Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wide Receivers Turning Heads At Spring Practice

Started by Jason Carroll, April 01, 2014, 09:45:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lwillin

LJHOG

MuskogeeHogFan

We need these guys to step up big time this year and for BA to stay healthy.
Go Hogs Go!

razorjacket43

I just hope they can catch when it comes game time
One day soon, I see a National Championship Trophy in our Trophy Case........................

jdevers

Why didn't they wait a day to post this...April 1 is not a good day for revelations about performance to be released.

lahawg1

I have mixed emotions about this. The last time I heard our WR's were great it turns out we had a really bad defensive secondary so I hope the article is true and it's not the latter.

PennHOG

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

forrest city joe

Quote from: PennHOG on April 02, 2014, 07:11:14 am
Was it turning heads like this?

I will believe it when i see it. i heard the same thing about the defense last year.same goes for B. Allen. i will believe he is better when i see it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: lahawg1 on April 02, 2014, 07:06:41 am
I have mixed emotions about this. The last time I heard our WR's were great it turns out we had a really bad defensive secondary so I hope the article is true and it's not the latter.

Well one of those players you heard about was D Wilson who didn't play last year and CBB called our best WR last spring.

PennHOG

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 02, 2014, 07:19:32 am
I will believe it when i see it. i heard the same thing about the defense last year.same goes for B. Allen. i will believe he is better when i see it.

As The Who said, "We Won't Get Fooled Again".
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

root_hawg

bphi11ips

Cody Hollister may turn out to be one of those J.J. Watt-type 2 stars.  Could be the possession receiver we need to go with Henry.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

I am waiting to see what we get in the Fall with Tigger2.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WILL CLINTON

I hope they turn it around from last year, and that they help us to many, many wins. BUT, can they please stop throwing around the "shock the nation" stuff? Teams who "shock the nation" don't go around talking about how they are going to "shock the nation".
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

trashcan maN

Quote from: WILL CLINTON on April 02, 2014, 08:59:01 am
I hope they turn it around from last year, and that they help us to many, many wins. BUT, can we please stop throwing around the "shock the nation" stuff? Teams who "shock the nation" don't go around talking about how they are going to "shock the nation".
Luckily we're not on the team, so we can talk about whatever we want without affecting anything in the slightest.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: kj0N on April 02, 2014, 09:00:40 am
Luckily we're not on the team, so we can talk about whatever we want without affecting anything in the slightest.

I should have said they instead of we. Old habits.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

RazorBassin

The WR may be a surprise, but I am worried we are going to be to vanilla on offense.  I realize we have several practices to install more offense between now and the first game, but from hearing Chaney's interview yesterday we haven't installed much more offense at all.  I hope it all comes together and this is a breakout year for several of these young men.  I'll support them either way...WPS!

bphi11ips

Quote from: RazorBassin on April 02, 2014, 09:09:14 am

The WR may be a surprise, but I am worried we are going to be to vanilla on offense.

Vanilla is the most popular ice cream flavor among Americans, a survey by the International Ice Cream Association (IICA) has found.

Look at Chaney's four years at Tennessee and you'll feel better if passing is what concerns you.  If we can pass effectively we will.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Vanilla is better than no flavor at all.  Or hell, not even having ice cream. 

hawgmasta

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on April 02, 2014, 10:40:02 am
Vanilla is better than no flavor at all.  Or hell, not even having ice cream.

Hah! I'd say we have had no ice cream for a few years now. I'd take a kids cone from mcdonalds at this point.

upperdeck_hawg

Quote from: LJHOG on April 01, 2014, 11:02:47 pm
PRACTICE!!  We talkin' bout practice!!

this...remember when Robert Thomas was the next coming of Reggie White?
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on April 02, 2014, 12:49:21 pm
this...remember when Robert Thomas was the next coming of Reggie White?

Thomas tied for the third most bench reps for DT's and 4th overall at the NFL Combine. He wasn't a slouch at Arkansas. Maybe a victim of the defensive scheme (plug a gap and sit down instead of attacking), as was Byran Jones.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: twistitup on April 02, 2014, 03:47:09 pm
Does this mean the qb's turned heads too?

Reported 80%+ completions in practice. Either BA is completely healed and really improved (along with our receivers) or our Secondary play is worse than last year, if that is possible.
Go Hogs Go!

rude1

Double edge sword here as many have pointed out. There was many of ordinary receivers last season who looked elite going against our secondary. It's going to take some live game catches before most are going to believe this spring practice propaganda.

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 02, 2014, 03:51:38 pm
our Secondary play is worse than last year, if that is possible.

So this thread is meaningless?

bigred223

We should absolutely be better at wide receiver. How much better? Guess we will find out soon enough. Hollister strikes me as a guy who has what it takes to make an impact. The addition of Wilson is a huge plus. If Cowan can get his academics together he will also help us out. Hatcher has a lot of ability, and I really hope he can put it all together this season. Last year he seemed to lose focus at times and drop balls. Excited to see what we've got this fall.

PorkRinds

We can't really get much worse at WR this year. I'm excited to see what improvements they will have made over the offseason.

MissippHog

Pretty sure they "shocked the nation" last year with their performance.  Let's just hope this year they can bypass all of that and win a few more football games.

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 02, 2014, 04:39:03 pm
We can't really get much worse at WR this year. I'm excited to see what improvements they will have made over the offseason.
I'm just glad the article didn't brag about how the WRs were getting separation since last year pretty much all a WR had to do to have separation from us was turn around and wave at his QB.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: hawgmasta on April 02, 2014, 12:15:11 pm
Hah! I'd say we have had no ice cream for a few years now. I'd take a kids cone from mcdonalds at this point.

I'd take it like this..

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HogFanatic

I don't mind them simplifying things at all, actually.
Arkansas ran a pretty good offense last year. The problem was that the passing game was inefficient. If Brandon Allen really is completing 86% of his passes because the receivers have more sure hands and have simplified their scheme a little, I am anxious to see it for myself.

...HOWEVER, I clearly remember telling folks on this board that he completed 17/17 in a practice LAST spring and how incredible I thought that was.
So, like others, I will wait to see Tue results on the field.

I just wanna see a team that will give the elite teams a scare at this point.
Not asking to beat Alabama, but asking not to get blanked by them for a third year straight. That ish is embarrassing.

ChicoHog

Quote from: PennHOG on April 02, 2014, 07:11:14 am
Was it turning heads like this?

Kind of looks like Collidge from The White Shadow.

razorbackchamps94

Reported 80%+ completions in practice. Either BA is completely healed and really improved (along with our receivers) or our Secondary play is worse than last year, if that is possible.
I'll go with Secondary is worse.

Mike_e

Has there been a scrimmage?

Can you actually tell about the secondary without all eleven out there?

Practice numbers are fine I guess but when have they ever been 'for real' numbers?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Mike_e on April 03, 2014, 05:35:09 am
Has there been a scrimmage?

Can you actually tell about the secondary without all eleven out there?

Practice numbers are fine I guess but when have they ever been 'for real' numbers?

I agree. I think you can tell if someone is using good technique in executing, if they are running good routes and making good cuts and watching the ball in and securing it after the catch and understand the calls and all of that. But live contact with 11 on both sides is about the only way to tell whether they are really improved or not. That being said, I guess we have to trust the coaches with what they are saying since few have seen practices.
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on April 03, 2014, 05:48:23 am
I guess we have to trust the coaches with what they are saying since few have seen .

No. We can take a wait and see approach.

Trust nobody

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Paul

jkstock04

I'm shocked how most are taking this with a grain of salt. Majority of the time a report like this would send most into a frenzy leading to overblown expectations.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bigbadhog

Quote from: jkstock04 on April 03, 2014, 07:40:48 am
I'm shocked how most are taking this with a grain of salt. Majority of the time a report like this would send most into a frenzy leading to overblown expectations.

We've been fooled too many times.  I will believe BB will bring us more than an basic/efficient passing attack when I see it.  That is not his MO and I doubt he ever lets Chaney open it up...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

forrest city joe

It's called learning our lesson. the days of believing what coaches and media tell me are over. show me in games and i will believe it.

The_Iceman

Quote from: forrest city joe on April 03, 2014, 10:07:58 am
It's called learning our lesson. the days of believing what coaches and media tell me are over. show me in games and i will believe it.

How are you the same person that posts about Mike Anderson in Jump Ball?

PorkRinds

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2014, 10:09:33 am

Textbook cognitive dissonance.

jabberjawls

We always hear propaganda like this in the spring.  It keeps everyone interested with anticipation over the summer. Then when the fall gets here, it rarely pans out.  It happens year after year.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

The_Iceman

Quote from: jabberjawls on April 03, 2014, 10:14:14 am
We always hear propaganda like this in the spring.  It keeps everyone interested with anticipation over the summer. Then when the fall gets here, it rarely pans out.  It happens year after year.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.

It happens everywhere at every school.

Mike_e

most here have at least seen a spring practice or two, specifically early ones.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

forrest city joe

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 03, 2014, 10:09:33 am
I am the same person. the basketball program has gotten better every year.i like coach B and support him. (he needs time to fix this mess)but the football program has got worse the last few years.(3 and 9 and 0 and 8 in the sec) so yes i am the same guy. but the truth is the truth.

ICEman

I hope we are not seeing all everything QBs in the spring who turn around and can't break 50% during SEC competition.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."