Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best PG to play for Hogs

Started by downsouthhawg72, April 01, 2014, 10:28:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouthhawg72

I was switching cable company's today so out came the VHS tapes while they worked. So I'm wondering what everybody thought about who the best PG to play for the hogs. Lee Mayberry was good at almost everything when he had to be.
DownSouthHawg

bobcat ball

Mayberry is the best I've seen.

Beck was another and he was just a gritty tough leader.
WOO PIG

LJHOG

k.c.hawg

I've been doing Razorback basketball since the Lanny Van Eman days and for a true point guard it is hands down Lee Mayberry.

3 to 1 assist/turnover ratio
43% 3 pt shooter
53% 2 Pt shooter
74% FT shooter
2 steals per game.

1940 points
729  assists
291  steals

I don't know how you could do it any better as a point guard. If we could have won a championship while he was here that would have put a neat little bow on it to make it clear to everyone. If you needed him to score he could hang up 35. He brought a calmness to frenetic paced basketball. Though I'm sure he had some ego it never stopped him from distributing the ball and running that offense as efficiently as humanly possible. A true joy to watch. At that time we traveled to almost every home, away and tournament games and I'm still thankful for every game I ever saw him play. One of my absolute all time favorite Razorbacks.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

tkclark

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 01, 2014, 10:56:02 pm
I've been doing Razorback basketball since the Lanny Van Eman days and for a true point guard it is hands down Lee Mayberry.

43% 3 pt shooter
53% 2 Pt shooter
74% FT shooter
2 steals per game.

1940 points
729  assists
291  steals

I don't know how you could do it any better as a point guard. If we could have won a championship while he was here that would have put a neat little bow on it to make it clear to everyone. If you needed him to score he could hang up 35. He brought a calmness to frenetic paced basketball. Though I'm sure he had some ego it never stopped him from distributing the ball and running that offense as efficiently as humanly possible. A true joy to watch. At that time we traveled to almost every home, away and tournament games and I'm still thankful for every game I ever saw him play. One of my absolute all time favorite Razorbacks.

Couldn't agree more. Well said. +1

Danny J

Mayberry then Beck and for totally different reasons.

AF74Razorback

Love the Razorbacks and disdain fair weather fans.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

This is a tough one because how do you measure "competitiveness" or that winning "X" factor.  I know this much, that team would not have won an NC and gone back to the final without Corey Beck.

1.  Lee Mayberry
2.  Corey Beck
3.  Allie Freeman/Kareem Reid (tied for 3rd)
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Wild Bill Hog

Lee Mayberry followed by Corey Beck.

blu

Quote from: LJHOG on April 01, 2014, 10:35:52 pm
Ron "Boothaid" Brewer

This guy plus Beck and Mayberry. All led Final Four or better teams.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

razorsharp94

Not a coincidence that the consensus seems to be Mayberry then Beck and that happens to be the best two eras of Hog bball.

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

root_hawg

Who would you want for this team if you could pick one in their prime?  I am going Beck for his toughness which this team desperately needs

hawgXi

how bout mayberry in the "strollin with nolin" game in austin.

was that the best ever?

bphi11ips

43% 3 pt shooter
53% 2 Pt shooter
74% FT shooter
2 steals per game.

1940 points
729  assists
291  steals

What he said.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Dugann

By Gosh He Didn't Come Back To PAINT!!!!

acey33

43% 3 pt shooter
53% 2 Pt shooter
74% FT shooter
2 steals per game.

1940 points
729  assists
291  steals

Bingo...Beck would be my second choice

hogsanity

Mayberry was every bit as tough as Beck.  Great on ball defender, great instincts to disrupt the passing lanes, could simply shut down the opposing teams Pg for long stretches of the game.  Mayberry was the definition of a PG.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogfan10

Quote from: root_hawg on April 02, 2014, 08:09:45 am
Who would you want for this team if you could pick one in their prime?  I am going Beck for his toughness which this team desperately needs

I would choose Mayberry, because he could score when needed. He could do everything, and he did everything very well.

HogsonHicks

Quote from: hogfan10 on April 02, 2014, 09:53:19 am
I would choose Mayberry, because he could score when needed. He could do everything, and he did everything very well.

Although more of a combo guard, Alvin Robertson was a big time PG/SG that is too often overlooked, especially by younger fans. 

In the 83-84 season, he registered 15.5 ppg, 6 apg, and 2.9 spg.  He was also one of, if not the best defensive guards we've ever had on campus.  He went on to have an excellent NBA career as well.

Jackrabbit Hog

I've never considered Brewer (Sr., of triplets fame) to be a true point guard.  He was a natural shooting guard who was more or less forced to play the point at times because we didn't have a true point guard.  He handled his job well, but his forte was shooting that sweet jumper, posting up smaller guards on the baseline, and playing defense. 

I'd put him in the class of top 5 most talented all around players we've ever had.

Oh, and to answer the OP, Mayberry by a mile.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

dhornjr1

Lee Mayberry is probably my favorite Hog of all time. Shot 50% from three-point range his sophomore year.

secfan30

Quote from: hawgXi on April 02, 2014, 08:12:12 am
how bout mayberry in the "strollin with nolin" game in austin.

was that the best ever?

This past weekend my father and me were talking about this game.

Mayberry then Beck.

Could use Mayberry now. His ability to hit the clutch shoot (like this Texas Game) could have been a difference in 3-5 games this year.

thirrdegreetusker

43% 3 pt shooter
53% 2 Pt shooter
74% FT shooter
2 steals per game.

1940 points
729  assists
291  steals

Brewer Sr shot 56 from the field, 75 from the line....just sayin'

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 02, 2014, 11:54:49 am
I've never considered Brewer (Sr., of triplets fame) to be a true point guard.  He was a natural shooting guard who was more or less forced to play the point at times because we didn't have a true point guard.

true

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: razorsharp94 on April 02, 2014, 07:40:20 am
Not a coincidence that the consensus seems to be Mayberry then Beck and that happens to be the best two eras of Hog bball.

Brewer Sr's teams were 77-15....just sayin'

I believe the original question was who was the best PG.

If they only played PG at times, that's not a true PG
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

hawkhawg

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Mayberry by a mile and behind him Beck

mhuff

Quote from: bobcat ball on April 01, 2014, 10:34:59 pm
Mayberry is the best I've seen.

Beck was another and he was just a gritty tough leader.

HogsonHicks

Mayberry can be easily argued as the best PG we've had. No doubt.

It may not be a popular opinion, but Beck was a good PG that benefited from the surrounding talent.  Gritty, tough, and a great floor leader, but his numbers undermine the discussion of him being the best.  He's certainly behind Mayberry.

Actually, if you look at career assist leaders for the Hogs, Kareem Reid holds the single game (15), single season (219), and career (748) assist records at Arkansas.  He's also third in career steals (251).  You could make a legitimate argument for Reed being the 2nd best pure PG we've had.

Quote from: HogsonHicks on April 02, 2014, 02:55:38 pm
Mayberry can be easily argued as the best PG we've had. No doubt.

It may not be a popular opinion, but Beck was a good PG that benefited from the surrounding talent.  Gritty, tough, and a great floor leader, but his numbers undermine the discussion of him being the best.  He's certainly behind Mayberry.

Actually, if you look at career assist leaders for the Hogs, Kareem Reid holds the single game (15), single season (219), and career (748) assist records at Arkansas.  He's also third in career steals (251).  You could make a legitimate argument for Reed being the 2nd best pure PG we've had.

The reason I have Beck 2nd before Reid is because he did the things that don't show up in stats:  Taking charges, getting lose balls, leadership,etc.  Reid may have more assists, but how many of those were in big games and/or assists at critical times in a game?

If I'm starting a team, I'm still taking Beck over Reid.  That's a no-brainer.

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawg Red

Mayberry, simply because he was my grandmother's favorite player in the '90s.

hogsanity

Quote from: Notshavin on April 02, 2014, 03:00:47 pm
The reason I have Beck 2nd before Reid is because he did the things that don't show up in stats:  Taking charges, getting lose balls, leadership,etc.  Reid may have more assists, but how many of those were in big games and/or assists at critical times in a game?

If I'm starting a team, I'm still taking Beck over Reid.  That's a no-brainer.

Reid may have had the ugliest shot in the history of basketball.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

thirrdegreetusker

IMHO........

The "greatest UA PG" discussion starts and ends with three names. Beck, Mayberry, and Brewer, Sr. No one else is even close.

The fact that Mayberry and Brewer sr may have been "true" shooting guards is irrelevant. They played the point at UA and did great.

Mayberry by a nose.

Brewer had the better pro career.

Beck was perfect for the team he was on.

Stats really don't tell the whole story, insofar as point guards. On defense, the 2 guard often gets steals because of the stuff the PG defender generates.

tophawg19

Arlyn BOWERS and Keith Wilson were also very good for us . Clint McDaniel might have been better had he not come in during the time we had so many good guards .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jusgtohogs

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 02, 2014, 01:23:46 pm
Brewer Sr's teams were 77-15....just sayin'

Yes, they were!  That said, Mayberry is the best PG I've seen as a Razorback.  Brewer, Delph and Moncrief each had the ability to take the team on their back, if needed.  And, during their careers, each of them did.

Tejano Jawg

Mayberry edges out Beck and Boot. Just can't deny his numbers. Wasn't spectacular, like U.S. Reed (let's not forget about him, and how he could work in the paint), but always got it done.

Plus, didn't Mayberry start every game in his 4-yr career?
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on April 02, 2014, 11:54:49 am
I've never considered Brewer (Sr., of triplets fame) to be a true point guard.  He was a natural shooting guard who was more or less forced to play the point at times because we didn't have a true point guard.  He handled his job well, but his forte was shooting that sweet jumper, posting up smaller guards on the baseline, and playing defense. 

I'd put him in the class of top 5 most talented all around players we've ever had.

Oh, and to answer the OP, Mayberry by a mile.

Well put.  Mayberry was the best all-round point guard talent.

But for holding a talented team in focus Beck was unmatched.

When it all came down to the last shot though Ron Brewer is the one you wanted on point.

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on April 02, 2014, 04:17:42 pm
IMHO........

The fact that Mayberry and Brewer sr may have been "true" shooting guards is irrelevant. They played the point at UA and did great.

Did Ron play every game at the PG position?

It does matter. It wasn't "who was the best guard", it was "who was the best PG".

That's an entirely different conversation.

forrest city joe

In this order.

Mayberry
Beck
Arlyn Bowers

WBOBO

In this order.

Mayberry  (All this years team was missing)
Beck (my favorite of all time couldn't have won it without him)
Robertson  (tenacious defense and hell in transition)
Bowers (6 ft guard with 8ft arms and quick)
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

High Octane Hog

PORKULATOR

Lee Mayberry... great in all aspects
Corey Beck... different set of intangibles on that guy. All his rebounds underneath, the way he found where to be on the court.
Cortney Fortson could've been third, but he was a poor teammate at times and very self serving.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

dhornjr1

Quote from: WBOBO on April 02, 2014, 10:23:38 pm
Bowers (6 ft guard with 8ft arms and quick)

Truck's listed height was 5'10". So, you can figure he was closer to 5'8".

And yes, very quick and strong as a bull.

yraciv

I think the discussion is who is the 3rd best.  I'm not going to act like Brewer was a PG, he was a 2 guard that occasionally took the ball up.  I've got to say I put Kareem Reid at 3rd.  Ball handling, relentless defense, and ability to run an offense and get his teammates open shots. Sure his shot wasn't great and he couldn't board like Fortson or Beverley, but he was a leader out there and that is what I look for out of a PG.

rusvegashog

LEE MAYBERRY. I combine Beck and MCDaniel as one. Personally I was a McDaniel guy. Ill be honest Reid was so unorthodox that my eyes said that's too ugly I'm not sure this guys any good, drove me nuts, but to look back and see the numbers he put up. also In these minor league so to speak and these "and one" deals he played in KR can ball. My eyes were wrong. Was Beverly considered a point? He was the toughest best rebounding guard I had seen.Lee Mayberry Steve Nash are my two favorite players ever, but probably the best Pg in my lifetime in college was Chris Jackson at LSU.

Suidae

FineAsSwine