Quote from: dhornjr1 on April 05, 2014, 12:20:40 am
You know NS, a good thread to start right now would be the all-Final Four team for the Razorbacks.

Just players who played on our Final Four squads.

I agree!  Do it!  I've started too many recently, but I'll follow yours!

dhornjr1

Quote from: Notshavin on April 05, 2014, 12:22:27 am
I agree!  Do it!  I've started too many recently, but I'll follow yours!

Alright.

East TN HAWG

1 Mayberry 2 Beck 3 US Reed 4 K Reid 5 Freeman 6 Norton 7 Downtown Tony Brown 8 Bowers 9 Fortson